Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder') - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder') - Ubuntu ; Hi, I want to capture (to record) the output of a RealPlayer stream. Before anyone says "mplayer -streamdump" I can't extract the url of the stream. I want to record straight from the embedded Realplayer sound output. I have tried ...

  1. Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    Hi, I want to capture (to record) the output of a RealPlayer stream.

    Before anyone says "mplayer -streamdump" I can't extract the url of the
    stream. I want to record straight from the embedded Realplayer sound
    output.

    I have tried without success using 'Sound Recorder'.
    Can anyone help please?
    Incidentally, when I click the 'New' option on the Sound Recorder
    menu bar I get :-

    'Your audio capture settings are invalid. Please correct them in the
    Multimedia settings'

    Tried various options to no avail.
    Thanks in anticipation,
    Richard.

  2. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    I use vsound (http://www.vsound.org/)

    --
    David Aldred

  3. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:16:36 +0000, David Aldred wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I want to capture (to record) the output of a RealPlayer stream.
    >>

    > I use vsound (http://www.vsound.org/)

    Tried to install this but Sox not found:-

    ./configure
    creating cache ./config.cache
    checking for working aclocal... missing
    checking for working autoconf... missing
    checking for working automake... missing
    checking for working autoheader... missing
    checking for working makeinfo... missing
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
    checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for endian.h... yes
    checking for endian-ness of target processor... little
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
    checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
    checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
    checking whether ln -s works... yes
    updating cache ./config.cache
    checking for object suffix... o
    checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
    checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
    checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
    checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
    checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... no
    checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
    checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
    checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
    checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
    checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
    checking dynamic linker characteristics... Linux ld.so
    checking whether to build static libraries... no
    checking for objdir... .libs
    creating libtool
    checking for sox... no
    configure: error: could not find the sox program

  4. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    On 2007-10-05, Richard wrote:
    > Hi, I want to capture (to record) the output of a RealPlayer stream.
    >
    > Before anyone says "mplayer -streamdump" I can't extract the url of the
    > stream. I want to record straight from the embedded Realplayer sound
    > output.

    Nice description of this at:

    You will need the address of the .ram file though and this can always
    be extracted from the web page.

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

  5. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:59:48 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > On 2007-10-05, Richard wrote:
    >> Hi, I want to capture (to record) the output of a RealPlayer stream.
    >>
    >> Before anyone says "mplayer -streamdump" I can't extract the url of
    >> the
    >> stream. I want to record straight from the embedded Realplayer sound
    >> output.

    > Nice description of this at:
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3304672
    >
    > You will need the address of the .ram file though and this can always
    > be extracted from the web page.
    >
    > Andrew

    That's the problem, I can't extract the address of the .ram file! See
    here: -
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo...html?wservice/
    closeup#

  6. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    On 2007-10-06, Richard wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:59:48 +0000, andrew wrote:

    [...]

    >> You will need the address of the .ram file though and this can always
    >> be extracted from the web page.

    [...]

    > That's the problem, I can't extract the address of the .ram file! See
    > here: -
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo...html?wservice/
    > closeup#

    Ahhhhh now i see. This was not a problem with the news section where
    there is an option to 'launch externak player' which conveniently
    gives the ram file address. Not many hints at all in the html source.
    Frustrating .........

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  7. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 10:32:56 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > On 2007-10-06, Richard wrote:
    >> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:59:48 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >>> You will need the address of the .ram file though and this can always
    >>> be extracted from the web page.

    > [...]
    >
    >> That's the problem, I can't extract the address of the .ram file! See
    >> here: -
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo...html?wservice/
    >> closeup#

    > Ahhhhh now i see. This was not a problem with the news section where
    > there is an option to 'launch externak player' which conveniently gives
    > the ram file address. Not many hints at all in the html source.
    > Frustrating .........
    >
    > Andrew

    Yes, the source is cleverly (at least for me) disguised for copyright
    reasons probably. Hence my request for aid in recording from 'Sound
    recorder'.
    Richard.

