noise going from wav to mp3 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on noise going from wav to mp3 - Ubuntu ; greets! I have a discussion I downloaded which I want to convert to mp3. the wav file is ok. it was producing off of a realplayer file using mplayer. however when I convert using lame to mp3, there are these ...

  1. noise going from wav to mp3

    greets!

    I have a discussion I downloaded which I want to convert to mp3.

    the wav file is ok. it was producing off of a realplayer file using
    mplayer.

    however when I convert using lame to mp3, there are these noises or rather
    distortions which are frequent and loud, as if the voices were momentarily
    hollowed out. it is not usable as a mp3.

    I have tried various switches for controlling noise but no go, I don't
    know the magic incantation.

    in kubuntu 7.04 I tried to run Audacity but it crashes immediately after
    starting the export facility. I haven't tried it yet under OpenSuse 10.2
    on my other laptop.

    I did try upgrading lame; it's at v. 3.97.

    Felmon

  2. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:56:21 -0400, felmon davis wrote:

    > greets!
    >
    > I have a discussion I downloaded which I want to convert to mp3.
    >
    > the wav file is ok. it was producing off of a realplayer file using
    > mplayer.
    >
    > however when I convert using lame to mp3, there are these noises or rather
    > distortions which are frequent and loud, as if the voices were momentarily
    > hollowed out. it is not usable as a mp3.
    >
    > I have tried various switches for controlling noise but no go, I don't
    > know the magic incantation.
    >
    > in kubuntu 7.04 I tried to run Audacity but it crashes immediately after
    > starting the export facility. I haven't tried it yet under OpenSuse 10.2
    > on my other laptop.
    >
    > I did try upgrading lame; it's at v. 3.97.
    >
    > Felmon

    Have you tried compressing a regular wav? I mean one that is not a wav
    expanded from another compressed format. If you expand something, then
    compress it again, you will end up with more distortion than the original
    compressed sound.

    sf

  3. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    On 2007-10-02, felmon davis wrote:
    > greets!
    >
    > I have a discussion I downloaded which I want to convert to mp3.
    >
    > the wav file is ok. it was producing off of a realplayer file using
    > mplayer.
    >
    > however when I convert using lame to mp3, there are these noises or rather
    > distortions which are frequent and loud, as if the voices were momentarily
    > hollowed out. it is not usable as a mp3.

    Sounds a little odd. Have you tried with quite conservative syntax
    such as:

    $ lame file.wav --preset standard -o new_file.mp3

    This has always worked for me. Just for the experiment try the same
    wav file with ogg:

    $ oggenc file.wav -q 6 -o new_file.ogg

    And see if there is the same problem. I suspect that if both encoders
    fail you have either a problem with the original file (wav) or a
    problem with sound playback on your computer. Call me Sherlock :-)

    Andrew

    --
    'Name him not!' said Gandalf, and for a moment
    it seemed that a look of pain passed over his face,

  4. Re: noise going from wav to mp3 - xmms problem?

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:15:02 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > Have you tried compressing a regular wav? I mean one that is not a wav
    > expanded from another compressed format. If you expand something, then
    > compress it again, you will end up with more distortion than the original
    > compressed sound.

    I don't understand.

    the wav was produced by streaming a realplayer file (.ram) into mplayer.
    so .ram files are compressed? so doing it over to mp3 will cause
    distortion?

    well, lookie here! I posted the file to my website with the idea I could
    'show' you what I meant but when I played from there, no distortion! did
    some more testing and the short of it is, the distortion was only
    happening when I played it through xmms!

    now that is strange. the settings for xmms seem alright. the distortion
    occurs on another OpenSuse machine - got two running here - but only in
    xmms.

    Felmon

  5. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:57:11 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > And see if there is the same problem. I suspect that if both encoders
    > fail you have either a problem with the original file (wav) or a
    > problem with sound playback on your computer. Call me Sherlock :-)
    >
    > Andrew

    ok, 'Sherlock'.

    I just found that the distortion only occurs when I play the mp3 using
    xmms!

