New to Linux - need advice - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on New to Linux - need advice - Ubuntu ; Al wrote: > TJ wrote in news:jbbSi.54$ze6.49@newsfe04.lga: > >> Yeah...if you don't see the little icon on the upper left, go to: the >> Ubuntu symbol/Internet/Firefox. It should be there. Good luck and I'm >> sure you'll like it better ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Al wrote:
    > TJ wrote in news:jbbSi.54$ze6.49@newsfe04.lga:
    >
    >> Yeah...if you don't see the little icon on the upper left, go to: the
    >> Ubuntu symbol/Internet/Firefox. It should be there. Good luck and I'm
    >> sure you'll like it better than Vista. Hell...I liked Windows 3.11
    >> better than Vista...
    >>

    > I prefer OS/2 Warp to anything else even after all these years of no
    > updates. But it won't run on new equipment, so I'm trying something new.
    > Vista doesn't cut it for me and I don't want another machine with XP
    > either. I'll get Ubuntu figured out pretty soon, it's just a learning
    > curve right now that I have to overcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Al

    Al, If I were you (new to linux) I would stay away from anything that is
    BETA. I found that 6.06 LTS version of Ubuntu is the most stable, it is
    security-supported until June 2009. The next LTS (Long Term Support)
    release, 8.04 LTS, is due in April 2008.

  2. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    caver1 wrote in

    > Right click Accessories on your task bar. Then
    > click Edit Menus.
    > In the window that opens up click on Internet
    > under Menus. Then under items
    > check to see if Firefox has a check mark. If not
    > put one there.

    Firefox is there, but greyed out. I downloaded Firefox, now if I could just
    figure out what to do with the download.

  3. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Al wrote:
    > caver1 wrote in
    >
    >> Right click Accessories on your task bar. Then
    >> click Edit Menus.
    >> In the window that opens up click on Internet
    >> under Menus. Then under items
    >> check to see if Firefox has a check mark. If not
    >> put one there.

    .. I downloaded Firefox, now if I could just
    > figure out what to do with the download.

    ??

    You downloaded firefox. how? apt-get ... of synaptic package manager?
    And what is the context with the "putting an icon in the menu?"
    I did not follow it, but you lost me here ...
    Perhaps you should wait for caverl ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  4. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Al wrote:
    > caver1 wrote in
    >
    >> Right click Accessories on your task bar. Then
    >> click Edit Menus.
    >> In the window that opens up click on Internet
    >> under Menus. Then under items
    >> check to see if Firefox has a check mark. If not
    >> put one there.

    > Firefox is there, but greyed out. I downloaded Firefox, now if I could just
    > figure out what to do with the download.

    It is easier if you go to Synaptic Package Manager
    find Firefox and either install it if the box is
    clear, or reinstall it if it is green.
    Or use Ubuntuzilla. It is also in SPM. It should
    already be loaded. You can go to Ubuntuzilla Wiki
    for instructions.
    caver1

  5. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    caver1 wrote in

    > It is easier if you go to Synaptic Package Manager
    > find Firefox and either install it if the box is
    > clear, or reinstall it if it is green.
    > Or use Ubuntuzilla. It is also in SPM. It should
    > already be loaded. You can go to Ubuntuzilla Wiki
    > for instructions.
    > caver1

    I did it another way. I downloaded Ubuntu and installed it over Kubuntu.
    Now I have Firefox and even have an emailer program to boot. Yay.
    Alan

  6. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    xubunt6 wrote in news:471b3231$0$24397$5fc3050
    @news.tiscali.nl:

    > Al wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote in
    >>
    >>> Right click Accessories on your task bar. Then
    >>> click Edit Menus.
    >>> In the window that opens up click on Internet
    >>> under Menus. Then under items
    >>> check to see if Firefox has a check mark. If not
    >>> put one there.

    > . I downloaded Firefox, now if I could just
    >> figure out what to do with the download.

    > ??
    >
    > You downloaded firefox. how? apt-get ... of synaptic package manager?
    > And what is the context with the "putting an icon in the menu?"
    > I did not follow it, but you lost me here ...
    > Perhaps you should wait for caverl ...

    I downloaded the Linux version of Firefox from Mozilla. I have no idea
    what 'putting an icon in the menu' means. That was from another poster.
    Anyway, I now have Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu and have Firefox. Now I can
    try it out.
    Al

  7. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Al wrote:
    > xubunt6 wrote in news:471b3231$0$24397$5fc3050
    > @news.tiscali.nl:
    >
    >> Al wrote:
    >>> caver1 wrote in

    >> . I downloaded Firefox, now if I could just
    >>> figure out what to do with the download.

    >> ??
    >>
    >> You downloaded firefox. how? apt-get ... of synaptic package manager?
    >> And what is the context with the "putting an icon in the menu?"
    >> I did not follow it, but you lost me here ...
    >> Perhaps you should wait for caverl ...

    > I downloaded the Linux version of Firefox from Mozilla. I have no idea
    > what 'putting an icon in the menu' means.

    It means there will be an icon on your upper menu that you can click on
    to launch or call up Firefox. That icon is there by default in Gutsy,
    the newest distribution of Ubuntu.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  8. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On 2007-10-20, Al wrote:
    > Joe wrote in news:SLadnfIZo8-
    > FyoTanZ2dnUVZ_ojinZ2d@giganews.com:
    >
    >> Ummm, Firefox is already installed. It is part of the default install.

    > Yeah, but I couldn't find it and didn't know where to look. The desktop was
    > completely bare and it isn't in the taskbar.

    Press Alt-F2 type in firefox and press Enter. Sometimes once just has to
    tell the computer what you require ;-)

  9. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    arvimide@earthlink.net wrote:
    > Al wrote:
    >> xubunt6 wrote in news:471b3231$0$24397$5fc3050
    >> @news.tiscali.nl:

    >>> . I downloaded Firefox, now if I could just
    >>> ??
    >>>
    >>> You downloaded firefox. how? apt-get ... of synaptic package manager?
    >>> And what is the context with the "putting an icon in the menu?"
    >>> I did not follow it, but you lost me here ...
    >>> Perhaps you should wait for caverl ...

    >> I downloaded the Linux version of Firefox from Mozilla. I have no idea
    >> what 'putting an icon in the menu' means.

    > It means there will be an icon on your upper menu that you can click on
    > to launch or call up Firefox. That icon is there by default in Gutsy,
    > the newest distribution of Ubuntu.

    most simple way to install any software in ubuntu:
    open terminal:
    sudo apt-get update
    apt-cache search firefox
    (find something like mozilla firefox)
    apt-cache show mozilla-firefox (see what you get)
    sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox (or whatever)

    and you should have mozilla-firefox. with an icon to click on. Have a
    look at the desired language version.

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  10. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    xubunt6 wrote:

    > most simple way to install any software in ubuntu:
    > open terminal:

    A DOS window ???

    > sudo apt-get update
    > apt-cache search firefox
    > (find something like mozilla firefox)
    > apt-cache show mozilla-firefox (see what you get)
    > sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox (or whatever)
    >
    > and you should have mozilla-firefox. with an icon to click on. Have a
    > look at the desired language version.

  11. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:48:01 -0600
    donald wrote:

    > xubunt6 wrote:
    >

    > > most simple way to install any software in ubuntu:
    > > open terminal:

    > A DOS window ???

    Yes, Ubuntu is really a re-badged version of Windows for Workgroups 3.11

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  12. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:15:36 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:48:01 -0600
    > donald wrote:
    >
    >> xubunt6 wrote:
    >>
    >> > most simple way to install any software in ubuntu:
    >> > open terminal:

    >> A DOS window ???

    > Yes, Ubuntu is really a re-badged version of Windows for Workgroups 3.11

    Which is now out of copyright, because Bill Gates has been dead for over
    70 years.

  13. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    donald wrote:
    > xubunt6 wrote:
    >

    >> most simple way to install any software in ubuntu:
    >> open terminal:

    > A DOS window ???

    No, as he stated, a "terminal."

    Not Microsoft DOS. Not PC-DOS. Not IBM-DOS. Not Apple DOS. ....

    "Terminal" could also imply a "shell," a "console," a "TTY." Your choice.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  14. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:21:01 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    wrote:

    >donald wrote:
    >> xubunt6 wrote:
    >>

    >>> most simple way to install any software in ubuntu:
    >>> open terminal:

    >> A DOS window ???

    >No, as he stated, a "terminal."
    >
    >Not Microsoft DOS. Not PC-DOS. Not IBM-DOS. Not Apple DOS. ....
    >
    >"Terminal" could also imply a "shell," a "console," a "TTY." Your choice.

    we used to refer to it as the command line interface. Many still do.

    donald wrote:
    > xubunt6 wrote:
    >

    >> most simple way to install any software in ubuntu:
    >> open terminal:

    > A DOS window ???

    Oh dear, welcome to linux.
    What you call a dos window, has linux names like:
    shell, bash , shell bash or just: terminal.

    but, good you say so, now we know how much you used it so far ... ;-)

    >> sudo apt-get update
    >> apt-cache search firefox
    >> (find something like mozilla firefox)
    >> apt-cache show mozilla-firefox (see what you get)
    >> sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox (or whatever)
    >>
    >> and you should have mozilla-firefox. with an icon to click on. Have a
    >> look at the desired language version.

    before i forget, the remove, just in case:
    sudo apt-get remove mozilla-firefox

    the gui version is: synaptic package manager, perhaps you'd better start
    there. It's pretty intuitive, search firefox, rightclick for install and
    apply or so.

    good luck. do not do anything you do not "trust" ...

    (Trevor Best: work on it's way ... ;-) )

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."
    Less gui, less icons, less trouble?

  16. Re: New to Linux - need advice

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:48:01 -0600
    > donald wrote:
    >
    >> xubunt6 wrote:
    >>
    >>> most simple way to install any software in ubuntu:
    >>> open terminal:

    >> A DOS window ???

    > Yes, Ubuntu is really a re-badged version of Windows for Workgroups 3.11

    Let's call it: doslinwin 3.12 ...