Gvim/vim with Nautilus and smb:// - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Gvim/vim with Nautilus and smb:// - Ubuntu ; Has anyone gotten Vim (specifically gVim) to work transparently with network URLs? For example, using gedit, I can do this: 1) Browse in Nautilus to a SMB network share, "smb://server-name/sharename" 2) Right-click a text file and choose "Open with Text ...

  1. Gvim/vim with Nautilus and smb://

    Has anyone gotten Vim (specifically gVim) to work transparently with
    network URLs? For example, using gedit, I can do this:

    1) Browse in Nautilus to a SMB network share, "smb://server-name/sharename"

    2) Right-click a text file and choose "Open with Text Editor" (which opens
    the file in Gedit)

    3) make changes in gedit, and SAVE. That's the important bit -- Gedit has
    built-in Gnome network transparency and will save to SFTP:// URLs, SMB://,
    FTP://, etc.

    But if you substitute "Gvim" for "Gedit" in the above steps, IT DOES NOT
    WORK. In fact, Gvim will not even open the file, and says something
    similar to:

    "smb://vmware@vmware-server/www/TextFile.txt" [New DIRECTORY] 0,0-1 All

    It thinks the file name is a "New DIRECTORY". WTF?

    A few years ago there was a gnome-vfs plugin or component being built for
    Gvim but that appears to have died.
    (http://www.opensky.ca/~jdhildeb/software/gnome-vim/)

    Heeeeellllp!!

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Gvim/vim with Nautilus and smb://

    JDS wrote:

    > But if you substitute "Gvim" for "Gedit" in the above steps, IT DOES NOT
    > WORK. In fact, Gvim will not even open the file, and says something
    > similar to:
    >
    > "smb://vmware@vmware-server/www/TextFile.txt" [New DIRECTORY] 0,0-1 All

    If you mount the samba share instead, then you can use any tool you want to
    modify files.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Gvim/vim with Nautilus and smb://

    JDS wrote:

    > Has anyone gotten Vim (specifically gVim) to work transparently with
    > network URLs?

    See :help netrw

    > For example, using gedit, I can do this:
    >
    > 1) Browse in Nautilus to a SMB network share, "smb://server-name/sharename"
    >
    > 2) Right-click a text file and choose "Open with Text Editor" (which opens
    > the file in Gedit)
    >
    > 3) make changes in gedit, and SAVE. That's the important bit -- Gedit has
    > built-in Gnome network transparency and will save to SFTP:// URLs, SMB://,
    > FTP://, etc.

    vim doesn't use Gnome's virtual file system but has some network support
    build in.

    Florian

  4. Re: Gvim/vim with Nautilus and smb://

    On 2007-10-03 18:33, JDS wrote:
    > Has anyone gotten Vim (specifically gVim) to work transparently with
    > network URLs? For example, using gedit, I can do this:
    >
    > 1) Browse in Nautilus to a SMB network share, "smb://server-name/sharename"
    >
    > 2) Right-click a text file and choose "Open with Text Editor" (which opens
    > the file in Gedit)
    >
    > 3) make changes in gedit, and SAVE. That's the important bit -- Gedit has
    > built-in Gnome network transparency and will save to SFTP:// URLs, SMB://,
    > FTP://, etc.
    >
    > But if you substitute "Gvim" for "Gedit" in the above steps, IT DOES NOT
    > WORK. In fact, Gvim will not even open the file, and says something
    > similar to:
    >
    > "smb://vmware@vmware-server/www/TextFile.txt" [New DIRECTORY] 0,0-1 All
    >
    > It thinks the file name is a "New DIRECTORY". WTF?
    >
    > A few years ago there was a gnome-vfs plugin or component being built for
    > Gvim but that appears to have died.
    > (http://www.opensky.ca/~jdhildeb/software/gnome-vim/)
    >
    > Heeeeellllp!!
    >
    > Thanks!

    If you look at /etc/auto.master :

    #
    # $Id: auto.master,v 1.4 2005/01/04 14:36:54 raven Exp $
    #
    # Sample auto.master file
    # This is an automounter map and it has the following format
    # key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
    # For details of the format look at autofs(5).
    #/misc /etc/auto.misc --timeout=60
    #/smb /etc/auto.smb
    #/misc /etc/auto.misc
    /net /etc/auto.net

    (since I never use any win* junk, I only use /net )

    You can use your automounter to fix this transparent for ANY application.

    Just enable it, and you can just edit /smb/server-name/share/anything.
    Just as /net for NFS
    birre@bblin3:~> ls /net/bblin1/srv/ftp/pub
    opensuse tracker.rpm

    /bb