    I have tested on two machines, a Kubuntu and an OpenSuse desktop. (the
    other OpenSuse is a laptop; haven't tested it there.)

    it works fine elsewhere including on my Sansa SanDisk.

    I am puzzled by the problem with xmms. it hadn't occurred to me, 'sound
    playback on my computer'. indeed.

    Felmon

  6. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    On 2007-10-03, felmon davis wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:57:11 +0000, andrew wrote:
    >
    >> And see if there is the same problem. I suspect that if both encoders
    >> fail you have either a problem with the original file (wav) or a
    >> problem with sound playback on your computer. Call me Sherlock :-)

    [...]

    > I just found that the distortion only occurs when I play the mp3 using
    > xmms!

    Glad you have found the culprit! I thought that xmms was no longer
    developed and had been removed from most distros? Gone from slackware
    and ?Gentoo although remains in ubuntu.

    Andrew

    --
    'Name him not!' said Gandalf, and for a moment
    it seemed that a look of pain passed over his face,
    and he sat silent, looking old as death.

  7. Re: noise going from wav to mp3 - xmms problem?

    felmon davis writes:

    >On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:15:02 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    >> Have you tried compressing a regular wav? I mean one that is not a wav
    >> expanded from another compressed format. If you expand something, then
    >> compress it again, you will end up with more distortion than the original
    >> compressed sound.

    >I don't understand.

    >the wav was produced by streaming a realplayer file (.ram) into mplayer.
    >so .ram files are compressed? so doing it over to mp3 will cause
    >distortion?

    Yes, definitely. Otehrwise the streaming would not work. A CD produces
    over 150KB/sec. No telepheon modems and even few broadband can sustaing
    that for any length of time. They compress the stream by factors like 10.
    They are then expanded to play through your speakers, but that expansion
    cannot restore the lost information. It may be that mp3 and ram are
    orthogonal each destroying the information the other lets through.
    However as was suggested, get a CD, copy on of the tracks to your hard
    drive and then MP3 that. If you still hear noise, it is not the above
    explanation.

    >well, lookie here! I posted the file to my website with the idea I could
    >'show' you what I meant but when I played from there, no distortion! did
    >some more testing and the short of it is, the distortion was only
    >happening when I played it through xmms!

    >now that is strange. the settings for xmms seem alright. the distortion
    >occurs on another OpenSuse machine - got two running here - but only in
    >xmms.

    >Felmon

  8. Re: noise going from wav to mp3 - xmms problem?

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:34:45 -0400, felmon davis wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:15:02 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >

    >> Have you tried compressing a regular wav? I mean one that is not a wav
    >> expanded from another compressed format. If you expand something, then
    >> compress it again, you will end up with more distortion than the
    >> original compressed sound.

    > I don't understand.
    >
    > the wav was produced by streaming a realplayer file (.ram) into mplayer.
    > so .ram files are compressed? so doing it over to mp3 will cause
    > distortion?

    Real player is distorted. And mp3 is distorted. If you do both, then
    there is more distortion. Maybe not enough to notice. Maybe enough.

    > well, lookie here! I posted the file to my website with the idea I could
    > 'show' you what I meant but when I played from there, no distortion! did
    > some more testing and the short of it is, the distortion was only
    > happening when I played it through xmms!
    >
    > now that is strange. the settings for xmms seem alright. the distortion
    > occurs on another OpenSuse machine - got two running here - but only in
    > xmms.
    >
    > Felmon

    Well in that case.....In your options-preferences Audio-i/o tab. There
    are different plugins for mp3 playback. Try a different mp3 plugin. If
    you search synaptic for xmms, you will find some mp3 plugins you may have
    not installed. That may help.
    stonerfish

  9. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    In newsan.2007.10.04.05.29.54.938387@union.edu,
    felmon davis wrote:

    > wish I knew why audacity was crashing but that's a different issue.

    strace -O filename audacity $args

    Then examine the tail end of filename to see why it failed.

