OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine - Ubuntu ; http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0105.JPG http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0106.JPG http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0107.JPG http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0108.JPG http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0109.JPG I guess I ride my bike a little too gently. =) -- Stephan 2003 Yamaha R6 君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは 君のこと忘れたときがないから...

  1. OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    Stephan Rose schreef:
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0105.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0106.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0107.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0108.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0109.JPG
    >
    > I guess I ride my bike a little too gently. =)

    Sorry to see, looks like a new head is needed...
    You shouldn't run them on Vista!

  3. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:59:41 -0500
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0105.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0106.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0107.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0108.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0109.JPG
    >
    > I guess I ride my bike a little too gently. =)

    Nos?

    Years ago my bike shop commended me on my holed piston. The gradual
    burning through showed that I was running it in correctly, shame I
    didn't fit the carb correctly, resultant air leak caused it to run too
    lean.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  4. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 08:24:34 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > Years ago my bike shop commended me on my holed piston. The gradual
    > burning through showed that I was running it in correctly, shame I
    > didn't fit the carb correctly, resultant air leak caused it to run too
    > lean.

    Whereas Ubuntu has _not_ever_once_ burned a hole in one of my disk
    drives.

    In fact, the only OS that ever killed one of my hard disks was... oh, you
    can all guess without me having to say its name.

    --
    signature withheld by popular request

  5. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:59:41 -0500 Stephan Rose hit the keyboard to
    produce the following:

    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0105.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0106.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0107.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0108.JPG
    >
    > http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0109.JPG
    >
    > I guess I ride my bike a little too gently. =)

    Take a look at this one :-)

    http://community.livejournal.com/wtf_inc/1748032.html

    In German I would call the builder of that Bike a "Daniel Duesentrieb".

    Sadly my own last bike was a Suzuki 380GT two-stroke 3 cylinder from mid
    197* !

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    I like *both* kind of music :-)

  6. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    D. Kollaric wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:59:41 -0500 Stephan Rose hit the keyboard to
    > produce the following:
    >
    >> http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0105.JPG
    >>
    >> http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0106.JPG
    >>
    >> http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0107.JPG
    >>
    >> http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0108.JPG
    >>
    >> http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0109.JPG
    >>
    >> I guess I ride my bike a little too gently. =)
    >>

    > Take a look at this one :-)
    >

    > http://community.livejournal.com/wtf_inc/1748032.html
    >
    > In German I would call the builder of that Bike a "Daniel Duesentrieb".
    >
    > Sadly my own last bike was a Suzuki 380GT two-stroke 3 cylinder from mid
    > 197* !
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    The front-side is very "enlightning" ... ;-)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  7. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    D. Kollaric wrote:

    > Sadly my own last bike was a Suzuki 380GT two-stroke 3 cylinder from mid
    > 197* !

    The smallest of the 'Kettles' - nice.

    --
    Steveski

  8. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 00:47:58 +0100
    steveski wrote:

    > D. Kollaric wrote:
    >

    > > Sadly my own last bike was a Suzuki 380GT two-stroke 3 cylinder from mid
    > > 197* !

    > The smallest of the 'Kettles' - nice.
    >
    > --
    > Steveski

    Shurely shome mishtake? http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/831115/

    I used to have T500, I remember the kick starter on the left, it used
    to kick back and make me knee myself in the chin.

    Quite like http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/405732/ except for a GT500
    front end grafted on (so it had a disc brake)

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  9. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 00:47:58 +0100
    > steveski wrote:
    >
    >> D. Kollaric wrote:
    >>

    >> > Sadly my own last bike was a Suzuki 380GT two-stroke 3 cylinder from
    >> > mid 197* !

    >> The smallest of the 'Kettles' - nice.

    > Shurely shome mishtake? http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/831115/

    O. the embarrassment - I die. I'd forgotton it was an airhead :-)

    > I used to have T500, I remember the kick starter on the left, it used
    > to kick back and make me knee myself in the chin.

    I learned to ride on a T250 (Hustler?) but was envious of my mate's T500.

    --
    Steveski

  10. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    steveski wrote:
    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> steveski wrote:

    >>> The smallest of the 'Kettles' - nice.

    >> Shurely shome mishtake? http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/831115/

    > O. the embarrassment - I die. I'd forgotton it was an airhead :-)
    >
    >> I used to have T500, I remember the kick starter on the left, it
    >> used to kick back and make me knee myself in the chin.

    > I learned to ride on a T250 (Hustler?) but was envious of my
    > mate's T500.

    My last was a 1961 BMW R50. It was accompanied by a 200 cc Honda,
    about '64 I believe, for my wife, with electric start. Those
    lasted a while, and got set aside, what with kids and whatnot. Now
    you can't find a 350 or 500 cc highway machine of any type.

    Those were preceded by a hiatus, and before that a 1949 350cc
    Douglas. Also opposed twin, and a nice machine. It got about 100
    miles per Imperial gallon.

  11. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:44:52 -0400
    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Those were preceded by a hiatus, and before that a 1949 350cc
    > Douglas. Also opposed twin, and a nice machine. It got about 100
    > miles per Imperial gallon.

    Heh, I can get up to 45MPG on my Ducati, 25 if I hoon it, still miles
    better than my car (and louder) :-)

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  12. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:49:01 +0100
    steveski wrote:

    > >> The smallest of the 'Kettles' - nice.

    > > Shurely shome mishtake? http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/831115/

    > O. the embarrassment - I die. I'd forgotton it was an airhead :-)

    I had to check to make sure myself, I did remember the patented "ram air
    system" of doing bugger all though :-)

    > > I used to have T500, I remember the kick starter on the left, it used
    > > to kick back and make me knee myself in the chin.

    > I learned to ride on a T250 (Hustler?) but was envious of my mate's T500.

    I learnt on a GP100, I was envious of anything >100cc, except MZs.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  13. Re: OT: What not to do to a motorcycle engine

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:26:31 +0200 xubunt6 hit the keyboard to produce the
    following:

    > D. Kollaric wrote:
    >> On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:59:41 -0500 Stephan Rose hit the keyboard to
    >> produce the following:
    >>
    >>> http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0105.JPG
    >>>
    >>> http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0106.JPG
    >>>
    >>> http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0107.JPG
    >>>
    >>> http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0108.JPG
    >>>
    >>> http://www.somrek.net/DSC_0109.JPG
    >>>
    >>> I guess I ride my bike a little too gently. =)
    >>>

    >> Take a look at this one :-)
    >>

    >> http://community.livejournal.com/wtf_inc/1748032.html
    >>
    >> In German I would call the builder of that Bike a "Daniel Duesentrieb".
    >>
    >> Sadly my own last bike was a Suzuki 380GT two-stroke 3 cylinder from mid
    >> 197* !
    >>

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    > The front-side is very "enlightning" ... ;-)

    Yeah :-) Who the hell needs a front suspension.

    Reminds me on the time I fitted my old "Puch 250 TF
    with the front end of the Suzuki GT380 after the middle cylinder this bike
    had a hole....

    Puch 250 TF:
    http://www.hubler.de/seiten2/Puch250TF/puch250tf.htm
    (Sorry, site is in German but the picture is one of the best I've seen
    Again sadly not my own bike, but mine was the same make and model)

    I drove that bike (with the new front) for a few months, until this bike
    too bit the dust.... That was the end of my motorcycling days....

    Actually I found the first bike (build by the Chinese) when I was searching
    the net about this dude:

    William "Wild Bill" Gelbke and his world-longest motorbike (back in those
    days certainly) the "Roadog...

    http://www.factoryfat.com/roadog.html

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --