Ubuntu 7.10 install success - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10 install success - Ubuntu ; I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on an Intel MacBook Pro without any mishaps from the Live CD I burned from downloading the i386 file. Not only was the installation trouble-free, but I was set up on my DSL modem without any ...

  1. Ubuntu 7.10 install success

    I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on an Intel MacBook Pro without any mishaps from
    the Live CD I burned from downloading the i386 file. Not only was the
    installation trouble-free, but I was set up on my DSL modem without any
    adjustments on my part. I have read here about such difficulties, but
    they apparently don't apply to Intel MacBook Pro installation. I am now
    in process of downloading codecses to play various video files I have on
    a storage disc, which Ubuntu and Mac OSX access but Vista doesn't.

    Previously, I couldn't even boot up from the Live CD for Ubuntu 7.04,
    let alone install it. The difficulty involved some shell identification
    problem, which went unresponded in the Ubuntu Forum for Intel Mac and
    mystified my knowledgeable Mac-and-Linux-using friend. I had
    successfully booted up from the Ubuntu Live CD for my old PPC Mac, but
    there was no room on its hard disc for installation, and Ubuntu won't
    install on a peripheral disc, even if it is bootable by FireWire link.

    Now I have the best of all worlds, with Mac OSX, Vista, and Ubuntu on
    the same easily portable HD. Which will prevail? I am looking forward to
    using emacs, VIM, Open Office, and Gimp on their native terrain,
    although I used them all in Mac OSX's X11 environment. VI and emacs have
    also been installed in the kernel of OSX back at least to OS 10.1, but I
    doubt that many Mac users ever access their Terminal utility program.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 install success

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:33:31 -0400, arvimide@earthlink.net wrote:

    > I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on an Intel MacBook Pro without any mishaps from
    > the Live CD I burned from downloading the i386 file. Not only was the
    > installation trouble-free, but I was set up on my DSL modem without any
    > adjustments on my part. I have read here about such difficulties, but
    > they apparently don't apply to Intel MacBook Pro installation. I am now
    > in process of downloading codecses to play various video files I have on
    > a storage disc, which Ubuntu and Mac OSX access but Vista doesn't.
    >
    > Previously, I couldn't even boot up from the Live CD for Ubuntu 7.04,
    > let alone install it. The difficulty involved some shell identification
    > problem, which went unresponded in the Ubuntu Forum for Intel Mac and
    > mystified my knowledgeable Mac-and-Linux-using friend. I had
    > successfully booted up from the Ubuntu Live CD for my old PPC Mac, but
    > there was no room on its hard disc for installation, and Ubuntu won't
    > install on a peripheral disc, even if it is bootable by FireWire link.
    >
    > Now I have the best of all worlds, with Mac OSX, Vista, and Ubuntu on
    > the same easily portable HD. Which will prevail? I am looking forward to
    > using emacs, VIM, Open Office, and Gimp on their native terrain,
    > although I used them all in Mac OSX's X11 environment. VI and emacs have
    > also been installed in the kernel of OSX back at least to OS 10.1, but I
    > doubt that many Mac users ever access their Terminal utility program.

    Well on my pc, I can run either 7.04 or 7.10 from the live cd for short
    while but not long enough to try a hd install. 6.06.1 runs pretty solid
    and is installed on a old hd. I've had no luck with other distributions. I
    don't know why this is, it could be video problems (mine is built in).
    My son is able to run and install both 7.04 and 7.10 on his Sony machine.
    Dave Cohen

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 install success

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:33:31 -0400, arvimide@earthlink.net wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on an Intel MacBook Pro without any mishaps from
    >> the Live CD I burned from downloading the i386 file. Not only was the
    >> installation trouble-free, but I was set up on my DSL modem without any
    >> adjustments on my part. I have read here about such difficulties, but
    >> they apparently don't apply to Intel MacBook Pro installation. I am now
    >> in process of downloading codecses to play various video files I have on
    >> a storage disc, which Ubuntu and Mac OSX access but Vista doesn't.
    >>
    >> Previously, I couldn't even boot up from the Live CD for Ubuntu 7.04,
    >> let alone install it. The difficulty involved some shell identification
    >> problem, which went unresponded in the Ubuntu Forum for Intel Mac and
    >> mystified my knowledgeable Mac-and-Linux-using friend. I had
    >> successfully booted up from the Ubuntu Live CD for my old PPC Mac, but
    >> there was no room on its hard disc for installation, and Ubuntu won't
    >> install on a peripheral disc, even if it is bootable by FireWire link.
    >>
    >> Now I have the best of all worlds, with Mac OSX, Vista, and Ubuntu on
    >> the same easily portable HD. Which will prevail? I am looking forward to
    >> using emacs, VIM, Open Office, and Gimp on their native terrain,
    >> although I used them all in Mac OSX's X11 environment. VI and emacs have
    >> also been installed in the kernel of OSX back at least to OS 10.1, but I
    >> doubt that many Mac users ever access their Terminal utility program.

    > Well on my pc, I can run either 7.04 or 7.10 from the live cd for short
    > while but not long enough to try a hd install. 6.06.1 runs pretty solid
    > and is installed on a old hd. I've had no luck with other distributions. I
    > don't know why this is, it could be video problems (mine is built in).
    > My son is able to run and install both 7.04 and 7.10 on his Sony machine.
    > Dave Cohen

    Try adding the boot options:
    noapic nolapic

    That worked for me on an older machine.