  10. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    In news:5mjcfpFdnpuvU1@mid.individual.net,
    Gretch wrote:

    >> wish I knew why audacity was crashing but that's a different issue.

    > strace -O filename audacity $args
    >
    > Then examine the tail end of filename to see why it failed.

    Sorry, that's
    strace -o filename ...

    I've been using wget a lot lately and got confused.

  11. Re: noise going from wav to mp3 - xmms problem?

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:25:25 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > Well in that case.....In your options-preferences Audio-i/o tab. There
    > are different plugins for mp3 playback. Try a different mp3 plugin. If
    > you search synaptic for xmms, you will find some mp3 plugins you may have
    > not installed. That may help.
    > stonerfish

    good advice but so far little joy. I actually didn't see anything that
    looked to pertinent to mp3's. guess that's a bad sign.

    I am googling around now.

    Felmon

  12. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 22:36:53 -0700, Gretch wrote:

    >> wish I knew why audacity was crashing but that's a different issue.

    > strace -O filename audacity $args
    >
    > Then examine the tail end of filename to see why it failed.

    seems uninformative: core dumped. (I corrected the '-0' error.)

    it's a large file; I put it at in case
    you were curious.

    so this is audacity 1.2.6 under Kubuntu 7.04.

    I have a vague recall of having to do some tricks to install it but memory
    is hazy.

    Felmon

  13. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    In newsan.2007.10.04.06.53.55.577704@union.edu,
    felmon davis wrote:

    >> strace -o filename audacity $args
    >>
    >> Then examine the tail end of filename to see why it failed.

    > seems uninformative: core dumped. (I corrected the '-0' error.)
    >
    > it's a large file; I put it at in
    > case you were curious.

    Are you using the 64-bit or the 32-bit version?

  14. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:38:19 -0700, Gretch wrote:

    > In newsan.2007.10.04.06.53.55.577704@union.edu,
    > felmon davis wrote:
    >
    >>> strace -o filename audacity $args
    >>>
    >>> Then examine the tail end of filename to see why it failed.

    >> seems uninformative: core dumped. (I corrected the '-0' error.)
    >>
    >> it's a large file; I put it at in
    >> case you were curious.

    > Are you using the 64-bit or the 32-bit version?

    32-bit.

    I certainly don't expect you to go to the trouble of looking at that file
    but if you do and anything springs to eye, by all means let me know.

    I can live with the problem, though things like this irk me. I can still
    do conversions to mp3 just not with Audacity (under Kubuntu).

    Felmon

  15. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    In newsan.2007.10.05.04.16.31.45421@union.edu,
    felmon davis wrote:

    >>> seems uninformative: core dumped. (I corrected the '-0' error.)
    >>>
    >>> it's a large file; I put it at in
    >>> case you were curious.

    >> Are you using the 64-bit or the 32-bit version?

    > 32-bit.
    >
    > I certainly don't expect you to go to the trouble of looking at that
    > file but if you do and anything springs to eye, by all means let me
    > know.
    >
    > I can live with the problem, though things like this irk me. I can
    > still do conversions to mp3 just not with Audacity (under Kubuntu).

    You might wish to compile from source
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/late...c-1.2.6.tar.gz
    and see if things improve ... the "SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault)" indicates
    something's not right with build you have installed.

  16. Re: noise going from wav to mp3

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:51:42 -0700, Gretch wrote:

    >>> Are you using the 64-bit or the 32-bit version?

    >> 32-bit.
    >>
    >> I certainly don't expect you to go to the trouble of looking at that
    >> file but if you do and anything springs to eye, by all means let me
    >> know.
    >>
    >> I can live with the problem, though things like this irk me. I can
    >> still do conversions to mp3 just not with Audacity (under Kubuntu).

    > You might wish to compile from source
    > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/late...c-1.2.6.tar.gz
    > and see if things improve ... the "SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault)" indicates
    > something's not right with build you have installed.

    thanks, will do. let's see what happens.

    Felmon

+ Reply to Thread