grub won't dual boot - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on grub won't dual boot - Ubuntu ; I needed to reinstall Gutsy Beta today as yesterday I lost the ability to use my terminal (!!) which seemed basic to me. I sent a message to this group asking for help but unfortunately I didn't get any replies ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. grub won't dual boot

    I needed to reinstall Gutsy Beta today as yesterday I lost the ability to
    use my terminal (!!) which seemed basic to me. I sent a message to this
    group asking for help but unfortunately I didn't get any replies on how to
    recover it. Hence the reinstall.

    I have a dual boot system (with Win XP installed first) but now GRUB won't
    recognise there is anything other than Ubuntu there. Research says that
    there may be a problem as XP needs 8MB outside its usual partition so I may
    have screwed the install again. Or could it be some magic tweak is needed to
    restore Grub to work correctly?

    To be honest I didn't notice this before when using the beta yesterday as my
    mind was taken up with exploring Gutsy (its looking great) but now I think
    of it I doubt GRUB recognised windows on the previous gutsy install.

    /boot/grub/menu.lst gives me....

    ---------------------------------------
    title Ubuntu gutsy (development branch), kernel 2.6.22-12-generic
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-12-generic
    root=UUID=6e123053-3918-4652-ad0b-23cc3ec30eea ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-12-generic
    quiet

    title Ubuntu gutsy (development branch), kernel 2.6.22-12-generic (recovery
    mode)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-12-generic
    root=UUID=6e123053-3918-4652-ad0b-23cc3ec30eea ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-12-generic

    title Ubuntu gutsy (development branch), memtest86+
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    quiet

    Any help appreciated so I don't have to do a new install yet again.
    Thanks
    Dave

  2. Re: grub won't dual boot

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:53:42 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > Any help appreciated so I don't have to do a new install yet again.

    See my response to the thread 'Freespire2' above. For more detail
    take a look at the article:
    http://apcmag.com/6101/dualboot_windows_xp_and_ubuntu
    There are related (linked) articles on various combinations of
    XP/linux/Vista which give lots of useful guidance including (in the
    Vista/linux one if I remember correctly) how to re-scan grub from
    the Live-CD if necessary.

    --
    Chris Game

    By God, for a moment there it all made sense...

  3. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Dave wrote:

    > Any help appreciated so I don't have to do a new install yet again.

    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

    Add these lines to the bottom of your menu.lst file:

    title Windows at hda1
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    Make sure there is a hard return after the last line.

    That's all there is to it.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  4. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Chris Game" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:53:42 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Any help appreciated so I don't have to do a new install yet again.

    > See my response to the thread 'Freespire2' above. For more detail
    > take a look at the article:
    > http://apcmag.com/6101/dualboot_windows_xp_and_ubuntu
    > There are related (linked) articles on various combinations of
    > XP/linux/Vista which give lots of useful guidance including (in the
    > Vista/linux one if I remember correctly) how to re-scan grub from
    > the Live-CD if necessary.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Game
    >
    > By God, for a moment there it all made sense...

    Hi Chris,
    I did exactly as you said but still wont give me the option of booting into
    win xp. Goes straight into Unbuntu even without the Ubuntu choices .
    Any more ideas?
    Is there any log I can give you to help you see what is wrong?
    Thanks
    Dave

  5. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Mark Warner" wrote in message
    > Dave wrote:
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated so I don't have to do a new install yet again.

    > sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > Add these lines to the bottom of your menu.lst file:
    >
    > title Windows at hda1
    > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > Make sure there is a hard return after the last line.
    >
    > That's all there is to it.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Warner
    > SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    > Registered Linux User #415318
    > ...lose .inhibitions when replying

    Hi Mark,
    I what you said but still won't give me the option of booting into win xp.
    Goes straight into Unbuntu even without the Ubuntu choices .
    Would sending you a log help you analyse what's happening here?
    Please let me know.
    Thanks
    Dave

  6. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Dave wrote:
    > "Mark Warner" wrote
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Any help appreciated so I don't have to do a new install yet again.

