grub won't dual boot - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on grub won't dual boot - Ubuntu ; On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:24:20 +0100, Dave wrote: > No I didn't add the rt73.sys file and when I just tried to do it using > Wireless Windows Drivers UI it says @rt73.sys not a valid info file"...which > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: grub won't dual boot

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:24:20 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > No I didn't add the rt73.sys file and when I just tried to do it using
    > Wireless Windows Drivers UI it says @rt73.sys not a valid info file"...which
    > we can agree with!
    > So where does rt73.inf reside so I can add rt73.sys
    > Or can you point me at a CLI way of doing this.

    OK, let's take it a step at a time.

    1. You put the .inf and the .sys file in the same directory.

    2. You use the add-windows-wireless-driver tool to add the .inf file.
    (You don't add the .sys file, but the tool needs to find it with the .inf
    file.)

    The CLI way to use ndiswrapper (with .inf and .sys files in the directory)
    is to do the following:

    sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    sudo ndiswrapper -i rt73.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper -l <---- shows driver loaded and hardware if present
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

    BUT, BUT, BUT: you _are_ using Ubuntu, right? Ubuntu 7.04 has the native
    driver built in, you should not need to do anything except plug the stick
    in....

  2. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Mark South" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:24:20 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >
    >> No I didn't add the rt73.sys file and when I just tried to do it using
    >> Wireless Windows Drivers UI it says @rt73.sys not a valid info
    >> file"...which
    >> we can agree with!
    >> So where does rt73.inf reside so I can add rt73.sys
    >> Or can you point me at a CLI way of doing this.

    > OK, let's take it a step at a time.
    >
    > 1. You put the .inf and the .sys file in the same directory.
    >
    > 2. You use the add-windows-wireless-driver tool to add the .inf file.
    > (You don't add the .sys file, but the tool needs to find it with the .inf
    > file.)
    >
    > The CLI way to use ndiswrapper (with .inf and .sys files in the directory)
    > is to do the following:
    >
    > sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    > sudo ndiswrapper -i rt73.inf
    > sudo ndiswrapper -l <---- shows driver loaded and hardware if present
    > sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    >
    > BUT, BUT, BUT: you _are_ using Ubuntu, right? Ubuntu 7.04 has the native
    > driver built in, you should not need to do anything except plug the stick
    > in....

    Last question first...yes I am using Ubuntu but using Gutsy Beta with all
    the latest updates.

    Thanks for spelling out the issue with sys and inf files. NOW I understand.
    And yes it (Wireless Windows Drivers) did recognise the rt73 as valid and
    said Hardware Present. I did all the CLI stuff and got no grief.
    Many thanks for that Mark. Real progress.

    I set up SSID and my WEP password and DHCP in properties..but
    The nm-applet still doesn't see a wireless connection.and clicking on
    Firefox confirms I am not connected to my ireless network. The wired one
    works just fine.
    I think the technical term is bugger!

    What may or may not be of relevance is that when I first realised I didn't
    have a network connection, after doing all that above, I decided to log out
    then log in. I know. I know. Too many years of Windows indoctrination!!! But
    on logging back in I got a desktop devoid of my usual icons. And right
    clicking on an application did not install any icon. I rebooted and the boot
    stalled at the Ubuntu splash screen. So I took out the WiFi USB stick, and
    on reboot everything went as usual, the icons reappeared and life got back
    to normal. I then reinstalled the USB stick but still no wireless.
    Weird.

    Would any log file help you to help me. If you have got far better things to
    do then I really understand and thank you for your help getting me this far.

    Lastly I have it in the back of my mind reading about the blacklisting of
    drivers in the 7.X version of Ubuntu. Can't find anything relevant on google
    currently. Could this be an issue.?

    Thanks again
    Dave

  3. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Dave" wrote in message

    > "Mark South" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:24:20 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> No I didn't add the rt73.sys file and when I just tried to do it using
    >>> Wireless Windows Drivers UI it says @rt73.sys not a valid info
    >>> file"...which
    >>> we can agree with!
    >>> So where does rt73.inf reside so I can add rt73.sys
    >>> Or can you point me at a CLI way of doing this.

