RE: Wintards are Waste of time - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on RE: Wintards are Waste of time - Ubuntu ; Grow up! Be greatful you have choices. It wasn't that long ago we had none....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: RE: Wintards are Waste of time

  1. RE: Wintards are Waste of time

    Grow up! Be greatful you have choices. It wasn't that long ago we had none.

  2. Re: Wintards are Waste of time

    "Oddity" wrote in message
    news:470c1873$0$5507$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 22:34:35 +0000, gregor scrawled firmly:
    >
    >> Grow up! Be greatful you have choices. It wasn't that long ago we had
    >> none.

    >
    > the **** you on about?
    >
    > Mac os came out before Winbloze and Unix was there before that..


    So tell me, have you EVER seen an AFFORDABLE (by the ordinary man in the
    street) UNIX workstation?




  3. Re: Wintards are Waste of time

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:48:57 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > "Oddity" wrote in message
    > news:470c1873$0$5507$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
    >> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 22:34:35 +0000, gregor scrawled firmly:
    >>
    >>> Grow up! Be greatful you have choices. It wasn't that long ago we
    >>> had none.

    >>
    >> the **** you on about?
    >>
    >> Mac os came out before Winbloze and Unix was there before that..

    >
    > So tell me, have you EVER seen an AFFORDABLE (by the ordinary man in the
    > street) UNIX workstation?


    I did see an old computer in a second hand store with OpenSolaris on it.
    Does that count?

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making
    Ubuntu - Nuff said

  4. Re: Wintards are Waste of time

    MCR illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:48:57 +0100, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> "Oddity" wrote in message
    >> news:470c1873$0$5507$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
    >>> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 22:34:35 +0000, gregor scrawled firmly:
    >>>
    >>>> Grow up! Be greatful you have choices. It wasn't that long ago we
    >>>> had none.
    >>>
    >>> the **** you on about?
    >>>
    >>> Mac os came out before Winbloze and Unix was there before that..

    >>
    >> So tell me, have you EVER seen an AFFORDABLE (by the ordinary man in the
    >> street) UNIX workstation?

    >
    > I did see an old computer in a second hand store with OpenSolaris on it.
    > Does that count?


    t depends whether it was AFFORDABLE (by the ordinary man in the
    street) or not.
    ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the
    leather straps."

  5. Re: Wintards are Waste of time

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:48:57 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > So tell me, have you EVER seen an AFFORDABLE (by the ordinary man in the
    > street) UNIX workstation?


    My OpenBSD box cost me the 5 minutes it took me to carry it from the
    kerbside where I found it to. Even at the rates I charge for my time, that
    isn't real expensive. The keyboard, mouse, and monitor were acquired
    using similar methods and at similar costs.

    So, yeah, Unix workstations are pretty affordable.

    And before you try to quibble, OpenSolaris gets given away free, and runs
    quite well on the better grade of scrap iron.

  6. Re: Wintards are Waste of time

    In <470d49ef$1_2@news.bluewin.ch> Mark South:

    [Snip...]

    > So, yeah, Unix workstations are pretty affordable.


    "Gordon" parrots M$ FUD so old, it's got dinosaur turds attached.

    --
    Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
    Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
    Really, it's (wyrd) at airmail, dotted with net. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    Kids jumping ship? Looking to hire an old-school type? Email me.

  7. Re: Wintards are Waste of time

    Gordon wrote:

    > "Oddity" wrote in message
    > news:470c1873$0$5507$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshostin g.com...
    > > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 22:34:35 +0000, gregor scrawled firmly:
    > >
    > >> Grow up! Be greatful you have choices. It wasn't that long ago we had
    > >> none.

    > >
    > > the **** you on about?
    > >
    > > Mac os came out before Winbloze and Unix was there before that..

    >
    > So tell me, have you EVER seen an AFFORDABLE (by the ordinary man in the
    > street) UNIX workstation?


    Huh??

    Even UltraSparc/Solaris *notebooks* are under $3K now.

    Do some research.


  8. Re: Wintards are Waste of time

    On 10 Oct 2007 23:53:51 +0200, Mark South wrote:

    > My OpenBSD box cost me the 5 minutes it took me to carry it from
    > the kerbside where I found it to. Even at the rates I charge for
    > my time, that isn't real expensive. The keyboard, mouse, and
    > monitor were acquired using similar methods and at similar costs.



    This is one of your 'mission critical' machines is it?

    --
    Chris Game

    "Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct,
    not tried it." -- Donald E. Knuth

  9. Re: Wintards are Waste of time

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:53:01 +0100, Chris Game wrote:

    > On 10 Oct 2007 23:53:51 +0200, Mark South wrote:
    >
    >> My OpenBSD box cost me the 5 minutes it took me to carry it from
    >> the kerbside where I found it to. Even at the rates I charge for
    >> my time, that isn't real expensive. The keyboard, mouse, and
    >> monitor were acquired using similar methods and at similar costs.

    >
    > This is one of your 'mission critical' machines is it?


    Cool. I got my very own a.o.l.u stalker!

+ Reply to Thread