Kubuntu Live CD install fail - bad sectors - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Kubuntu Live CD install fail - bad sectors - Ubuntu ; I have de-fragmented a NTFS partition, and run chkdsk /f /r twice on it. The laptop boot OK under Win XP, but the Kubuntu 6.10 live CD will not resize the NTFS partition, because there are 3 bad sectors on ...

  1. Kubuntu Live CD install fail - bad sectors

    I have de-fragmented a NTFS partition, and run chkdsk /f /r twice on it.

    The laptop boot OK under Win XP, but the Kubuntu 6.10 live CD will not
    resize the NTFS partition, because there are 3 bad sectors on it.

    I even tried the System Rescue 0.3.4 CD, without any success of
    re-sizing the NTFS.

    So how can I get around this bad sector problem, *without* deleting the
    whole NTFS partition?

    --
    Tor

  2. Re: Kubuntu Live CD install fail - bad sectors

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 17:35:09 +0200
    Tor Rustad wrote:

    > I have de-fragmented a NTFS partition, and run chkdsk /f /r twice on it.
    >
    > The laptop boot OK under Win XP, but the Kubuntu 6.10 live CD will not
    > resize the NTFS partition, because there are 3 bad sectors on it.
    >
    > I even tried the System Rescue 0.3.4 CD, without any success of
    > re-sizing the NTFS.
    >

    > So how can I get around this bad sector problem, *without* deleting the
    > whole NTFS partition?

    Get another HDD, clone the existing one onto it, throw the original one
    away, it's buggered. It's only ever going to get worse.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  3. Re: Kubuntu Live CD install fail - bad sectors

    Tor Rustad wrote:

    > I have de-fragmented a NTFS partition, and run chkdsk /f /r twice on it.
    >
    > The laptop boot OK under Win XP, but the Kubuntu 6.10 live CD will not
    > resize the NTFS partition, because there are 3 bad sectors on it.
    >
    > I even tried the System Rescue 0.3.4 CD, without any success of
    > re-sizing the NTFS.
    >

    > So how can I get around this bad sector problem, *without* deleting the
    > whole NTFS partition?

    You do not want to install anything on this disk. 3 visible bad sectors mean
    all spare sectors have already been used up, and the drive is on its way
    out.
    Save your data ASAP, and get a new one.