DTP software - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on DTP software - Ubuntu ; Need something to make a few posters and such up, seeing as Open Office is now FUBAR what alternatives are there that are easy to use. Thanks...

  1. DTP software

    Need something to make a few posters and such up, seeing as Open Office is
    now FUBAR what alternatives are there that are easy to use.

    Thanks

  2. Re: DTP software

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribus

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  3. Re: DTP software

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > BORG wrote:
    >> Need something to make a few posters and such up, seeing as Open Office
    >> is now FUBAR what alternatives are there that are easy to use.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribus

    perfect, thanks.

  4. Re: DTP software

    BORG wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> BORG wrote:
    >>
    >>> Need something to make a few posters and such up, seeing as Open Office
    >>> is now FUBAR what alternatives are there that are easy to use.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribus
    >>

    > perfect, thanks.

    You are welcome.

    I use Scribus for small projects, so I'm not really "experienced" on it.

    I did use PageMaker quite heavily since 1987, when it was originally
    released by Aldus, first on the Mac, then under Windows.

    Since I no longer publish newsletters, Scribus should be all I need for
    occasional page layout.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  5. Re: DTP software

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 08:49:35 +0100, BORG wrote:

    > Need something to make a few posters and such up, seeing as Open Office is
    > now FUBAR what alternatives are there that are easy to use.
    >
    > Thanks

    I did not know OpenOffice 'is now FUBAR'. I've used OO presentation to do
    posters - works quite well. Scribus would be a possibility, though it
    would be gross overkill. I've also done quite a number of good posters by
    writing the PostScript file using a text editor.

  6. Re: DTP software

    ray writes:

    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 08:49:35 +0100, BORG wrote:
    >
    >> Need something to make a few posters and such up, seeing as Open Office is
    >> now FUBAR what alternatives are there that are easy to use.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I did not know OpenOffice 'is now FUBAR'. I've used OO presentation to do
    > posters - works quite well. Scribus would be a possibility, though it
    > would be gross overkill. I've also done quite a number of good posters by
    > writing the PostScript file using a text editor.

    Yes. Because writing postscript in a text editor is a really good way of
    doing it eh?

    --
    Hai vinto il "Premio Tatto e Cortesia Mike Buongiorno".

  7. Re: DTP software

    BORG wrote:

    > Need something to make a few posters and such up, seeing as Open Office is
    > now FUBAR what alternatives are there that are easy to use.

    OO FUBAR? In general or just on your PC?

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  8. Re: DTP software

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:22:56 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 08:49:35 +0100, BORG wrote:
    >>
    >>> Need something to make a few posters and such up, seeing as Open Office is
    >>> now FUBAR what alternatives are there that are easy to use.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> I did not know OpenOffice 'is now FUBAR'. I've used OO presentation to do
    >> posters - works quite well. Scribus would be a possibility, though it
    >> would be gross overkill. I've also done quite a number of good posters by
    >> writing the PostScript file using a text editor.
    >>

    > Yes. Because writing postscript in a text editor is a really good way of
    > doing it eh?

    As a matter of fact - yes - it is an excellent way. Providing, of course,
    that you know PostScript reasonably well. I've used it to make a variety
    of logos and posters. One advantage is that they are generally quite small
    files compared to other methods.

  9. Re: DTP software

    On 2007-10-05, Hadron wrote:
    > ray writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 08:49:35 +0100, BORG wrote:
    >>
    >>> Need something to make a few posters and such up, seeing as Open Office is
    >>> now FUBAR what alternatives are there that are easy to use.

    >> I did not know OpenOffice 'is now FUBAR'. I've used OO presentation to do
    >> posters - works quite well. Scribus would be a possibility, though it
    >> would be gross overkill. I've also done quite a number of good posters by
    >> writing the PostScript file using a text editor.

    > Yes. Because writing postscript in a text editor is a really good way of
    > doing it eh?

    Yes, it is. PostScript is a programming language, and like other
    languages, it can be used to save a great deal of time. With a
    GhostView window open, and set to update the display when the file
    changes, writing PS in a text editor is, in many instances, the
    most efficient method of creating a graphic.

    As with other languages, you can build up a library of procedures
    that you often use.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  10. Re: DTP software

    "Chris F.A. Johnson" writes:

    > On 2007-10-05, Hadron wrote:
    >> ray writes:

    >>> I did not know OpenOffice 'is now FUBAR'. I've used OO presentation to do
    >>> posters - works quite well. Scribus would be a possibility, though it
    >>> would be gross overkill. I've also done quite a number of good posters by
    >>> writing the PostScript file using a text editor.

    >> Yes. Because writing postscript in a text editor is a really good way of
    >> doing it eh?

    > Yes, it is. PostScript is a programming language, and like other
    > languages, it can be used to save a great deal of time. With a
    > GhostView window open, and set to update the display when the file
    > changes, writing PS in a text editor is, in many instances, the
    > most efficient method of creating a graphic.
    >
    > As with other languages, you can build up a library of procedures
    > that you often use.

    Yes. Of course. But lets use some common sense here. or maybe Latex?

    The guy is asking for an app to "knock up some posters" not pointers to
    learn postscript for crying out loud.

    --
    Legge Unica del Dentista:
    Anche oggi usera' il trapano.

  11. Re: DTP software

    ray wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:22:56 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> ray writes:

    >>> I did not know OpenOffice 'is now FUBAR'. I've used OO presentation to
    >>> do posters - works quite well. Scribus would be a possibility, though it
    >>> would be gross overkill. I've also done quite a number of good posters
    >>> by writing the PostScript file using a text editor.
    >>>

    >> Yes. Because writing postscript in a text editor is a really good way of
    >> doing it eh?

    > As a matter of fact - yes - it is an excellent way. Providing, of course,
    > that you know PostScript reasonably well. I've used it to make a variety
    > of logos and posters. One advantage is that they are generally quite small
    > files compared to other methods.

    By the time you lot have argued over the whys and wherefores I have made the
    poster and had 200 printed out.

    So don't bother arguing on my behalf.

  12. Re: DTP software

    Hadron wrote:

    > "Chris F.A. Johnson" writes:

    >>> Yes. Because writing postscript in a text editor is a really good way of
    >>> doing it eh?

    >> Yes, it is. PostScript is a programming language, and like other
    >> languages, it can be used to save a great deal of time. With a
    >> GhostView window open, and set to update the display when the file
    >> changes, writing PS in a text editor is, in many instances, the
    >> most efficient method of creating a graphic.
    >>
    >> As with other languages, you can build up a library of procedures
    >> that you often use.

    > Yes. Of course. But lets use some common sense here. or maybe Latex?
    >
    > The guy is asking for an app to "knock up some posters" not pointers to
    > learn postscript for crying out loud.

    What is wrong with using a text editor like OO Writer and "print" to
    Postscript?
    Or, for that matter, using any other GUI text editor and doing same?
    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  13. Re: DTP software

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:44:15 +0100, BORG wrote:

    > ray wrote:

    >>> Yes. Because writing postscript in a text editor is a really good way of
    >>> doing it eh?

    >> As a matter of fact - yes - it is an excellent way. Providing, of course,
    >> that you know PostScript reasonably well. I've used it to make a variety
    >> of logos and posters. One advantage is that they are generally quite small
    >> files compared to other methods.

    > By the time you lot have argued over the whys and wherefores I have made the
    > poster and had 200 printed out.
    >
    > So don't bother arguing on my behalf.

    So, who's arguing. Glad it worked for you.

  14. Re: DTP software

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:32:30 -0600
    ray wrote:

    > So, who's arguing.

    you are.

    go on, say it, "no I'm not", you know you want to :-)

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

+ Reply to Thread