[Freespire] can't access tty - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on [Freespire] can't access tty - Ubuntu ; What does this experience mean? I was trying to boot Freespire 2.0.3 as the live CD and the live boot failed and I got this message prompt: BusyBox v1.1.3 (? I can't remember what was in here) Built-in shell (ash) ...

  1. [Freespire] can't access tty

    What does this experience mean?

    I was trying to boot Freespire 2.0.3 as the live CD and the live boot
    failed and I got this message prompt:

    BusyBox v1.1.3 (? I can't remember what was in here) Built-in shell
    (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.

    /bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    (initramfs)

    So, I researched the problem and tried some things at the initramfs
    prompt which didn't work and then I read in the freespire forum that
    someone^1 solved it by using a modified boot message which is accessed
    with F6 to include:

    all_generic_ide

    .... in the boot prompt before 'quiet splash'. As a result, freespire
    was able to boot from the liveCD.

    What did the busybox message mean? What kind of prompt is that
    initramfs? And what did 'all_generic_ide' do that fixed it?

    ^1 http://forum.freespire.org/showthread.php?t=9934

    < I don't really like participating in webforums compared to newsgroups
    and I like this group and freespire is based on Ub now, so here I am :-)

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: [Freespire] can't access tty

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > What does this experience mean?
    >
    > I was trying to boot Freespire 2.0.3 as the live CD and the live boot
    > failed and I got this message prompt:
    >

    > BusyBox v1.1.3 (? I can't remember what was in here) Built-in shell
    > (ash)
    > Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.
    >
    > /bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    > (initramfs)

    Ahh, honesty forces me to tell you that I have not used Freespire
    (clearly, I use Ubuntu), but I have seen this message before. It can
    happen if you have both SATA and IDE drives in the same box. The live CD
    can get a tad confused. Is this what you have?

    > So, I researched the problem and tried some things at the initramfs
    > prompt which didn't work and then I read in the freespire forum that
    > someone^1 solved it by using a modified boot message which is accessed
    > with F6 to include:
    >
    > all_generic_ide
    >
    > ... in the boot prompt before 'quiet splash'. As a result, freespire
    > was able to boot from the liveCD.
    >
    > What did the busybox message mean? What kind of prompt is that
    > initramfs? And what did 'all_generic_ide' do that fixed it?
    >

    > ^1 http://forum.freespire.org/showthread.php?t=9934
    >

    > < I don't really like participating in webforums compared to newsgroups
    > and I like this group and freespire is based on Ub now, so here I am :-)

  3. Re: [Freespire] can't access tty

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:42:37 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > What does this experience mean?

    > I was trying to boot Freespire 2.0.3 as the live CD and the live boot
    > failed and I got this message prompt:

    > What did the busybox message mean? What kind of prompt is that
    > initramfs? And what did 'all_generic_ide' do that fixed it?

    Do any of these help?

    BusyBox:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox

    initramfs error:

    all_generic_ide:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=562103

    --
    Little Girl

    Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - the fear of long words.

  4. Re: [Freespire] can't access tty

    Little Girl wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> What does this experience mean?

    >> I was trying to boot Freespire 2.0.3 as the live CD and the live boot
    >> failed and I got this message prompt:

    >> What did the busybox message mean? What kind of prompt is that
    >> initramfs? And what did 'all_generic_ide' do that fixed it?

    > Do any of these help?
    >
    > BusyBox:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox

    Ah, so. I see how that works. It is like a little OS in charge,
    running a script for the liveCD boot.

    > initramfs error:

    There are lots and lots of different kinds of broken installs that have
    some kind of initramfs prompt.

    > all_generic_ide:
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=562103

    I'm still not making sense out of the fact that the all_generic_ide boot
    prompt helped me out. I'm wondering if that was the 'wrong' (illogical)
    way to make it work :-/

    For some people who were helped by it, such as those with a SATA
    controller, that ide prompt makes sense -- but not me.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: [Freespire] can't access tty

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:54:10 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > BusyBox:
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox

    > Ah, so. I see how that works. It is like a little OS in charge,
    > running a script for the liveCD boot.

    I wondered about it, too. It's reminiscent of PlaySkool in a way, isn't
    it? (:

    > > all_generic_ide:
    > > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=562103

    > I'm still not making sense out of the fact that the all_generic_ide
    > boot prompt helped me out. I'm wondering if that was the
    > 'wrong' (illogical) way to make it work :-/

    What's that they say about gift horses?

    > For some people who were helped by it, such as those with a SATA
    > controller, that ide prompt makes sense -- but not me.

    Gremlins.....

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.