Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time - Ubuntu ; On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 01:55:26 +0200 Hadron wrote: > > >> > It's a bit like a car, drive it carefully and you'll get a good few > >> > miles out of it, drive a bit more ambitiously ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

  1. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 01:55:26 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    >
    > >> > It's a bit like a car, drive it carefully and you'll get a good few
    > >> > miles out of it, drive a bit more ambitiously and watch it crash or
    > >> > break down.
    > >>
    > >> Most people dont tinker with Windows. They run professionally made apps
    > >> to do a job of work. Or play games.

    > >
    > > And they're all bug free? FFS get a clue!

    >
    > Where on earth did I say they are all bug free. FFS get a sense of
    > proportion and read what is written. What I said was that most people
    > use applications and dont play with the OS. Most PC users use the same
    > apps day in, day out. Word? Excel? PowerPoint etc. You get the picture.


    Read what is written?

    > Actually I did. But your car analogy was awful since Windows users do
    > not tinker under the hood in offices and on desktops as a general
    > rule. They switch it on and run excel or photoshop or something.


    Where did I mention tinkering? That was you!

    > If you say so. The fact that I think you're a fanboy with about as much
    > clue about SW Engineering as a brick shouldn't worry you in any way
    > then. Nothing you said was Windows specific. It was just high level
    > waffle trying to paint Windows bad. COLA is that way ->.


    You're right about one thing, I don't give a hoot what you think, you
    have as much credibility around here as the wintard troll that started
    this thread. You're one of the running jokes like CBF and his sigs,

    > The bottom line is this : blustering on about cars being driven fast is
    > all well and good but the facts are that Windows XP does a good job for
    > 100x more people than Linux does. If you want to adovcate Linux then
    > point out its strengths on the desktop and stop trying to tell people
    > that their choice or current OS is "crap" - they like it.


    Did I say it was crap? Perhaps I did, perhaps it is, it certainly aint
    perfect, it certainly has a lot of problems as does Linux, which is why
    I'm here, I'm no Linux guru so if Linux was perfect I wouldn't need any
    help around here. Just that when someone points out Windows' problems
    out to you, your panties start burning. Who's the fanboi?

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  2. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > Did I say it was crap? Perhaps I did, perhaps it is, it certainly aint
    > perfect, it certainly has a lot of problems as does Linux, which is why
    > I'm here, I'm no Linux guru so if Linux was perfect I wouldn't need any
    > help around here. Just that when someone points out Windows' problems
    > out to you, your panties start burning. Who's the fanboi?


    Why, according to Hadron, he only boots into Windoze for gaming. So, it's
    impossible for him to be a fanboi, right? :-)

  3. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> Did I say it was crap? Perhaps I did, perhaps it is, it certainly aint
    >> perfect, it certainly has a lot of problems as does Linux, which is why
    >> I'm here, I'm no Linux guru so if Linux was perfect I wouldn't need any
    >> help around here. Just that when someone points out Windows' problems
    >> out to you, your panties start burning. Who's the fanboi?


    No. MY "panties" dont start burning. But ,they do get in a twist when I
    see Windows accused of having X,Y and Z problems when Linux has at least
    the same at times. THIS NG is NOT a place for Linux "advocacy" - it is a
    Ubuntu help group. Yes, praise Linux, but don't tell lies about Windows
    to shill Linux more. It's simply not necessary. Windows XP is not
    unstable. Windows XP has been a good servant to millions and millions of
    people with little, if any, issues. Thats the way it is. No lies. Facts.

    >
    > Why, according to Hadron, he only boots into Windoze for gaming. So, it's
    > impossible for him to be a fanboi, right? :-)


    --
    One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has
    only nine lives.
    -- Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar"

  4. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    Hadron wrote:

    > Tattoo Vampire writes:
    >
    >> Trevor Best wrote:
    >>
    >>> Did I say it was crap? Perhaps I did, perhaps it is, it certainly aint
    >>> perfect, it certainly has a lot of problems as does Linux, which is why
    >>> I'm here, I'm no Linux guru so if Linux was perfect I wouldn't need any
    >>> help around here. Just that when someone points out Windows' problems
    >>> out to you, your panties start burning. Who's the fanboi?

    >
    > No. MY "panties" dont start burning. But ,they do get in a twist when I
    > see Windows accused of having X,Y and Z problems when Linux has at least
    > the same at times.


    Yes, we are just all so aware of the thousands of viruses for linux

    > THIS NG is NOT a place for Linux "advocacy" - it is a
    > Ubuntu help group.


    Which you use to slap a little windows advocacy on from time to time

    Apart from the fact that you are not the arbiter to decide who has to post
    what

    > Yes, praise Linux, but don't tell lies about Windows
    > to shill Linux more. It's simply not necessary. Windows XP is not
    > unstable.


    No. It just reboots from time to time, instead of displaying that nice, cozy
    BSOD

    > Windows XP has been a good servant to millions and millions of
    > people with little, if any, issues. Thats the way it is. No lies. Facts.
    >


    Yes. And that is the reason why you only boot it to "play games",
    right, "true linux advocate", "kernel hacker", "emacs user", "swapfile
    expert", "X specialist", "CUPS guru", "USB-disk server admin", "newsreader
    magician" and "hardware maven" Hadron Quark, aka Hans Schneider, aka Damian
    O'Leary

    >>
    >> Why, according to Hadron, he only boots into Windoze for gaming. So, it's
    >> impossible for him to be a fanboi, right? :-)

    >


    Hadron a fanboi? Can't be. Naaah
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    If it starts working, we'll fix it. Pronto.


  5. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:40:06 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    > No. MY "panties" dont start burning. But ,they do get in a twist when I
    > see Windows accused of having X,Y and Z problems when Linux has at least
    > the same at times. THIS NG is NOT a place for Linux "advocacy" - it is a
    > Ubuntu help group. Yes, praise Linux, but don't tell lies about Windows
    > to shill Linux more. It's simply not necessary. Windows XP is not
    > unstable. Windows XP has been a good servant to millions and millions of
    > people with little, if any, issues. Thats the way it is. No lies. Facts.


    Fact, I left my machine on at work to defrag the disks over the weekend.
    Fact, when I got in Monday, Explorer had crashed.
    Fact, it did not restart.
    Fact, I had to reboot from task manager.

    I don't make these things up.

    Plus, it is *you* that asked the question

    > I really would love to know what a lot of you do to your Windows Xp
    > installations to have so many issues.


    that started this sub-thread anyway. You asked the question, you got
    straight answers, you didn't like the answers so accuse everyone of
    lying? Of course, BSODs are a myth aren't they? No-one ever gets them
    and Microsoft themselves made up all the KB articles relating to them
    for our amusement because they don't exist.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  6. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    Trevor Best writes:

    > On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:40:06 +0200
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> No. MY "panties" dont start burning. But ,they do get in a twist when I
    >> see Windows accused of having X,Y and Z problems when Linux has at least
    >> the same at times. THIS NG is NOT a place for Linux "advocacy" - it is a
    >> Ubuntu help group. Yes, praise Linux, but don't tell lies about Windows
    >> to shill Linux more. It's simply not necessary. Windows XP is not
    >> unstable. Windows XP has been a good servant to millions and millions of
    >> people with little, if any, issues. Thats the way it is. No lies. Facts.

    >
    > Fact, I left my machine on at work to defrag the disks over the weekend.
    > Fact, when I got in Monday, Explorer had crashed.
    > Fact, it did not restart.
    > Fact, I had to reboot from task manager.


    ok. Sounds like a problem. My X kept crashing last week. Thats a problem
    too.

    >
    > I don't make these things up.
    >
    > Plus, it is *you* that asked the question
    >
    >> I really would love to know what a lot of you do to your Windows Xp
    >> installations to have so many issues.


    Yes. What did you do to make your systems so unstable. Not the results
    of that.

    >
    > that started this sub-thread anyway. You asked the question, you got
    > straight answers, you didn't like the answers so accuse everyone of
    > lying? Of course, BSODs are a myth aren't they? No-one ever gets them


    No. Whoever said they are?

    > and Microsoft themselves made up all the KB articles relating to them
    > for our amusement because they don't exist.


    Excuse me, I never said they dont exist. All SW has bugs. Look at the
    Linux big list too.

    But I did say that I would like to know WHY yours and others systems are
    SO unstable. Mine and those of my colleagues never were.

    --
    Girls who throw themselves at men, are actually taking very careful aim.

  7. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:25:38 +0200
    Hadron wrote:

    > > Plus, it is *you* that asked the question
    > >
    > >> I really would love to know what a lot of you do to your Windows Xp
    > >> installations to have so many issues.

    >
    > Yes. What did you do to make your systems so unstable. Not the results
    > of that.


    I told you already. Installed it. Ran it. Installed programs on it, ran
    them.

    > But I did say that I would like to know WHY yours and others systems are
    > SO unstable. Mine and those of my colleagues never were.


    Already told you that too. You went all boss eyed and ask what it had
    to do with anything. If you're too stupid to be told anything then
    that's your problem, I'm not explaining things any slower for you.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

+ Reply to Thread