TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects - Ubuntu ; 7.04 upgraded to 7.10 Ubuntu After enabling visual effects the title bar has been removed from all windows. Is there any way to get the title bar back? I am not too sure how/where to configure "visual effects". Thx...

  1. TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects

    7.04 upgraded to 7.10 Ubuntu

    After enabling visual effects the title bar has been removed from all
    windows. Is there any way to get the title bar back? I am not too sure
    how/where to configure "visual effects".

    Thx

  2. Re: TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:25:21 -0500, Muffin wrote:

    > 7.04 upgraded to 7.10 Ubuntu
    >
    > After enabling visual effects the title bar has been removed from all
    > windows. Is there any way to get the title bar back? I am not too sure
    > how/where to configure "visual effects".
    >
    > Thx

    I did not mean that I was missing the titleBar but that I am missing the
    close, expand and mininize buttons on the far right hand side of the
    titlebar. Is this normal for Visual Effects ?

  3. Re: TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects

    Muffin wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:25:21 -0500, Muffin wrote:
    >

    >> 7.04 upgraded to 7.10 Ubuntu
    >>
    >> After enabling visual effects the title bar has been removed from all
    >> windows. Is there any way to get the title bar back? I am not too sure
    >> how/where to configure "visual effects".
    >>
    >> Thx
    >>

    > I did not mean that I was missing the titleBar but that I am missing the
    > close, expand and mininize buttons on the far right hand side of the
    > titlebar. Is this normal for Visual Effects ?

    I don't have 7.10 or Visual Effects.

    But I can't help wondering if maybe your window is positioned a little
    too far to the right, and those buttons are off-screen?

    I see this a lot when I use remote desktop, and the remote resolution
    exceeds the local screen resolution. I usually don't worry about it
    because all of those functions are available under the Window Menu at
    the top-left corner, plus more, and several keyboard shortcuts for those
    who prefer the keyboard over the mouse.

    You also can access this Window Menu by right-clicking anywhere in the
    titlebar, including on top of the buttons.

    [Above is for GNOME on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. YMMV.]

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  4. Re: TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects

    Muffin wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:25:21 -0500, Muffin wrote:
    >
    >> 7.04 upgraded to 7.10 Ubuntu
    >>
    >> After enabling visual effects the title bar has been removed from all
    >> windows. Is there any way to get the title bar back? I am not too sure
    >> how/where to configure "visual effects".
    >>
    >> Thx

    > I did not mean that I was missing the titleBar but that I am missing the
    > close, expand and mininize buttons on the far right hand side of the
    > titlebar. Is this normal for Visual Effects ?

    This was a known bug in 7.04, but it's a surprise they didn't fix it for
    7.10. You'll need to Google around, there are some fixes available (well,
    for 7.04 at least). That's how I got them back.

    Good luck,
    Marc
    --
    MarineYacht Yacht Charters
    www.MarineYacht.com

  5. Re: TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:25:21 -0500, Muffin wrote:

    > 7.04 upgraded to 7.10 Ubuntu
    >
    > After enabling visual effects the title bar has been removed from all
    > windows. Is there any way to get the title bar back? I am not too sure
    > how/where to configure "visual effects".
    >
    > Thx

    Rather than sod around looking for fixes, I downloaded emerald theme
    manager and used that. It fixed my titlebar issues.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  6. Re: TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects

    Muffin wrote:
    > 7.04 upgraded to 7.10 Ubuntu
    >
    > After enabling visual effects the title bar has been removed from all
    > windows. Is there any way to get the title bar back? I am not too sure
    > how/where to configure "visual effects".
    >
    > Thx

    I had the same problem at first.
    What video card are you using?. I have a Nvidia
    based card. When I started using the restricted
    drivers for it everything started working. In the
    meantime go to Apperence under preferences.
    Then click the Visual Effects tab. click the
    None button and see if you get the title bar back.
    If you are using another vid card go to Screen and
    Graphics under Administration. Click the
    Graphics Card tab. click the choose driver by
    model button and see if it has what you need.
    After one of the above go back into Visual Effects
    and chose one of the other buttons and see how
    everything works.
    caver1

  7. Re: TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects

    On 2007-10-19, Muffin wrote:
    > 7.04 upgraded to 7.10 Ubuntu
    >
    > After enabling visual effects the title bar has been removed from all
    > windows. Is there any way to get the title bar back? I am not too sure
    > how/where to configure "visual effects".

    I tried to get visual effects working on Kubuntu 7.04 earlier in the year and
    had the same problem.

    The "title bar" you speak of is actually called the "window decorations".

    I can't offer a fix but the correct name may help you google.

    --
    -Toby

  8. Re: TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:25:21 -0500, Muffin wrote:

    > 7.04 upgraded to 7.10 Ubuntu
    >
    > After enabling visual effects the title bar has been removed from all
    > windows. Is there any way to get the title bar back? I am not too sure
    > how/where to configure "visual effects".
    >
    > Thx

    Thx everyone I got it working. I installed emerald as well as download
    new drivers for my Nvidia card. The only issue now is the my title bar is
    invisible. It is there but invisible. If I take off the focus by clicking
    on another window I can see the control boxes on the far right side. I
    would love to have a solid bar or solid "window decorations".

    Thx everyone for all your help!!

  9. Re: TitleBar missing after enabling Visual Effects

    On 18-Oct-07 10:25 PM, Muffin wrote:
    > 7.04 upgraded to 7.10 Ubuntu
    >
    > After enabling visual effects the title bar has been removed from all
    > windows. Is there any way to get the title bar back? I am not too sure
    > how/where to configure "visual effects".
    >
    > Thx

    I had the same issue in 7.04 and 7.10. The desktop effects worked at
    first on 7.10 but on subsequent boots (the machine is dual-boot) all of
    the window decorations disappeared. A clean install seems to have fixed
    the problem.

+ Reply to Thread