Run an ISO from Kubuntu ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Run an ISO from Kubuntu ? - Ubuntu ; How can I open a downloaded .iso file without burning a CD ? I want to install linuxMCE without burning a CD. Thanks don...

  1. Run an ISO from Kubuntu ?

    How can I open a downloaded .iso file without burning a CD ?

    I want to install linuxMCE without burning a CD.

    Thanks

    don

  2. Re: Run an ISO from Kubuntu ?

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:02:34 -0600, Donald wrote:

    > How can I open a downloaded .iso file without burning a CD ?
    >
    > I want to install linuxMCE without burning a CD.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > don

    A loop mount will allow you to open the file and look at the contents. I
    am not aware of a method of doing an install without burning to CD/DVD or
    at least installing on a flash drive.

  3. Re: Run an ISO from Kubuntu ?

    ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:02:34 -0600, Donald wrote:
    >
    >> How can I open a downloaded .iso file without burning a CD ?
    >>
    >> I want to install linuxMCE without burning a CD.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> don

    > A loop mount will allow you to open the file and look at the contents. I
    > am not aware of a method of doing an install without burning to CD/DVD or
    > at least installing on a flash drive.

    have look here;
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to...der-linux.html

    HTH

    jimf

  4. Re: Run an ISO from Kubuntu ?

    Donald wrote:

    > How can I open a downloaded .iso file without burning a CD ?

    sudo mkdir /mnt/iso
    mount -o loop KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso /mnt/iso

    > I want to install linuxMCE without burning a CD.

    Install from the ISO on your harddisk directly to a harddisk? My experience
    is that burning a CD is easier.

    Maybe nice to know: you can run the a (Live) CD image directly from within
    Linux using qemu. For example:

    qemu -cdrom KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso

    If qemu is not yet installed, install it using "sudo apt-get install qemu"

    HTH

    de Kameel

  5. Re: Run an ISO from Kubuntu ?

    De Kameel wrote:

    > Donald wrote:
    >
    >> How can I open a downloaded .iso file without burning a CD ?

    > sudo mkdir /mnt/iso
    > mount -o loop KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso /mnt/iso

    Oh: put 'sudo' in front of that line.

    de Kameel

  6. Re: Run an ISO from Kubuntu ?

    De Kameel wrote:

    > De Kameel wrote:
    >

    >>Donald wrote:
    >>

    >>>How can I open a downloaded .iso file without burning a CD ?

    >>sudo mkdir /mnt/iso
    >>mount -o loop KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso /mnt/iso

    > Oh: put 'sudo' in front of that line.
    >
    > de Kameel

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    I just got back from buying a DVD/CD burner.

    don

+ Reply to Thread