Disk recovery? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Disk recovery? - Ubuntu ; The Windows disk that I thought had merely lost its MBR is apparently worse than that. Any free or almost free utils that can run on Kubuntu and recover files from a corrupted NTFS drive? I can mount the drive, ...

  1. Disk recovery?

    The Windows disk that I thought had merely lost its
    MBR is apparently worse than that. Any free or almost
    free utils that can run on Kubuntu and recover files
    from a corrupted NTFS drive?

    I can mount the drive, but then an 'ls' gets an
    I/O error. Or did I mount it wrong? I used

    mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /NTFS

    with that drive as slave. With an ext3 drive as
    slave, the same command (except for type) worked.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    A bureaucrat is someone who cuts red tape lengthwise.

  2. Re: Disk recovery?

    > The Windows disk that I thought had merely lost its
    > MBR is apparently worse than that. Any free or almost
    > free utils that can run on Kubuntu and recover files
    > from a corrupted NTFS drive?
    >
    > I can mount the drive, but then an 'ls' gets an
    > I/O error. Or did I mount it wrong? I used
    >
    > mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /NTFS
    >
    > with that drive as slave. With an ext3 drive as
    > slave, the same command (except for type) worked.

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:31:03 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:
    Try using ntfs-3g instead of the default ntfs drivers with ubuntu. Likely
    to have significantly better luck with anything you do w/ regards to ntfs.

  3. Re: Disk recovery?

    Craig wrote:
    > Try using ntfs-3g instead of the default ntfs drivers with ubuntu. Likely
    > to have significantly better luck with anything you do w/ regards to ntfs.

    Well, I am sure the drive format is hosed.
    How badly, I'm not sure, but it won't boot,
    and another WinXP that does boot can't read it.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    ----

  4. Re: Disk recovery?

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Craig wrote:
    >> Try using ntfs-3g instead of the default ntfs drivers with ubuntu.
    >> Likely
    >> to have significantly better luck with anything you do w/ regards to
    >> ntfs.

    > Well, I am sure the drive format is hosed.
    > How badly, I'm not sure, but it won't boot,
    > and another WinXP that does boot can't read it.

    Have a look at testdisk it's in the repo's.

    Don't forget to RTM.

    Ram.

+ Reply to Thread