(no subject) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on (no subject) - Ubuntu ; It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly we get answers to problems on this NG! Thanks Peter - how do I do what you suggest? I'm new to Ubuntu....

  1. (no subject)

    It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly we get answers to problems
    on this NG!

    Thanks Peter - how do I do what you suggest? I'm new to Ubuntu.

  2. Re: (no subject)

    nic wrote:
    > It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly we get answers to problems
    > on this NG!
    >
    > Thanks Peter - how do I do what you suggest? I'm new to Ubuntu.

    ooops, thought I'd posted this in teh appropriate thread - sorry!

  3. Re: (no subject)

    nic wrote:
    > It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly we get answers to problems
    > on this NG!
    >
    > Thanks Peter - how do I do what you suggest? I'm new to Ubuntu.

    fire up synaptic ('install software' in either system or administration)
    and use the search function for 'latency', mark the low-latency kernel
    headers for installation, apply. You will need to re-boot in
    time-honoured windows fashion because this will be a new kernel you will
    be booting (kernel upgrades are the /only/ thing you need to a complete
    reboot for AFAIK)

  4. Re: (no subject)

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > nic wrote:
    >> It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly we get answers to
    >> problems on this NG!
    >>
    >> Thanks Peter - how do I do what you suggest? I'm new to Ubuntu.

    > fire up synaptic ('install software' in either system or administration)
    > and use the search function for 'latency', mark the low-latency kernel
    > headers for installation, apply. You will need to re-boot in
    > time-honoured windows fashion because this will be a new kernel you will
    > be booting (kernel upgrades are the /only/ thing you need to a complete
    > reboot for AFAIK)

    sorry, was in my rare WinXP moments when I replied. Make that search for
    'lowlatency' (all one word) and install the 'complete' metapackage which
    will pull in four or five dependencies.

  5. Re: (no subject)

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> nic wrote:
    >>> It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly we get answers to
    >>> problems on this NG!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks Peter - how do I do what you suggest? I'm new to Ubuntu.

    >> fire up synaptic ('install software' in either system or
    >> administration) and use the search function for 'latency', mark the
    >> low-latency kernel headers for installation, apply. You will need to
    >> re-boot in time-honoured windows fashion because this will be a new
    >> kernel you will be booting (kernel upgrades are the /only/ thing you
    >> need to a complete reboot for AFAIK)

    > sorry, was in my rare WinXP moments when I replied. Make that search for
    > 'lowlatency' (all one word) and install the 'complete' metapackage which
    > will pull in four or five dependencies.

    Many thanks Derek

+ Reply to Thread