PC 64bit - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on PC 64bit - Ubuntu ; I installed Ubuntu PC regular 7.04 on one computer and have been messing with it because I am new to Linux but hope to switch from windows someday. On the PC I discovered you can type "sudo apt-get install program ...

  1. PC 64bit

    I installed Ubuntu PC regular 7.04 on one computer and have been messing
    with it because I am new to Linux but hope to switch from windows
    someday. On the PC I discovered you can type "sudo apt-get install
    program name" and it goes out and automatically get it and installs it.
    Super cool! Got Ktorrent running just fine and everything. I put the PC
    64bit on my other machine which is and AMD 64 in a Gigbyte board. The
    install went fine. However when I type the "sudo" command to find
    something it dose not work on the AMD 64. Is this correct or have I got
    something strange? Thank you
    New2Linux

  2. Re: PC 64bit

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:40:21 -0700, Bman wrote:

    > I installed Ubuntu PC regular 7.04 on one computer and have been messing
    > with it because I am new to Linux but hope to switch from windows
    > someday. On the PC I discovered you can type "sudo apt-get install
    > program name" and it goes out and automatically get it and installs it.
    > Super cool! Got Ktorrent running just fine and everything. I put the PC
    > 64bit on my other machine which is and AMD 64 in a Gigbyte board. The
    > install went fine. However when I type the "sudo" command to find
    > something it dose not work on the AMD 64. Is this correct or have I got
    > something strange? Thank you
    > New2Linux

    There are lots of new complications of which I may not be aware. But
    would suggest you first resolve issues about Gnome vs. KDE desktops. I
    have surmised that most Gnome apps will run successfully on a KDE desktop,
    but not all "K" apps run successfully on a Gnome desktop, the default
    "Ununtu" system. Not at all sure if this relates to your issues or not,
    as I'm rather new myself. Thought it might be worth consideration.

  3. Re: PC 64bit

    oOg wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:40:21 -0700, Bman wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Ubuntu PC regular 7.04 on one computer and have been messing
    >> with it because I am new to Linux but hope to switch from windows
    >> someday. On the PC I discovered you can type "sudo apt-get install
    >> program name" and it goes out and automatically get it and installs it.
    >> Super cool! Got Ktorrent running just fine and everything. I put the PC
    >> 64bit on my other machine which is and AMD 64 in a Gigbyte board. The
    >> install went fine. However when I type the "sudo" command to find
    >> something it dose not work on the AMD 64. Is this correct or have I got
    >> something strange? Thank you
    >> New2Linux

    > There are lots of new complications of which I may not be aware. But
    > would suggest you first resolve issues about Gnome vs. KDE desktops. I
    > have surmised that most Gnome apps will run successfully on a KDE desktop,
    > but not all "K" apps run successfully on a Gnome desktop, the default
    > "Ununtu" system. Not at all sure if this relates to your issues or not,
    > as I'm rather new myself. Thought it might be worth consideration.

    Thanks for the input I will keep that in mind. I shut off the computer
    then came back the next day and tried the "sudo apt-get" thing and it
    worked like a charm. I don't know why I would not work the first time
    but it does work. I am still too new to this linux thing will have to
    keep working at it. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread