Install/partitions - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Install/partitions - Ubuntu ; I'm about to try to install Kubuntu 7.4 and I'm not sure I fully understand how the partitioning will work when I begin. I have an HP system and, thus, there is one physical hard drive which they (meaning HP) ...

  1. Install/partitions

    I'm about to try to install Kubuntu 7.4 and I'm not sure I fully understand
    how the partitioning will work when I begin. I have an HP system and, thus,
    there is one physical hard drive which they (meaning HP) setup as a C drive
    with all of the OS(Windows XP) and software. The D drive is nothing more
    than about 7 gigs which contains the HP installation. Obviously, it's used
    should one need to start over and recover their entire system.

    So, as I made system dvd's of the restoration and know they work so I don't
    need the D drive, I'd like to use it for the Linux installation. My
    question is, how will I recognize it when the Linux installation prompts me
    for the partitioning information? The entire drive is in the 250 gig
    vicinity so I'd like to make what's now called C and D roughly equal with C
    being theWindows drive and D being the Linux.

    I have the book, Suse Linux Bible 10.0 but it doesn't go into partitioning
    drives which already are partitioned...at least I don't see it.

    Any chance one of you will clue me in??...I'm guessing the mount points are
    key but, having no idea where the C and D mount points are, I'm not sure
    I'll be able to recognize how to procede if an option for mounting is a
    part of the initial partitioning goes.

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: Install/partitions

    TS Mathews wrote:
    > I'm about to try to install Kubuntu 7.4 and I'm not sure I fully understand
    > how the partitioning will work when I begin. I have an HP system and, thus,
    > there is one physical hard drive which they (meaning HP) setup as a C drive
    > with all of the OS(Windows XP) and software. The D drive is nothing more
    > than about 7 gigs which contains the HP installation. Obviously, it's used
    > should one need to start over and recover their entire system.
    >
    > So, as I made system dvd's of the restoration and know they work so I don't
    > need the D drive, I'd like to use it for the Linux installation. My
    > question is, how will I recognize it when the Linux installation prompts me
    > for the partitioning information? The entire drive is in the 250 gig
    > vicinity so I'd like to make what's now called C and D roughly equal with C
    > being theWindows drive and D being the Linux.
    >
    > I have the book, Suse Linux Bible 10.0 but it doesn't go into partitioning
    > drives which already are partitioned...at least I don't see it.
    >
    > Any chance one of you will clue me in??...I'm guessing the mount points are
    > key but, having no idea where the C and D mount points are, I'm not sure
    > I'll be able to recognize how to procede if an option for mounting is a
    > part of the initial partitioning goes.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    Hello Tim.

    I think you're a little mistaken. Linux dows not use dirve names like C
    or D, it uses the physical position of the partitions on the harddisk,
    f.e. /dev/hda1 for C and /dev/hda2 for D. hda is in that case the first
    harddisk, and the number stands for the partition. You should start up
    the LiveCD and have a look at the partition manager. I'm not sure what
    it's called in KDE, but it should something with parted in the name,
    qtparted, Kparted or something. This will show you your harddisk and all
    partitions on it, it may help you to understand what I'm trying to say.

    By the way, you'll have to create a partition for Linux, f.e. with the
    ext3 filesystem on it. I suggest the you simply format D for it, if you
    don't need it anymore.

    But have a look at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ I'm sure they have
    somewhere a guide for the installation, or at least a link to it.

    Good luck,
    Rob

  3. Re: Install/partitions

    "Robert Zenz" wrote in message
    news:82f34$47024280$3eb292e5$8251@news.chello.at.. .
    > TS Mathews wrote:
    >> I'm about to try to install Kubuntu 7.4 and I'm not sure I fully
    >> understand how the partitioning will work when I begin. I have an HP
    >> system and, thus, there is one physical hard drive which they (meaning
    >> HP) setup as a C drive with all of the OS(Windows XP) and software. The D
    >> drive is nothing more than about 7 gigs which contains the HP
    >> installation. Obviously, it's used should one need to start over and
    >> recover their entire system.
    >>
    >> So, as I made system dvd's of the restoration and know they work so I
    >> don't need the D drive, I'd like to use it for the Linux installation.
    >> My question is, how will I recognize it when the Linux installation
    >> prompts me for the partitioning information? The entire drive is in the
    >> 250 gig vicinity so I'd like to make what's now called C and D roughly
    >> equal with C being theWindows drive and D being the Linux.
    >>
    >> I have the book, Suse Linux Bible 10.0 but it doesn't go into
    >> partitioning drives which already are partitioned...at least I don't see
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Any chance one of you will clue me in??...I'm guessing the mount points
    >> are key but, having no idea where the C and D mount points are, I'm not
    >> sure I'll be able to recognize how to procede if an option for mounting
    >> is a part of the initial partitioning goes.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tim
    >>

    > Hello Tim.
    >
    > I think you're a little mistaken. Linux dows not use dirve names like C or
    > D, it uses the physical position of the partitions on the harddisk, f.e.
    > /dev/hda1 for C and /dev/hda2 for D. hda is in that case the first
    > harddisk, and the number stands for the partition. You should start up the
    > LiveCD and have a look at the partition manager. I'm not sure what it's
    > called in KDE, but it should something with parted in the name, qtparted,
    > Kparted or something. This will show you your harddisk and all partitions
    > on it, it may help you to understand what I'm trying to say.
    >
    > By the way, you'll have to create a partition for Linux, f.e. with the
    > ext3 filesystem on it. I suggest the you simply format D for it, if you
    > don't need it anymore.
    >
    > But have a look at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ I'm sure they have
    > somewhere a guide for the installation, or at least a link to it.

    I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I know that under Linux my hard
    drives won't be C and D and that's my problem. I'm not sure of the order of
    it...by that I mean, I don't know if D--despite having the second
    letter--actually starts first on the drive and, thus, my concern that when I
    see hda etc, I won't recognize for certain which drive I'm working with.

    I tried once before to install Linux and either didn't look closely enough
    or just made a bad guess and ended up with the installation having put some
    of the partitions on my external hard drive. Clearly, I don't want that to
    happen again and and am disconnecting the external before the installation.
    Next up is just to make sure I'll recognize what I know as C and D when they
    show up as hda etc.

  4. Re: Install/partitions

    "TS Mathews" wrote in message

> [...]

    >> But have a look at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ I'm sure they have
    >> somewhere a guide for the installation, or at least a link to it.
    >>

    > I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I know that under Linux my
    > hard drives won't be C and D and that's my problem. I'm not sure of the
    > order of it...by that I mean, I don't know if D--despite having the second
    > letter--actually starts first on the drive and, thus, my concern that when
    > I see hda etc, I won't recognize for certain which drive I'm working with.
    >
    > I tried once before to install Linux and either didn't look closely enough
    > or just made a bad guess and ended up with the installation having put
    > some of the partitions on my external hard drive. Clearly, I don't want
    > that to happen again and and am disconnecting the external before the
    > installation. Next up is just to make sure I'll recognize what I know as C

    Back for more...I went to the forum site you listed but ran into the same
    problem. It goes into a bit of detail on how Linux defines the drives BUT
    then starts with the examples under GRUB. As I have no idea what or how
    Kubuntu is going to install itself, I don't know whether the first drive,
    for example, is going to be hda1 or hda0 and, as I said, because I don't
    want to make a mistake, I hoped someone here could clue me in as to how to
    more completely figure out which drive is which.

  5. Re: Install/partitions

    "TS Mathews" writes:

    > "Robert Zenz" wrote in message
    > news:82f34$47024280$3eb292e5$8251@news.chello.at.. .
    >> TS Mathews wrote:
    >>> I'm about to try to install Kubuntu 7.4 and I'm not sure I fully
    >>> understand how the partitioning will work when I begin. I have an HP
    >>> system and, thus, there is one physical hard drive which they (meaning
    >>> HP) setup as a C drive with all of the OS(Windows XP) and software. The D
    >>> drive is nothing more than about 7 gigs which contains the HP
    >>> installation. Obviously, it's used should one need to start over and
    >>> recover their entire system.
    >>>
    >>> So, as I made system dvd's of the restoration and know they work so I
    >>> don't need the D drive, I'd like to use it for the Linux installation.
    >>> My question is, how will I recognize it when the Linux installation
    >>> prompts me for the partitioning information? The entire drive is in the
    >>> 250 gig vicinity so I'd like to make what's now called C and D roughly
    >>> equal with C being theWindows drive and D being the Linux.
    >>>
    >>> I have the book, Suse Linux Bible 10.0 but it doesn't go into
    >>> partitioning drives which already are partitioned...at least I don't see
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> Any chance one of you will clue me in??...I'm guessing the mount points
    >>> are key but, having no idea where the C and D mount points are, I'm not
    >>> sure I'll be able to recognize how to procede if an option for mounting
    >>> is a part of the initial partitioning goes.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Tim
    >>>

    >> Hello Tim.
    >>
    >> I think you're a little mistaken. Linux dows not use dirve names like C or
    >> D, it uses the physical position of the partitions on the harddisk, f.e.
    >> /dev/hda1 for C and /dev/hda2 for D. hda is in that case the first
    >> harddisk, and the number stands for the partition. You should start up the
    >> LiveCD and have a look at the partition manager. I'm not sure what it's
    >> called in KDE, but it should something with parted in the name, qtparted,
    >> Kparted or something. This will show you your harddisk and all partitions
    >> on it, it may help you to understand what I'm trying to say.
    >>
    >> By the way, you'll have to create a partition for Linux, f.e. with the
    >> ext3 filesystem on it. I suggest the you simply format D for it, if you
    >> don't need it anymore.
    >>
    >> But have a look at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ I'm sure they have
    >> somewhere a guide for the installation, or at least a link to it.
    >>

    > I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I know that under Linux my hard
    > drives won't be C and D and that's my problem. I'm not sure of the order of
    > it...by that I mean, I don't know if D--despite having the second
    > letter--actually starts first on the drive and, thus, my concern that when I
    > see hda etc, I won't recognize for certain which drive I'm working
    > with.

    Look now using gparted from a gparted disk. Surely you will know from the sizes? These
    partitions will not change their names unless you delete/recreate.

    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

    > I tried once before to install Linux and either didn't look closely enough
    > or just made a bad guess and ended up with the installation having put some
    > of the partitions on my external hard drive. Clearly, I don't want that to
    > happen again and and am disconnecting the external before the installation.
    > Next up is just to make sure I'll recognize what I know as C and D when they
    > show up as hda etc.

    Use the size as the determining factor using gparted or during the
    install. if your "D" is backed up, why not just delete everything on it
    so it is completely empty, that will be visible too I think.

    --
    Hodie natus est radici frater.

    [ Unto the root is born a brother ]

  6. Re: Install/partitions

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > "TS Mathews" writes:
    >
    >> "Robert Zenz" wrote in message
    >> news:82f34$47024280$3eb292e5$8251@news.chello.at.. .

