Portrait mode on flat panel - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Portrait mode on flat panel - Ubuntu ; On another operating system I can swivel my Viewsonic VP730 into portrait mode and the software simply switches the screen to 1024X1280 and turns the mouse response through 90 deg too. Is there a way to do this in *ubuntu ...

  1. Portrait mode on flat panel

    On another operating system I can swivel my Viewsonic VP730 into
    portrait mode and the software simply switches the screen to 1024X1280
    and turns the mouse response through 90 deg too. Is there a way to do
    this in *ubuntu (running Mint 3.1 based on Feisty)

  2. Re: Portrait mode on flat panel

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:39:35 +0100
    Derek Turner wrote:

    > On another operating system I can swivel my Viewsonic VP730 into
    > portrait mode and the software simply switches the screen to 1024X1280
    > and turns the mouse response through 90 deg too. Is there a way to do
    > this in *ubuntu (running Mint 3.1 based on Feisty)

    In the screen resolution app (menu -> preferences), there's a rotation
    selector, mine's greyed out 'though. Might depend on the driver.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  3. Re: Portrait mode on flat panel

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > In the screen resolution app (menu -> preferences), there's a rotation
    > selector, mine's greyed out 'though. Might depend on the driver.

    Mine too, but thanks for the 'heads up'. Using the latest Nvidia driver
    installed by Envy (GeForce 6600, if that helps). Viewsonic ship
    something called 'Perfect Suite' for windo$e which does it automagically
    when you turn the screen. I hate to say it but that's cool!

  4. Re: Portrait mode on flat panel

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 10:12:39 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:39:35 +0100
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >
    >> On another operating system I can swivel my Viewsonic VP730 into
    >> portrait mode and the software simply switches the screen to 1024X1280
    >> and turns the mouse response through 90 deg too. Is there a way to do
    >> this in *ubuntu (running Mint 3.1 based on Feisty)

    > In the screen resolution app (menu -> preferences), there's a rotation
    > selector, mine's greyed out 'though. Might depend on the driver.

    You need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In the Section "Device" add the
    following line:

    Option "RandRRotation" "True"

    This will then allow you to rotate the monitor into portrait mode. That
    said I've haven't tried it so I don't know if there are any problems with
    running it in such a way.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Pat

  5. Re: Portrait mode on flat panel

    Patrick wrote:

    > You need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In the Section "Device" add the
    > following line:
    >
    > Option "RandRRotation" "True"
    >
    > This will then allow you to rotate the monitor into portrait mode. That
    > said I've haven't tried it so I don't know if there are any problems with
    > running it in such a way.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Major kudos and huge thanks. It works a treat!

    the rotation in screen resolution is no longer greyed-out OR you can use
    a command line:

    xrandr -0 left

    etc. which can be made into a clickable icon!

  6. Re: Portrait mode on flat panel

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:46:00 +0100, Derek Turner wrote:

    > Patrick wrote:
    >>
    >> You need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In the Section "Device" add the
    >> following line:
    >>
    >> Option "RandRRotation" "True"
    >>
    >> This will then allow you to rotate the monitor into portrait mode. That
    >> said I've haven't tried it so I don't know if there are any problems
    >> with running it in such a way.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>

    > Major kudos and huge thanks. It works a treat!
    >
    > the rotation in screen resolution is no longer greyed-out OR you can use a
    > command line:
    >
    > xrandr -0 left
    >
    > etc. which can be made into a clickable icon!

    You're most welcome.

    --
    Pat

+ Reply to Thread