Pan Newsreader - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Pan Newsreader - Ubuntu ; Ubuntu 7.04 using the Pan News reader. Is there a way to download part of a video, for preview, without downloading the entire file. TIA...

  1. Pan Newsreader

    Ubuntu 7.04 using the Pan News reader.

    Is there a way to download part of a video, for preview, without
    downloading the entire file. TIA

  2. Re: Pan Newsreader

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:05:47 +0000, Lemer wrote:

    > Ubuntu 7.04 using the Pan News reader.
    >
    > Is there a way to download part of a video, for preview, without
    > downloading the entire file. TIA

    Look for a sample that is usually posted with these movies in an
    additional seperate archive. I don't think there is a way to part view a
    movie when you only have some of the RAR files

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  3. Re: Pan Newsreader

    In article <7UbPi.9480$o15.4307@newsfet05.ams>,
    mcr.mame@nospamplzgmail.com says...

    >On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:05:47 +0000, Lemer wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu 7.04 using the Pan News reader.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to download part of a video, for preview, without
    >> downloading the entire file. TIA

    >Look for a sample that is usually posted with these movies in an
    >additional seperate archive. I don't think there is a way to part view a
    >movie when you only have some of the RAR files

    not talking about rar files just .avi or mpg.
    Is thre any option in Pan to only d/l a portion ot a post ??

  4. Re: Pan Newsreader

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:02:46 +0000, Lemer wrote:

    > In article <7UbPi.9480$o15.4307@newsfet05.ams>,
    > mcr.mame@nospamplzgmail.com says...
    >>

    >>On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:05:47 +0000, Lemer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu 7.04 using the Pan News reader.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to download part of a video, for preview, without
    >>> downloading the entire file. TIA

    >>Look for a sample that is usually posted with these movies in an
    >>additional seperate archive. I don't think there is a way to part view
    >>a movie when you only have some of the RAR files
    >>

    > not talking about rar files just .avi or mpg. Is thre any option in Pan
    > to only d/l a portion ot a post ??

    Not as far as I know..

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  5. Re: Pan Newsreader

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:05:47 +0000, Lemer wrote:

    > Ubuntu 7.04 using the Pan News reader.
    >
    > Is there a way to download part of a video, for preview, without
    > downloading the entire file. TIA

    Unfortunately, no.

    I believe that it is considered netiquette if not actually in a FAQ or
    two somewhere in the alt.binaries.* groups to provide a still or two for
    sampling, but we all know how netiquette and FAQs go.

    Sounds like a nice newsreader feature, though, doesn't it? "random stills"?

    Unfortunately, to get those stills, your program would still have to fish
    through the multimedia binary-- and, presumably, if you were doing a mass
    still survey, and thought the stills from a binary were interesting, you
    might actually end up downloading the thing twice.

    --

    Kill. Kill! KILL!

    < comp.os.linux.misc

  6. Re: Pan Newsreader

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:02:46 +0000, Lemer wrote:

    > not talking about rar files just .avi or mpg.
    > Is thre any option in Pan to only d/l a portion ot a post ??

    No.

    Not possible with *any* newsreader, AFAIK.

  7. Re: Pan Newsreader

    In article ,
    youmustbejoking@lan.invalid says...

    >On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:02:46 +0000, Lemer wrote:
    >
    >> not talking about rar files just .avi or mpg.
    >> Is thre any option in Pan to only d/l a portion ot a post ??

    >No.
    >
    >Not possible with *any* newsreader, AFAIK.

    Just for information purposes;
    I use WinVN and have the capability to d/l any amount of a post.
    Let's say there is an .avi with 60 parts. I can d/l 5 parts (making sure I
    have the first one), playback on VLC, and then decide if I want to d/l the
    entire post. Works with rar's also, but not zips (you need the whole
    post). Unfortunately, WinVN is a "Windoze" only news reader.
    For me, it would be nice if Pan had the same capability because I only
    have a limited amount of megs available for downloading. I know, I know,
    get an unlimited account !! Thanks for your response.

  8. Re: Pan Newsreader

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:25:09 +0000, Lemer wrote:

    Snipped

    > Just for information purposes;
    > I use WinVN and have the capability to d/l any amount of a post. Let's
    > say there is an .avi with 60 parts. I can d/l 5 parts (making sure I
    > have the first one), playback on VLC, and then decide if I want to d/l
    > the entire post. Works with rar's also, but not zips (you need the
    > whole post). Unfortunately, WinVN is a "Windoze" only news reader. For
    > me, it would be nice if Pan had the same capability because I only have
    > a limited amount of megs available for downloading. I know, I know, get
    > an unlimited account !! Thanks for your response.

    Well pan doesnt have that capability. Why dont you see if the program
    WinVN works under wine? In addition VLC is available from the ubuntu
    repositories.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  9. Re: Pan Newsreader

    In article ,
    mcr.mame@nospamplzgmail.com says...

    >On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:25:09 +0000, Lemer wrote:
    >
    >Snipped
    >
    >> Just for information purposes;
    >> I use WinVN and have the capability to d/l any amount of a post. Let's
    >> say there is an .avi with 60 parts. I can d/l 5 parts (making sure I
    >> have the first one), playback on VLC, and then decide if I want to d/l
    >> the entire post. Works with rar's also, but not zips (you need the
    >> whole post). Unfortunately, WinVN is a "Windoze" only news reader. For
    >> me, it would be nice if Pan had the same capability because I only have
    >> a limited amount of megs available for downloading. I know, I know, get
    >> an unlimited account !! Thanks for your response.

    >Well pan doesnt have that capability. Why dont you see if the program
    >WinVN works under wine? In addition VLC is available from the ubuntu
    >repositories.

    Thanks for tip on "Wine". I've used VLC for a long time under windows and I
    was happy to see it is supported by Ubuntu.

  10. Re: Pan Newsreader

    www.giganews.com =P

    --
    Stephan