Need Suggestions on New Hard Drive Install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Need Suggestions on New Hard Drive Install - Ubuntu ; I'm replacing a mobo, cpu, ram in a computer. I also bought a 80gb hard drive. Currently, I have Ubuntu 7.04 installed on a 6gb hard drive that I also want to use in the new system. Maybe Ubuntu on ...

  1. Need Suggestions on New Hard Drive Install

    I'm replacing a mobo, cpu, ram in a computer. I also bought a 80gb hard
    drive. Currently, I have Ubuntu 7.04 installed on a 6gb hard drive that I
    also want to use in the new system. Maybe Ubuntu on the 6gb and
    storage on the 80gb.
    I know I'll have to reinstall after the switch, but how do I set up the
    second drive to be able to accept files or should I just junk the 6gb and go
    with the 80gb by itself (the 6gb is six years old). What formatting scheme
    does Ubuntu use in a drive ?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thank you !!!

  2. Re: Need Suggestions on New Hard Drive Install

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:04:29 +0000, Lemer wrote:

    > I'm replacing a mobo, cpu, ram in a computer. I also bought a 80gb hard
    > drive. Currently, I have Ubuntu 7.04 installed on a 6gb hard drive that I
    > also want to use in the new system. Maybe Ubuntu on the 6gb and
    > storage on the 80gb.
    > I know I'll have to reinstall after the switch,

    Why? Most likely all it would require would be modification of the
    xorg.conf if you're using a different graphics card.

    > but how do I set up the
    > second drive to be able to accept files or should I just junk the 6gb
    > and go with the 80gb by itself (the 6gb is six years old). What
    > formatting scheme does Ubuntu use in a drive ?? Any suggestions would
    > be appreciated. Thank you !!!

    What do you mean by formatting scheme? If you mean partition layout, it is
    flexible. You NEED / and a swap partition, but you can have as many as you
    neeed. One layout is: /, swap, home, boot. If you mean what file system
    types, you again have lots of choice - the main ones being ext2/3 and
    reiser - but there are several others, as well.

  3. Re: Need Suggestions on New Hard Drive Install

    ray writes:

    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:04:29 +0000, Lemer wrote:
    >
    >> I'm replacing a mobo, cpu, ram in a computer. I also bought a 80gb hard
    >> drive. Currently, I have Ubuntu 7.04 installed on a 6gb hard drive that I
    >> also want to use in the new system. Maybe Ubuntu on the 6gb and
    >> storage on the 80gb.
    >> I know I'll have to reinstall after the switch,

    > Why? Most likely all it would require would be modification of the
    > xorg.conf if you're using a different graphics card.

    I cant think of any reason whatsoever to keep y 6 gig drive. It's
    probably old and slow and will add configuration issues you can do
    without. 80 gig is plenty.

    >> but how do I set up the
    >> second drive to be able to accept files or should I just junk the 6gb
    >> and go with the 80gb by itself (the 6gb is six years old). What
    >> formatting scheme does Ubuntu use in a drive ?? Any suggestions would
    >> be appreciated. Thank you !!!

    > What do you mean by formatting scheme? If you mean partition layout, it is
    > flexible. You NEED / and a swap partition, but you can have as many as
    > you

    He does not need a swap partition. Some people recommend having one
    though.

    > neeed. One layout is: /, swap, home, boot. If you mean what file system
    > types, you again have lots of choice - the main ones being ext2/3 and
    > reiser - but there are several others, as well.

    Do not touch reiser with a barge pole. It is a minority fs. Stick with
    ext3 since there is a far larger user base and help will be easier to
    find in the event of difficulties.

    --
    Hai vinto il "Premio Tatto e Cortesia Mike Buongiorno".

  4. Re: Need Suggestions on New Hard Drive Install

    Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:04:29 +0000, Lemer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm replacing a mobo, cpu, ram in a computer. I also bought a 80gb hard
    >>> drive. Currently, I have Ubuntu 7.04 installed on a 6gb hard drive that
    >>> also want to use in the new system. Maybe Ubuntu on the 6gb and
    >>> storage on the 80gb.
    >>> I know I'll have to reinstall after the switch,

    >> Why? Most likely all it would require would be modification of the
    >> xorg.conf if you're using a different graphics card.

    > I cant think of any reason whatsoever to keep y 6 gig drive. It's
    > probably old and slow and will add configuration issues you can do
    > without.

    Certainly, "kernel hacker" Hadron. Such as?

    > 80 gig is plenty.

    Maybe

    >>> but how do I set up the
    >>> second drive to be able to accept files or should I just junk the 6gb
    >>> and go with the 80gb by itself (the 6gb is six years old). What
    >>> formatting scheme does Ubuntu use in a drive ?? Any suggestions would
    >>> be appreciated. Thank you !!!

    >> What do you mean by formatting scheme? If you mean partition layout, it
    >> is flexible. You NEED / and a swap partition, but you can have as many as
    >> you

    > He does not need a swap partition. Some people recommend having one
    > though.

    He *does* need a swap partition. At least to make life simpler during setup.
    And as a little extra he gets to use "suspend" mode. You know, "swapfile
    expert" Hadron Quark, that is another thing not working with a swap file.

    He could use that old clunky 6GB drive. You know: The one which will "add
    configuration issues". The one without "any reason whatsoever to keep"

    >> neeed. One layout is: /, swap, home, boot. If you mean what file system
    >> types, you again have lots of choice - the main ones being ext2/3 and
    >> reiser - but there are several others, as well.
    >>

    > Do not touch reiser with a barge pole. It is a minority fs.

    And a lot faster with lots of small files in directories
    But then, you are now also a "FS guru" and as such declare that different
    uses don't warrant different file systems

    > Stick with ext3 since there is a far larger user base and help will be

    easier to find in the event of difficulties.

    Well, what kind of "difficulties" would you expect, "FS guru" Hadron Quark?

    --
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For thou art crunchy, and good
    with ketchup!

  5. Re: Need Suggestions on New Hard Drive Install

    In article ,
    Lemer wrote:
    > I'm replacing a mobo, cpu, ram in a computer. I also bought a 80gb hard
    > drive. Currently, I have Ubuntu 7.04 installed on a 6gb hard drive that I
    > also want to use in the new system. Maybe Ubuntu on the 6gb and
    > storage on the 80gb.
    > I know I'll have to reinstall after the switch, but how do I set up the
    > second drive to be able to accept files or should I just junk the 6gb and go
    > with the 80gb by itself (the 6gb is six years old). What formatting scheme
    > does Ubuntu use in a drive ?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    > Thank you !!!

    LVM.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: Need Suggestions on New Hard Drive Install

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:27:24 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:04:29 +0000, Lemer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm replacing a mobo, cpu, ram in a computer. I also bought a 80gb hard
    >>> drive. Currently, I have Ubuntu 7.04 installed on a 6gb hard drive that I
    >>> also want to use in the new system. Maybe Ubuntu on the 6gb and
    >>> storage on the 80gb.
    >>> I know I'll have to reinstall after the switch,

    >> Why? Most likely all it would require would be modification of the
    >> xorg.conf if you're using a different graphics card.

    > I cant think of any reason whatsoever to keep y 6 gig drive. It's
    > probably old and slow and will add configuration issues you can do
    > without. 80 gig is plenty.
    >

    >>> but how do I set up the
    >>> second drive to be able to accept files or should I just junk the 6gb
    >>> and go with the 80gb by itself (the 6gb is six years old). What
    >>> formatting scheme does Ubuntu use in a drive ?? Any suggestions would
    >>> be appreciated. Thank you !!!

    >> What do you mean by formatting scheme? If you mean partition layout, it is
    >> flexible. You NEED / and a swap partition, but you can have as many as
    >> you

    > He does not need a swap partition. Some people recommend having one
    > though.

    Correct that he does not absolutely NEED one, but it's a good idea to do.

    >> neeed. One layout is: /, swap, home, boot. If you mean what file system
    >> types, you again have lots of choice - the main ones being ext2/3 and
    >> reiser - but there are several others, as well.
    >>

    > Do not touch reiser with a barge pole. It is a minority fs. Stick with
    > ext3 since there is a far larger user base and help will be easier to
    > find in the event of difficulties.

    Possibly. I've been using reiser on almost everything for several years
    and I've never had a moment's trouble with it.

+ Reply to Thread