Oops - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Oops - Ubuntu ; Taking the advice from a few people here, yesterday I used Gpart to partition my hard drive in preparation for installing Linux. Many thanks for the help. In a blonde moment, I inserted the Suse 10.2 DVD and installed it ...

  1. Oops

    Taking the advice from a few people here, yesterday I used Gpart to
    partition my hard drive in preparation for installing Linux. Many thanks
    for the help.

    In a blonde moment, I inserted the Suse 10.2 DVD and installed it rather
    than U/kubuntu 7.4 as had originally been my intent. The good news is, the
    installation went flawlessly and both Windows XP and Open Suse 10.2 work
    just fine but I really want to try Ubunto. So, is there any such thing in
    Linux as an uninstall or if I insert the Ubuntu DVD and restart will here be
    a prompt for replacing the Linux already installed or words to that effect?

    In short, I'd like to try Ubuntu as simply as possible.

  2. Re: Oops

    TS Mathews wrote:
    > Taking the advice from a few people here, yesterday I used Gpart to
    > partition my hard drive in preparation for installing Linux. Many thanks
    > for the help.
    >
    > In a blonde moment, I inserted the Suse 10.2 DVD and installed it rather
    > than U/kubuntu 7.4 as had originally been my intent. The good news is, the
    > installation went flawlessly and both Windows XP and Open Suse 10.2 work
    > just fine but I really want to try Ubunto. So, is there any such thing in
    > Linux as an uninstall or if I insert the Ubuntu DVD and restart will here be
    > a prompt for replacing the Linux already installed or words to that effect?
    >
    > In short, I'd like to try Ubuntu as simply as possible.

    Put it in and it will allow you to either replace something or make a
    triple boot. :-)

    arnold

  3. Re: Oops

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:31:59 -0400, arnold wrote:

    > TS Mathews wrote:
    >> Taking the advice from a few people here, yesterday I used Gpart to
    >> partition my hard drive in preparation for installing Linux. Many thanks
    >> for the help.
    >>
    >> In a blonde moment, I inserted the Suse 10.2 DVD and installed it rather
    >> than U/kubuntu 7.4 as had originally been my intent. The good news is, the
    >> installation went flawlessly and both Windows XP and Open Suse 10.2 work
    >> just fine but I really want to try Ubunto. So, is there any such thing in
    >> Linux as an uninstall or if I insert the Ubuntu DVD and restart will here be
    >> a prompt for replacing the Linux already installed or words to that effect?
    >>
    >> In short, I'd like to try Ubuntu as simply as possible.
    >>

    > Put it in and it will allow you to either replace something or make a
    > triple boot. :-)
    >
    > arnold

    No uninstall needed. Just start the install and tell it where to go.

  4. Re: Oops

    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.10.05.18.08.03.300270@zianet.com...
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:31:59 -0400, arnold wrote:
    >
    >> TS Mathews wrote:
    >>> Taking the advice from a few people here, yesterday I used Gpart to
    >>> partition my hard drive in preparation for installing Linux. Many
    >>> thanks
    >>> for the help.
    >>>
    >>> In a blonde moment, I inserted the Suse 10.2 DVD and installed it rather
    >>> than U/kubuntu 7.4 as had originally been my intent. The good news is,
    >>> the
    >>> installation went flawlessly and both Windows XP and Open Suse 10.2
    >>> work
    >>> just fine but I really want to try Ubunto. So, is there any such thing
    >>> in
    >>> Linux as an uninstall or if I insert the Ubuntu DVD and restart will
    >>> here be
    >>> a prompt for replacing the Linux already installed or words to that
    >>> effect?
    >>>
    >>> In short, I'd like to try Ubuntu as simply as possible.
    >>>

    >> Put it in and it will allow you to either replace something or make a
    >> triple boot. :-)
    >>
    >> arnold

    > No uninstall needed. Just start the install and tell it where to go.

    Thanks for the help but, sadly, it failed me. Well, it didn't fail me but I
    obviously answered something in correctly during the partition phase as when
    it was all finished, I had a wonderful, fully working Ubuntu 7.4 on my
    system...the only problem was, that's all I had on my system; so I had
    replaced XP rather than setup the dual boot.

    At any rate, I sure liked what I saw but as I absolutely have to be able to
    run either XP or Vista to get some of the pda things done, I had to reformat
    and start fresh. I think I'm going to wait a bit for the next update before
    trying again.

    One thing I did learn...gpart beats the heck out of any partitioning
    software I've tried in the past...sure is nice to actually be able to do
    just about anything I wish with my hard drive/drives.

    Thanks again to all for your help and I'll be back in a while to try again.
    In the meantime, I'll be monitoring this group, hoping to see that someone,
    somewhere has written some sync software for a Linux pocket pc connection.
    By the way, in case any of you know of anything under development, I'm using
    an HTC PPC 6800 which runs under Windows Mobile 6.1.

    Tim

  5. Re: Oops

    "TS Mathews" wrote in message

    > "ray" wrote in message
    > newsan.2007.10.05.18.08.03.300270@zianet.com...

    >>> Put it in and it will allow you to either replace something or make a
    >>> triple boot. :-)
    >>>
    >>> arnold

    >> No uninstall needed. Just start the install and tell it where to go.
    >>

    > Thanks for the help but, sadly, it failed me. Well, it didn't fail me but
    > I obviously answered something in correctly during the partition phase as
    > when it was all finished, I had a wonderful, fully working Ubuntu 7.4 on
    > my system...the only problem was, that's all I had on my system; so I had
    > replaced XP rather than setup the dual boot.
    >
    > At any rate, I sure liked what I saw but as I absolutely have to be able
    > to run either XP or Vista to get some of the pda things done, I had to
    > reformat and start fresh. I think I'm going to wait a bit for the next
    > update before trying again.
    >
    > One thing I did learn...gpart beats the heck out of any partitioning
    > software I've tried in the past...sure is nice to actually be able to do
    > just about anything I wish with my hard drive/drives.
    >
    > Thanks again to all for your help and I'll be back in a while to try
    > again. In the meantime, I'll be monitoring this group, hoping to see that
    > someone, somewhere has written some sync software for a Linux pocket pc
    > connection. By the way, in case any of you know of anything under
    > development, I'm using an HTC PPC 6800 which runs under Windows Mobile
    > 6.1.
    >
    > Tim

    XP is more tyhan likely still there, you need to restore GRUB.

+ Reply to Thread