man entry missing - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on man entry missing - Ubuntu ; Hi all! I have this little problem: I just lost all my man entries. I don't exactly know why this happens though. I browsed to /usr/share/man and all the man pages are there. However, when I try to man, such ...

  1. man entry missing

    Hi all!

    I have this little problem: I just lost all my man entries. I don't
    exactly know why this happens though. I browsed to /usr/share/man and
    all the man pages are there. However, when I try to man, such as

    $man man

    I was given:

    No manual entry for man
    See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

    So I guess it might be that man is unable to locate these files.

    What should I do to fix this? I am a newbie so without the man pages I'd
    really panic!

    Thanks!
    Ben

  2. Re: man entry missing

    benben wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I have this little problem: I just lost all my man entries. I don't
    > exactly know why this happens though. I browsed to /usr/share/man and
    > all the man pages are there. However, when I try to man, such as
    >
    > $man man
    >
    > I was given:
    >
    > No manual entry for man
    > See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.
    >
    > So I guess it might be that man is unable to locate these files.
    >
    > What should I do to fix this? I am a newbie so without the man pages
    > I'd really panic!
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Ben

    Did you try 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not
    available?

    Do you have the "man-db" and the "manpages" packages installed?

    You can use "apt-cache policy" to quickly check:

    john@ubuntu606:~$ apt-cache policy man-db manpages
    man-db:
    Installed: 2.4.3-3
    Candidate: 2.4.3-3
    Version table:
    *** 2.4.3-3 0
    500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    manpages:
    Installed: 2.17-1
    Candidate: 2.17-1
    Version table:
    *** 2.17-1 0

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  3. Re: man entry missing

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > benben wrote:
    >> Hi all!
    >>
    >> I have this little problem: I just lost all my man entries. I don't
    >> exactly know why this happens though. I browsed to /usr/share/man and
    >> all the man pages are there. However, when I try to man, such as
    >>
    >> $man man
    >>
    >> I was given:
    >>
    >> No manual entry for man
    >> See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.
    >>
    >> So I guess it might be that man is unable to locate these files.
    >>
    >> What should I do to fix this? I am a newbie so without the man pages
    >> I'd really panic!
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Ben

    > Did you try 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not
    > available?

    Yes! But even that man page is missing!

    benben@watersidem:~$ man 7 undocumented
    No manual entry for undocumented in section 7

    > Do you have the "man-db" and the "manpages" packages installed?

    Yes

    > You can use "apt-cache policy" to quickly check:
    >
    > john@ubuntu606:~$ apt-cache policy man-db manpages
    > man-db:
    > Installed: 2.4.3-3
    > Candidate: 2.4.3-3
    > Version table:
    > *** 2.4.3-3 0
    > 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    > 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    > manpages:
    > Installed: 2.17-1
    > Candidate: 2.17-1
    > Version table:
    > *** 2.17-1 0
    > 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    > 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

    Mine looks like

    benben@watersidem:~$ apt-cache policy man-db manpages
    man-db:
    Installed: 2.4.3-5ubuntu1
    Candidate: 2.4.3-5ubuntu1
    Version table:
    *** 2.4.3-5ubuntu1 0
    500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/main Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    manpages:
    Installed: 2.39-1
    Candidate: 2.39-1
    Version table:
    *** 2.39-1 0
    500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/main Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

    What do I do next?

    Regards,
    Ben

  4. Re: man entry missing

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > benben wrote:
    >> Hi all!
    >>
    >> I have this little problem: I just lost all my man entries. I don't
    >> exactly know why this happens though. I browsed to /usr/share/man and
    >> all the man pages are there. However, when I try to man, such as
    >>
    >> $man man
    >>
    >> I was given:
    >>
    >> No manual entry for man
    >> See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.
    >>
    >> So I guess it might be that man is unable to locate these files.
    >>
    >> What should I do to fix this? I am a newbie so without the man pages
    >> I'd really panic!
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Ben