  8. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    Richard wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:16:36 +0000, David Aldred wrote:
    >
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, I want to capture (to record) the output of a RealPlayer stream.
    >>>

    >> I use vsound (http://www.vsound.org/)

    > Tried to install this but Sox not found:-

    > checking for sox... no
    > configure: error: could not find the sox program

    You can install sox using your usual package manager, or in a console:

    sudo apt-get install sox

    --
    David Aldred

  9. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:35:34 +0000, David Aldred wrote:

    > Richard wrote:

    >>> I use vsound (http://www.vsound.org/)

    >> Tried to install this but Sox not found:-

    >> checking for sox... no
    >> configure: error: could not find the sox program

    > You can install sox using your usual package manager, or in a console:
    >
    > sudo apt-get install sox

    Thanks Andrew. I have installed ok. How do I record the stream? I have
    fired up Realplayer and entered this :-

    vsound realplay realmediafile.rm this fires up Realplay.

    and tried vsound RealPlayer realmediafile.rm

    Neither work.

  10. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    Richard wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:35:34 +0000, David Aldred wrote:
    >
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> Tried to install this but Sox not found:-

    >>> checking for sox... no
    >>> configure: error: could not find the sox program

    >> You can install sox using your usual package manager, or in a console:
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get install sox

    > Thanks Andrew.

    Err, David!

    > I have installed ok. How do I record the stream? I have
    > fired up Realplayer and entered this :-
    >
    > vsound realplay realmediafile.rm this fires up Realplay.
    >
    > and tried vsound RealPlayer realmediafile.rm

    The command I use looks like this:

    vsound -d -a 2 -f filename.wav realplay realmediafile.rm

    It should start up Realpayer, playing your stream; when you exit Realplayer
    (or when it closes having reached the end of the stream) you should find a
    file called filename.wav ready fo you.

    You can then convert this to ogg, flac or mp3 as you want to save space!

    If you want to try a specific example, try this (all on one line):

    vsound -d -a 2 -f navylark.wav realplay
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagai.../rams/1200.ram

    That should record last Thursday's edition of the Navy Lark on BBC 7 for
    you: I just tried it (stopping it after a couple of minutes) and it worked
    here!

    --
    David Aldred

  11. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 07:54:15 -0500, Richard wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:35:34 +0000, David Aldred wrote:
    >
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> Tried to install this but Sox not found:-

    >>> checking for sox... no
    >>> configure: error: could not find the sox program

    >> You can install sox using your usual package manager, or in a console:
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get install sox

    > Thanks Andrew. I have installed ok. How do I record the stream? I have
    > fired up Realplayer and entered this :-
    >
    > vsound realplay realmediafile.rm this fires up Realplay.
    >
    > and tried vsound RealPlayer realmediafile.rm
    >
    > Neither work.

    Sorry, thanks 'David'. I am running the stream from the embedded
    Realplayer (sound output is present) and running :-

    root@richard-laptop:/home/richard# vsound -t realplayer realmediafile.rm
    About to start the application. The output will not be available
    until the application exits.
    /usr/local/bin/vsound: 177: realplayer: not found
    Missing file ./vsound9588.au.
    This means that the libvsound wrapper did not work correctlty.
    Here are some the possible reasons :
    - You are trying to record a stream (RTSP or PNM protocol) from
    the internet. You will need to use the --timing option.
    - The program you are trying to run is setuid. You will need to
    run vsound as root.
    - Vsound was not properly installed and hence won't work at all.
    root@richard-laptop:/home/richard#

  12. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    Richard wrote:

    > Sorry, thanks 'David'. I am running the stream from the embedded
    > Realplayer (sound output is present) and running :-
    >
    > root@richard-laptop:/home/richard# vsound -t realplayer realmediafile.rm

    Two issues here:

    First, if you're running from embedded Realplayer, do you mean you're not
    actually starting realplayer from the command line? I don't know any way
    of recording a Realplayer stream once it's already started.

    Second, the command should be 'realplay' not 'realplayer' (after the '-t' in
    the line above). Realplayer is called from the command line with the
    command 'realplay', and that's what you need to feed to vsound!

    --
    David Aldred

  13. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:08:28 +0000, David Aldred wrote:

    > Richard wrote:

    >>> You can install sox using your usual package manager, or in a console:
    >>>
    >>> sudo apt-get install sox

    >> Thanks Andrew.

    > Err, David!
    >
    >> I have installed ok. How do I record the stream? I have fired up
    >> Realplayer and entered this :-
    >>
    >> vsound realplay realmediafile.rm this fires up Realplay.
    >>
    >> and tried vsound RealPlayer realmediafile.rm

    > The command I use looks like this:
    >
    > vsound -d -a 2 -f filename.wav realplay realmediafile.rm
    >
    > It should start up Realpayer, playing your stream; when you exit
    > Realplayer (or when it closes having reached the end of the stream) you
    > should find a file called filename.wav ready fo you.
    >
    > You can then convert this to ogg, flac or mp3 as you want to save space!
    >
    > If you want to try a specific example, try this (all on one line):
    >
    > vsound -d -a 2 -f navylark.wav realplay
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagai.../rams/1200.ram
    >
    > That should record last Thursday's edition of the Navy Lark on BBC 7 for
    > you: I just tried it (stopping it after a couple of minutes) and it
    > worked here!

    Yes Andrew, it does indeed, now try this :-

    vsound -d -a 2 -f close_up.wav realplay

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo...html?wservice/
    closeup#

    Watch the wrap.
    This plays ok from the 'Plug-in' Realplayer but the 'stand-alone' player
    cannot interpret the URL.

    "The Player does not have the capabilities to play this content".
    Now try the same URL from Firefox (presuming you have the Realplayer plug-
    in installed.
    Thanks for trying!
    Richard.

  14. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:27:43 +0000, David Aldred wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >>
    >> Sorry, thanks 'David'. I am running the stream from the embedded
    >> Realplayer (sound output is present) and running :-
    >>
    >> root@richard-laptop:/home/richard# vsound -t realplayer
    >> realmediafile.rm

    > Two issues here:
    >
    > First, if you're running from embedded Realplayer, do you mean you're
    > not actually starting realplayer from the command line? I don't know
    > any way of recording a Realplayer stream once it's already started.
    >
    > Second, the command should be 'realplay' not 'realplayer' (after the
    > '-t' in the line above). Realplayer is called from the command line
    > with the command 'realplay', and that's what you need to feed to vsound!

    David,
    please see 2:49 post.

  15. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    Richard wrote:

    > Yes Andrew, it does indeed, now try this :-
    >
    > vsound -d -a 2 -f close_up.wav realplay
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo...html?wservice/
    > closeup#
    >
    > Watch the wrap.
    > This plays ok from the 'Plug-in' Realplayer but the 'stand-alone' player
    > cannot interpret the URL.
    >
    > "The Player does not have the capabilities to play this content".
    > Now try the same URL from Firefox (presuming you have the Realplayer plug-
    > in installed.

    Right, Algernon, I see where you are coming from.

    You need to be able to translate the url the bbcplayer uses into one
    Realplayer can use directly. To do this, take the bit after the ? in the
    bbcplayer url, and add it to this:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows/rpms/

    So in your case you need the whole command line (all on one line):

    vsound -d -a 2 -f close_up.wav realplay
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows...ce/closeup.ram

    I just tried it and it seemed to work here!

    --
    David Aldred

  16. Re: Capturing audio (using 'Sound Recorder')

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:49:25 +0000, David Aldred wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Yes Andrew, it does indeed, now try this :-
    >>
    >> vsound -d -a 2 -f close_up.wav realplay
    >>
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo...html?wservice/
    >> closeup#
    >>
    >> Watch the wrap.
    >> This plays ok from the 'Plug-in' Realplayer but the 'stand-alone'
    >> player cannot interpret the URL.
    >>
    >> "The Player does not have the capabilities to play this content". Now
    >> try the same URL from Firefox (presuming you have the Realplayer plug-
    >> in installed.

    > Right, Algernon, I see where you are coming from.
    >
    > You need to be able to translate the url the bbcplayer uses into one
    > Realplayer can use directly. To do this, take the bit after the ? in
    > the bbcplayer url, and add it to this:
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows/rpms/
    >
    > So in your case you need the whole command line (all on one line):
    >
    > vsound -d -a 2 -f close_up.wav realplay
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows...ce/closeup.ram
    >
    > I just tried it and it seemed to work here!

    Bloody hell man, f**king brilliant!
    Thanks a lot for your perseverance.
    Richard.

+ Reply to Thread