Install? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Install? - Ubuntu ; Thanks in advance. I have a system with two physical hard drives. I made room on the second drive with about 50gigs of unformatted space. When installing, it got the part where it gave choices of which partition it should ...

  1. Install?

    Thanks in advance.

    I have a system with two physical hard drives. I made room on the second
    drive with about 50gigs of unformatted space. When installing, it got the
    part where it gave choices of which partition it should be loaded. It did
    not offer the unformatted area. One of the choices was manual. Is this the
    way to go? Will it then allow me to specify the unformatted space?

    Again Thanks,

    Dave H.

  2. Re: Install?

    > I have a system with two physical hard drives. I made room on the second
    > drive with about 50gigs of unformatted space. When installing, it got the
    > part where it gave choices of which partition it should be loaded. It did
    > not offer the unformatted area. One of the choices was manual. Is this the
    > way to go? Will it then allow me to specify the unformatted space?

    If you use Debian, X/K/Ubuntu and i think distros like Mandriva, Fedora,
    etc., you'll be allowed to specify the unformatted space in manual.

  3. Re: Install?

    On 2007-10-01, DH wrote:
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > I have a system with two physical hard drives. I made room on the second
    > drive with about 50gigs of unformatted space. When installing, it got the
    > part where it gave choices of which partition it should be loaded. It did
    > not offer the unformatted area. One of the choices was manual. Is this the
    > way to go? Will it then allow me to specify the unformatted space?
    >
    > Again Thanks,
    >
    > Dave H.

    Yes, that should work. The way I did it was to decide on a partition plan first,
    and then use GParted to create them and use the custom partition on Ubuntu to
    do the rest.

    --
    PSK - RLU 452647 http://improve-usenet.org
    Killing GG on openSuse, Ubuntu, Vista and XP

  4. Re: Install?

    Pseudo Silk Kimono wrote:

    > On 2007-10-01, DH wrote:
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> I have a system with two physical hard drives. I made room on the second
    >> drive with about 50gigs of unformatted space. When installing, it got
    >> the
    >> part where it gave choices of which partition it should be loaded. It
    >> did
    >> not offer the unformatted area. One of the choices was manual. Is this
    >> the
    >> way to go? Will it then allow me to specify the unformatted space?
    >>
    >> Again Thanks,
    >>
    >> Dave H.
    >>

    > Yes, that should work. The way I did it was to decide on a partition plan
    > first, and then use GParted to create them and use the custom partition on
    > Ubuntu to do the rest.

    But you also have the choice to create new partitions to your storage
    medium.

    A partition plan should indeed be done first, since there are several
    possibilities to think about.

    Dirk
    --
    Dirk Weber
    Arft, Germany & Veenendaal, The Netherlands

  5. Re: Install?

    I've got Ubuntu and openSuse running on one PC and that's fine as long
    as my ssh never fails.

    --
    PSK - RLU 452647 http://improve-usenet.org
    Killing GG on Ubuntu, openSUSE, Vista and XP with slrn and Xnews

+ Reply to Thread