    >> OK, let's take it a step at a time.
    >>
    >> 1. You put the .inf and the .sys file in the same directory.
    >>
    >> 2. You use the add-windows-wireless-driver tool to add the .inf file.
    >> (You don't add the .sys file, but the tool needs to find it with the .inf
    >> file.)
    >>
    >> The CLI way to use ndiswrapper (with .inf and .sys files in the
    >> directory)
    >> is to do the following:
    >>
    >> sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    >> sudo ndiswrapper -i rt73.inf
    >> sudo ndiswrapper -l <---- shows driver loaded and hardware if present
    >> sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    >>
    >> BUT, BUT, BUT: you _are_ using Ubuntu, right? Ubuntu 7.04 has the native
    >> driver built in, you should not need to do anything except plug the stick
    >> in....

    > Last question first...yes I am using Ubuntu but using Gutsy Beta with all
    > the latest updates.
    >
    > Thanks for spelling out the issue with sys and inf files. NOW I
    > understand.
    > And yes it (Wireless Windows Drivers) did recognise the rt73 as valid and
    > said Hardware Present. I did all the CLI stuff and got no grief.
    > Many thanks for that Mark. Real progress.
    >
    > I set up SSID and my WEP password and DHCP in properties..but
    > The nm-applet still doesn't see a wireless connection.and clicking on
    > Firefox confirms I am not connected to my ireless network. The wired one
    > works just fine.
    > I think the technical term is bugger!
    >
    > What may or may not be of relevance is that when I first realised I didn't
    > have a network connection, after doing all that above, I decided to log
    > out then log in. I know. I know. Too many years of Windows
    > indoctrination!!! But on logging back in I got a desktop devoid of my
    > usual icons. And right clicking on an application did not install any
    > icon. I rebooted and the boot stalled at the Ubuntu splash screen. So I
    > took out the WiFi USB stick, and on reboot everything went as usual, the
    > icons reappeared and life got back to normal. I then reinstalled the USB
    > stick but still no wireless.
    > Weird.
    >
    > Would any log file help you to help me. If you have got far better things
    > to do then I really understand and thank you for your help getting me this
    > far.
    >
    > Lastly I have it in the back of my mind reading about the blacklisting of
    > drivers in the 7.X version of Ubuntu. Can't find anything relevant on
    > google currently. Could this be an issue.?
    >
    > Thanks again
    > Dave

    Well after a bit more brute force and ignorance on my part it's now working.
    I am not too sure the nm-applet is reporting things right and/or working
    okay. So I set up everything yet again but using Windows Wireless Drivers
    screen (it this the front end of ndiswrapper??) and off it went.
    Thanks Mark and all the others who helped. It's really appreciated.
    Dave

  4. Re: grub won't dual boot

    I've snipped a fair bit, because this has to be a reasonably short reply.

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:54:41 +0100,
    Dave wrote:

    >> Lastly I have it in the back of my mind reading about the blacklisting of
    >> drivers in the 7.X version of Ubuntu. Can't find anything relevant on
    >> google currently. Could this be an issue.?

    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

    will show the drivers that are blacklisted.

    > Well after a bit more brute force and ignorance on my part it's now
    > working. I am not too sure the nm-applet is reporting things right

    I am learning to loathe nm-applet. It is one of the buggiest peices of
    software on the planet, after Windows Vista, and I have no idea how it
    could have been included in a production release of anything.

    Connecting manually is often faster than using nm-applet.

    Try Wifi Radar, it's in the repositories.

    > and/or working okay. So I set up everything yet again but using Windows
    > Wireless Drivers screen (it this the front end of ndiswrapper??)

    It's a Gnome GUI to set up ndiswrapper.

    > and off it went. Thanks Mark and all the others who helped. It's really
    > appreciated.

    Cool you got it going.

  5. Re: was @grub won't dual boot@...but really networking problems

    "Mark South" wrote in message
    > I've snipped a fair bit, because this has to be a reasonably short reply.
    >
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:54:41 +0100,
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >>> Lastly I have it in the back of my mind reading about the blacklisting
    >>> of
    >>> drivers in the 7.X version of Ubuntu. Can't find anything relevant on
    >>> google currently. Could this be an issue.?

    > cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >
    > will show the drivers that are blacklisted.
    >
    >> Well after a bit more brute force and ignorance on my part it's now
    >> working. I am not too sure the nm-applet is reporting things right

    > I am learning to loathe nm-applet. It is one of the buggiest peices of
    > software on the planet, after Windows Vista, and I have no idea how it
    > could have been included in a production release of anything.
    >
    > Connecting manually is often faster than using nm-applet.
    >
    > Try Wifi Radar, it's in the repositories.
    >
    >> and/or working okay. So I set up everything yet again but using Windows
    >> Wireless Drivers screen (it this the front end of ndiswrapper??)

    > It's a Gnome GUI to set up ndiswrapper.
    >
    >> and off it went. Thanks Mark and all the others who helped. It's really
    >> appreciated.

    > Cool you got it going.

    Mark,
    I spoke too soon. It did work for a few minutes but then when I went back to
    my wired connection I found_ that_ wouldn't work. The PC continued to freeze
    on reboot if I had the wifi stick attached and even when I took it out I had
    a job getting bog standard wire ethernet to work again. Just got it going
    again now. What pain.

    In doing so I noticed two things:

    1. I need to use "roaming" rather than DHCP when setting up wired network in
    System>Admin>Networks. Is this right?

    2. Sometimes when I try to open using my ubuntu PC a *.txt document
    residing on my windows xp PC, it gives an error "could not open the file
    smb://PC/My%20file.txt@ Unexpected internal error.
    What's this now??

    Can anyone help please.
    By the way is it netiquette to start a new thread with a better and more
    accurate title...or carry on not losing the threading??
    Dave

  6. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Joe writes:

    > I have never worked with a USB WiFi, but I am pretty sure that Moog has
    > discussed them here in the past. I'll bet you have plenty of suggestions
    > by the time you wake up... ;-)

    I remember a thread not so long ago which basically said "forget it"
    with regard to USB wifi on Ubuntu. I don't know how true that is now.

    --
    Si pudiera comprar a  por lo que vale, y venderlo por lo que cree
    valer, me harÃÂ*a millonario.

  7. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > Joe writes:
    >
    >> I have never worked with a USB WiFi, but I am pretty sure that Moog has
    >> discussed them here in the past. I'll bet you have plenty of suggestions
    >> by the time you wake up... ;-)

    > I remember a thread not so long ago which basically said "forget it"
    > with regard to USB wifi on Ubuntu. I don't know how true that is now.
    >

    > --
    > Si pudiera comprar a  por lo que vale, y venderlo por lo que cree
    > valer, me harÃ*a millonario.

    Hi Hadron,
    FWIW my experience seems to agree that's its not an easy job, especially for
    a newbie like me, who's still very much on a learning curve......

    But..thanks to a some very helpful folk here I DID get it up and running
    today, albeit with some crashes and problems (see later in the thread) that
    followed...and others have said it's possible. That's why I have been
    stubborn in trying to get it running.

    So if Moog or anyone else can throw some light on what I can try then it
    would be really appreciated.

    Meanwhile this is the only thing that's holding me up from saying farewell
    to windows as my main machine.

    Cheers
    Dave

  8. Re: grub won't dual boot

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:19:54 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Joe writes:
    >
    >> I have never worked with a USB WiFi, but I am pretty sure that Moog has
    >> discussed them here in the past. I'll bet you have plenty of suggestions
    >> by the time you wake up... ;-)

    > I remember a thread not so long ago which basically said "forget it"
    > with regard to USB wifi on Ubuntu. I don't know how true that is now.

    It's like this: some USB chips have no native driver, and some USB chips
    do not work with ndiswrapper.

    Get a PCI or PCMCIA card and even if there is no native driver it will
    probably work with ndiswrapper (even the Broadcom chips).

    But before getting a USB wireless stick, try to check the chipset and make
    sure there is a native driver. That means no Atheros USB sticks, for one
    thing.

  9. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Dave illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > <...>
    > Well after a bit more brute force and ignorance on my part it's now working.
    > I am not too sure the nm-applet is reporting things right and/or working
    > okay. So I set up everything yet again but using Windows Wireless Drivers
    > screen (it this the front end of ndiswrapper??) and off it went.
    > Thanks Mark and all the others who helped. It's really appreciated.
    > Dave

    Dave. Post the contents of your /network/interfaces file.

    Whatever anyone says about nm-applet, it is not buggy or a piece of
    crap. It simply does not cope very well with hordes of inactive
    interfaces.

