Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows - Ubuntu ; I trashed the boot sector somehow on a Windows XP disk. That processor is normally running important services on Kubuntu, so the rare occasions when I needed Windows, the rest of the family had to endure limitations in internet access ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    I trashed the boot sector somehow on a Windows XP disk.

    That processor is normally running important services
    on Kubuntu, so the rare occasions when I needed Windows,
    the rest of the family had to endure limitations in
    internet access on the Macs.

    Can I make that whole disk as is the hard drive for a
    virtual machine in VirtualBox or VMWare Server?

    If so, do I still need to fix the boot sector?

    Can I make an entire "standard" Linux formatted disk
    the drive for a virtual machine, i.e., NTFS is no required?
    If I do that, will VirtualBox or VMWare allow me to re-install
    XP on it? Will the fact that it's actually ext3 (or whatever)
    eliminate the need for Windows to defrag once a week?

    How much RAM should I authorize for Windows to avoid any
    noticeable degradation in Squid caching and DNS ?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    A UNIX signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent
    of a black velvet clown painting. It's a rectangle of carets
    surrounding a quote from a literary giant of weeniedom like
    Heinlein or Dr. Who.
    -- Chris Maeda

    Ha, ha, Dr. ..... Who's Chris Maeda?
    -- Wes Groleau

  2. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 03:32:56 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > I trashed the boot sector somehow on a Windows XP disk.
    >
    > That processor is normally running important services on Kubuntu, so the
    > rare occasions when I needed Windows, the rest of the family had to
    > endure limitations in internet access on the Macs.
    >
    > Can I make that whole disk as is the hard drive for a virtual machine in
    > VirtualBox or VMWare Server?

    VMWare Yes, it will allow you to dedicate an entire drive for a Guest OS.

    Not sure if VirtualBox can do this.

    > If so, do I still need to fix the boot sector?

    As long as your computer is not booting from that drive, boot sector
    doesn't matter.

    > Can I make an entire "standard" Linux formatted disk the drive for a
    > virtual machine, i.e., NTFS is no required? If I do that, will
    > VirtualBox or VMWare allow me to re-install XP on it? Will the fact
    > that it's actually ext3 (or whatever) eliminate the need for Windows to
    > defrag once a week?

    Nope, you tell VMWare what drive to use for the Guest OS. The Guest OS is
    then who will format the disk. In your case running windows, the disk
    will be formatted to NTFS and will be subject to the usual fragmentation
    that NTFS suffers from. Get out your defragger. =)

    > How much RAM should I authorize for Windows to avoid any noticeable
    > degradation in Squid caching and DNS ?

    Depends largely on your memory needs under windows and what you're doing.

    The nice thing about VMWare is that it only allocates what the OS is
    actually using. So you can give your Guest OS a little more ram if you
    want to cover peak memory usages without affecting your host OS most of
    the time.

    For Windows I've done well with 1 gig.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 03:44:41 -0500
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > > Can I make that whole disk as is the hard drive for a virtual machine in
    > > VirtualBox or VMWare Server?

    > VMWare Yes, it will allow you to dedicate an entire drive for a Guest OS.
    >
    > Not sure if VirtualBox can do this.

    Not that I can see. I'd install vmware-server if it didn't keep telling
    me I had a previous installation. I find VirtualBox to be a bit of
    resource hog, and unnecessarily slow.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  4. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:17:33 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 03:44:41 -0500
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> > Can I make that whole disk as is the hard drive for a virtual machine
    >> > in VirtualBox or VMWare Server?

    >> VMWare Yes, it will allow you to dedicate an entire drive for a Guest
    >> OS.
    >>
    >> Not sure if VirtualBox can do this.

    > Not that I can see. I'd install vmware-server if it didn't keep telling
    > me I had a previous installation. I find VirtualBox to be a bit of
    > resource hog, and unnecessarily slow.

    try to run "sudo vmware-uninstall.pl" and see if that works.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  5. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 05:31:00 -0500
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > try to run "sudo vmware-uninstall.pl" and see if that works.

    I did have that and tried that, didn't do much, I removed the package
    directory

    tried this:

    > trevor@voyager:~$ sudo vmware-uninstall.pl
    > Password:
    > sudo: vmware-uninstall.pl: command not found
    > trevor@voyager:~$ cd /
    > trevor@voyager:/$ sudo find -iname vmware-uninstall.pl
    > trevor@voyager:/$ sudo find -iname vmware*
    > ./lib/modules/2.6.20-16-server/vmware-server
    > ./lib/modules/2.6.20-16-server-bigiron/vmware-server
    > ./lib/modules/2.6.20-16-386/vmware-server
    > ./lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/vmware-server
    > ./lib/modules/2.6.20-16-lowlatency/vmware-server
    > ./home/trevor/vmware
    > ./home/trevor/downloads/VMware-server-1.0.3-44356.tar.gz
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-player.list
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.list
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules.list
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-player.postrm
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server.list
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.md5sums
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.postinst
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-player-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.postrm
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.postrm
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-player-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.list
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server.postrm
    > ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules.md5sums
    > ./var/lib/vmware-server
    > ./var/log/vmware
    > ./var/log/vmware/vmware-serverd-0.log
    > ./var/log/vmware/vmware-serverd-1.log
    > ./var/log/vmware/vmware-serverd.log
    > ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-server_1.0.3-1_i386.deb
    > ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-server-kernel-modules_2.6.20.16.28.1_i386.deb
    > ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-player_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    > ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-player-kernel-modules_2.6.20.16.28.1_i386.deb
    > ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16_2.6.20.5-16.29_i386.deb
    > ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-player-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16_2.6.20.5-16.29_i386.deb
    > ./usr/share/doc/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16
    > ./usr/share/doc/vmware-server-kernel-modules
    > ./usr/share/app-install/desktop/vmware-server.desktop
    > ./usr/share/app-install/desktop/vmware-player.desktop
    > ./usr/share/app-install/icons/vmware-server.png
    > ./usr/share/app-install/icons/vmware-player.png
    > ./usr/share/icons/Crystal/48x48/apps/vmware.png
    > ./usr/share/icons/crystalclear/32x32/apps/vmware.png
    > ./usr/share/icons/crystalclear/48x48/apps/vmware.png
    > ./usr/share/icons/crystalclear/16x16/apps/vmware.png
    > ./usr/share/icons/crystalclear/64x64/apps/vmware.png
    > ./etc/vmware
    > ./etc/init.d/vmware-player
    > trevor@voyager:/$

    should I "rm -r vmware*" ?

    p.s. I use "sudo find" to avoid the permission denied messages
    cluttering up the results.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  6. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 03:32:56 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > I trashed the boot sector somehow on a Windows XP disk.

    Good man!

  7. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 03:32:56 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >
    >> I trashed the boot sector somehow on a Windows XP disk.

    > Good man!

    Hay, another pc ready for *buntu ...
    ;-)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  8. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 05:31:00 -0500
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> try to run "sudo vmware-uninstall.pl" and see if that works.

    > I did have that and tried that, didn't do much, I removed the package
    > directory
    >
    > tried this:
    >
    >> trevor@voyager:~$ sudo vmware-uninstall.pl
    >> Password:
    >> sudo: vmware-uninstall.pl: command not found
    >> trevor@voyager:~$ cd /
    >> trevor@voyager:/$ sudo find -iname vmware-uninstall.pl
    >> trevor@voyager:/$ sudo find -iname vmware*
    >> ./lib/modules/2.6.20-16-server/vmware-server
    >> ./lib/modules/2.6.20-16-server-bigiron/vmware-server
    >> ./lib/modules/2.6.20-16-386/vmware-server
    >> ./lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/vmware-server
    >> ./lib/modules/2.6.20-16-lowlatency/vmware-server
    >> ./home/trevor/vmware
    >> ./home/trevor/downloads/VMware-server-1.0.3-44356.tar.gz
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-player.list
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.list
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules.list
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-player.postrm
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server.list
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.md5sums
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.postinst
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-player-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.postrm
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.postrm
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-player-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16.list
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server.postrm
    >> ./var/lib/dpkg/info/vmware-server-kernel-modules.md5sums
    >> ./var/lib/vmware-server
    >> ./var/log/vmware
    >> ./var/log/vmware/vmware-serverd-0.log
    >> ./var/log/vmware/vmware-serverd-1.log
    >> ./var/log/vmware/vmware-serverd.log
    >> ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-server_1.0.3-1_i386.deb
    >> ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-server-kernel-modules_2.6.20.16.28.1_i386.deb
    >> ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-player_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    >> ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-player-kernel-modules_2.6.20.16.28.1_i386.deb
    >> ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16_2.6.20.5-16.29_i386.deb
    >> ./var/cache/apt/archives/vmware-player-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16_2.6.20.5-16.29_i386.deb
    >> ./usr/share/doc/vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.20-16
    >> ./usr/share/doc/vmware-server-kernel-modules
    >> ./usr/share/app-install/desktop/vmware-server.desktop
    >> ./usr/share/app-install/desktop/vmware-player.desktop
    >> ./usr/share/app-install/icons/vmware-server.png
    >> ./usr/share/app-install/icons/vmware-player.png
    >> ./usr/share/icons/Crystal/48x48/apps/vmware.png
    >> ./usr/share/icons/crystalclear/32x32/apps/vmware.png
    >> ./usr/share/icons/crystalclear/48x48/apps/vmware.png
    >> ./usr/share/icons/crystalclear/16x16/apps/vmware.png
    >> ./usr/share/icons/crystalclear/64x64/apps/vmware.png
    >> ./etc/vmware
    >> ./etc/init.d/vmware-player

    Maybe the reason you can't remove the vmware server is because it looks like
    vmware player is set to launch at startup? Possibly stopping vmware-player
    will allow you to remove the server version? Just guessing.

    Cheers.

    >> trevor@voyager:/$

    > should I "rm -r vmware*" ?
    >
    > p.s. I use "sudo find" to avoid the permission denied messages
    > cluttering up the results.

    Personally, after updatedb has been run (which is run daily) I find the
    locate command much easier to use and certainly very much faster than using
    find.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  9. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:55:05 GMT
    NoStop wrote:

    > Maybe the reason you can't remove the vmware server is because it looks like
    > vmware player is set to launch at startup? Possibly stopping vmware-player
    > will allow you to remove the server version? Just guessing.

    It's not installed, I installed it once, but not having any vmware VMs
    set up to play, I uninstalled it about 30 seconds later. How the hell
    it got into my startup is a mystery.

    > > p.s. I use "sudo find" to avoid the permission denied messages
    > > cluttering up the results.
    > >

    > Personally, after updatedb has been run (which is run daily) I find the
    > locate command much easier to use and certainly very much faster than using
    > find.

    locate works great, thanks for the pointer.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  10. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    Wes Groleau a écrit :

    > Can I make that whole disk as is the hard drive for a
    > virtual machine in VirtualBox or VMWare Server?

    As an option you can get vmware-converter and convert your disk to a
    vmware file.

  11. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    Well I removed all the vmware files from my system and now
    vmware-server installed ok.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  12. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > For Windows I've done well with 1 gig.

    The hardware only has 384 MB. Does you one Gig setting
    have to be physically availble or will the host OS swap it
    without the guest knowing why it's slowing down?

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

  13. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:58:18 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> For Windows I've done well with 1 gig.

    > The hardware only has 384 MB. Does you one Gig setting have to be
    > physically availble or will the host OS swap it without the guest
    > knowing why it's slowing down?

    384MB would already be pushing it with *only* windows on the
    machine...nevermind running as a guest under another OS.

    XP needs at least 512 megs. Need around 256 megs for Ubuntu.

    So that alone gives you a minimum of 768 megs.

    Now it doesn't need to be physically available. The Host OS will swap it
    without the guest knowing, yes that works. However...performance is going
    to likely be extremely poor.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  14. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 15:18:59 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:58:18 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >
    >> Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>> For Windows I've done well with 1 gig.

    >> The hardware only has 384 MB. Does you one Gig setting have to be
    >> physically availble or will the host OS swap it without the guest
    >> knowing why it's slowing down?

    > 384MB would already be pushing it with *only* windows on the
    > machine...nevermind running as a guest under another OS.
    >
    > XP needs at least 512 megs. Need around 256 megs for Ubuntu.
    >
    > So that alone gives you a minimum of 768 megs.
    >

    > Now it doesn't need to be physically available. The Host OS will swap it
    > without the guest knowing, yes that works. However...performance is
    > going to likely be extremely poor.

    Extremely poor is an understatement, it will be like swimming in the La
    Brea tar pits. If you are going to be running VMs you should have at
    least 2G, preferably more.

