wireless on a HP laptop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on wireless on a HP laptop - Ubuntu ; I installed Ubuntu and everything runs perfectly, EXCEPT the wireless connection. The card seems to be found by the system but there's no way to make it connect... ANY HINT WILL HELP!!!! Thanks, fdp...

  1. wireless on a HP laptop

    I installed Ubuntu and everything runs perfectly, EXCEPT the wireless
    connection. The card seems to be found by the system but there's no way to
    make it connect...
    ANY HINT WILL HELP!!!!

    Thanks,
    fdp

  2. Re: wireless on a HP laptop

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 00:42:16 -0700
    "fdp" wrote:

    > I installed Ubuntu and everything runs perfectly, EXCEPT the wireless
    > connection. The card seems to be found by the system but there's no way to
    > make it connect...
    > ANY HINT WILL HELP!!!!

    On mine I chose the 64/128 bit WEP rather than the 128bit WEP, that
    made a difference.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  3. Re: wireless on a HP laptop

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:19:23 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 00:42:16 -0700
    > "fdp" wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Ubuntu and everything runs perfectly, EXCEPT the wireless
    >> connection. The card seems to be found by the system but there's no way to
    >> make it connect...
    >> ANY HINT WILL HELP!!!!

    > On mine I chose the 64/128 bit WEP rather than the 128bit WEP, that
    > made a difference.

    I struggled with this problem for days until someone suggested that I
    forget network manager, which is crap, and install Wicd.

    In 15 minutes, I had the wireless up and running with WPA.

    My machine is a ThinkPad T60p
    ubuntu 6.06
    Kyocera KR1 router

    CSSJR

  4. Re: wireless on a HP laptop

    fdp wrote:
    > I installed Ubuntu and everything runs perfectly, EXCEPT the wireless
    > connection. The card seems to be found by the system but there's no way to
    > make it connect...
    > ANY HINT WILL HELP!!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > fdp

    Where exactly does it stop if you try to connect?
    I experienced such problems when I tried to get the wireless on an
    Travelmate going. The solution was rather simple, he screwed up the WEP
    key all the time.
    sudo iwlist DEVICE key
    showed me a wrong key, after I corrected this together with the channel
    and the essid, it could get a connection, but no IP (DHCP). But I
    figured out that I only need to do
    sudo dhclient DEVICE
    and it worked...until restart, when the same game began. A bootscript if
    now doing the job and the wireless works right away.

    Rob

  5. Re: wireless on a HP laptop

    Also check your router settings. Has the security on it been set on it to
    "hide" it from the wireless community?

    I have to unlock mine if I have a "guest" in the house that requires a
    connection.

    Jim in Canada

    "fdp" wrote in message
    >I installed Ubuntu and everything runs perfectly, EXCEPT the wireless
    >connection. The card seems to be found by the system but there's no way to
    >make it connect...
    > ANY HINT WILL HELP!!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > fdp