Apache on Ubuntu - how to upload files - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Apache on Ubuntu - how to upload files - Ubuntu ; After my question yesterday about Ubuntu server I eventually chickened out and put Ubuntu Desktop on the machine, I just find it easier at this stage to find my way around. I want to use the machine as an intranet/local ...

  1. Apache on Ubuntu - how to upload files

    After my question yesterday about Ubuntu server I eventually chickened out
    and put Ubuntu Desktop on the machine, I just find it easier at this stage
    to find my way around.

    I want to use the machine as an intranet/local web server so Apache is on
    and working, php is on but not tested and I have installed samba and
    vsftpd. I get the default Apache page when looking at http://192.168.1.22
    in a browser, so far so good.

    What is the 'best' or accepted way of getting the web pages on to the
    server? I use ftp for my external host so that seems logical, although on
    a Windows box it is easier to just copy them into the www directory. At
    the moment vsftpd allows me to log on from a Windows box to my ftp
    directory on the Ubuntu box. I could put them there and then copy them but
    it would be easier to allow a direct ftp to /var/www. Is that 'just' a
    matter of allowing access in vsftpd? If it is then a pointer to a 'how to'
    would be appreciated. If not what is the appropriate way to do it?

    Many thanks.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Indecision is the key to flexibility

  2. Re: Apache on Ubuntu - how to upload files

    "Jeff Gaines" wrote in

    > After my question yesterday about Ubuntu server I eventually chickened
    > out and put Ubuntu Desktop on the machine, I just find it easier at
    > this stage to find my way around.
    >
    > I want to use the machine as an intranet/local web server so Apache is
    > on and working, php is on but not tested and I have installed samba
    > and vsftpd. I get the default Apache page when looking at
    > http://192.168.1.22 in a browser, so far so good.
    >
    > What is the 'best' or accepted way of getting the web pages on to the
    > server? I use ftp for my external host so that seems logical, although
    > on a Windows box it is easier to just copy them into the www
    > directory. At the moment vsftpd allows me to log on from a Windows box
    > to my ftp directory on the Ubuntu box. I could put them there and then
    > copy them but it would be easier to allow a direct ftp to /var/www. Is
    > that 'just' a matter of allowing access in vsftpd? If it is then a
    > pointer to a 'how to' would be appreciated. If not what is the
    > appropriate way to do it?
    >
    > Many thanks.

    I use scp (secure copy) via ssh. You need to

    apt-get install ssh

    (I think that's all you need on the server side, it's been a while since
    I've set things up.)

    Use winscp on the windows box. Google finds that one easily. Secpanel works
    on the ubuntu side as a gui front end if you use it on a desktop
    workstation.

  3. Re: Apache on Ubuntu - how to upload files

    Jeff Gaines wrote:
    > After my question yesterday about Ubuntu server I eventually chickened
    > out and put Ubuntu Desktop on the machine, I just find it easier at
    > this stage to find my way around.
    >
    > I want to use the machine as an intranet/local web server so Apache is
    > on and working, php is on but not tested and I have installed samba
    > and vsftpd. I get the default Apache page when looking at
    > http://192.168.1.22 in a browser, so far so good.
    >
    > What is the 'best' or accepted way of getting the web pages on to the
    > server? I use ftp for my external host so that seems logical, although
    > on a Windows box it is easier to just copy them into the www
    > directory. At the moment vsftpd allows me to log on from a Windows box
    > to my ftp directory on the Ubuntu box. I could put them there and then
    > copy them but it would be easier to allow a direct ftp to /var/www. Is
    > that 'just' a matter of allowing access in vsftpd? If it is then a
    > pointer to a 'how to' would be appreciated. If not what is the
    > appropriate way to do it?
    >
    > Many thanks.

    As Marv suggests, use scp, or better, sftp, or mount the remote client
    drive with ssh.

    If this is restricted to only your LAN (not an intranet) -- and there is
    no danger of anyone sniffing your password (if you use SSL/TLS with
    vsftpd) -- then plain old ftp would also work.