    >> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>
    >> Add these lines to the bottom of your menu.lst file:
    >>
    >> title Windows at hda1
    >> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >> chainloader +1
    >>
    >> Make sure there is a hard return after the last line.
    >>
    >> That's all there is to it.

    > I what you said but still won't give me the option of booting into win xp.
    > Goes straight into Unbuntu even without the Ubuntu choices .
    > Would sending you a log help you analyse what's happening here?

    Post the contents of /etc/fstab.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  7. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Dave" writes:

    > "Mark Warner" wrote in message
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Any help appreciated so I don't have to do a new install yet again.

    >> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>
    >> Add these lines to the bottom of your menu.lst file:
    >>
    >> title Windows at hda1
    >> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >> chainloader +1
    >>
    >> Make sure there is a hard return after the last line.
    >>
    >> That's all there is to it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark Warner
    >> SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    >> Registered Linux User #415318
    >> ...lose .inhibitions when replying

    > Hi Mark,
    > I what you said but still won't give me the option of booting into win xp.
    > Goes straight into Unbuntu even without the Ubuntu choices .
    > Would sending you a log help you analyse what's happening here?
    > Please let me know.
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    You you are saying that you see no GRUB at all?

    --
    Las mujeres cuanto más masa tengan, mas atractivas son. (Newton)

  8. Re: grub won't dual boot

    > Dave wrote:

    >>> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>>
    >>> Add these lines to the bottom of your menu.lst file:
    >>>
    >>> title Windows at hda1
    >>> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >>> chainloader +1
    >>>
    >>> Make sure there is a hard return after the last line.
    >>>
    >>> That's all there is to it.

    >> I what you said but still won't give me the option of booting into win
    >> xp. Goes straight into Unbuntu even without the Ubuntu choices .
    >> Would sending you a log help you analyse what's happening here?

    > Post the contents of /etc/fstab.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Warner
    > SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    > Registered Linux User #415318
    > ...lose .inhibitions when replying

    Hi Mark,
    /etc /fstab gives me.
    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # Entry for /dev/sda2 :

    UUID=6e123053-3918-4652-ad0b-23cc3ec30eea / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro
    0 1

    # Entry for /dev/sda4 :

    UUID=f49a590d-0fbf-409d-8530-3096ac0cf080 /home ext3 defaults 0 2

    # Entry for /dev/sda1 :

    UUID=506C42926C427330 /media/sda1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_GB.UTF-8 0 1

    # Entry for /dev/sda3 :

    UUID=2e695d7f-258a-4b5a-b5f9-04efb1afc730 none swap sw 0 0

    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0

    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0

    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0

    I installed win xp first then Gutsy Beta using its installer to partition
    the disk with sda2 for the main install, sda3 a swap file and sda4 for a
    /home partition.

    When it boots I never see the grub screen giving me a choice of which OS to
    boot which I did when I had Feisty. But I do see "grub loading stage 1.5,
    Grub loading, please wait" after the BIOS has done its thing and just
    before I get the Ubuntu splash screen.

    Sorry for my ignorance but quite new to all this.

    Thanks for any help you can give.

    Dave

  9. Re: grub won't dual boot

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:39:20 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > "Chris Game" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:53:42 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any help appreciated so I don't have to do a new install yet again.

    >> See my response to the thread 'Freespire2' above. For more detail take
    >> a look at the article:
    >> http://apcmag.com/6101/dualboot_windows_xp_and_ubuntu There are related
    >> (linked) articles on various combinations of XP/linux/Vista which give
    >> lots of useful guidance including (in the Vista/linux one if I remember
    >> correctly) how to re-scan grub from the Live-CD if necessary.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Chris Game
    >>
    >> By God, for a moment there it all made sense...

    > Hi Chris,
    > I did exactly as you said but still wont give me the option of booting
    > into win xp. Goes straight into Unbuntu even without the Ubuntu choices
    > . Any more ideas?
    > Is there any log I can give you to help you see what is wrong? Thanks
    > Dave

    Look in menu.lst for these sections. Make sure that hiddenmenu is
    commented out, and that timeout is a large enough number to be
    comfortable for you...

    ## timeout sec
    # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default
    entry
    # (normally the first entry defined).
    timeout 3

    ## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    # hiddenmenu

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  10. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > "Dave" writes:
    >
    >> "Mark Warner" wrote in message

    >>> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>>
    >>> Add these lines to the bottom of your menu.lst file:
    >>>
    >>> title Windows at hda1
    >>> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    >>> chainloader +1
    >>>
    >>> Make sure there is a hard return after the last line.
    >>>
    >>> That's all there is to it.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mark Warner
    >>> SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    >>> Registered Linux User #415318
    >>> ...lose .inhibitions when replying

    >> Hi Mark,
    >> I what you said but still won't give me the option of booting into win
    >> xp.
    >> Goes straight into Unbuntu even without the Ubuntu choices .
    >> Would sending you a log help you analyse what's happening here?
    >> Please let me know.
    >> Thanks
    >> Dave
    >>

    > You you are saying that you see no GRUB at all?
    >
    > --
    > Las mujeres cuanto ms masa tengan, mas atractivas son. (Newton)

    Ola Hadron,
    No. As I say to Mark above...when it boots I never see the grub screen
    giving me a choice of which OS to
    boot which I did when I had Feisty. But I do see "grub loading stage 1.5,
    Grub loading, please wait" after the BIOS has done its thing and just
    before I get the Ubuntu splash screen.
    Any help really appreciated.
    Obrigado.
    Dave

  11. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Can you mount and read MS partition from Linux?

    If not you probably killed the file system there. Somehow (I don't see
    how) I did it recently on my Thinkpad-42 and had to restore MS (which I
    never use but some day wife may need it for some software she hardly
    ever uses).

    Fortunately I had backed XP up with PARTIMAGE and the restore worked.

  12. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Joe" wrote in message
    news:5IGdnbRj7_K1spjanZ2dnUVZ_h3inZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:39:20 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >
    >> "Chris Game" wrote in message

    >>> See my response to the thread 'Freespire2' above. For more detail take
    >>> a look at the article:
    >>> http://apcmag.com/6101/dualboot_windows_xp_and_ubuntu There are related
    >>> (linked) articles on various combinations of XP/linux/Vista which give
    >>> lots of useful guidance including (in the Vista/linux one if I remember
    >>> correctly) how to re-scan grub from the Live-CD if necessary.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Chris Game
    >>>
    >>> By God, for a moment there it all made sense...

    >> Hi Chris,
    >> I did exactly as you said but still wont give me the option of booting
    >> into win xp. Goes straight into Unbuntu even without the Ubuntu choices
    >> . Any more ideas?
    >> Is there any log I can give you to help you see what is wrong? Thanks
    >> Dave

    > Look in menu.lst for these sections. Make sure that hiddenmenu is
    > commented out, and that timeout is a large enough number to be
    > comfortable for you...
    >
    > ## timeout sec
    > # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default
    > entry
    > # (normally the first entry defined).
    > timeout 3
    >
    > ## hiddenmenu
    > # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    > # hiddenmenu
    >

    > --
    > Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    > joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    > "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    > time..." - Danny, American History X

    It Worked!! Thanks a million Joe.
    Very strange that the install set a timeout of 3 (secs) and "hidden" wasn't
    commented out. Never had that problem in Feisty.

    Thanks again to all who suggested fixes.
    Gutsy does look really promising. Even at this Beta stage.....Just lets not
    discuss wifi, as ever.
    Dave

  13. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "George" wrote in message
    > Can you mount and read MS partition from Linux?
    >
    > If not you probably killed the file system there. Somehow (I don't see
    > how) I did it recently on my Thinkpad-42 and had to restore MS (which I
    > never use but some day wife may need it for some software she hardly ever
    > uses).
    >
    > Fortunately I had backed XP up with PARTIMAGE and the restore worked.

    George thank for the suggestion but Joe above fixed it for me as the install
    seems to have "hidden" the boot up screen. Strange.
    Thanks anyway.
    Dave

  14. Re: grub won't dual boot

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:39:20 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > "Chris Game" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:53:42 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any help appreciated so I don't have to do a new install yet again.

    >> See my response to the thread 'Freespire2' above. For more detail
    >> take a look at the article:
    >> http://apcmag.com/6101/dualboot_windows_xp_and_ubuntu
    >> There are related (linked) articles on various combinations of
    >> XP/linux/Vista which give lots of useful guidance including (in the
    >> Vista/linux one if I remember correctly) how to re-scan grub from
    >> the Live-CD if necessary.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Chris Game
    >>
    >> By God, for a moment there it all made sense...

    > Hi Chris,
    > I did exactly as you said but still wont give me the option of booting into
    > win xp. Goes straight into Unbuntu even without the Ubuntu choices .
    > Any more ideas?
    > Is there any log I can give you to help you see what is wrong?
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    Look in your /boot/grub/menu.lst for the following lines:

    ## hiddenmenu
    # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
    #hiddenmenu

    Make sure there is a pound sign '#' in front of the last hiddenmenu.
    That should make the menu appear. If it does not, post the entire
    menu.lst not just the boot stanza's.

    Cheers,
    Goph

    --
    Google is your friend LRU# 195835
    http://www.google.com

  15. Re: grub won't dual boot

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:30:54 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > As I say to Mark above...when it boots I never see the grub screen
    > giving me a choice of which OS to
    > boot which I did when I had Feisty. But I do see "grub loading stage 1.5,
    > Grub loading, please wait" after the BIOS has done its thing and just
    > before I get the Ubuntu splash screen.

    When you see the "Grub loading" message, press the ESC key and you will
    be shown the Grub menu.

  16. Re: grub won't dual boot

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:41:26 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > It Worked!! Thanks a million Joe.
    > Very strange that the install set a timeout of 3 (secs) and "hidden"
    > wasn't commented out. Never had that problem in Feisty.
    >
    > Thanks again to all who suggested fixes. Gutsy does look really
    > promising. Even at this Beta stage.....Just lets not discuss wifi, as
    > ever.

    Glad I could be of help.

    So, are you saying that you are having a WiFi issue? Broadcom adapter?

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  17. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:41:26 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >

    >> It Worked!! Thanks a million Joe.
    >> Very strange that the install set a timeout of 3 (secs) and "hidden"
    >> wasn't commented out. Never had that problem in Feisty.
    >>
    >> Thanks again to all who suggested fixes. Gutsy does look really
    >> promising. Even at this Beta stage.....Just lets not discuss wifi, as
    >> ever.

    > Glad I could be of help.
    >
    > So, are you saying that you are having a WiFi issue? Broadcom adapter?
    >
    > Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    Yep, as ever. Never managed to get wifi working on FF although I admit being
    a real newbie.
    Using an "Asus 167g USB WLAN adapter" which tells me it uses an RT73 driver
    under windoze.
    It does wrok under windoze so it seesm to be a working device.

    Installed ndisgtk and did sudo ndisgtk to get the Wireless Network Driver
    screen.

    Installed rt73.inf file which I got from the device's CD but Wireless
    Network Driver said it was an invalid driver.

    To be honest it's 0140am and I need my beauty sleep as have been struggling
    with this and other things for too many hours today but if you could give me
    some pointers I am ready to try to fix this tomorrow. Thanks again for your
    help Joe.
    Cheers
    Dave

  18. Re: grub won't dual boot

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 01:41:27 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > "Joe" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:41:26 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>> It Worked!! Thanks a million Joe.
    >>> Very strange that the install set a timeout of 3 (secs) and "hidden"
    >>> wasn't commented out. Never had that problem in Feisty.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again to all who suggested fixes. Gutsy does look really
    >>> promising. Even at this Beta stage.....Just lets not discuss wifi, as
    >>> ever.

    >> Glad I could be of help.
    >>
    >> So, are you saying that you are having a WiFi issue? Broadcom adapter?
    >>
    >> Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

    > Yep, as ever. Never managed to get wifi working on FF although I admit
    > being a real newbie.
    > Using an "Asus 167g USB WLAN adapter" which tells me it uses an RT73
    > driver under windoze.
    > It does wrok under windoze so it seesm to be a working device.
    >
    > Installed ndisgtk and did sudo ndisgtk to get the Wireless Network
    > Driver screen.
    >
    > Installed rt73.inf file which I got from the device's CD but Wireless
    > Network Driver said it was an invalid driver.
    >
    > To be honest it's 0140am and I need my beauty sleep as have been
    > struggling with this and other things for too many hours today but if
    > you could give me some pointers I am ready to try to fix this tomorrow.
    > Thanks again for your help Joe.

    I have no real help for you on this. Yours is a RealTek chipset. My
    solution was to buy equipment that I knew to have good working open
    source drivers available. Atheros chipsets are golden for a Linux PCMCIA
    adapter. You plug it in, and it works.

    I am sure that there are others here that might have answers for you,
    though. Also check ubuntuforums. I have seen the RT cards discussed
    several times.

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  19. Re: grub won't dual boot

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:53:37 -0500, Joe wrote:

    >> Installed ndisgtk and did sudo ndisgtk to get the Wireless Network
    >> Driver screen.
    >>
    >> Installed rt73.inf file which I got from the device's CD but Wireless
    >> Network Driver said it was an invalid driver.

    Did you place the .sys file that goes with that .inf in the same
    directory?

    grep "sys" rt73.inf

    >> To be honest it's 0140am and I need my beauty sleep as have been
    >> struggling with this and other things for too many hours today but if
    >> you could give me some pointers I am ready to try to fix this tomorrow.
    >> Thanks again for your help Joe.

    > I have no real help for you on this.

    See below :-)

    > Yours is a RealTek chipset.

    It's not. The RT73 is a Ralink chipset.

    > My
    > solution was to buy equipment that I knew to have good working open
    > source drivers available. Atheros chipsets are golden for a Linux PCMCIA
    > adapter. You plug it in, and it works.

    Except that the madwifi driver is *not* open source. It uses a
    proprietary, secret, binary blob. That's why it's in the restricted
    drivers section.

    And except that Dave's wireless is USB, and if he goes to get an Atheros
    USB stick it won't work at all under Linux.

  20. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Mark South" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:53:37 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >
    >>> Installed ndisgtk and did sudo ndisgtk to get the Wireless Network
    >>> Driver screen.
    >>>
    >>> Installed rt73.inf file which I got from the device's CD but Wireless
    >>> Network Driver said it was an invalid driver.

    > Did you place the .sys file that goes with that .inf in the same
    > directory?
    >
    > grep "sys" rt73.inf
    >
    >>> To be honest it's 0140am and I need my beauty sleep as have been
    >>> struggling with this and other things for too many hours today but if
    >>> you could give me some pointers I am ready to try to fix this tomorrow.
    >>> Thanks again for your help Joe.

    >> I have no real help for you on this.

    > See below :-)
    >
    >> Yours is a RealTek chipset.

    > It's not. The RT73 is a Ralink chipset.
    >
    >> My
    >> solution was to buy equipment that I knew to have good working open
    >> source drivers available. Atheros chipsets are golden for a Linux PCMCIA
    >> adapter. You plug it in, and it works.

    > Except that the madwifi driver is *not* open source. It uses a
    > proprietary, secret, binary blob. That's why it's in the restricted
    > drivers section.
    >
    > And except that Dave's wireless is USB, and if he goes to get an Atheros
    > adapter
    > USB stick it won't work at all under Linux.

    Hi Mark,
    No I didn't add the rt73.sys file and when I just tried to do it using
    Wireless Windows Drivers UI it says @rt73.sys not a valid info file"...which
    we can agree with!
    So where does rt73.inf reside so I can add rt73.sys
    Or can you point me at a CLI way of doing this.
    Many thanks
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast