Sym-link disappears on system restart - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Sym-link disappears on system restart - Ubuntu ; This is probably trivial, as I have a workaround that works, and a backup workaround that avoids the problem completely. But I would rather not have the problem at all. My base installation on a Dell inspiron 1420 Ubuntu 7.04 ...

  1. Sym-link disappears on system restart

    This is probably trivial, as I have a workaround that works, and a backup
    workaround that avoids the problem completely. But I would rather not
    have the problem at all.

    My base installation on a Dell inspiron 1420 Ubuntu 7.04 has a dial-up
    (software) modem at /dev/modem, which is a symbolic link to /dev/ttySHSF0.
    This worked for a while, then quit when I upgraded the Kernal.

    I won't even begin to try to relate the shenanigins done to get this
    working again, but it worked again. When I updated the Kernal again, the
    dial-up modem quit again. It is easily fixed, but should not need to be.

    The 'file' at /dev/modem is a sym-link to /dev/ttySHSF0. This link has
    been known to "disappear', as it has and does for me on power-down and
    restart. I googled for it and found some prior references to it.

    The answer to this issue (workaround) is to reinstall the link upon each
    restart, in my case with:

    ln -s /dev/ttySHSF0 /dev/modem

    The supplied and default tool on this GUI is NetworkManager Applet 0.6.4,
    which is very nice and a good concept, does many things well, and is an
    admirable effort. But it is very young, has no real documentation, and
    gives no feedback on errors it encounters. So for dial-up connections, I
    prefer to use wvdial, which gives full progress and error messages. It is
    free and it is good.

    So the full workaround would be to point the wvdial.conf file directly to
    the /dev/ttySHSF0, which I have not yet done, but can easily and will do
    as necessary.

    The point is that the sym-link should not be disappearing on reboot, and
    there is no easy way to know what other sym-links may be breaking on
    restart. What else is being broken on restart and why? How do I know and
    how do I prevent this?

    This is the Ubuntu forum. Is there a better place to ask this? I have
    spoken to both Dell and Canonical (Ubuntu) about this. Is there someone
    else I should speak with? Please tell me.

  2. Re: Sym-link disappears on system restart

    oOg writes:

    > The point is that the sym-link should not be disappearing on reboot, and
    > there is no easy way to know what other sym-links may be breaking on
    > restart. What else is being broken on restart and why? How do I know and
    > how do I prevent this?

    I had something similar under Debian Lenny. In this case it was /dev/dvd
    which was the default device for many apps. In the new reich, teh dvd is
    actuall sdc0. One option would have been to recreate it using a startup
    script at system start or at login. In the end I just reconfigured the
    video playing SW to use the correct device. A real pain. Whats a bigger
    pain is that whenever there is a kernel nudge in the repositories, grub
    sets itself up again and manages to get the primary hard drive device
    wrong (hda instead of sda) in the menu.lst thus breaking
    boot. 2.6.22-2-686.

    > This is the Ubuntu forum. Is there a better place to ask this? I have
    > spoken to both Dell and Canonical (Ubuntu) about this. Is there someone
    > else I should speak with? Please tell me.

    The real Ubuntu forums at

    http://ubuntuforums.org/

    --
    Well thaaaaaaat's okay.

  3. Re: Sym-link disappears on system restart

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:28:04 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    [...]

    > Whats a bigger
    > pain is that whenever there is a kernel nudge in the repositories, grub
    > sets itself up again and manages to get the primary hard drive device
    > wrong (hda instead of sda) in the menu.lst thus breaking
    > boot. 2.6.22-2-686.

    That's scary ! I hope it doesn't happen to me. But I _think_ my hard
    drive actually _is_ hda. Not quite sure now how I would check that.

    Also scary is that I just upgraded my kernel to what I thought was the
    latest (via Update Manager GUI) to:

    $ uname -a
    Linux dell 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Sun Sep 23 19:50:39 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

    As can be seen, this looks like a couple of steps below what you posted.

    >> This is the Ubuntu forum. Is there a better place to ask this? I have
    >> spoken to both Dell and Canonical (Ubuntu) about this. Is there
    >> someone else I should speak with? Please tell me.

    > The real Ubuntu forums at
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/

    Thank you for the quick response and help and information. These are
    sincerely appreciated.

    oOg@

+ Reply to Thread