Installing pdfs onto Palm handheld - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Installing pdfs onto Palm handheld - Ubuntu ; I am running Ubuntu 7.04 x86_64, and connecting to a Palm Zire 72. I have the Gpilot software installed and configured, and I can sync my Calendar, Contacts, etc, etc. I am trying to install a *.pdf file from my ...

  1. Installing pdfs onto Palm handheld

    I am running Ubuntu 7.04 x86_64, and connecting to a Palm Zire 72. I have
    the Gpilot software installed and configured, and I can sync my Calendar,
    Contacts, etc, etc. I am trying to install a *.pdf file from my computer
    onto the handheld. When I use the gnome-pilot Settings dialog, under
    'Conduits', the option 'File' is Enabled, but there is no indication how I
    get the file to the handheld. When I run gpilot-install-file from the
    CLI, it tells me to press the Sync button on the Palm. When I do, the
    sync ends immediately, with no file transfer. If I try the '--later'
    option, on subsequent sync, the file is not transferred. Is there
    something I am missing?

    --
    MarkA
    (My OTHER sig line is clever)

  2. Re: Installing pdfs onto Palm handheld

    On 2007-10-01, MarkA wrote:
    > I am running Ubuntu 7.04 x86_64, and connecting to a Palm Zire 72. I have
    > the Gpilot software installed and configured, and I can sync my Calendar,
    > Contacts, etc, etc. I am trying to install a *.pdf file from my computer
    > onto the handheld. When I use the gnome-pilot Settings dialog, under
    > 'Conduits', the option 'File' is Enabled, but there is no indication how I
    > get the file to the handheld. When I run gpilot-install-file from the
    > CLI, it tells me to press the Sync button on the Palm. When I do, the
    > sync ends immediately, with no file transfer. If I try the '--later'
    > option, on subsequent sync, the file is not transferred. Is there
    > something I am missing?

    I have a similar problem with my T|X device. Everything works except for
    transferring/installing files. I ended up using the Palm Desktop software
    on a windows machine to install new programs and was able to store files
    etc. on an SD card and transfer them from the card to the PDA by inserting
    the card in the slot on the PDA. I'm not familiar with the Zire 72 so
    not sure if you have an expansion slot. If not, you may be stuck doing
    it with windows, unless someone else has a better idea.

    --
    PSK - RLU 452647 http://improve-usenet.org
    Killing GG on openSuse, Ubuntu, Vista and XP

  3. Re: Installing pdfs onto Palm handheld

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 01:28:24 +0000, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    > On 2007-10-01, MarkA wrote:
    >> I am running Ubuntu 7.04 x86_64, and connecting to a Palm Zire 72. I have
    >> the Gpilot software installed and configured, and I can sync my Calendar,
    >> Contacts, etc, etc. I am trying to install a *.pdf file from my computer
    >> onto the handheld. When I use the gnome-pilot Settings dialog, under
    >> 'Conduits', the option 'File' is Enabled, but there is no indication how I
    >> get the file to the handheld. When I run gpilot-install-file from the
    >> CLI, it tells me to press the Sync button on the Palm. When I do, the
    >> sync ends immediately, with no file transfer. If I try the '--later'
    >> option, on subsequent sync, the file is not transferred. Is there
    >> something I am missing?
    >>

    > I have a similar problem with my T|X device. Everything works except for
    > transferring/installing files. I ended up using the Palm Desktop software
    > on a windows machine to install new programs and was able to store files
    > etc. on an SD card and transfer them from the card to the PDA by inserting
    > the card in the slot on the PDA. I'm not familiar with the Zire 72 so
    > not sure if you have an expansion slot. If not, you may be stuck doing
    > it with windows, unless someone else has a better idea.

    The Z72 has an expansion slot, and I tried copying the pdf file onto an
    SD card, but I have no way to read the card from the pdf reader on the
    handheld. I see that the Adobe Reader for PalmOS includes a conduit for
    installing pdfs, but it only runs under Windows. I suppose I will have to
    give that a try.