    > Did you try 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not
    > available?
    >
    > Do you have the "man-db" and the "manpages" packages installed?
    >
    > You can use "apt-cache policy" to quickly check:
    >
    > john@ubuntu606:~$ apt-cache policy man-db manpages
    > man-db:
    > Installed: 2.4.3-3
    > Candidate: 2.4.3-3
    > Version table:
    > *** 2.4.3-3 0
    > 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    > 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    > manpages:
    > Installed: 2.17-1
    > Candidate: 2.17-1
    > Version table:
    > *** 2.17-1 0
    > 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    > 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

    One more thing...I tried to echo $MANPATH and it returns nothing at all.

    Ben

  5. Re: man entry missing

    benben wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> benben wrote:
    >>> Hi all!
    >>>
    >>> I have this little problem: I just lost all my man entries. I don't
    >>> exactly know why this happens though. I browsed to /usr/share/man
    >>> and all the man pages are there. However, when I try to man, such as
    >>>
    >>> $man man
    >>>
    >>> I was given:
    >>>
    >>> No manual entry for man
    >>> See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not
    >>> available.
    >>>
    >>> So I guess it might be that man is unable to locate these files.
    >>>
    >>> What should I do to fix this? I am a newbie so without the man pages
    >>> I'd really panic!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> Ben

    >> Did you try 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not
    >> available?

    > Yes! But even that man page is missing!
    >
    > benben@watersidem:~$ man 7 undocumented
    > No manual entry for undocumented in section 7
    >

    >> Do you have the "man-db" and the "manpages" packages installed?

    > Yes
    >

    >> You can use "apt-cache policy" to quickly check:
    >>
    >> john@ubuntu606:~$ apt-cache policy man-db manpages
    >> man-db:
    >> Installed: 2.4.3-3
    >> Candidate: 2.4.3-3
    >> Version table:
    >> *** 2.4.3-3 0
    >> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    >> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    >> manpages:
    >> Installed: 2.17-1
    >> Candidate: 2.17-1
    >> Version table:
    >> *** 2.17-1 0
    >> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    >> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    >>

    > Mine looks like
    >
    > benben@watersidem:~$ apt-cache policy man-db manpages
    > man-db:
    > Installed: 2.4.3-5ubuntu1
    > Candidate: 2.4.3-5ubuntu1
    > Version table:
    > *** 2.4.3-5ubuntu1 0
    > 500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/main Packages
    > 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    > manpages:
    > Installed: 2.39-1
    > Candidate: 2.39-1
    > Version table:
    > *** 2.39-1 0
    > 500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com feisty/main Packages
    > 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    >
    > What do I do next?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ben

    Looks like you are running a newer Ubuntu than my 6.06. That shouldn't
    matter though....

    See if your path (manpath) is correct. Here is mine:

    john@ubuntu606:~$ manpath
    /usr/local/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/share/man

    If you don't have these paths set, then your system can't find the man
    pages. It shows these three manpaths, separated by colons, are:

    /usr/local/man
    /usr/local/share/man
    /usr/share/man

    The main directory is /usr/share/man which contains many directories of
    manual page sections. The other two, in /usr/local, would contain any
    locally-installed (compiled) man pages, but not those from the DEB APT
    (the package managers like apt-get/Synaptic/Aptitude) which should all
    be in the /usr/share/man directory.

    If the manpath is not correct, then the man command can't find the
    documents. You should still be able to get a man page by using the
    complete pathname. Formatting is another matter (see
    http://linux.die.net/man/1/man for some options).

    First, try "info manpath" and see if your info pages are working.

    Here is an online "man manpath" http://linux.die.net/man/1/manpath which
    should give you enough info to rebuild the manpath variable.

    Here are some good online man page sites for those emergencies:

    http://linux.die.net/man

    http://www.linuxmanpages.com

    http://www.google.com/search?q=man+pages

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_pages

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  6. Re: man entry missing

    benben wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> benben wrote:
    >>> Hi all!
    >>>
    >>> I have this little problem: I just lost all my man entries. I don't
    >>> exactly know why this happens though. I browsed to /usr/share/man
    >>> and all the man pages are there. However, when I try to man, such as
    >>>
    >>> $man man
    >>>
    >>> I was given:
    >>>
    >>> No manual entry for man
    >>> See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not
    >>> available.
    >>>
    >>> So I guess it might be that man is unable to locate these files.
    >>>
    >>> What should I do to fix this? I am a newbie so without the man pages
    >>> I'd really panic!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> Ben

    >> Did you try 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not
    >> available?
    >>
    >> Do you have the "man-db" and the "manpages" packages installed?
    >>
    >> You can use "apt-cache policy" to quickly check:
    >>
    >> john@ubuntu606:~$ apt-cache policy man-db manpages
    >> man-db:
    >> Installed: 2.4.3-3
    >> Candidate: 2.4.3-3
    >> Version table:
    >> *** 2.4.3-3 0
    >> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    >> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    >> manpages:
    >> Installed: 2.17-1
    >> Candidate: 2.17-1
    >> Version table:
    >> *** 2.17-1 0
    >> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    >> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    >>

    > One more thing...I tried to echo $MANPATH and it returns nothing at all.
    >
    > Ben

    You are right on track for remembering echo $PATH, but the manpath is a
    command in it's own right.

    Just use manpath and it will (hopefully) show a good path.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  7. Re: man entry missing

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > benben wrote:
    >> John F. Morse wrote:

    >>> Did you try 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not
    >>> available?
    >>>
    >>> Do you have the "man-db" and the "manpages" packages installed?
    >>>
    >>> You can use "apt-cache policy" to quickly check:
    >>>
    >>> john@ubuntu606:~$ apt-cache policy man-db manpages
    >>> man-db:
    >>> Installed: 2.4.3-3
    >>> Candidate: 2.4.3-3
    >>> Version table:
    >>> *** 2.4.3-3 0
    >>> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    >>> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    >>> manpages:
    >>> Installed: 2.17-1
    >>> Candidate: 2.17-1
    >>> Version table:
    >>> *** 2.17-1 0
    >>> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
    >>> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    >>>

    >> One more thing...I tried to echo $MANPATH and it returns nothing at all.
    >>
    >> Ben

    > You are right on track for remembering echo $PATH, but the manpath is a
    > command in it's own right.
    >
    > Just use manpath and it will (hopefully) show a good path.

    Ok, I used manpath and it responded as below

    benben@watersidem:~$ manpath
    manpath: warning: $MANPATH set, ignoring /etc/manpath.config
    /opt/intel/fc/10.0.023/man

    Looks like Intel Fortran compiler is to blame. I'd say that's problem
    identified.

    So, how do I revert the situation?

    Thanks!!
    Ben

  8. Re: man entry missing

    benben wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> benben wrote:

    >>> One more thing...I tried to echo $MANPATH and it returns nothing at all.
    >>>
    >>> Ben

    >> You are right on track for remembering echo $PATH, but the manpath is
    >> a command in it's own right.
    >>
    >> Just use manpath and it will (hopefully) show a good path.
    >>

    > Ok, I used manpath and it responded as below
    >
    > benben@watersidem:~$ manpath
    > manpath: warning: $MANPATH set, ignoring /etc/manpath.config
    > /opt/intel/fc/10.0.023/man
    >
    > Looks like Intel Fortran compiler is to blame. I'd say that's problem
    > identified.
    >
    > So, how do I revert the situation?
    >
    > Thanks!!
    > Ben

    Oops. Please ignore my previous message. I have this problem solved by:

    benben@watersidem:~$ unset MANPATH

    However, I would like to know the exact script that sets MANPATH in the
    first place and turn it off for good (I wouldn't want to unset MANPATH
    for every session, that is.)

    But I am quite new to this shell script business would you like to give
    me a pointer?

    And thanks for your inputs it's been really helpful!

    Regards,
    Ben

  9. Re: man entry missing

    benben wrote:
    > benben wrote:
    >> John F. Morse wrote:

    >>> You are right on track for remembering echo $PATH, but the manpath
    >>> is a command in it's own right.
    >>>
    >>> Just use manpath and it will (hopefully) show a good path.
    >>>

    >> Ok, I used manpath and it responded as below
    >>
    >> benben@watersidem:~$ manpath
    >> manpath: warning: $MANPATH set, ignoring /etc/manpath.config
    >> /opt/intel/fc/10.0.023/man
    >>
    >> Looks like Intel Fortran compiler is to blame. I'd say that's problem
    >> identified.
    >>
    >> So, how do I revert the situation?
    >>
    >> Thanks!!
    >> Ben

    > Oops. Please ignore my previous message. I have this problem solved by:
    >
    > benben@watersidem:~$ unset MANPATH
    >
    > However, I would like to know the exact script that sets MANPATH in
    > the first place and turn it off for good (I wouldn't want to unset
    > MANPATH for every session, that is.)
    >
    > But I am quite new to this shell script business would you like to
    > give me a pointer?
    >
    > And thanks for your inputs it's been really helpful!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ben

    You might study /etc/manpath.config to see if something there was
    changed. My systems do NOT have the $MANPATH variable set, so the
    /etc/manpath.config file is not ignored.

    However, if the FORTRAN compiler is creating the $MANPATH variable,
    thereby changing the path to the man documents, something probably needs
    to be changed there.

    I wish I could help you further, Ben, but all I know is what I read from
    the man and manpath man pages, and from Googling.

    I don't have any FORTRAN packages installed to study, and probably
    couldn't remember much of what little I knew about FORTRAN back in the
    '70s. My experience then was limited to remote online work on a Xerox
    Sigma 9 around 1975-1979, and an Apple FORTRAN package, based on ANSI 77
    Subset FORTRAN, that ran on my Apple ][ Pascal system around 1980. I
    should get back into that....

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  10. Re: man entry missing

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > benben wrote:
    >> benben wrote:

    >>> Ok, I used manpath and it responded as below
    >>>
    >>> benben@watersidem:~$ manpath
    >>> manpath: warning: $MANPATH set, ignoring /etc/manpath.config
    >>> /opt/intel/fc/10.0.023/man
    >>>
    >>> Looks like Intel Fortran compiler is to blame. I'd say that's problem
    >>> identified.
    >>>
    >>> So, how do I revert the situation?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!!
    >>> Ben

    >> Oops. Please ignore my previous message. I have this problem solved by:
    >>
    >> benben@watersidem:~$ unset MANPATH
    >>
    >> However, I would like to know the exact script that sets MANPATH in
    >> the first place and turn it off for good (I wouldn't want to unset
    >> MANPATH for every session, that is.)
    >>
    >> But I am quite new to this shell script business would you like to
    >> give me a pointer?
    >>
    >> And thanks for your inputs it's been really helpful!
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Ben

    > You might study /etc/manpath.config to see if something there was
    > changed. My systems do NOT have the $MANPATH variable set, so the
    > /etc/manpath.config file is not ignored.
    >
    > However, if the FORTRAN compiler is creating the $MANPATH variable,
    > thereby changing the path to the man documents, something probably needs
    > to be changed there.
    >
    > I wish I could help you further, Ben, but all I know is what I read from
    > the man and manpath man pages, and from Googling.
    >
    > I don't have any FORTRAN packages installed to study, and probably
    > couldn't remember much of what little I knew about FORTRAN back in the
    > '70s. My experience then was limited to remote online work on a Xerox
    > Sigma 9 around 1975-1979, and an Apple FORTRAN package, based on ANSI 77
    > Subset FORTRAN, that ran on my Apple ][ Pascal system around 1980. I
    > should get back into that....

    Well it's already been alot of help from you John, thanks a lot! I guess
    it's nothing much on FORTRAN per se, but rather it's installation
    script. I will examine that later.

    Ben

+ Reply to Thread