Confused about Adept - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Confused about Adept - Ubuntu ; I have upgraded to Feisty. When I run updates, Festy repositories appear in the list. But when I open Manage in Adept, there's lots of Edgy listed and no Feisty. -- Wes Groleau Ostracism: A practice of sticking your head ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Confused about Adept

  1. Confused about Adept

    I have upgraded to Feisty. When I run updates, Festy repositories
    appear in the list. But when I open Manage in Adept, there's lots
    of Edgy listed and no Feisty.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Ostracism: A practice of sticking your head in the sand.

  2. Re: Confused about Adept

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > I have upgraded to Feisty. When I run updates, Festy repositories
    > appear in the list. But when I open Manage in Adept, there's lots
    > of Edgy listed and no Feisty.


    I don't understand the question/ what you mean. What do you mean 'Edgy
    listed'?

    I have a Kub 7.04 install. If I search on 'edgy' in its adept I see 4
    items, 2 related to wallpaper, and 1 each to themes and splashes.

    I don't know how to create a view in Adept which says anything else
    about edgy.

    --
    Mike Easter


  3. Re: Confused about Adept

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> I have upgraded to Feisty. When I run updates, Festy repositories
    >> appear in the list. But when I open Manage in Adept, there's lots
    >> of Edgy listed and no Feisty.

    >
    > I don't understand the question/ what you mean. What do you mean 'Edgy
    > listed'?
    >
    > I have a Kub 7.04 install. If I search on 'edgy' in its adept I see 4
    > items, 2 related to wallpaper, and 1 each to themes and splashes.
    >
    > I don't know how to create a view in Adept which says anything else
    > about edgy.
    >


    ITYWF he's looking at the repository list view.

  4. Re: Confused about Adept

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Wes Groleau wrote:
    >>> I have upgraded to Feisty. When I run updates, Festy repositories
    >>> appear in the list. But when I open Manage in Adept, there's lots
    >>> of Edgy listed and no Feisty.

    >>
    >> I don't understand the question/ what you mean. What do you mean
    >> 'Edgy listed'?
    >>
    >> I have a Kub 7.04 install. If I search on 'edgy' in its adept I see
    >> 4 items, 2 related to wallpaper, and 1 each to themes and splashes.
    >>
    >> I don't know how to create a view in Adept which says anything else
    >> about edgy.
    >>

    >
    > ITYWF he's looking at the repository list view.


    I tried that. Adept/ Adept menu/ Manage repositories/ - gives function
    with titlebar Software Sources with 5 tabs Kubuntu software, Third-Party
    Software, Updates, Authenticatin, and Statistics.

    None of those tabs contain any word or indication of anything about edgy
    or its corresponding version# 6.10.

    --
    Mike Easter


  5. Re: Confused about Adept

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > I tried that. Adept/ Adept menu/ Manage repositories/ - gives function
    > with titlebar Software Sources with 5 tabs Kubuntu software, Third-Party
    > Software, Updates, Authenticatin, and Statistics.
    >
    > None of those tabs contain any word or indication of anything about edgy
    > or its corresponding version# 6.10.


    That's the point. On mine, The first four items in "Third-Party"
    say 'Edgy' and none of the tabs say 'Feisty.' But when I run APT
    on the command line, I see "Feisty" and never "Edgy"

    Update: when I dismissed the "Manage repositories," I accidentally
    clicked fetch updates. All of the lines that scrolled up said
    'Feisty' and none said 'Edgy'

    So I am still slightly confused, though I think it is doing what
    it should be doing. But the reason I was looking at it is because
    I want to add the VirtualBox repository. I don't want to try that
    when I obviously don't understand the interface.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    "Would the prodigal have gone home if
    the elder brother was running the farm?"
    -- James Jordan

  6. Re: Confused about Adept

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:49:26 GMT, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:


    > > None of those tabs contain any word or indication of anything about
    > > edgy or its corresponding version# 6.10.


    > That's the point. On mine, The first four items in "Third-Party"
    > say 'Edgy' and none of the tabs say 'Feisty.' But when I run APT
    > on the command line, I see "Feisty" and never "Edgy"


    > Update: when I dismissed the "Manage repositories," I accidentally
    > clicked fetch updates. All of the lines that scrolled up said
    > 'Feisty' and none said 'Edgy'


    > So I am still slightly confused, though I think it is doing what
    > it should be doing. But the reason I was looking at it is because
    > I want to add the VirtualBox repository. I don't want to try that
    > when I obviously don't understand the interface.


    It sounds like your setup is just fine. You upgraded from Edgy, so you
    still have some Edgy information in Adept. The items in the Third
    Party tab in the Adept Manager are for software you had to
    specifically "tell" Adept about because it's not available in the
    standard repositories. You must have installed four such programs. To
    see which repositories you're checking, go into a terminal and type:

    cat /etc/apt/sources.list

    If I'm not missing my guess, you should see all sorts of references to
    Feisty in there. If you don't, feel free to paste the contents of the
    file in here and we can figure it out. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

+ Reply to Thread