New to Linux - need advice - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on New to Linux - need advice - Ubuntu ; Okay, I just installed Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell that formerly had Vista on it. Everything went fine, but I can't figure out how to install Firefox. The download keeps opening up in Ark and I don't know what to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. New to Linux - need advice

    Okay, I just installed Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell that formerly had Vista on
    it. Everything went fine, but I can't figure out how to install Firefox.
    The download keeps opening up in Ark and I don't know what to do with it.
    I'm assuming it has to been built from all these files, but I've never done
    that.

    Al

  2. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    > Okay, I just installed Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell that formerly had Vista on
    > it. Everything went fine, but I can't figure out how to install Firefox.
    > The download keeps opening up in Ark and I don't know what to do with it.
    > I'm assuming it has to been built from all these files, but I've never done
    > that.

    Which version of Gutsy did you use ? - the standard desktop version
    comes with it built in (not sure what the alternate / server editions
    bundle with).

  3. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:16:19 +0000, Al wrote:

    > Okay, I just installed Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell that formerly had Vista on
    > it. Everything went fine, but I can't figure out how to install Firefox.
    > The download keeps opening up in Ark and I don't know what to do with
    > it. I'm assuming it has to been built from all these files, but I've
    > never done that.

    Ok first off, to install *anything*, stop thinking windows.

    Stop thinking "I need to go to website X, download Y, run setup program
    Z".

    Then, go to System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager

    Use *that* to install your software. Once you learn how to use it, you'll
    wonder how you ever lived without it. =)

    Secondly, Firefox comes already installed with Ubuntu. Why are you trying
    to install it?

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:12:22 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:16:19 +0000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, I just installed Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell that formerly had Vista
    >> on it. Everything went fine, but I can't figure out how to install
    >> Firefox. The download keeps opening up in Ark and I don't know what to
    >> do with it. I'm assuming it has to been built from all these files, but
    >> I've never done that.

    > Ok first off, to install *anything*, stop thinking windows.
    >
    > Stop thinking "I need to go to website X, download Y, run setup program
    > Z".
    >
    > Then, go to System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager
    >
    > Use *that* to install your software. Once you learn how to use it,
    > you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. =)
    >
    > Secondly, Firefox comes already installed with Ubuntu. Why are you
    > trying to install it?

    Yeah...if you don't see the little icon on the upper left, go to: the
    Ubuntu symbol/Internet/Firefox. It should be there. Good luck and I'm
    sure you'll like it better than Vista. Hell...I liked Windows 3.11 better
    than Vista...

  5. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:16:19 +0000, Al wrote:

    > Okay, I just installed Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell that formerly had Vista on
    > it. Everything went fine, but I can't figure out how to install Firefox.
    > The download keeps opening up in Ark and I don't know what to do with
    > it. I'm assuming it has to been built from all these files, but I've
    > never done that.
    >
    > Al

    Ummm, Firefox is already installed. It is part of the default install.

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  6. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Colin Wilson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Okay, I just installed Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell that formerly had Vista on
    >> it. Everything went fine, but I can't figure out how to install Firefox.
    >> The download keeps opening up in Ark and I don't know what to do with it.
    >> I'm assuming it has to been built from all these files, but I've never done
    >> that.

    > Which version of Gutsy did you use ? - the standard desktop version
    > comes with it built in (not sure what the alternate / server editions
    > bundle with).

    They all come with firefox installed IIRC.

    The only versions I know that don't are xubuntu and fluxbuntu.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On 20 Oct 2007 03:10:18 GMT, Moog wrote:
    > Colin Wilson illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Okay, I just installed Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell that formerly had Vista on
    >>> it. Everything went fine, but I can't figure out how to install Firefox.
    >>> The download keeps opening up in Ark and I don't know what to do with it.
    >>> I'm assuming it has to been built from all these files, but I've never done
    >>> that.

    >> Which version of Gutsy did you use ? - the standard desktop version
    >> comes with it built in (not sure what the alternate / server editions
    >> bundle with).

    > They all come with firefox installed IIRC.
    >
    > The only versions I know that don't are xubuntu and fluxbuntu.

    My Kubuntu did not install firefox by default. I had to install it with
    Adept. I guess they figure KDE users prefer Konqueror. I don't. I also
    had to use Adept to install Thunderbird and slrn.