    You'll see from your interfaces file that you have *far* too many and
    nm-applet is trying to be all things to all men by running every
    interface listed. If you post it, I'll show you how to get nm-applet
    to run like a dream.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  10. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Mark South illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I've snipped a fair bit, because this has to be a reasonably short reply.
    >
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:54:41 +0100,
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >>> Lastly I have it in the back of my mind reading about the blacklisting of
    >>> drivers in the 7.X version of Ubuntu. Can't find anything relevant on
    >>> google currently. Could this be an issue.?

    > cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >
    > will show the drivers that are blacklisted.
    >
    >> Well after a bit more brute force and ignorance on my part it's now
    >> working. I am not too sure the nm-applet is reporting things right

    > I am learning to loathe nm-applet. It is one of the buggiest peices of

    That is simply not true, Mark. It is a great piece of software.

    Simply trim your /network/interfaces file.

    The fact that ubuntu pre-sets all your inactive interfaces is what
    throws nm-applet off. Blame anyone *but* nm-applet.

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  11. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Dave illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > So if Moog or anyone else can throw some light on what I can try then it
    > would be really appreciated.

    Dave. Sorry to be blunt, but USB wireless is a waste of time. It's a
    little like the "winmodem" scenario of yesteryear.

    IMHO, get a mini-pci, pci or pcmcia that has native linux support.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  12. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Dave illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> <...>
    >> So if Moog or anyone else can throw some light on what I can try then it
    >> would be really appreciated.

    > Dave. Sorry to be blunt, but USB wireless is a waste of time. It's a
    > little like the "winmodem" scenario of yesteryear.
    >
    > IMHO, get a mini-pci, pci or pcmcia that has native linux support.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the
    > leather straps."

    Hi Moog,

    I just posted my /network/interfaces file to you but now seen this message.
    Okay I'll give up but being a stubborn git I am going to have one least try
    with a Wireless PCI card I have although it has a Broadcom chip set.

    If that doesn't work then I'll go out and buy something.

    I didn't take anything you said as blunt Moog. If that is the salutation
    with USB wireless then I will just have to accept it
    Cheers and thanks.
    Dave

  13. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Moog" wrote in message
    > Dave illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> <...>
    >> Well after a bit more brute force and ignorance on my part it's now
    >> working.
    >> I am not too sure the nm-applet is reporting things right and/or working
    >> okay. So I set up everything yet again but using Windows Wireless Drivers
    >> screen (it this the front end of ndiswrapper??) and off it went.
    >> Thanks Mark and all the others who helped. It's really appreciated.
    >> Dave

    > Dave. Post the contents of your /network/interfaces file.
    >
    > Whatever anyone says about nm-applet, it is not buggy or a piece of
    > crap. It simply does not cope very well with hordes of inactive
    > interfaces.
    >
    > You'll see from your interfaces file that you have *far* too many and
    > nm-applet is trying to be all things to all men by running every
    > interface listed. If you post it, I'll show you how to get nm-applet
    > to run like a dream.
    >
    > --
    > Moog
    >
    > "Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the
    > leather straps."

    Hi Moog
    Good to hear you've joined the help team here!
    I assume you've read my other posts since that one when I said it fell apart
    again and keeps freezing on reboot.

    My /etc/network/interfaces file gives:
    ----------------------------
    auto lo

    iface lo inet loopback

    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    auto eth0

    --------------------------------

    But this is with my ethernet wired connect unplugged and the wireless
    adapter unplugged. It freezes the PC now if installed.

    Does this help?
    Cheers

    Dave

  14. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Moog writes:

    > Mark South illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I've snipped a fair bit, because this has to be a reasonably short reply.

    >> cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >>
    >> will show the drivers that are blacklisted.
    >>
    >>> Well after a bit more brute force and ignorance on my part it's now
    >>> working. I am not too sure the nm-applet is reporting things right

    >> I am learning to loathe nm-applet. It is one of the buggiest peices of

    > That is simply not true, Mark. It is a great piece of software.

    Then it has improved considerably. Does it now work properly with the
    interfaces file?

    --
    Legge Unica del Dentista:
    Anche oggi usera' il trapano.

  15. Re: grub won't dual boot

    "Mark South" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:19:54 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Joe writes:
    >>
    >>> I have never worked with a USB WiFi, but I am pretty sure that Moog has
    >>> discussed them here in the past. I'll bet you have plenty of
    >>> suggestions
    >>> by the time you wake up... ;-)

    >> I remember a thread not so long ago which basically said "forget it"
    >> with regard to USB wifi on Ubuntu. I don't know how true that is now.

