Setting Up Ubuntu Server - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Setting Up Ubuntu Server - Ubuntu ; I put Ubuntu server on a PC a couple of days ago, it went on astonishingly fast and found all my hardware. As soon as I realised it didn't have a GUI though I froze and thought 'I can't do ...

  1. Setting Up Ubuntu Server

    I put Ubuntu server on a PC a couple of days ago, it went on astonishingly
    fast and found all my hardware. As soon as I realised it didn't have a GUI
    though I froze and thought 'I can't do this'.

    I have now dusted off another box and really would like to put the server
    version on it - it's going to be dishing out web pages to my home network
    so it would be ideal.

    I think I could find my way around if I could get MC (Midnight Commander)
    on it, it would give me a file manager with built in editor and file
    viewer that I'm used to. Unfortunately apt-get install mc (that may be
    slightly wrong, I'm working from memory) didn't get me anywhere. I
    discovered when I put Ubuntu Desktop on that I just needed to refresh the
    repository and then it found and installed MC for me.

    Can anybody tell me what the command line is to refresh the repository so
    I can get and install MC?

    Does anybody know if it installs Apache and PHP as standard?

    I'm quite looking forward to trying to administer a PC from the command
    line, it's been a long, long time!

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.

  2. Re: Setting Up Ubuntu Server

    Jeff Gaines wrote:

    > I put Ubuntu server on a PC a couple of days ago, it went on
    > astonishingly fast and found all my hardware. As soon as I realised it
    > didn't have a GUI though I froze and thought 'I can't do this'.
    >
    > I have now dusted off another box and really would like to put the
    > server version on it - it's going to be dishing out web pages to my home
    > network so it would be ideal.
    >
    > I think I could find my way around if I could get MC (Midnight
    > Commander) on it, it would give me a file manager with built in editor
    > and file viewer that I'm used to. Unfortunately apt-get install mc (that
    > may be slightly wrong, I'm working from memory) didn't get me anywhere.
    > I discovered when I put Ubuntu Desktop on that I just needed to refresh
    > the repository and then it found and installed MC for me.
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what the command line is to refresh the repository
    > so I can get and install MC?
    >
    > Does anybody know if it installs Apache and PHP as standard?
    >
    > I'm quite looking forward to trying to administer a PC from the command
    > line, it's been a long, long time!

    sudo apt-get update

    Ram

  3. Re: Setting Up Ubuntu Server

    On 06/10/2007 in message Ram wrote:

    >sudo apt-get update

    Thanks Ram :-)

    I've installed server, did sudo apt-get update, got mc and Apache on and I
    can access it from a browser on a Windows box - just like that :-)

    I'm not expecting it all to be so easy but it's a good start.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

  4. Re: Setting Up Ubuntu Server

    Jeff Gaines wrote:

    > I put Ubuntu server on a PC a couple of days ago, it went on astonishingly
    > fast and found all my hardware. As soon as I realised it didn't have a GUI
    > though I froze and thought 'I can't do this'.
    >
    > I have now dusted off another box and really would like to put the server
    > version on it - it's going to be dishing out web pages to my home network
    > so it would be ideal.
    >
    > I think I could find my way around if I could get MC (Midnight Commander)
    > on it, it would give me a file manager with built in editor and file
    > viewer that I'm used to. Unfortunately apt-get install mc (that may be
    > slightly wrong, I'm working from memory) didn't get me anywhere. I
    > discovered when I put Ubuntu Desktop on that I just needed to refresh the
    > repository and then it found and installed MC for me.
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what the command line is to refresh the repository so
    > I can get and install MC?
    >
    > Does anybody know if it installs Apache and PHP as standard?
    >
    > I'm quite looking forward to trying to administer a PC from the command
    > line, it's been a long, long time!

    sudo apt-get install mc

    Cheers.

    --