Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time - Ubuntu ; On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 21:10:30 +0200 Hadron wrote: > > No, 90% of people using those 90% of PC Installations simply regard the > > various issues as normal. > > No. They simply don't have these issues in ...

  1. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    Hadron wrote:

    > > No, 90% of people using those 90% of PC Installations simply regard the
    > > various issues as normal.

    > No. They simply don't have these issues in a well administered office.

    You've been to every office? I've caught a dose off of a couple of big names.

    > > For example, co-worker at work who had around 60 running malware, trojan,
    > > virus, spyware...you name it...running on his machine. He thought it was
    > > normal that it would take 20 minutes for his machine to boot up and never
    > > thought anything was wrong.

    > The he was an idiot, a noob, a fool or a mixture of any of the
    > three. Why? Because someone else would have told him or he would have
    > had experience from other PCs. In addition the office administer should
    > be fired for not having random checks.

    and home users?

    > > It wasn't until he caught something that *finally* made norton anti virus
    > > complain every 10 or so minutes that he brought the machine to me.

    > He sounds like a clown. I would not expect a clown to be able to
    > configure Linux properly either.

    But he wouldn't get clogged up with Viruses and Trojans in the first place.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  2. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    Trevor Best writes:

    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 21:10:30 +0200
    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> > No, 90% of people using those 90% of PC Installations simply regard the
    >> > various issues as normal.

    >> No. They simply don't have these issues in a well administered office.

    > You've been to every office? I've caught a dose off of a couple of big
    > names.

    Hold on. Of course not all. As in the case we are talking about.

    I said this : They simply don't have these issues in a **well**
    administered office.

    >> > For example, co-worker at work who had around 60 running malware, trojan,
    >> > virus, spyware...you name it...running on his machine. He thought it was
    >> > normal that it would take 20 minutes for his machine to boot up and never
    >> > thought anything was wrong.

    >> The he was an idiot, a noob, a fool or a mixture of any of the
    >> three. Why? Because someone else would have told him or he would have
    >> had experience from other PCs. In addition the office administer should
    >> be fired for not having random checks.

    > and home users?

    Same. There are plenty of good solutions.

    >> > It wasn't until he caught something that *finally* made norton anti virus
    >> > complain every 10 or so minutes that he brought the machine to me.

    >> He sounds like a clown. I would not expect a clown to be able to
    >> configure Linux properly either.

    > But he wouldn't get clogged up with Viruses and Trojans in the first
    > place.

    Possibly. But there are other pitfalls. See the issues which arise time
    again about broken X, no sound, and grub breaking.

    --
    Lo malo de hacer sugerencias inteligentes es que uno corre el riesgo de
    que se le asigne para llevarlas a cabo.

  3. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:25:41 +0200 Hadron hit the keyboard to produce the
    following:

    >> But he would't get clogged up with Viruses and Trojans in the first
    >> place.

    > Possibly. But there are other pitfalls. See the issues which arise time
    > again about broken X, no sound, and grub breaking.

    LOL you funny bloke compare those problems to "DATA-LOSS" on Windows in a
    worst case? I can understand now why some posters here regard you as a
    "wintard".....

    All of the issues you named can be fixed without a reinstall of the OS.
    But the above named problems in Windows require most of the time
    a complete reinstall.

    I take the problem I encountered on Linux anytime over those I can see with
    Windows. No problem in Linux I had resulted in loss of Data.

    A friend of mine tried "Skype" on a WinME box, but this software wants
    DirectX v.10. But version 10 isn't available for WinME, one needs XP.
    Those people who run a older version of Mikroschrott are left out in the cold.
    She could use this PC another 5 years as it serves her purpose very well,
    but most likely she will be forced (just because one Software doesn't run)
    to buy a new one. "One freaking Software" for crying out loud, so no of
    course she will not get a new PC and simply not use the Webcam.....

    If I get "Skype" running on my own Main-PC I might get her to switch to
    Ubuntu too. :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    I like *both* kind of music :-)

  4. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    "D. Kollaric" writes:

    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:25:41 +0200 Hadron hit the keyboard to produce the
    > following:
    >

    >>> But he would't get clogged up with Viruses and Trojans in the first
    >>> place.

    >> Possibly. But there are other pitfalls. See the issues which arise time
    >> again about broken X, no sound, and grub breaking.

    > LOL you funny bloke compare those problems to "DATA-LOSS" on Windows in a
    > worst case? I can understand now why some posters here regard you as a
    > "wintard".....

    How am I a wintard when I use Ubuntu and Debian and ONLY boot to XP now
    for gaming? Ignore the tits who thinks anyone who doesnt accept all "anti
    windows lies" is a "Wintard". Telling lies doesn't win new users.

    > All of the issues you named can be fixed without a reinstall of the OS.
    > But the above named problems in Windows require most of the time
    > a complete reinstall.

    I never had to. Sorry. I just got an updated driver and installed it.

    > I take the problem I encountered on Linux anytime over those I can see with
    > Windows. No problem in Linux I had resulted in loss of Data.

    I did. X crashed and took all my running applications with it. But
    generally its stable. And yes, a lot easier to fix problems
    "locally". its a lot stabler with the latest NVidia drivers in
    particular.

    > A friend of mine tried "Skype" on a WinME box, but this software wants
    > DirectX v.10. But version 10 isn't available for WinME, one needs XP.

    Its not available for 64 bit Debian either AFAIK. Nor is Flash.

    And, just FYI, Direct x v10 wont run on XP either .... your friend got
    the wrong version of skype. As I said ....

    --
    If God had wanted us to be concerned for the plight of the toads, he would
    have made them cute and furry.

  5. Re: UBUNTU = Waste of time

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:57:51 +0200
    "D. Kollaric" wrote:

    > All of the issues you named can be fixed without a reinstall of the OS.
    > But the above named problems in Windows require most of the time
    > a complete reinstall.

    Without wanting to blow my own trumpet, over in uk.comp.homebuilt I
    just saved a guy a re-install. He was trying to reformat a drive but
    windows wouldn't let him because it was in use. He tried booting on a
    98 disk but that couldn't see the NTFS partition to format it (lucky
    for him). He would have eventually found something that would reformat
    for him but had he done so his swap file would have gone and he'd be in
    infinite login/message/logout loopsville.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

+ Reply to Thread