XP desktop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on XP desktop - Ubuntu ; Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine? I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux. Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier. If not, is there any ...

  1. XP desktop

    Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?

    I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.

    If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

  2. Re: XP desktop

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:36:52 +0000, William R. Cousert wrote:

    > Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >
    > I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    > Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.
    >
    > If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    I'm sure there is bound to be an XP-ish theme out there for Gnome. (try
    www.gnome-look.org)

    Otherwise, check out Kubuntu. It uses KDE which is much more Windows-Like
    in appearance. Of course, if you have Ubuntu already installed, you can
    always do an apt-get and install KDE in addition to Gnome, then just
    choose KDE as your desktop environment...

    --
    Windows Vista... Just another pane in the glass.

  3. Re: XP desktop

    William R. Cousert schreef:
    > Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >
    > I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    > Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.
    >
    > If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    Yes, install KDE.

    I'm not trying to be funny but KDE is by default already very similar to
    a Microsoft desktop and it's extremely configurable.

    On the other hand, although I have little recent experience with Gnome I
    cannot see a great problem running it with previously only XP experience.
    Make an account for her with a couple of strategic icons on the desktop,
    remove all what is only sidelining from the applications menu and you're
    set.

    Although (because?) my GF computer experience is at work in a Windows
    only environment she is quite scared to touch anything unknown but she
    has really embraced her new Kubuntu machine as it Just Works.
    No worries about downloading the wrong stuff, nasty mails or visiting a
    suspicious site.

  4. Re: XP desktop

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:36:52 +0000, William R. Cousert wrote:

    > Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >
    > I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    > Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.
    >
    > If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    1) KDE looks very much like xp.

    2) if that's not good enough try xpde.

  5. Re: XP desktop

    William R. Cousert wrote:
    > Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >
    > I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    > Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.
    >
    > If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    Wow second question I can answer today. I'm doing good.

    This may be slightly OT in an Ubuntu NG. When I was running FC2
    (anything newer sucks), I found a window manager called xpde. It was
    still very much beta code. It installed through an rpm. It had the look
    and feel of XP. Since it was beta code it crashed often enough to be
    mistaken for Windows. ;-)

    Rather than transitioning through weaning her off M$ code, why not just
    see if there is a window manager which would do the job better? There
    ought to be more of them by now. Some of them should even run in Ubuntu.

    Anecdotally, a friend switched a 97 year old lady (she should be around
    100 by now) from XP to FC2 by installing appropriately labelled icons on
    the desktop. She doesn't do much experimentation so it was good enough
    for her. He updates her software every six months and she's never
    complained. In fact she is very happy because the new setup works much
    faster and has never had a problem. Maybe you can do the same for your mom.

    Later
    Mike

  6. Re: XP desktop

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:36:52 GMT
    "William R. Cousert" wrote:

    > Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >
    > I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    > Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.
    >
    > If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    There's themes to copy the Pix^h^h^h Lunar interface, the XP style menu
    you might want to consider installing LinuxMint, which is based on
    Ubuntu but has a menu similar to XP. It's also a rather nice distro,
    I'm considering it over Ubuntu.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  7. Re: XP desktop

    William R. Cousert wrote:
    > Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >
    > I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    > Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.
    >
    > If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    William, I put LinuxMint (smart Ubuntu derivative) on my wife's computer
    and she loves it, wants nothing else. I put the Icons for Firefox and
    Thunderbird on the desktop and 'stretched them' (right click I think). I
    diminished the other icons for drives etc. I don't have automatic
    updates, I do that myself as occasion demands. I also set automatic
    login. Give it a try.
    --
    Regards,
    Cushie

  8. Re: XP desktop

    William R. Cousert wrote:
    > Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >
    > I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    > Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.
    >
    > If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    I switched my 82-year-old dad from W98 to PCLinuxOS.

    He didn't miss a beat.

    --
    Mark Warner
    lose .inhibitions when replying

  9. Re: XP desktop

    William R. Cousert a écrit :
    > Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >
    > I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    > Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.
    >
    > If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    I switched my Mum to LFS with the Ratpoison window manager.

    She deserves it.

    )

    Niki

  10. Re: XP desktop

    William R. Cousert a écrit :
    > Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >
    > I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    > Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.
    >
    > If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    No, but XFCE! I've installed Slackware with XFCE and the XP theme on
    some of our client machines. People love it. Great with the tango icon
    theme.

    cheers,

    Niki

  11. Re: XP desktop

    William R. Cousert wrote:
    > Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >
    > I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu Linux.
    > Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little easier.
    >
    > If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    As a suggestion you could try installing VMware.
    It will install XP right into the linux OS.
    Best of both worlds.
    Don.
    Keep smiling.

  12. Re: XP desktop

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > William R. Cousert schreef:
    >> Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >>
    >> I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu
    >> Linux. Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little
    >> easier.
    >>
    >> If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?
    >>

    > Yes, install KDE.
    >
    > I'm not trying to be funny but KDE is by default already very similar to
    > a Microsoft desktop and it's extremely configurable.
    >
    > On the other hand, although I have little recent experience with Gnome I
    > cannot see a great problem running it with previously only XP experience.
    > Make an account for her with a couple of strategic icons on the desktop,
    > remove all what is only sidelining from the applications menu and you're
    > set.
    >
    > Although (because?) my GF computer experience is at work in a Windows
    > only environment she is quite scared to touch anything unknown but she
    > has really embraced her new Kubuntu machine as it Just Works.
    > No worries about downloading the wrong stuff, nasty mails or visiting a
    > suspicious site.

    Not quit3 like XP, but very simle: xubuntu ...
    compaired with XP: you've never seen such a clean "start button" ... ;-)
    Might help too ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  13. Re: XP desktop

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > William R. Cousert wrote:
    >> Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >>
    >> I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu
    >> Linux. Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little
    >> easier.
    >>
    >> If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?

    > I switched my 82-year-old dad from W98 to PCLinuxOS.
    >
    > He didn't miss a beat.

    My dad, 77 years young, had Win98 2nd edition
    We replaced it with winxp.
    Went fine: it has a start button with icons too ...
    My uncle got, after win98, an Apple.
    They love it.
    I got Linux Xubuntu, replacing winxp.
    I am quite happy with it
    Told my dad: guess what: "can i get linux too?" he asked.
    I am considering it. It has some kind of start button too, remember ... ;-)

    My advise: get him a "clean", easy to overview, install of whatever,
    linux, ms, ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  14. Re: XP desktop

    xubunt6 schreef:
    > Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >> William R. Cousert schreef:
    >>> Does the XP desktop program (shell?) run under Wine?
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to convince my 66 year old mother to switch to Ubuntu
    >>> Linux. Having the old Windows desktop would make the switch a little
    >>> easier.
    >>>
    >>> If not, is there any way to make gnome look and work like XP?
    >>>

    >> Yes, install KDE.
    >>
    >> I'm not trying to be funny but KDE is by default already very similar
    >> to a Microsoft desktop and it's extremely configurable.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, although I have little recent experience with Gnome
    >> I cannot see a great problem running it with previously only XP
    >> experience.
    >> Make an account for her with a couple of strategic icons on the
    >> desktop, remove all what is only sidelining from the applications menu
    >> and you're set.
    >>
    >> Although (because?) my GF computer experience is at work in a Windows
    >> only environment she is quite scared to touch anything unknown but she
    >> has really embraced her new Kubuntu machine as it Just Works.
    >> No worries about downloading the wrong stuff, nasty mails or visiting
    >> a suspicious site.

    > Not quit3 like XP, but very simle: xubuntu ...
    > compaired with XP: you've never seen such a clean "start button" ... ;-)
    > Might help too ...

    No not quite
    I run Xubuntu on an old Compaq PIII-500mHz with 382MB ram, it works
    really well.
    But because of the austere desktop it does take some getting used to.
    Certain things like adding or editing menu items are plain impossible.
    As I mainly use this machine as a back up for my mail it doesn't matter.

  15. Re: XP desktop

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > xubunt6 schreef:
    >> Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    >>> Yes, install KDE.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not trying to be funny but KDE is by default already very similar
    >>> to a Microsoft desktop and it's extremely configurable.
    >>>
    >>> On the other hand, although I have little recent experience with
    >>> Gnome I cannot see a great problem running it with previously only XP
    >>> experience.
    >>> Make an account for her with a couple of strategic icons on the
    >>> desktop, remove all what is only sidelining from the applications
    >>> menu and you're set.
    >>>
    >>> Although (because?) my GF computer experience is at work in a Windows
    >>> only environment she is quite scared to touch anything unknown but
    >>> she has really embraced her new Kubuntu machine as it Just Works.
    >>> No worries about downloading the wrong stuff, nasty mails or visiting
    >>> a suspicious site.

    >> Not quit3 like XP, but very simle: xubuntu ...
    >> compaired with XP: you've never seen such a clean "start button" ... ;-)
    >> Might help too ...
    >>

    > No not quite
    > I run Xubuntu on an old Compaq PIII-500mHz with 382MB ram, it works
    > really well.
    > But because of the austere desktop it does take some getting used to.
    > Certain things like adding or editing menu items are plain impossible.
    > As I mainly use this machine as a back up for my mail it doesn't matter.

    "Certain things like adding or editing menu items are plain impossible"

    No it ain't (right click: "applications (or else on the bar): add new
    item"), but my dad will not need it: i will do that for him.
    Thats the "nice" thing about xubuntu: all the icons you and i might
    miss, my dad will not miss: he has no clue what to do with it and does
    not want to know it either ...
    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."