    > It's like this: some USB chips have no native driver, and some USB chips
    > do not work with ndiswrapper.
    >
    > Get a PCI or PCMCIA card and even if there is no native driver it will
    > probably work with ndiswrapper (even the Broadcom chips).
    >
    > But before getting a USB wireless stick, try to check the chipset and make
    > sure there is a native driver. That means no Atheros USB sticks, for one
    > thing.

    I give up.
    Have tried everyone's suggestions and spent 2 days on this. Tried with the
    USB WiFi adapter (ndiswrapper site says it is supported and it did work for
    a while) and with a Linksys (Broadcom) PCI card which didn't connect either.

    Dave

  16. Re: grub won't dual boot

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:01:20 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >> I am learning to loathe nm-applet. It is one of the buggiest peices of

    > That is simply not true, Mark. It is a great piece of software.

    Hmm. You wouldn't think that if you'd seen what I've seen.

    > Simply trim your /network/interfaces file.

    All I have in /etc/netowrk/interfaces is the lines for lo.

    > The fact that ubuntu pre-sets all your inactive interfaces is what
    > throws nm-applet off. Blame anyone *but* nm-applet.

    No, it really is a buggy piece of trash. When it works it works well, but
    often it doesn't work. And it's badly designed, like it has no way to
    turn it off and it has no way to set up useful dialogue with the app.

    Take a look at the bug entries in launchpad and in other bugzillas (fedora
    for one) and you'll see the amount of pain it has generated.

  17. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Dave illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <....>
    > Hi Moog
    > Good to hear you've joined the help team here!
    > I assume you've read my other posts since that one when I said it fell apart
    > again and keeps freezing on reboot.
    >
    > My /etc/network/interfaces file gives:
    > ----------------------------
    > auto lo
    >
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >
    > iface eth0 inet dhcp
    >
    > auto eth0
    >
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > But this is with my ethernet wired connect unplugged and the wireless
    > adapter unplugged. It freezes the PC now if installed.
    >
    > Does this help?

    Not really. The populated interfaces file is required

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  18. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Mark South illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:01:20 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >>> I am learning to loathe nm-applet. It is one of the buggiest peices of

    >> That is simply not true, Mark. It is a great piece of software.

    > Hmm. You wouldn't think that if you'd seen what I've seen.

    Perhaps. Honestly, I believe I wouldn't see what you see. I haven't
    yet with numerous installs and a plethora of differing hardware.

    >> Simply trim your /network/interfaces file.

    > All I have in /etc/netowrk/interfaces is the lines for lo.

    Good. That's a start.

    >> The fact that ubuntu pre-sets all your inactive interfaces is what
    >> throws nm-applet off. Blame anyone *but* nm-applet.

    > No, it really is a buggy piece of trash.

    Interesting. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

    > When it works it works well,

    It most certainly does. I've never had an issue with it.

    > but often it doesn't work. And it's badly designed,

    Agree to disagree again?

    > like it has no way to turn it off

    Remove it from your sessions startup list and kill the process in
    either a terminal or via the GUI.

    > and it has no way to set up useful dialogue with the app.

    What useful dialogue are you trying to achive with it? All it does is
    sit and give information on your active networks. Once configured
    correctly, it's fine.

    > Take a look at the bug entries in launchpad and in other bugzillas (fedora
    > for one) and you'll see the amount of pain it has generated.

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...manager-applet
    Nothing severe there.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  19. Re: grub won't dual boot

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog writes:
    >
    >> Mark South illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I've snipped a fair bit, because this has to be a reasonably short reply.

    >>> cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >>>
    >>> will show the drivers that are blacklisted.

    >>> I am learning to loathe nm-applet. It is one of the buggiest peices of

    >> That is simply not true, Mark. It is a great piece of software.

    > Then it has improved considerably. Does it now work properly with the
    > interfaces file?

    Of course it does. However, if the interfaces file contains duff
    entries, then nm-applet quite rightly complains or gets confused.

    It's not a fault of nm-applet. It's a fault of the installer not
    querying which interfaces you actually use.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

+ Reply to Thread