Gutsy.....Buggered it again - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Gutsy.....Buggered it again - Ubuntu ; Running Gutsy and was upgrading packages when it all fell over. Frozen system and screen etc. did sudo dpkg --configure -a in Terminal and it started rebuilding indexes etc and then froze again around halfway through. Now it won't allow ...

  1. Gutsy.....Buggered it again

    Running Gutsy and was upgrading packages when it all fell over. Frozen
    system and screen etc.

    did
    sudo dpkg --configure -a in Terminal and it started rebuilding indexes etc
    and then froze again around halfway through.
    Now it won't allow me to upgrade even when using sudo apt-get -f

    Reinstall required ?

  2. Re: Gutsy.....Buggered it again

    "R" wrote in message news:T5qdnY-m0IxYL5ranZ2dnUVZ8tGqnZ2d@bt.com...
    > Running Gutsy and was upgrading packages when it all fell over. Frozen
    > system and screen etc.
    >
    > did
    > sudo dpkg --configure -a in Terminal and it started rebuilding indexes etc
    > and then froze again around halfway through.
    > Now it won't allow me to upgrade even when using sudo apt-get -f
    >
    > Reinstall required ?

    FWIW I have had numerous crashes, failures and stability issues etc since
    experimenting with Gutsy Beta. Mainly in the areas of wifi (but that
    shouldn't be much of a surprise) networking in general and file shares, 3D
    graphics and booting.

    I keep telling myself it's only a Beta and remembering how fast the
    developers are working to fix each bug that occurs. It really is very
    impressive. But with so few days left to release I think they have a hard
    job on their hands.

    Just in case anyone misunderstands I am really hoping they succeed. In other
    words, R, you are not the only one with issues with this beta but hold in
    there as the developers are a very impressive and responsive lot. And it is
    Beta after all.
    Dave

  3. Re: Gutsy.....Buggered it again

    "Dave" wrote in message

    > "R" wrote in message
    >> Running Gutsy and was upgrading packages when it all fell over. Frozen
    >> system and screen etc.
    >>
    >> did
    >> sudo dpkg --configure -a in Terminal and it started rebuilding indexes
    >> etc and then froze again around halfway through.
    >> Now it won't allow me to upgrade even when using sudo apt-get -f
    >>
    >> Reinstall required ?
    >>

    > FWIW I have had numerous crashes, failures and stability issues etc since
    > experimenting with Gutsy Beta. Mainly in the areas of wifi (but that
    > shouldn't be much of a surprise) networking in general and file shares, 3D
    > graphics and booting.
    >
    > I keep telling myself it's only a Beta and remembering how fast the
    > developers are working to fix each bug that occurs. It really is very
    > impressive. But with so few days left to release I think they have a hard
    > job on their hands.
    >
    > Just in case anyone misunderstands I am really hoping they succeed. In
    > other words, R, you are not the only one with issues with this beta but
    > hold in there as the developers are a very impressive and responsive lot.
    > And it is Beta after all.

    Beta testing and playing for me, a newbie generally to Ubuntu/Linux, is what
    learning is all about.
    Frequently the solutions are found here and on the Ubuntu sites, but
    sometimes it just don't wanna work and I'm not expert enough to fix it.

    Oh well.....mebbe I'll wait for the true release

  4. Re: Gutsy.....Buggered it again

    R wrote:

    > Running Gutsy and was upgrading packages when it all fell over.
    > Frozen system and screen etc.
    >
    > did
    > sudo dpkg --configure -a in Terminal and it started rebuilding
    > indexes etc and then froze again around halfway through. Now it
    > won't allow me to upgrade even when using sudo apt-get -f
    >
    > Reinstall required ?

    I've been using Gutsy because My motherboard is new and Feisty didnt
    support the onboard Networking and sound. Everything has been fine
    until an update last week stopped the networking and sound working. I
    couldn't play anything on utube either as gnash was broken.

    I went back to a working tar backup I had taken in September. It all
    works again now and I'll wait a few days before I try the next update.

    Chas

    --

  5. Re: Gutsy.....Buggered it again

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:35:58 +0000, Chas wrote:

    > Chas wrote:
    >
    >> R wrote:
    >>
    >> > Running Gutsy and was upgrading packages when it all fell over.
    >> > Frozen system and screen etc.
    >> >
    >> > did
    >> > sudo dpkg --configure -a in Terminal and it started rebuilding
    >> > indexes etc and then froze again around halfway through. Now it
    >> > won't allow me to upgrade even when using sudo apt-get -f
    >> >
    >> > Reinstall required ?

    >> I've been using Gutsy because My motherboard is new and Feisty didnt
    >> support the onboard Networking and sound. Everything has been fine
    >> until an update last week stopped the networking and sound working. I
    >> couldn't play anything on utube either as gnash was broken.
    >>
    >> I went back to a working tar backup I had taken in September. It all
    >> works again now and I'll wait a few days before I try the next update.
    >>

    >> Chas

    > I updated again today and all my previous problems with sound and gnash
    > have gone way. I just love the new Compiz Fusion desktop effects - now
    > how do I get that cube working

    Go to system, preferences, Advanced Desktop Effects Settings
    Go to general options, click on the Desktop Size tab and make sure
    that the slider for Horizontal Virtual Size are set to 4

    Then Back and Close

    Press and Hold CTRL + ALT and click on the left mouse button AT THE SAME
    TIME and moving the mouse should move the cube. In addition clicking on
    the boxes by the bottom right of your Gnome desktop should swap between
    desktops and rotate the cube.

    HTH

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  6. Re: Gutsy.....Buggered it again

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:54:13 +0000, MCR wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:35:58 +0000, Chas wrote:
    >
    >> Chas wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I went back to a working tar backup I had taken in September. It all
    >>> works again now and I'll wait a few days before I try the next update.
    >>>

    >>> Chas

    >> I updated again today and all my previous problems with sound and gnash
    >> have gone way. I just love the new Compiz Fusion desktop effects - now
    >> how do I get that cube working

    > Go to system, preferences, Advanced Desktop Effects Settings Go to
    > general options, click on the Desktop Size tab and make sure that the
    > slider for Horizontal Virtual Size are set to 4
    >
    > Then Back and Close
    >
    > Press and Hold CTRL + ALT and click on the left mouse button AT THE SAME
    > TIME and moving the mouse should move the cube. In addition clicking on
    > the boxes by the bottom right of your Gnome desktop should swap between
    > desktops and rotate the cube.
    >
    > HTH

    Yes thank you that worked. I had to install the 'advanced desktop effects
    setting' first. I didn't realise it wasn't installed by default.

    Chas

+ Reply to Thread