rt73 wifi and gutsy beta - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on rt73 wifi and gutsy beta - Ubuntu ; Did a fresh install of Gutsy beta and all the latest updates but when I try to set-up wifi using an Asus USB adaptor which I believe uses an rt73 chip set it freezes the whole system. By "set-up" I ...

  1. rt73 wifi and gutsy beta

    Did a fresh install of Gutsy beta and all the latest updates but when I
    try to set-up wifi using an Asus USB adaptor which I believe uses an rt73
    chip set it freezes the whole system.

    By "set-up" I am hoping that the nm-applet is all I now need???

    Is it me? Have I not done some necessary magic? Or is it I am using a
    beta and hopefully come October time this will work.
    Any help gratefully received.
    Dave

  2. Re: rt73 wifi and gutsy beta

    david wrote:
    > Did a fresh install of Gutsy beta and all the latest updates but when I
    > try to set-up wifi using an Asus USB adaptor which I believe uses an rt73
    > chip set it freezes the whole system.
    >
    > By "set-up" I am hoping that the nm-applet is all I now need???
    >
    > Is it me? Have I not done some necessary magic? Or is it I am using a
    > beta and hopefully come October time this will work.
    > Any help gratefully received.
    > Dave

    Hallo.

    I used a wireless USB adaptor which had the RT73 chipset. I figured out
    that you need the original WIndows XP driver files and ndiswrapper to
    get this chipset working.
    With the native drivers I experienced system freezes too, but with
    ndiswrapper everything worked fine.But I only tried it with ndiswrapper
    1.23, so, I don't know if it works alright with later versions.

    Rob

    Btw: I uploaded the files for everybody who could need it:
    http://garbagecan.ga.funpic.de/downloads/rt73.tar.gz

  3. Re: rt73 wifi and gutsy beta

    "Robert Zenz" wrote in message
    news:e68eb$47015237$3eb292e5$18291@news.chello.at. ..
    > david wrote:
    >> Did a fresh install of Gutsy beta and all the latest updates but when I
    >> try to set-up wifi using an Asus USB adaptor which I believe uses an rt73
    >> chip set it freezes the whole system. By "set-up" I am hoping that the
    >> nm-applet is all I now need???
    >>
    >> Is it me? Have I not done some necessary magic? Or is it I am using a
    >> beta and hopefully come October time this will work.
    >> Any help gratefully received.
    >> Dave

    > Hallo.
    >
    > I used a wireless USB adaptor which had the RT73 chipset. I figured out
    > that you need the original WIndows XP driver files and ndiswrapper to get
    > this chipset working.
    > With the native drivers I experienced system freezes too, but with
    > ndiswrapper everything worked fine.But I only tried it with ndiswrapper
    > 1.23, so, I don't know if it works alright with later versions.
    >
    > Rob
    >
    > Btw: I uploaded the files for everybody who could need it:
    > http://garbagecan.ga.funpic.de/downloads/rt73.tar.gz

    Hi Rob,
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you all know the
    results.
    Thanks again.
    Dave

  4. Re: rt73 wifi and gutsy beta

    "Robert Zenz" wrote in message
    news:e68eb$47015237$3eb292e5$18291@news.chello.at. ..
    > david wrote:
    >> Did a fresh install of Gutsy beta and all the latest updates but when I
    >> try to set-up wifi using an Asus USB adaptor which I believe uses an rt73
    >> chip set it freezes the whole system. By "set-up" I am hoping that the
    >> nm-applet is all I now need???
    >>
    >> Is it me? Have I not done some necessary magic? Or is it I am using a
    >> beta and hopefully come October time this will work.
    >> Any help gratefully received.
    >> Dave

    > Hallo.
    >
    > I used a wireless USB adaptor which had the RT73 chipset. I figured out
    > that you need the original WIndows XP driver files and ndiswrapper to get
    > this chipset working.
    > With the native drivers I experienced system freezes too, but with
    > ndiswrapper everything worked fine.But I only tried it with ndiswrapper
    > 1.23, so, I don't know if it works alright with later versions.
    >
    > Rob
    >
    > Btw: I uploaded the files for everybody who could need it:
    > http://garbagecan.ga.funpic.de/downloads/rt73.tar.gz

    Hi Robert,
    I did promise a follow up.
    Unfortunately the drivers in your file weren't recognised as being right for
    my USB wifi stick. So I used the ones on the usb's CD (RT73.inf) which were
    recognised under ndiswrapper....and got it to work for a while but it was
    unstable and still subject to freezing the whole system.
    So back to the drawing board.
    Dave

  5. Re: rt73 wifi and gutsy beta

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:48:34 +0100, Dave wrote:

    > Unfortunately the drivers in your file weren't recognised as being right for
    > my USB wifi stick. So I used the ones on the usb's CD (RT73.inf) which were
    > recognised under ndiswrapper....and got it to work for a while but it was
    > unstable and still subject to freezing the whole system.

    Having thought about it, I wonder if the native driver is interfering with
    your ndiswrapper driver (it happens) so you need to try this:

    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

    and as the line

    blacklist rt73

    to the end of the file.

    Reboot and see how things go from there.

  6. Re: rt73 wifi and gutsy beta

    "Mark South" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:48:34 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately the drivers in your file weren't recognised as being right
    >> for
    >> my USB wifi stick. So I used the ones on the usb's CD (RT73.inf) which
    >> were
    >> recognised under ndiswrapper....and got it to work for a while but it was
    >> unstable and still subject to freezing the whole system.

    > Having thought about it, I wonder if the native driver is interfering with
    > your ndiswrapper driver (it happens) so you need to try this:
    >
    > sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >
    > and as the line
    >
    > blacklist rt73
    >
    > to the end of the file.
    >
    > Reboot and see how things go from there.

    Same old story. Freezes the system when I install the USB stick.
    We tried. I have a Broadcom based PCI adapter which I will give a go with.
    Not what I wanted but otherwise it's a real deal killer.
    Cheers
    Dave

  7. Re: rt73 wifi and gutsy beta

    Dave wroite:
    > "Mark South" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:48:34 +0100, Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unfortunately the drivers in your file weren't recognised as being right
    >>> for
    >>> my USB wifi stick. So I used the ones on the usb's CD (RT73.inf) which
    >>> were
    >>> recognised under ndiswrapper....and got it to work for a while but it was
    >>> unstable and still subject to freezing the whole system.

    >> Having thought about it, I wonder if the native driver is interfering with
    >> your ndiswrapper driver (it happens) so you need to try this:
    >>
    >> sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >>
    >> and as the line
    >>
    >> blacklist rt73
    >>
    >> to the end of the file.
    >>
    >> Reboot and see how things go from there.

    > Same old story. Freezes the system when I install the USB stick.
    > We tried. I have a Broadcom based PCI adapter which I will give a go with.
    > Not what I wanted but otherwise it's a real deal killer.
    > Cheers
    > Dave

    Sorry that I couldn't help you. As I said, the files worked for me.

    By the way, you said you _believed_ that it would be a RT73 chipset,
    maybe that's the way, it isn't...could that be possible or are you sure
    about the chipset?
    (I know that such things can happen, I mistook in the first try my RT73
    for an RT25xx...)

    Good luck!
    Rob

  8. Re: rt73 wifi and gutsy beta

    "Robert Zenz" wrote in message
    news:76b61$470769a0$3eb292e5$6471@news.chello.at.. .
    > Dave wroite:
    >> "Mark South" wrote in message

    >>> Having thought about it, I wonder if the native driver is interfering
    >>> with
    >>> your ndiswrapper driver (it happens) so you need to try this:
    >>>
    >>> sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >>>
    >>> and as the line
    >>>
    >>> blacklist rt73
    >>>
    >>> to the end of the file.
    >>>
    >>> Reboot and see how things go from there.

    >> Same old story. Freezes the system when I install the USB stick.
    >> We tried. I have a Broadcom based PCI adapter which I will give a go
    >> with. Not what I wanted but otherwise it's a real deal killer.
    >> Cheers
    >> Dave

    > Sorry that I couldn't help you. As I said, the files worked for me.
    >
    > By the way, you said you _believed_ that it would be a RT73 chipset, maybe
    > that's the way, it isn't...could that be possible or are you sure about
    > the chipset?
    > (I know that such things can happen, I mistook in the first try my RT73
    > for an RT25xx...)
    >
    > Good luck!
    > Rob

    Hi Rob,
    I do appreciate your help and also that from several others here.

    Yes I am as sure as I can be now that it uses the RT73 drivers. It works
    without a problem in win xp using them, the web says these are the correct
    drivers and ndiswrapper liked them as well. I did try some RT25xx off the
    same CD which came with the USB stick but no joy.I have tried blacklisting
    drivers but to no avail.

    Also tried yesterday with a PCI card using Broadcom and still no luck so
    after 2 days of struggling I am giving up for a while.

    I am running Gutsy Beta . Are you? Perhaps the issue lies there?

    Thanks anyway Rob

    Best regards
    Dave

  9. Re: rt73 wifi and gutsy beta

    Dave wrote:

    > Hi Rob,
    > I do appreciate your help and also that from several others here.
    >
    > Yes I am as sure as I can be now that it uses the RT73 drivers. It works
    > without a problem in win xp using them, the web says these are the correct
    > drivers and ndiswrapper liked them as well. I did try some RT25xx off the
    > same CD which came with the USB stick but no joy.I have tried blacklisting
    > drivers but to no avail.
    >
    > Also tried yesterday with a PCI card using Broadcom and still no luck so
    > after 2 days of struggling I am giving up for a while.
    >
    > I am running Gutsy Beta . Are you? Perhaps the issue lies there?
    >
    > Thanks anyway Rob
    >
    > Best regards
    > Dave

    Hello again.

    Well, I'm running out of ideas...sry
    And no, I'm at feisty at the moment and the last time I used this
    drivers it was breezy. But for ndiswrapper it should not matter.

    I have only a few ideas left. If you have time (and nerves ), you
    could look if the original driver is really not loaded with
    lsmod | grep rt
    Check back if the ndiswrapper driver is loaded
    lsmod | grep Dr71
    Also, the output of dmesg and (if you come that far) of sudo ifup
    [DEVICE] would be interesting to me...maybe there's a clue...

    No haste needed for an answer...I'll be around for questions.
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread