Rosegarden Sound - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Rosegarden Sound - Ubuntu ; I've installed Rosegarden, JACK and ALSA yet can't get any sound. What have I overlooked? All the best Nic...

  1. Rosegarden Sound

    I've installed Rosegarden, JACK and ALSA yet can't get any sound.

    What have I overlooked?

    All the best

    Nic

  2. Re: Rosegarden Sound

    Nic Oliver wrote:
    > I've installed Rosegarden, JACK and ALSA yet can't get any sound.
    >
    > What have I overlooked?

    A sound source, such as a hard- or software synthesizer. Rosegarden is a
    sequencer and doesn't produce any sound by itself (unless you recorded
    sound with of course).

  3. Re: Rosegarden Sound

    TomB wrote:

    > Nic Oliver wrote:
    >
    >> I've installed Rosegarden, JACK and ALSA yet can't get any sound.
    >>
    >> What have I overlooked?

    > A sound source, such as a hard- or software synthesizer. Rosegarden is a
    > sequencer and doesn't produce any sound by itself (unless you recorded
    > sound with of course).

    I appreciate that - what I forgot to put in the original post is that I
    can't hear the perrecorded samples that come with Rosegarden, or some
    sound files that I alerady have.

  4. Re: Rosegarden Sound

    Nic wrote:
    > TomB wrote:
    >
    >> Nic Oliver wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've installed Rosegarden, JACK and ALSA yet can't get any sound.
    >>>
    >>> What have I overlooked?

    >> A sound source, such as a hard- or software synthesizer. Rosegarden is
    >> a sequencer and doesn't produce any sound by itself (unless you
    >> recorded sound with of course).

    > I appreciate that - what I forgot to put in the original post is that I
    > can't hear the perrecorded samples that come with Rosegarden, or some
    > sound files that I alerady have.

    You have jack running? Having it installed is not enough.
    If jack is running is it set to route the output of rosegarden to your
    soundcard?

  5. Re: Rosegarden Sound

    TomB wrote:
    > Nic wrote:
    >> TomB wrote:

    >>> A sound source, such as a hard- or software synthesizer. Rosegarden
    >>> is a sequencer and doesn't produce any sound by itself (unless you
    >>> recorded sound with of course).

    >> I appreciate that - what I forgot to put in the original post is that
    >> I can't hear the perrecorded samples that come with Rosegarden, or
    >> some sound files that I alerady have.

    > You have jack running? Having it installed is not enough.
    > If jack is running is it set to route the output of rosegarden to your
    > soundcard?

    Tom

    Thanks for your guidance and patience.

    When I have JACK running, how do I ensure that the output is indeed to
    the soundcard?

    All the best

    Nic

  6. Re: Rosegarden Sound

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:50:31 +0100, Nic wrote:

    > TomB wrote:
    >
    >> Nic Oliver wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've installed Rosegarden, JACK and ALSA yet can't get any sound.
    >>>
    >>> What have I overlooked?

    >> A sound source, such as a hard- or software synthesizer. Rosegarden is
    >> a sequencer and doesn't produce any sound by itself (unless you
    >> recorded sound with of course).

    > I appreciate that - what I forgot to put in the original post is that I
    > can't hear the perrecorded samples that come with Rosegarden, or some
    > sound files that I alerady have.

    Nic,

    If these are MIDI files the same still applies. You need a synthesizer
    such as QSynth and you need to load a soundfont such as the excellent
    FluidR3 or the 8mb-gm-gs whatever - just search for soundfonts. Then you
    have to tell Rosie to play through that device.

    Frank

    --
    "Life is not a spectator sport" - Jackie Robinson

+ Reply to Thread