  15. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 15:18:59 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    >>> The hardware only has 384 MB. Does you one Gig setting have to be
    >>> physically availble or will the host OS swap it without the guest
    >>> knowing why it's slowing down?

    >> 384MB would already be pushing it with *only* windows on the
    >> machine...nevermind running as a guest under another OS.
    >>
    >> XP needs at least 512 megs. Need around 256 megs for Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> So that alone gives you a minimum of 768 megs.
    >>

    >> Now it doesn't need to be physically available. The Host OS will swap it
    >> without the guest knowing, yes that works. However...performance is
    >> going to likely be extremely poor.

    > Extremely poor is an understatement, it will be like swimming in the La
    > Brea tar pits. If you are going to be running VMs you should have at
    > least 2G, preferably more.

    My main Ubuntu box has 1GB of RAM. I run vmware player and W2K in a VM. No
    problems at all, doing the little I want to do in W2K. I'm only offering
    this experience for those who might consider loading W2K, which is a lot
    less resource demanding than XP.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  16. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:31:17 GMT
    NoStop wrote:

    > My main Ubuntu box has 1GB of RAM. I run vmware player and W2K in a VM. No
    > problems at all, doing the little I want to do in W2K. I'm only offering
    > this experience for those who might consider loading W2K, which is a lot
    > less resource demanding than XP.

    I would agree, in a VM I don't think XP could give you anything that 2K
    couldn't.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  17. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > 384MB would already be pushing it with *only* windows on the
    > machine...nevermind running as a guest under another OS.
    >
    > XP needs at least 512 megs. Need around 256 megs for Ubuntu.

    When I got the machine, it had 256 MB and XP ran OK.
    I added a hard drive, put Ubuntu on it, and instead
    of using GRUB or LILO, put in a key-operated switch.

    I never turned the key unless everything was shut down.
    Nevertheless, shortly after installing the switch, XP
    became unbootable. Ubuntu needs 256 meg for what?
    Most of the time it's only a DNS server for two iMacs
    and an ancient FreeBSD machine.

    Still, it sounds like "coexistence" is going to be
    impractical. If I ever get my SPARC running, I can
    move the DNS over there and let the Intel be the token
    Windows box.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Change is inevitable.
    Liberals need to learn that "inevitable" is not a synonym for "good."
    Conservatives should learn that "inevitable" is not a synonym for "bad."
    -- WWG

  18. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    NoStop wrote:
    > My main Ubuntu box has 1GB of RAM. I run vmware player and W2K in a VM. No
    > problems at all, doing the little I want to do in W2K. I'm only offering
    > this experience for those who might consider loading W2K, which is a lot
    > less resource demanding than XP.

    I much prefer W2K to XP. But when I crashed my W2K box and couldn't
    find the CD, it was two weeks after M$ told the store they were no
    longer allowed to sell W2K.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
    all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
    three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
    said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
    stay with you guys."

  19. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 00:34:32 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> 384MB would already be pushing it with *only* windows on the
    >> machine...nevermind running as a guest under another OS.
    >>
    >> XP needs at least 512 megs. Need around 256 megs for Ubuntu.

    > When I got the machine, it had 256 MB and XP ran OK. I added a hard
    > drive, put Ubuntu on it, and instead of using GRUB or LILO, put in a
    > key-operated switch.
    >
    > I never turned the key unless everything was shut down. Nevertheless,
    > shortly after installing the switch, XP became unbootable. Ubuntu needs
    > 256 meg for what? Most of the time it's only a DNS server for two iMacs
    > and an ancient FreeBSD machine.

    Right now Ubuntu is eating 250 megs on my system. 256 megs is also the
    official number of ram you should have.

    Though that is assuming a desktop.

    If you're running headless as a server, you can get away with less.

    > Still, it sounds like "coexistence" is going to be impractical. If I
    > ever get my SPARC running, I can move the DNS over there and let the
    > Intel be the token Windows box.

    Just go get some more RAM. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  20. Re: Opinions related to VirtualBox, VMWare, guest Windows

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 02:44:26 -0500
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Right now Ubuntu is eating 250 megs on my system. 256 megs is also the
    > official number of ram you should have.

    Aye, that's the recommended by VMWare when creating a virtual machine
    for Ubuntu.