    --
    MarkA
    (My OTHER sig line is clever)

  4. Re: Installing pdfs onto Palm handheld

    MarkA a écrit :
    > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 01:28:24 +0000, Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-10-01, MarkA wrote:
    >>> I am running Ubuntu 7.04 x86_64, and connecting to a Palm Zire 72. I have
    >>> the Gpilot software installed and configured, and I can sync my Calendar,
    >>> Contacts, etc, etc. I am trying to install a *.pdf file from my computer
    >>> onto the handheld. When I use the gnome-pilot Settings dialog, under
    >>> 'Conduits', the option 'File' is Enabled, but there is no indication how I
    >>> get the file to the handheld. When I run gpilot-install-file from the
    >>> CLI, it tells me to press the Sync button on the Palm. When I do, the
    >>> sync ends immediately, with no file transfer. If I try the '--later'
    >>> option, on subsequent sync, the file is not transferred. Is there
    >>> something I am missing?
    >>>

    >> I have a similar problem with my T|X device. Everything works except for
    >> transferring/installing files. I ended up using the Palm Desktop software
    >> on a windows machine to install new programs and was able to store files
    >> etc. on an SD card and transfer them from the card to the PDA by inserting
    >> the card in the slot on the PDA. I'm not familiar with the Zire 72 so
    >> not sure if you have an expansion slot. If not, you may be stuck doing
    >> it with windows, unless someone else has a better idea.

    > The Z72 has an expansion slot, and I tried copying the pdf file onto an
    > SD card, but I have no way to read the card from the pdf reader on the
    > handheld. I see that the Adobe Reader for PalmOS includes a conduit for
    > installing pdfs, but it only runs under Windows. I suppose I will have to
    > give that a try.

    The way I understood it is that "Adobe Reader for PalmOS" does not
    install the pdf in the Palm but transform the pdf to make it readable by
    the palm. The palmOS is not able natively to read any pdf. There is then
    two solutions:
    - use "Adobe Reader for PalmOS" (I don't know if it is available on Linux)
    - use an extension on your palm like "DataViz Document to Go" to
    directly read the pdf on the palm.
    ericbe

  5. Re: Installing pdfs onto Palm handheld

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:20:08 +0200, EricBE wrote:

    > MarkA a écrit :

    >>> I have a similar problem with my T|X device. Everything works except for
    >>> transferring/installing files. I ended up using the Palm Desktop software
    >>> on a windows machine to install new programs and was able to store files
    >>> etc. on an SD card and transfer them from the card to the PDA by inserting
    >>> the card in the slot on the PDA. I'm not familiar with the Zire 72 so
    >>> not sure if you have an expansion slot. If not, you may be stuck doing
    >>> it with windows, unless someone else has a better idea.

    >> The Z72 has an expansion slot, and I tried copying the pdf file onto an
    >> SD card, but I have no way to read the card from the pdf reader on the
    >> handheld. I see that the Adobe Reader for PalmOS includes a conduit for
    >> installing pdfs, but it only runs under Windows. I suppose I will have to
    >> give that a try.
    >>

    > The way I understood it is that "Adobe Reader for PalmOS" does not
    > install the pdf in the Palm but transform the pdf to make it readable by
    > the palm. The palmOS is not able natively to read any pdf. There is then
    > two solutions:
    > - use "Adobe Reader for PalmOS" (I don't know if it is available on Linux)
    > - use an extension on your palm like "DataViz Document to Go" to
    > directly read the pdf on the palm.
    > ericbe

    I have since discovered that the Palm won't load files it doesn't like,
    and PDF's are apparently on the list. I took the PDF, ran it thru
    'pdftotext', then ran the resulting text file thru 'txt2pdb', to translate
    it into the Palm Reader format. It synced without a hitch, and I am now
    reading it using the Palm Reader.

    --
    MarkA
    (My OTHER sig line is clever)

  6. Re: Installing pdfs onto Palm handheld

    MarkA has written on 10/4/2007 7:04 PM:

    > I have since discovered that the Palm won't load files it doesn't like,
    > and PDF's are apparently on the list. I took the PDF, ran it thru
    > 'pdftotext', then ran the resulting text file thru 'txt2pdb', to translate
    > it into the Palm Reader format. It synced without a hitch, and I am now
    > reading it using the Palm Reader.

    I have DocsToGo on my TREO and PDF files are no problem.

+ Reply to Thread