    Here are a few vsftpd links -- enjoy!:

    http://vsftpd.beasts.org

    http://vsftpd.beasts.org/vsftpd_conf.html

    https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/...tp-server.html

    http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/Ju...ticle341.shtml

    http://www.brennan.id.au/14-FTP_Server.html

    http://howto.gumph.org/content/setup...ries-in-vsftpd

    http://ftp.debian.org/doc/vsftpd/README.Debian

    http://www.serverwatch.com/stypes/se...ndex.php/17151

    http://www.howtoforge.com/vsftpd_mysql_debian_etch

    http://viki.brainsware.org/?en/Home

    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...er/vsftpd.html

    http://www.netadmintools.com/art355.html

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/vsftpd

    http://www.vsftpd.org

    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optw...Unslung.Vsftpd

    http://www.debianadmin.com/fast-and-...in-debian.html

    http://web.mit.edu/rhel-doc/4/RH-DOC...ftpd-conf.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vsftpd

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  4. Re: Apache on Ubuntu - how to upload files

    "Jeff Gaines" wrote:

    > After my question yesterday about Ubuntu server I eventually chickened
    > out and put Ubuntu Desktop on the machine, I just find it easier at
    > this stage to find my way around.
    >
    > I want to use the machine as an intranet/local web server so Apache is
    > on and working, php is on but not tested and I have installed samba
    > and vsftpd. I get the default Apache page when looking at
    > http://192.168.1.22 in a browser, so far so good.
    >
    > What is the 'best' or accepted way of getting the web pages on to the
    > server? I use ftp for my external host so that seems logical, although

    I you like it that way it is fine.

    > on a Windows box it is easier to just copy them into the www
    > directory.

    Then use Samba to export your www directory the box you are working on.

    > At the moment vsftpd allows me to log on from a Windows box
    > to my ftp directory on the Ubuntu box. I could put them there and then
    > copy them but it would be easier to allow a direct ftp to /var/www. Is
    > that 'just' a matter of allowing access in vsftpd?

    I don't know about vsftpd so I'd change the place Apache is looking for
    the files. See the chapter "Mapping URLs to Filesystem Locations" in the
    apache docs.

    Florian

  5. Re: Apache on Ubuntu - how to upload files

    On 08/10/2007 in message <13a4.470a2d6a.a9fba@mid.florian-diesch.de>
    Florian Diesch wrote:

    [snipped]

    Many thanks for all the replies :-)

    I've just discovered php but when I can put it down I will go back to the
    Ubuntu box and try out your suggestions.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they

  6. Re: Apache on Ubuntu - how to upload files

    Jeff Gaines wrote:
    > After my question yesterday about Ubuntu server I eventually chickened
    > out and put Ubuntu Desktop on the machine, I just find it easier at this
    > stage to find my way around.
    >
    > I want to use the machine as an intranet/local web server so Apache is
    > on and working, php is on but not tested and I have installed samba and
    > vsftpd. I get the default Apache page when looking at
    > http://192.168.1.22 in a browser, so far so good.
    >
    > What is the 'best' or accepted way of getting the web pages on to the
    > server? I use ftp for my external host so that seems logical, although
    > on a Windows box it is easier to just copy them into the www directory.
    > At the moment vsftpd allows me to log on from a Windows box to my ftp
    > directory on the Ubuntu box. I could put them there and then copy them
    > but it would be easier to allow a direct ftp to /var/www. Is that 'just'
    > a matter of allowing access in vsftpd? If it is then a pointer to a 'how
    > to' would be appreciated. If not what is the appropriate way to do it?

    If the server is in your local lan and you've set up proper security to
    isolate all but port 80 (http), then you can export the directory so it
    can be mounted by your other machines and directly edit the files
    without having to bother with ftp or scp. Use nfs for linux or samba
    for windows access. You'll have to get your permissions and owners set
    correctly. The downside is mistakes you make will go live immediately,
    for all the world to see your incompetence. Of course, I've never made
    mistakes like that **cough**. A "work" area is a good idea to avoid
    that kind of sloppiness.

    Don't go this route without a good firewall to protect your internals.
    Definitely don't go this way for a commercial/business website. I only
    do this on a hobbiest server.

    --
    Ogre

+ Reply to Thread