    >>> Hello Tim.
    >>>
    >>> I think you're a little mistaken. Linux dows not use dirve names like C
    >>> or
    >>> D, it uses the physical position of the partitions on the harddisk, f.e.
    >>> /dev/hda1 for C and /dev/hda2 for D. hda is in that case the first
    >>> harddisk, and the number stands for the partition. You should start up
    >>> the
    >>> LiveCD and have a look at the partition manager. I'm not sure what it's
    >>> called in KDE, but it should something with parted in the name,
    >>> qtparted,
    >>> Kparted or something. This will show you your harddisk and all
    >>> partitions
    >>> on it, it may help you to understand what I'm trying to say.
    >>>
    >>> By the way, you'll have to create a partition for Linux, f.e. with the
    >>> ext3 filesystem on it. I suggest the you simply format D for it, if you
    >>> don't need it anymore.
    >>>
    >>> But have a look at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ I'm sure they have
    >>> somewhere a guide for the installation, or at least a link to it.
    >>>

    >> I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I know that under Linux my
    >> hard
    >> drives won't be C and D and that's my problem. I'm not sure of the order
    >> of
    >> it...by that I mean, I don't know if D--despite having the second
    >> letter--actually starts first on the drive and, thus, my concern that
    >> when I
    >> see hda etc, I won't recognize for certain which drive I'm working
    >> with.

    > Look now using gparted from a gparted disk. Surely you will know from the
    > sizes? These
    > partitions will not change their names unless you delete/recreate.
    >
    > http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    >

    >> I tried once before to install Linux and either didn't look closely
    >> enough
    >> or just made a bad guess and ended up with the installation having put
    >> some
    >> of the partitions on my external hard drive. Clearly, I don't want that
    >> happen again and and am disconnecting the external before the
    >> installation.
    >> Next up is just to make sure I'll recognize what I know as C and D when
    >> they
    >> show up as hda etc.
    >>

    > Use the size as the determining factor using gparted or during the
    > install. if your "D" is backed up, why not just delete everything on it
    > so it is completely empty, that will be visible too I think.

    This is what I tried when I messed things up. Having discovered from that
    earlier post that I could launch the live version from my install DVD, I did
    and used it's partition utility to see the drives and now I know why the
    last attempt failed. I did as you suggest and just removed the D drive
    and, as I was basically guessing, discovered that despite the way Windows
    named them, the D is the first partition and, thus, had the boot loader on
    it so, when I wanted to boot Windows, it wouldn't work.

    So, I'll just go ahead and do the install with recommended settings rather
    than try to "fix" the D drive first.

  7. Re: Install/partitions

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:07:12 +0200, Robert Zenz wrote:

    > I think you're a little mistaken. Linux dows not use dirve names like C
    > or D, it uses the physical position of the partitions on the harddisk,
    > f.e. /dev/hda1 for C and /dev/hda2 for D. hda is in that case the first
    > harddisk, and the number stands for the partition.

    Actually, that's not quite right. The physical position of the partitions
    does not bear a simple relationship to the way they are numbered in the
    partition table, which has more to do with the order in which they are
    created.

    If you don't believe me, try it with a spare disk and cfdisk or gparted,
    just create the different partitions alternately at the end and the
    beginning of the free space.

  8. Re: Install/partitions

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:30:22 +0000, TS Mathews wrote:

    > As I have no idea what or how
    > Kubuntu is going to install itself, I don't know whether the first drive,
    > for example, is going to be hda1 or hda0 and, as I said, because I don't
    > want to make a mistake, I hoped someone here could clue me in as to how to
    > more completely figure out which drive is which.

    First let's get the terminology straight. You are talking about
    partitions on a disk (MS has made the term "drive" confusing - it used to
    mean "drive" as in "hard drive" but they use it to refer to a partition
    - so let's avoid it entirely).

    If you boot the Kubuntu CD and go through
    the install process, it will get to a stage where it starts up the
    partitioner. If you select guided partitioning it will tell you the sizes
    of the partitions it's talking about, and you can select by choosing the
    one of the right size. Grub will be installed automatically, don't worry
    about that at all.

  9. Re: Install/partitions

    TS Mathews wrote:
    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >> "TS Mathews" writes:
    >>
    >>> "Robert Zenz" wrote in message
    >>> news:82f34$47024280$3eb292e5$8251@news.chello.at.. .