    To the OP if you are using Kubuntu just go to K menu ->System->Adept and
    install from there. No need to mess with the file you downloaded from
    mozilla. The current version in the repositories is 2.o.o.7. I'm sure
    that 2.0.0.8 will be added shortly after testing is finished. The
    developers have been a little busy with the new Gutsy 7.10 release.

    Cheers,
    Goph

    --
    Google is your friend LRU# 195835
    http://www.google.com

  8. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Colin Wilson
    wrote in news:MPG.21833f2a235500e398a3cd@news.individual.ne t:

    >> Okay, I just installed Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell that formerly had Vista
    >> on it. Everything went fine, but I can't figure out how to install
    >> Firefox. The download keeps opening up in Ark and I don't know what
    >> to do with it. I'm assuming it has to been built from all these
    >> files, but I've never done that.

    > Which version of Gutsy did you use ? - the standard desktop version
    > comes with it built in (not sure what the alternate / server editions
    > bundle with).

    Okay, should have said that I installed the Kubuntu desktop version. I
    thought the main difference was the desktop.

    Al

  9. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Gopher wrote in
    news:QnjSi.11442$4V6.11310@newssvr14.news.prodigy. net:

    > also had to use Adept to install Thunderbird and slrn.
    >
    > To the OP if you are using Kubuntu just go to K menu ->System->Adept
    > and install from there. No need to mess with the file you downloaded
    > from mozilla. The current version in the repositories is 2.o.o.7. I'm
    > sure that 2.0.0.8 will be added shortly after testing is finished. The
    > developers have been a little busy with the new Gutsy 7.10 release.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Goph

    Thanks, I'll try that.
    Al

  10. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Gopher wrote in
    news:QnjSi.11442$4V6.11310@newssvr14.news.prodigy. net:

    > To the OP if you are using Kubuntu just go to K menu ->System->Adept
    > and install from there. No need to mess with the file you downloaded
    > from mozilla. The current version in the repositories is 2.o.o.7. I'm
    > sure that 2.0.0.8 will be added shortly after testing is finished. The
    > developers have been a little busy with the new Gutsy 7.10 release.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Goph

    Thanks, I'll try that.
    Al

  11. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    TJ wrote in news:jbbSi.54$ze6.49@newsfe04.lga:

    > Yeah...if you don't see the little icon on the upper left, go to: the
    > Ubuntu symbol/Internet/Firefox. It should be there. Good luck and I'm
    > sure you'll like it better than Vista. Hell...I liked Windows 3.11
    > better than Vista...

    I prefer OS/2 Warp to anything else even after all these years of no
    updates. But it won't run on new equipment, so I'm trying something new.
    Vista doesn't cut it for me and I don't want another machine with XP
    either. I'll get Ubuntu figured out pretty soon, it's just a learning
    curve right now that I have to overcome.

    Thanks,
    Al

  12. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Joe wrote in news:SLadnfIZo8-
    FyoTanZ2dnUVZ_ojinZ2d@giganews.com:

    > Ummm, Firefox is already installed. It is part of the default install.

    Yeah, but I couldn't find it and didn't know where to look. The desktop was
    completely bare and it isn't in the taskbar.

  13. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    TJ wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:12:22 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:16:19 +0000, Al wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay, I just installed Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell that formerly had Vista
    >>> on it. Everything went fine, but I can't figure out how to install

    > sure you'll like it better than Vista. Hell...I liked Windows 3.11 better
    > than Vista...

    I still have 2 or 3 sets of dos 6.22 and win 3.11 floppies.

    you need some copies?
    :-D :-D :-D

    cool man, internet browsing under dos/win311 ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  14. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:51:18 +0200, xubunt6 wrote:

    > TJ wrote:

    >> sure you'll like it better than Vista. Hell...I liked Windows 3.11
    >> better than Vista...

    > I still have 2 or 3 sets of dos 6.22 and win 3.11 floppies.
    >
    > you need some copies?
    > :-D :-D :-D
    >
    > cool man, internet browsing under dos/win311 ...

    Probably the only secure windows platform these days. I mean, who is
    going to write malware for 3.11? =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  15. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:09:07 -0500
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Probably the only secure windows platform these days. I mean, who is
    > going to write malware for 3.11? =)

    A batch file will run on it ;-)

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  16. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:41:55 GMT, Al
    wrote:

    >Joe wrote in news:SLadnfIZo8-
    >FyoTanZ2dnUVZ_ojinZ2d@giganews.com:
    >
    >> Ummm, Firefox is already installed. It is part of the default install.

