Freespire2 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Freespire2 - Ubuntu ; I need some more freespire help. I want to command the video display down to the horizontal and vertical scan rates. The problem is that if I only control or 'command' or set the desired resolution which optimally would be ...

  1. Freespire2

    I need some more freespire help.

    I want to command the video display down to the horizontal and vertical
    scan rates. The problem is that if I only control or 'command' or set
    the desired resolution which optimally would be 1280x1024@60Hz (max
    75Hz), the 'system' installed attempts 1280x1024 at some unknown
    incompatible settings and then auto-tries a different resolution. My
    LCD monitor is designed to autoadjust, so the result is that the mutual
    adjustment leads to 1024x768 which is not optimal for the LCD.

    I know the optimal horizontal and vertical frequencies for the optimal
    output of the montor; at 1280x1024@60Hz they are 70.660KHz horiz and
    66.472Hz vert. I want to tell the configuration to use those settings.

    The other thing I need to do is to restore my grub boot manager which
    got wiped out by the linspire install. Either I didn't get any options
    or I didn't recognize the option correctly. The other partitions are
    still there, but there is no grub boot manager. Can I do that with my
    Ub or Kub 7.04 live CD?

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: Freespire2

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:48:42 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > I need some more freespire help.
    >
    > I want to command the video display down to the horizontal and vertical
    > scan rates. The problem is that if I only control or 'command' or set
    > the desired resolution which optimally would be 1280x1024@60Hz (max
    > 75Hz), the 'system' installed attempts 1280x1024 at some unknown
    > incompatible settings and then auto-tries a different resolution. My
    > LCD monitor is designed to autoadjust, so the result is that the mutual
    > adjustment leads to 1024x768 which is not optimal for the LCD.
    >
    > I know the optimal horizontal and vertical frequencies for the optimal
    > output of the montor; at 1280x1024@60Hz they are 70.660KHz horiz and
    > 66.472Hz vert. I want to tell the configuration to use those settings.

    You can configure those settings via the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, make
    backups though before you mess with it so you can easily restore a
    working config if you screw up.

    Also, what driver are you using?

    If you have an nVidia or ATI card and are using the appropriate driver
    you should normally automatically get the correct resolution.

    > The other thing I need to do is to restore my grub boot manager which
    > got wiped out by the linspire install. Either I didn't get any options
    > or I didn't recognize the option correctly. The other partitions are
    > still there, but there is no grub boot manager. Can I do that with my
    > Ub or Kub 7.04 live CD?

    Yes:

    If you scroll down, you'll see instructions from someone named "wernst"
    on April 8th 2005, I've found his instructions to work very well.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: Freespire2

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> I need some more freespire help.
    >>
    >> I want to command the video display down to the horizontal and
    >> vertical scan rates.

    > You can configure those settings via the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, make
    > backups though before you mess with it so you can easily restore a
    > working config if you screw up.

    Okey dokey.

    Hmm. Reading the xorg.conf file, it has my monitor correctly identified
    and it has a 'whole bunch' of possible resolutions and a range of horiz
    sync and vert refresh which are 'correct' as far as they go, but that
    information is too loose for the correct result to occur. Is the idea
    that I would edit that file and take away every piece of information
    which I don't want 'considered'? That instead of a range for values, I
    would put a single value for the horiz sync and a single value for the
    vert refresh and a single value pair for the resolution? That seems
    strange.

    > Also, what driver are you using?

    I have no idea. The video is built into the mobo its SiS support chips
    which all seem to be recognized 'vaguely' by the system, ie the SiS
    chips are recognized and the mobo's identity is correct as to brand.
    The same is true for the ethernet and audio, and all of that mobo
    'stuff' is identified fundamentally correctly and works.

    > If you have an nVidia or ATI card and are using the appropriate driver
    > you should normally automatically get the correct resolution.

    >> The other thing I need to do is to restore my grub boot manager which
    >> got wiped out by the linspire install. Either I didn't get any
    >> options or I didn't recognize the option correctly. The other
    >> partitions are still there, but there is no grub boot manager. Can
    >> I do that with my Ub or Kub 7.04 live CD?

    > Yes:
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-24113.html
    >
    > If you scroll down, you'll see instructions from someone named
    > "wernst" on April 8th 2005, I've found his instructions to work very
    > well.

    Errk. I'm trying but I'm not getting that to work. The freespire uses
    the kde control center which has a volume manager which volume manager
    says whether a partition should be bootable or not and if it should show
    in the boot manager. All of that is configured correctly, but there is
    no boot manager.

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: Freespire2

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> The other thing I need to do is to restore my grub boot manager

    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-24113.html

    > Errk. I'm trying but I'm not getting that to work.

    My new plan is that I have an old 6.06 Ub partition on that drive that
    I'm going to replace with the 7.10 gutsy and try to straighten out the
    grub problem with the new install.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: Freespire2

    Mike Easter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > Errk. I'm trying but I'm not getting that to work. The freespire uses
    > the kde control center which has a volume manager which volume manager
    > says whether a partition should be bootable or not and if it should show
    > in the boot manager. All of that is configured correctly, but there is
    > no boot manager.

    Mike. Try the SuperGrub Live CD. It should pick up any bootable OS'es
    and offer to help accordingly.
    http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  6. Re: Freespire2

    Moog wrote:
    > Mike Easter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> <...>
    >> Errk. I'm trying but I'm not getting that to work. The freespire uses
    >> the kde control center which has a volume manager which volume manager
    >> says whether a partition should be bootable or not and if it should show
    >> in the boot manager. All of that is configured correctly, but there is
    >> no boot manager.
    >>

    > Mike. Try the SuperGrub Live CD. It should pick up any bootable OS'es
    > and offer to help accordingly.
    > http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org

    "linex.org"?

    New OS? ;-)

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  7. Re: Freespire2

    John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Mike Easter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> <...>
    >>> Errk. I'm trying but I'm not getting that to work. The freespire uses
    >>> the kde control center which has a volume manager which volume manager
    >>> says whether a partition should be bootable or not and if it should show
    >>> in the boot manager. All of that is configured correctly, but there is
    >>> no boot manager.
    >>>

    >> Mike. Try the SuperGrub Live CD. It should pick up any bootable OS'es
    >> and offer to help accordingly.
    >> http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org

    > "linex.org"?
    >
    > New OS? ;-)

    Heh. Well spotted John.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  8. Re: Freespire2

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > I need some more freespire help.
    >

    > The other thing I need to do is to restore my grub boot manager which
    > got wiped out by the linspire install. Either I didn't get any options
    > or I didn't recognize the option correctly. The other partitions are
    > still there, but there is no grub boot manager. Can I do that with my
    > Ub or Kub 7.04 live CD?

    The option is to not install grub to the mbr...You can then copy the
    grub stanza from the boot of the drive into your Ubuntu grub and all is
    well...I have Linspire on hda1 just to try out and it boots ok from Ubi...
    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager G3TPI

  9. Re: Freespire2

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:45:18 +0100, Ted wrote:

    >> The other thing I need to do is to restore my grub boot manager
    >> which got wiped out by the linspire install. Either I didn't
    >> get any options or I didn't recognize the option correctly. The
    >> other partitions are still there, but there is no grub boot
    >> manager. Can I do that with my Ub or Kub 7.04 live CD?
    >>

    > The option is to not install grub to the mbr...You can then copy
    > the grub stanza from the boot of the drive into your Ubuntu grub
    > and all is well..

    From the Live-CD you can run:

    sudo grub
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    # comment - this assumes the basic grub boot files were installed,
    which I think was the case
    # the response should be (hd0,0) or similar. Write it down.
    root (hd0,0) # replace (hd0,0) with the response above

    setup (hd0) # to install in the MBR # OR
    setup (hd0,0) # to install on the disk if you need to do that (which
    implies another boot manager).
    quit

    No promises but it worked for me in similar circs!

    --
    Chris Game

    "GoogleBar?? I could eat them all day !!" -- Grimly Fiendish

+ Reply to Thread