upgrading to Gutsy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on upgrading to Gutsy - Ubuntu ; I just downloaded the iso for gutsy, is there a way to upgrade my fiesty version to gutsy without reinstalling everything? I tried kdesu "adept_manager --version-upgrade" and my machine krashed Any help is appreciated...

  1. upgrading to Gutsy

    I just downloaded the iso for gutsy, is there a way to upgrade my fiesty
    version to gutsy without reinstalling everything?

    I tried kdesu "adept_manager --version-upgrade" and my machine krashed

    Any help is appreciated

  2. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:12:16 -0700, hpgarcia wrote:

    > I just downloaded the iso for gutsy, is there a way to upgrade my fiesty
    > version to gutsy without reinstalling everything?

    IIRR, in earlier Ubuntus, inserting the CD of the next version resulted in
    a dialog popping up to ask if you wanted to upgrade. Does this no longer
    happen in Gutsy?

    > I tried kdesu "adept_manager --version-upgrade" and my machine krashed

    "Krashed" - I like it!

    > Any help is appreciated

    Any?

  3. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    hpgarcia@garlic.com wrote:
    > I just downloaded the iso for gutsy, is there a way to upgrade my fiesty
    > version to gutsy without reinstalling everything?
    >
    > I tried kdesu "adept_manager --version-upgrade" and my machine krashed
    >
    > Any help is appreciated

    You could edit the sources list to read gutsy instead of fiesty then
    update and upgrade

    Regards
    Ted Wager
    Sidux Linux...

  4. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    On Thursday 04 Oct 2007 17:41 Mark South licked a pencil and jotted:

    snip

    > "Krashed" - I like it!

    snip

    Is that the KDE version of Grashed?

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  5. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > On Thursday 04 Oct 2007 17:41 Mark South licked a pencil and jotted:
    >
    > snip
    >>
    >> "Krashed" - I like it!
    >>

    > snip
    >
    > Is that the KDE version of Grashed?
    >

    > David

    Yeah, Kubuntu 7.04

  6. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    stoner wrote:

    > hpgarcia@garlic.com wrote:
    >> I just downloaded the iso for gutsy, is there a way to upgrade my fiesty
    >> version to gutsy without reinstalling everything?
    >>
    >> I tried kdesu "adept_manager --version-upgrade" and my machine krashed
    >>
    >> Any help is appreciated

    > You could edit the sources list to read gutsy instead of fiesty then
    > update and upgrade
    >
    > Regards
    > Ted Wager
    > Sidux Linux...

    I know how to edit the source list but what do I add to the source list??

  7. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    hpgarcia@garlic.com wrote:
    > stoner wrote:
    >
    >> hpgarcia@garlic.com wrote:
    >>> I just downloaded the iso for gutsy, is there a way to upgrade my fiesty
    >>> version to gutsy without reinstalling everything?
    >>>
    >>> I tried kdesu "adept_manager --version-upgrade" and my machine krashed
    >>>
    >>> Any help is appreciated

    >> You could edit the sources list to read gutsy instead of fiesty then
    >> update and upgrade
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Ted Wager
    >> Sidux Linux...

    > I know how to edit the source list but what do I add to the source list??

    Like so..............

    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security main restricted
    deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security main restricted
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe
    deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security multiverse
    deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security multiverse

    ## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 7.04 "feisty fawn"
    ## Please report any bug on https://launchpad.net/products/medibuntu/+bugs
    deb http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free
    deb-src http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free

  8. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    On 4 Oct 2007 18:41:40 +0200
    Mark South wrote:

    > "Krashed" - I like it!

    Must be a KDE thang.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  9. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:20:13 +0000, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > On Thursday 04 Oct 2007 17:41 Mark South licked a pencil and jotted:
    >
    > snip
    >>
    >> "Krashed" - I like it!
    >>

    > snip
    >
    > Is that the KDE version of Grashed?

    It's one of those thangs whuts obvious, post-hoc ;-)

  10. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    stoner wrote:

    > hpgarcia@garlic.com wrote:
    >> stoner wrote:

    >>> You could edit the sources list to read gutsy instead of fiesty then
    >>> update and upgrade
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Ted Wager
    >>> Sidux Linux...

    >> I know how to edit the source list but what do I add to the source list??

    > Like so..............
    >

    > deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security main restricted
    > deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security main restricted
    > deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe
    > deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe
    > deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security multiverse
    > deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security multiverse
    >

    > ## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 7.04 "feisty fawn"
    > ## Please report any bug on https://launchpad.net/products/medibuntu/+bugs
    > deb http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free
    > deb-src http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free

    After I add the text lines then I do a "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo
    apt-get upgrade" or something else?

    Thanks again for your help

  11. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:19:17 +0100, stoner wrote:

    >> I just downloaded the iso for gutsy, is there a way to upgrade my fiesty
    >> version to gutsy without reinstalling everything?
    >>
    >> I tried kdesu "adept_manager --version-upgrade" and my machine krashed
    >>
    >> Any help is appreciated

    > You could edit the sources list to read gutsy instead of fiesty then
    > update and upgrade

    No need to do that. Just open a terminal and type "update-manager -d" to
    upgrade.

    --
    Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

  12. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
    > On Thursday 04 Oct 2007 17:41 Mark South licked a pencil and jotted:
    >
    > snip
    >
    >> "Krashed" - I like it!
    >>

    > snip
    >
    > Is that the KDE version of Grashed?
    >

    > David

    I'd prefer to Kash in my teeth than Gnash them.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  13. Re: upgrading to Gutsy

    hpgarcia@garlic.com wrote:
    > stoner wrote:
    >
    >> hpgarcia@garlic.com wrote:

    >>> I know how to edit the source list but what do I add to the source list??

    >> Like so..............
    >>

    >> deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security main restricted
    >> deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security main restricted
    >> deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe
    >> deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe
    >> deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security multiverse
    >> deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security multiverse
    >>

    >> ## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 7.04 "feisty fawn"
    >> ## Please report any bug on https://launchpad.net/products/medibuntu/+bugs
    >> deb http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free
    >> deb-src http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free

    > After I add the text lines then I do a "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo
    > apt-get upgrade" or something else?
    >
    > Thanks again for your help

    Before you edit the list and upgrade make sure the Feisty system is up
    to date...You can then either apt-get update apt-get dist-upgrade or
    use synaptic to upgrade...

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager g3tpi