K3b Update Problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on K3b Update Problem - Ubuntu ; I just allowed an update to K3b to be applied and now the program will not start - I get the big color picture but, the program goes nowhere and the system must be rebooted to clear the screen. Has ...

  1. K3b Update Problem

    I just allowed an update to K3b to be applied and now the program will not
    start - I get the big color picture but, the program goes nowhere and the
    system must be rebooted to clear the screen. Has anyone seen a similar
    problem and/or any suggestions for correcting it? (I removed and
    reinstalled K3b with no change.)

    TIA Tom

  2. Re: K3b Update Problem

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:16:47 -0500, Thomas A. Clydesdale wrote:
    > I just allowed an update to K3b to be applied and now the program will not
    > start - I get the big color picture but, the program goes nowhere and the
    > system must be rebooted to clear the screen. Has anyone seen a similar
    > problem and/or any suggestions for correcting it? (I removed and
    > reinstalled K3b with no change.)

    click up a terminal,
    k3b

    and see if there are any messages to tell you what the problem might be.

  3. Re: K3b Update Problem

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:29:14 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:16:47 -0500, Thomas A. Clydesdale wrote:
    >> I just allowed an update to K3b to be applied and now the program will not
    >> start - I get the big color picture but, the program goes nowhere and the
    >> system must be rebooted to clear the screen. Has anyone seen a similar
    >> problem and/or any suggestions for correcting it? (I removed and
    >> reinstalled K3b with no change.)

    > click up a terminal,
    > k3b
    >
    > and see if there are any messages to tell you what the problem might be.

    Good suggestion, when I did it I got the following:
    DCOPClient: attach internal. Attach failed could not open network socket
    xerror Bad device, invalid or uninitialezed input device 169
    Major opcode 145
    Minor opcode 3
    Resource id: 0x0

    I have to confess that I just installed ver 7.04 on a dual boot system
    with WinXP which recognizes and utilizes two DVDRW drives (Nec 1300A &
    Sony Dw-D26A). While I was writing down the error code K3b came active
    but the Sony DVD is apparently not recognized and seems to be the error?
    (For some reason the drive is totally inactive, I can't even manually open
    it which is not the case with WinXP.)

    While I was preparing the above K3b suddenly came active and copied a cd
    for me - ???? Many thanks for the idea but I'm still very confused. Tom

  4. Re: K3b Update Problem

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:19:10 -0500, Tom Clydesdale wrote:

    > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:29:14 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:16:47 -0500, Thomas A. Clydesdale wrote:
    >>> I just allowed an update to K3b to be applied and now the program will
    >>> not start - I get the big color picture but, the program goes nowhere
    >>> and the system must be rebooted to clear the screen. Has anyone seen
    >>> a similar problem and/or any suggestions for correcting it? (I
    >>> removed and reinstalled K3b with no change.)

    >> click up a terminal,
    >> k3b
    >>
    >> and see if there are any messages to tell you what the problem might
    >> be.

    > Good suggestion, when I did it I got the following: DCOPClient: attach
    > internal. Attach failed could not open network socket xerror Bad device,
    > invalid or uninitialezed input device 169 Major opcode 145
    > Minor opcode 3
    > Resource id: 0x0
    >
    > I have to confess that I just installed ver 7.04 on a dual boot system
    > with WinXP which recognizes and utilizes two DVDRW drives (Nec 1300A &
    > Sony Dw-D26A). While I was writing down the error code K3b came active
    > but the Sony DVD is apparently not recognized and seems to be the error?
    > (For some reason the drive is totally inactive, I can't even manually
    > open it which is not the case with WinXP.)
    >
    > While I was preparing the above K3b suddenly came active and copied a cd
    > for me - ???? Many thanks for the idea but I'm still very confused.
    > Tom

    To confess myself i'm running gusty development not version 7.04 and find
    that i lose acess to either my dvd-rw or my dvd-rom and that sometimes
    that the programs will either freeze up 100% meaning a complete shut down
    & reboot of the system, when i lose access to the drives i cant manually
    open them either, also as i have gnome & kde on this machine (i use gnome
    the missus uses Kde) gnomebaker under gnome & k3b under kde wont work
    intill i reboot the machine & then the drives show up then, also
    virtualbox has the same problem , probley my problem is because i'm
    running a development os & not the final version yet , as i never had the
    problems under feisty 7.04

+ Reply to Thread