    >Yeah, but I couldn't find it and didn't know where to look. The desktop was
    >completely bare and it isn't in the taskbar.

    Applications->Internet->Firefox Web Browser on my 7.04 and 7.10 (also on
    the top panel on both)

    Roy

  17. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Roy wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:41:55 GMT, Al
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Joe wrote in news:SLadnfIZo8-
    >> FyoTanZ2dnUVZ_ojinZ2d@giganews.com:
    >>
    >>> Ummm, Firefox is already installed. It is part of the default install.

    >> Yeah, but I couldn't find it and didn't know where to look. The desktop was
    >> completely bare and it isn't in the taskbar.

    > Applications->Internet->Firefox Web Browser on my 7.04 and 7.10 (also on
    > the top panel on both)
    >
    > Roy

    Right click Accessories on your task bar. Then
    click Edit Menus.
    In the window that opens up click on Internet
    under Menus. Then under items
    check to see if Firefox has a check mark. If not
    put one there.
    If you want it on your taskbar, after you find it
    on your machine, Right click your taskbar.
    Click Add to Panel. Click the Application Launcher
    button. Scroll down to Internet and click on
    the diamond beside it. Click on FF to highligt it.
    Then click the add button. Then close.
    caver1

  18. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    In , on 10/20/07
    at 10:39 AM, Al said:

    >I prefer OS/2 Warp to anything else even after all these years of no
    >updates. But it won't run on new equipment, so I'm trying something new.
    >Vista doesn't cut it for me and I don't want another machine with XP
    >either. I'll get Ubuntu figured out pretty soon, it's just a learning
    >curve right now that I have to overcome.

    eComStation (OEM OS/2) will run on some new equipment (some 64 bit
    motherboards, for example, though it isn't 64 bit.) It has many updated
    drivers compared with Warp. Check www.ecomstation.com for info.

    Ubuntu question - I managed to install 7.04 on my second hard drive (I use
    IBM's Boot Manager to control bootup. I have an XP partition, also, for
    occasional use. eCS is my primary OS.) Following advice, I separated
    home and root directories. Does this mean I can upgrade from 7.04 to
    7.10? If so, how do I do it? I know nothing about Linux, and my reading
    hasn't helped yet. Apparently, this isn't an update that Ubuntu does
    itself, so I'd need to download and write te alternate 7.10 CD and use
    that?

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  19. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:09:07 -0500
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> Probably the only secure windows platform these days. I mean, who is
    >> going to write malware for 3.11? =)

    > A batch file will run on it ;-)

    You missed the question: who will write it??
    ;-)
    No volunteers yet?

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  20. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    wrote in message
    news:471a7732$1$nynaurff$mr2ice@newsgroups.comcast .net...
    > In , on 10/20/07
    > at 10:39 AM, Al said:
    >
    > >I prefer OS/2 Warp to anything else even after all these years of no
    > >updates. But it won't run on new equipment, so I'm trying something new.
    > >Vista doesn't cut it for me and I don't want another machine with XP
    > >either. I'll get Ubuntu figured out pretty soon, it's just a learning
    > >curve right now that I have to overcome.

    > eComStation (OEM OS/2) will run on some new equipment (some 64 bit
    > motherboards, for example, though it isn't 64 bit.) It has many updated
    > drivers compared with Warp. Check www.ecomstation.com for info.
    >
    > Ubuntu question - I managed to install 7.04 on my second hard drive (I use
    > IBM's Boot Manager to control bootup. I have an XP partition, also, for
    > occasional use. eCS is my primary OS.) Following advice, I separated
    > home and root directories. Does this mean I can upgrade from 7.04 to
    > 7.10? If so, how do I do it? I know nothing about Linux, and my reading
    > hasn't helped yet. Apparently, this isn't an update that Ubuntu does
    > itself, so I'd need to download and write te alternate 7.10 CD and use
    > that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Alan

    If you go to ubuntu's home page, www.ubuntu.com ,.it has a link that tells
    how to upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10. You have to have all the other updates
    installed before you can update from Fiesty to Gutsy. I did it once from
    Edgy to Fiesty but then I downloaded the new iso. It is a good idea to have
    the latest versions on CD. You may want to loan it to a friend. After all,
    friends don't let friends suffer from the Vista as they look out the
    Windows.
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast