Im getting really miffed with this problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Im getting really miffed with this problem - Ubuntu ; Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, if I use bookmark or print it crashes, also randomly. It's becoming a MAJOR problem. Anyone have a fix ? I have removed and re installed both several times now and nothing seems ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

  1. Im getting really miffed with this problem

    Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, if I use bookmark or print it
    crashes, also randomly.

    It's becoming a MAJOR problem.

    Anyone have a fix ?

    I have removed and re installed both several times now and nothing seems to
    sort it out.

  2. Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im getting reallymiffed with this problem

    BORG wrote:
    > Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, if I use bookmark or print it
    > crashes, also randomly.
    >
    > It's becoming a MAJOR problem.
    >
    > Anyone have a fix ?

    Step 1: use a meaningful subject. I've done that for you this time.
    Step 2: tell what version of (k)ubuntu you're using.
    Step 3: open a terminal or konsole (Alt-F2 'konsole' on Kubuntu) and
    type in 'firefox'. If it crashes, let us know what output appears in
    that konsole window.

    de Kameel

  3. Re: Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im getting really miffed with this problem

    De Kameel wrote:

    > BORG wrote:
    >> Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, if I use bookmark or print it
    >> crashes, also randomly.
    >>
    >> It's becoming a MAJOR problem.
    >>
    >> Anyone have a fix ?

    > Step 1: use a meaningful subject. I've done that for you this time.

    Fair point

    > Step 2: tell what version of (k)ubuntu you're using.

    Ubuntu Gutsy

    > Step 3: open a terminal or konsole (Alt-F2 'konsole' on Kubuntu) and
    > type in 'firefox'. If it crashes, let us know what output appears in
    > that konsole window.

    Doesn't crash, it runs, well starts ok, it seems to crashes mostly on me
    clicking a link, downloading something.

    Same with Opera.

    > de Kameel

  4. Re: Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im gettingreally miffed with this problem

    BORG wrote:
    > De Kameel wrote:
    >
    >> BORG wrote:
    >>> Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, if I use bookmark or print it
    >>> crashes, also randomly.
    >>>
    >>> It's becoming a MAJOR problem.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have a fix ?

    >> Step 1: use a meaningful subject. I've done that for you this time.

    > Fair point
    >
    >> Step 2: tell what version of (k)ubuntu you're using.

    > Ubuntu Gutsy
    >
    >> Step 3: open a terminal or konsole (Alt-F2 'konsole' on Kubuntu) and
    >> type in 'firefox'. If it crashes, let us know what output appears in
    >> that konsole window.

    > Doesn't crash, it runs, well starts ok, it seems to crashes mostly on me
    > clicking a link, downloading something.
    >
    > Same with Opera.
    >

    >> de Kameel

    First thing I would check is you memory. It almost sounds like when you
    have a memory intesive operation happening it bombs on you. I believe
    you can do that by pressing ESC when you see grub loading. Then memtest+,?,

    Walt

  5. Re: Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im gettingreally miffed with this problem

    BORG illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > De Kameel wrote:
    >
    >> BORG wrote:
    >>> Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, if I use bookmark or print it
    >>> crashes, also randomly.
    >>>
    >>> It's becoming a MAJOR problem.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have a fix ?

    >> Step 1: use a meaningful subject. I've done that for you this time.

    > Fair point
    >
    >> Step 2: tell what version of (k)ubuntu you're using.

    > Ubuntu Gutsy

    Which is still a beta version. You really should not run beta's if
    you're not prepared for a few crashes. Beta is for "testing" and
    therefore you should get yourself an account at ubuntu launchpad and
    inform the developers of any problems using the correct protocols.

    >> Step 3: open a terminal or konsole (Alt-F2 'konsole' on Kubuntu) and
    >> type in 'firefox'. If it crashes, let us know what output appears in
    >> that konsole window.

    > Doesn't crash, it runs, well starts ok, it seems to crashes mostly on me
    > clicking a link, downloading something.

    OK. So it doesn't crash, but then it does!!!!

    So it does crash then.

    If you've launched it from a terminal, you will still likely get an error
    message in that terminal window which will still be open once

    > Same with Opera.

    Plugins are the likely issue. Disable java and flash and see if that cures it.
    If not, it could be some other plugin, which ones do you have
    installed?

    From firefox type
    aboutlugins
    in the url address bar

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  6. Re: Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im getting really miffed with this problem

    Moog wrote:

    > aboutlugins

    Totem Web Browser Plugin 2.20.0
    Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)
    DivX® Web Player
    QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0
    Shockwave Flash
    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03-b05
    DivX Browser Plug-In
    QuickTime Plug-in 6.0 / 7
    RealPlayer 9
    Windows Media Player Plugin
    mplayerplug-in 3.40
    Adobe Reader 7.0

  7. Re: Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im gettingreally miffed with this problem

    BORG illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> aboutlugins

    > Totem Web Browser Plugin 2.20.0
    > Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)
    > DivX® Web Player
    > QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0
    > Shockwave Flash
    > Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_03-b05
    > DivX Browser Plug-In
    > QuickTime Plug-in 6.0 / 7
    > RealPlayer 9
    > Windows Media Player Plugin
    > mplayerplug-in 3.40
    > Adobe Reader 7.0

    OK. I've got all of them here in Gutsy too without the crash probem. I
    also have the Ooo plugins.

    What error, if any do you get from the terminal window?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  8. Re: Firefox (and Opera) crashing all the time, -> me too ...

    BORG wrote:
    > De Kameel wrote:
    >
    >> BORG wrote:
    >>> Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, if I use bookmark or print it
    >>> crashes, also randomly.
    >>>
    >>> It's becoming a MAJOR problem.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have a fix ?

    >> Step 1: use a meaningful subject. I've done that for you this time.

    > Fair point
    >
    >> Step 2: tell what version of (k)ubuntu you're using.

    > Ubuntu Gutsy
    >
    >> Step 3: open a terminal or konsole (Alt-F2 'konsole' on Kubuntu) and
    >> type in 'firefox'. If it crashes, let us know what output appears in
    >> that konsole window.

    > Doesn't crash, it runs, well starts ok, it seems to crashes mostly on me
    > clicking a link, downloading something.
    >
    > Same with Opera.
    >

    >> de Kameel

    xu 6 lts, dapper, firefox 15012 hangs, on www.lowcall.nl and crashes on
    www.debitel.nl
    And some other sites it hangs / crashes. Quite often. On various
    "actions" when browsing websites, though i suspect "active" parts of
    websites.

    shell: firefox, my homepage on tab 1, tab 2: www.debitel.nl, results:

    user@xubsix:~$ firefox
    NP_Initialize
    New
    SetWindow
    SetWindow
    New
    SetWindow
    SetWindow
    SetWindow
    SetWindow
    NewStream
    WriteReady
    Write
    decoding...
    NewStream
    WriteReady
    Write
    decoding...
    WriteReady
    Write
    New
    SetWindow
    SetWindow
    SetWindow
    WriteReady
    Write
    DestroyStream
    WriteReady
    Write
    WriteReady
    Write
    WriteReady
    Write
    SetWindow
    New
    SetWindow
    SetWindow
    WriteReady
    Write
    NewStream
    WriteReady
    Write
    decoding...
    DestroyStream
    WriteReady
    Write
    WriteReady
    Write
    DestroyStream
    NewStream
    WriteReady
    Write
    decoding...
    New block
    init mp3-decoder, size: 2745
    WriteReady
    Write
    New block
    MAD: synchronization lost
    dismantle mp3-decoder
    DestroyStream
    Segmentation fault
    user@xubsix:~$

    next, same procedure: tab 2: www.lowcall.nl, about 12 seconds and it
    hangs, results:

    user@xubsix:~$ firefox
    NP_Initialize
    New
    SetWindow
    SetWindow
    SetWindow
    NewStream
    WriteReady
    Write
    decoding...
    SetWindow
    SetWindow
    WriteReady
    Write
    WriteReady
    Write
    WriteReady
    Write
    Improper call to JPEG library in state 202
    Unable to read JPEG data
[...]
    init mp3-decoder, size: 4311
    MAD: synchronization lost
    dismantle mp3-decoder
    *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x08afc478 ***

    firefox related installs:
    firefox help, about:
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20070731
    Ubuntu/dapper-security Firefox/1.5.0.12

    My "added" software, not entirely complete though:
    (nvidia card, tv card, canon printer, software not mentioned)

    Sysinfo: (ubuntu) sysinfo.
    Audio and video: (ubuntu) libxine1c2
    Audio and video: (ubuntu) not needed: libxine-dev
    required: libxine-extracodecs
    Audio and video: (ubuntu) xine-ui
    Audio and video for Firefox: (ubuntu) totem-xine-firefox-plugin
    required: (ubuntu) totem-xine
    DVD: (ubuntu) dvdrtools
    DVD / CD: (ubuntu) graveman: Graphical tool to burn dvd and cdi, made
    with gtk.
    required: (ubuntu) dvd+rw-tools
    VCD: (ubuntu) vcdtools: VideoCD menu.
    VCD: (ubuntu) vcdimager: VideoCD image mastering and ripping tool.???
    required: libvcdinfo0
    VCD: (ubuntu) libvcdinfo0: assists in VideoCD navigation.???
    Video: ???. (i removed mythtv)
    Config Editor: (ubuntu) gconf-editor. (no icon).
    E-Mail: (ubuntu) mozilla-thunderbird: e-mail, less memory use than
    Mozilla suite.
    Firewall: (ubuntu) firestarter: Linux firewall gui.
    Flash: (ubuntu) libflash-mozplugin: the Mozilla-compatible browser plugin.
    FTP: (ubuntu) gftp-gtk: gFTP is a multithreaded FTP client.
    Java runtime: (ubuntu) j2re1.4-mozilla-plugin, Java plugin for
    mozilla/firefox.

    Need any more?
    Firefox on xubuntu 6 lts really often hangs / crashes. And it is the
    "default" browser, as long as i have not figured out how to replace and
    maintain it easily ...

    A "bugfix", or whatever, would be greatly appreciated ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  9. Re: Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im getting really miffed with this problem

    BORG wrote:

    >> Step 3: open a terminal or konsole (Alt-F2 'konsole' on Kubuntu) and
    >> type in 'firefox'. If it crashes, let us know what output appears in
    >> that konsole window.

    > Doesn't crash, it runs, well starts ok, it seems to crashes mostly on me
    > clicking a link, downloading something.

    So: what text appears in the Konsole after the crash?

    And which version of Firefox are you using?

    de Kameel

  10. Re: Firefox (and Opera) crashing all the time, -> me too ...

    xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <....>
    > init mp3-decoder, size: 4311
    > MAD: synchronization lost
    > dismantle mp3-decoder

    > Need any more?

    Nope. It looks like the sound on those webpages is causing the crash.

    I have same version firefox running on Gutsy and it plays fine.

    > Firefox on xubuntu 6 lts really often hangs / crashes. And it is the
    > "default" browser, as long as i have not figured out how to replace and
    > maintain it easily ...
    >
    > A "bugfix", or whatever, would be greatly appreciated ...

    How did you install mp3 playback?

    Did you use Automatix?

    You could try the mulrtimedia install steps at
    www.ubuntuguide.org

    I like this extension...it may actually help with your problem too.

    Moog

    leather straps."

  11. Re: Firefox (and Opera) crashing all the time, -> me too ...

    Moog wrote:
    > xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> <....>
    >> init mp3-decoder, size: 4311
    >> MAD: synchronization lost
    >> dismantle mp3-decoder

    >> Need any more?

    > Nope. It looks like the sound on those webpages is causing the crash.
    >
    > I have same version firefox running on Gutsy and it plays fine.
    >
    >> Firefox on xubuntu 6 lts really often hangs / crashes. And it is the
    >> "default" browser, as long as i have not figured out how to replace and
    >> maintain it easily ...
    >>
    >> A "bugfix", or whatever, would be greatly appreciated ...

    > How did you install mp3 playback?

    Not, i think, unless xine should pick it up ..., see the software list.
    It is complete on that point.

    > Did you use Automatix?

    Huh? what's that? No i guess.

    > You could try the mulrtimedia install steps at
    > www.ubuntuguide.org
    >
    > I like this extension...it may actually help with your problem too.

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  12. Re: Firefox (and Opera) crashing all the time, -> me too ...

    xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> <....>
    >>> init mp3-decoder, size: 4311
    >>> MAD: synchronization lost
    >>> dismantle mp3-decoder

    >>> Need any more?

    >> Nope. It looks like the sound on those webpages is causing the crash.
    >>
    >> I have same version firefox running on Gutsy and it plays fine.
    >>
    >>> Firefox on xubuntu 6 lts really often hangs / crashes. And it is the
    >>> "default" browser, as long as i have not figured out how to replace and
    >>> maintain it easily ...
    >>>
    >>> A "bugfix", or whatever, would be greatly appreciated ...

    >> How did you install mp3 playback?

    > Not, i think, unless xine should pick it up ..., see the software list.
    > It is complete on that point.

    I suggest you follow the mp3 installation tips at....

    >> You could try the mulrtimedia install steps at
    >> www.ubuntuguide.org
    >>
    >> I like this extension...it may actually help with your problem too.
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  13. Re: Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im getting really miffed with this problem

    de Kameel wrote:

    > BORG wrote:
    >
    >>> Step 3: open a terminal or konsole (Alt-F2 'konsole' on Kubuntu) and
    >>> type in 'firefox'. If it crashes, let us know what output appears in
    >>> that konsole window.

    >> Doesn't crash, it runs, well starts ok, it seems to crashes mostly on me
    >> clicking a link, downloading something.

    > So: what text appears in the Konsole after the crash?
    >
    > And which version of Firefox are you using?
    >
    > de Kameel

    I don't see anything in a terminal when it crashed, not sure what you mean
    here, the browser just crashes.

    FireFox 2.0.0.6

    But it also happens to Opera and Open Office.

  14. Re: Firefox (and Opera) crashing all the time, -> me too ...

    Moog wrote:
    > xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Nope. It looks like the sound on those webpages is causing the crash.
    >>>
    >>> I have same version firefox running on Gutsy and it plays fine.

    >>> How did you install mp3 playback?

    >> Not, i think, unless xine should pick it up ..., see the software list.
    >> It is complete on that point.

    > I suggest you follow the mp3 installation tips at....
    >
    >>> You could try the mulrtimedia install steps at
    >>> www.ubuntuguide.org

    apt-cache show gnump3d: do i need an mp3 SERVER???

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  15. Re: Firefox (and Opera) crashing all the time, -> me too ...

    xubunt6 wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Not, i think, unless xine should pick it up ..., see the software
    >>> list. It is complete on that point.

    >> I suggest you follow the mp3 installation tips at....

    > apt-cache show gnump3d: do i need an mp3 SERVER???

    >> HTH.

    Let's see ... remove: totem-xine-firefox-plugin
    install: totem-gstreamer-firefox-plugin
    ??? i use totem xine ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  16. Re: Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im gettingreally miffed with this problem

    BORG illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > de Kameel wrote:

    >>> Doesn't crash, it runs, well starts ok, it seems to crashes mostly on me
    >>> clicking a link, downloading something.

    >> So: what text appears in the Konsole after the crash?
    >>
    >> And which version of Firefox are you using?
    >>
    >> de Kameel

    > I don't see anything in a terminal when it crashed, not sure what you mean
    > here, the browser just crashes.

    You open a terminal. (Gnome Menu -> Applications -> Accessories ->
    Terminal)

    At the prompt...you type...
    $ firefox

    You run it. It crashes. You then check what the error message shows in
    the terminal. If there are any showing, post them here.

    > FireFox 2.0.0.6
    >
    > But it also happens to Opera and Open Office.

    This suggests it's not a firefox issue. It suggest a configuration
    issue of something else. Perhaps a plugin. Perhaps a poorly configured
    codec.

    Sorry mate. Without more info, we're going to struggle to help.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  17. Re: Firefox (and Opera) crashing all the time, -> me too ...

    xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > do i need an mp3 SERVER???

    No.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  18. Re: Firefox (and Opera) crashing all the time, -> me too ...

    xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > xubunt6 wrote:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I suggest you follow the mp3 installation tips at....

    >> apt-cache show gnump3d: do i need an mp3 SERVER???

    >>> HTH.
    >>>

    > Let's see ... remove: totem-xine-firefox-plugin
    > install: totem-gstreamer-firefox-plugin
    > ??? i use totem xine ...

    Good.

    We're only trying to troubleshoot. Let's rule one thing out at a time.
    Don't be surprised by things.

    OK. Have you got Iceape installed? I just want to see if it is plugin
    related or not. Iceape is a half decent browser app in the repository
    and is a "suite" from Mozilla. It's related to Firefox. Let's see if you
    can get the same results out of that as you do out of Firefox and
    Opera.

    FWIW, My gut feeling is a plugin or codec issue. The reason I say that
    is that *I* have no issue at all on the pages you mention

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  19. Re: Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im gettingreally miffed with this problem

    Moog wrote:
    > BORG illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> FireFox 2.0.0.6
    >>
    >> But it also happens to Opera and Open Office.

    > This suggests it's not a firefox issue. It suggest a configuration
    > issue of something else. Perhaps a plugin. Perhaps a poorly configured
    > codec.

    Or maybe a hardware (memory) problem: I once had strange crashes when I
    started a lot of programs. It turned out my second memory bank was
    faulty and as soon programs got in that part, things crashed.
    Oh, interesting detail: this only happened on Ubuntu. With Mandrake,
    which I had been running before, nothing bad happened. It turned out
    Mandrake uses BADRAM out-of-the-box to mark faulty memory parts!

    So, dear OP: run MEMTEST from the Live CD or from Grub menu to check
    your memory

    de Kameel

  20. Re: Firefox and Opera crashing all the time, was: Re: Im gettingreally miffed with this problem

    De Kameel wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> BORG illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> FireFox 2.0.0.6
    >>>
    >>> But it also happens to Opera and Open Office.

    >> This suggests it's not a firefox issue. It suggest a configuration
    >> issue of something else. Perhaps a plugin. Perhaps a poorly configured
    >> codec.

    > Or maybe a hardware (memory) problem: I once had strange crashes when I
    > started a lot of programs. It turned out my second memory bank was
    > faulty and as soon programs got in that part, things crashed.
    > Oh, interesting detail: this only happened on Ubuntu. With Mandrake,
    > which I had been running before, nothing bad happened. It turned out
    > Mandrake uses BADRAM out-of-the-box to mark faulty memory parts!
    >
    > So, dear OP: run MEMTEST from the Live CD or from Grub menu to check
    > your memory
    >
    > de Kameel

    I put new memory in (my perfectly functional) work box. Went from 1GB to
    2GB.
    Things started acting funky. So what, it's windows after all... What'd I
    expect.
    But Firefox (and Thunderbird) refused to run so I knew something was up.
    Plunked the old sticks back in and they've been running smooth since.
    (That reminds me, the IT geek owes me some RAM!)
    Evidently, FF and TB are extra specially sensitive to memory issues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast