WoW and Wine Question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on WoW and Wine Question - Ubuntu ; Hi All, I play WoW, but I was really lazy and just 'pointed' my startup script to the WoW.exe file on the windows partition (which is getting dusty now).. but... When updates come I log off and go into Windows ...

  1. WoW and Wine Question

    Hi All,
    I play WoW, but I was really lazy and just 'pointed' my startup script to
    the WoW.exe file on the windows partition (which is getting dusty now)..
    but...

    When updates come I log off and go into Windows and start WoW.. then exit/
    reboot into Ubuntu and play. This is tedious, especially with the amount
    of updates WoW has.

    If I allowed the updates to work in Ubuntu, would that work? I have
    write a write enabled NTFS partition, but I don't want to bork WoW as it
    takes ages to update.

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  2. Re: WoW and Wine Question

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:35:33 +0000, MCR wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > I play WoW, but I was really lazy and just 'pointed' my startup script to
    > the WoW.exe file on the windows partition (which is getting dusty now)..
    > but...
    >
    > When updates come I log off and go into Windows and start WoW.. then exit/
    > reboot into Ubuntu and play. This is tedious, especially with the amount
    > of updates WoW has.
    >
    > If I allowed the updates to work in Ubuntu, would that work? I have
    > write a write enabled NTFS partition, but I don't want to bork WoW as it
    > takes ages to update.

    I'm not familiar with WoW, but most software updates come packaged as an
    OS-specific executable. If that is the case, it *might* work under Wine.
    It shouldn't be too hard to make a backup of your current WoW files in
    case it doesn't.

    --
    MarkA
    (My OTHER sig line is clever)