    >>> I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I know that under Linux my
    >>> hard
    >>> drives won't be C and D and that's my problem. I'm not sure of the order
    >>> of
    >>> it...by that I mean, I don't know if D--despite having the second
    >>> letter--actually starts first on the drive and, thus, my concern that
    >>> when I
    >>> see hda etc, I won't recognize for certain which drive I'm working
    >>> with.

    >> Look now using gparted from a gparted disk. Surely you will know from the
    >> sizes? These
    >> partitions will not change their names unless you delete/recreate.
    >>
    >> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    >>
    >>> I tried once before to install Linux and either didn't look closely
    >>> enough
    >>> or just made a bad guess and ended up with the installation having put
    >>> some
    >>> of the partitions on my external hard drive. Clearly, I don't want that
    >>> happen again and and am disconnecting the external before the
    >>> installation.
    >>> Next up is just to make sure I'll recognize what I know as C and D when
    >>> they
    >>> show up as hda etc.
    >>>

    >> Use the size as the determining factor using gparted or during the
    >> install. if your "D" is backed up, why not just delete everything on it
    >> so it is completely empty, that will be visible too I think.
    >>

    > This is what I tried when I messed things up. Having discovered from that
    > earlier post that I could launch the live version from my install DVD, I did
    > and used it's partition utility to see the drives and now I know why the
    > last attempt failed. I did as you suggest and just removed the D drive
    > and, as I was basically guessing, discovered that despite the way Windows
    > named them, the D is the first partition and, thus, had the boot loader on
    > it so, when I wanted to boot Windows, it wouldn't work.

    I am a little confused here. It has been quite a while since I did a
    dual boot machine, but my wife's xp box at home still boots from GRUB
    even though all the other disks and partitions containing other OSs are
    gone. Removing the windows boot loader from the "D" drive shouldn't have
    stopped you booting into windows unless you told GRUB to ignore the
    windows install on the "C" drive during setup.

    In fact, if you try to leave the MBR intact you will have to create a
    boot floppy to supersede the windows installed boot loader on the MBR in
    order to get into your linux distro at boot. I think.

  10. Re: Install/partitions

    "TS Mathews" wrote in message
    > I'm about to try to install Kubuntu 7.4 and I'm not sure I fully
    > understand how the partitioning will work when I begin. I have an HP
    > system and, thus, there is one physical hard drive which they (meaning HP)
    > setup as a C drive with all of the OS(Windows XP) and software. The D
    > drive is nothing more than about 7 gigs which contains the HP
    > installation. Obviously, it's used should one need to start over and
    > recover their entire system.
    >
    > So, as I made system dvd's of the restoration and know they work so I
    > don't need the D drive, I'd like to use it for the Linux installation. My
    > question is, how will I recognize it when the Linux installation prompts
    > me for the partitioning information? The entire drive is in the 250 gig
    > vicinity so I'd like to make what's now called C and D roughly equal with
    > C being theWindows drive and D being the Linux.
    >
    > I have the book, Suse Linux Bible 10.0 but it doesn't go into partitioning
    > drives which already are partitioned...at least I don't see it.
    >
    > Any chance one of you will clue me in??...I'm guessing the mount points
    > are key but, having no idea where the C and D mount points are, I'm not
    > sure I'll be able to recognize how to procede if an option for mounting
    > is a part of the initial partitioning goes.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim
    >
    >If I understand you correctly you only have one (1) hard disk which is
    >partitioned off as C: (Windows) and D: (System Recovery). The D: drive is
    >there to let you create the recovery disks which HP is too cheap to
    >provide. (ie. you said it is made.)

    I suggest you start up Windows (XP?) and go to "Settings | Control Panel |
    Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Storage | Disk Management
    (Local) " and you will see any and all assigned partitions that WinXP can
    identify (any linux ones will contain odd data).

    If yours is as I mentioned above you should see Disk 0 with two partitions
    the second and smaller one being the Recovery (D partition. If you have
    made your recovery disks then I would suggest going to "Action | All Tasks |
    Delete Logical Drive" and remove it. The partition will then become
    available to the linux installation.

    Good luck, Tom

  11. Re: Install/partitions

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:04:02 +0000, TS Mathews wrote:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >> "TS Mathews" writes:
    >>
    >>> "Robert Zenz" wrote in message
    >>> news:82f34$47024280$3eb292e5$8251@news.chello.at.. .

    >>> I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I know that under Linux my
    >>> hard
    >>> drives won't be C and D and that's my problem. I'm not sure of the order
    >>> of
    >>> it...by that I mean, I don't know if D--despite having the second
    >>> letter--actually starts first on the drive and, thus, my concern that
    >>> when I
    >>> see hda etc, I won't recognize for certain which drive I'm working
    >>> with.

    >> Look now using gparted from a gparted disk. Surely you will know from the
    >> sizes? These
    >> partitions will not change their names unless you delete/recreate.
    >>
    >> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    >>

    >>> I tried once before to install Linux and either didn't look closely
    >>> enough
    >>> or just made a bad guess and ended up with the installation having put
    >>> some
    >>> of the partitions on my external hard drive. Clearly, I don't want that
    >>> happen again and and am disconnecting the external before the
    >>> installation.
    >>> Next up is just to make sure I'll recognize what I know as C and D when
    >>> they
    >>> show up as hda etc.
    >>>

    >> Use the size as the determining factor using gparted or during the
    >> install. if your "D" is backed up, why not just delete everything on it
    >> so it is completely empty, that will be visible too I think.
    >>

    > This is what I tried when I messed things up. Having discovered from that
    > earlier post that I could launch the live version from my install DVD, I did
    > and used it's partition utility to see the drives and now I know why the
    > last attempt failed. I did as you suggest and just removed the D drive
    > and, as I was basically guessing, discovered that despite the way Windows
    > named them, the D is the first partition and, thus, had the boot loader on
    > it so, when I wanted to boot Windows, it wouldn't work.
    >
    > So, I'll just go ahead and do the install with recommended settings rather
    > than try to "fix" the D drive first.

    I have set up several machines as dual boot with WinXP and some variant of
    Linux. I'm not absolutely sure, but i *think* that XP uses a few MB of
    disk space outside of the XP partition. When I tried to put Linux on the
    partition immediately following XP, XP would no longer boot. Also, when
    formatting a new HDD under XP, it leaves about 8MB free at the end of the
    XP partition. Usually, I just leave one empty cylinder between the end of
    XP and the start of my Linux partitions.

    --
    MarkA
    (My OTHER sig line is clever)

  12. Re: Install/partitions

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:13:14 GMT, "TS Mathews"
    wrote:

    >I'm about to try to install Kubuntu 7.4 and I'm not sure I fully understand
    >how the partitioning will work when I begin. I have an HP system and, thus,
    >there is one physical hard drive which they (meaning HP) setup as a C drive
    >with all of the OS(Windows XP) and software. The D drive is nothing more
    >than about 7 gigs which contains the HP installation. Obviously, it's used
    >should one need to start over and recover their entire system.
    >
    >So, as I made system dvd's of the restoration and know they work so I don't
    >need the D drive, I'd like to use it for the Linux installation. My
    >question is, how will I recognize it when the Linux installation prompts me
    >for the partitioning information? The entire drive is in the 250 gig
    >vicinity so I'd like to make what's now called C and D roughly equal with C
    >being theWindows drive and D being the Linux.
    >
    >I have the book, Suse Linux Bible 10.0 but it doesn't go into partitioning
    >drives which already are partitioned...at least I don't see it.
    >
    >Any chance one of you will clue me in??...I'm guessing the mount points are
    >key but, having no idea where the C and D mount points are, I'm not sure
    >I'll be able to recognize how to procede if an option for mounting is a
    >part of the initial partitioning goes.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Tim

    Here's a video to show you what to expect and how to do it.

    http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...93842637434537

+ Reply to Thread