gFTP problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on gFTP problem - Ubuntu ; Hi All, I have this rather irritating problem where I upload files (Movies) to a friends PC and the file size exceeds the original. I use Ubuntu (Now on Gutsy) and he has Debian bastardised from knoppix. We connect to ...

  1. gFTP problem

    Hi All,
    I have this rather irritating problem where I upload files (Movies) to a
    friends PC and the file size exceeds the original.

    I use Ubuntu (Now on Gutsy) and he has Debian bastardised from knoppix.
    We connect to each other no problem. He has an account on mind and I
    have an account on his PC. Whenever I transfer a file, lets say a 700MB
    movie we get into a problem when the connection drops. I use gFTP and re-
    connect and click on continue (as apposed to overwrite) and the machine
    SEEMS to continue on as normal, until it grows to 750 or even 800MB.

    Any ideas how to avoid this?
    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  2. Re: gFTP problem

    MCR a écrit :
    > Hi All,
    > I have this rather irritating problem where I upload files (Movies) to a
    > friends PC and the file size exceeds the original.
    >
    > I use Ubuntu (Now on Gutsy) and he has Debian bastardised from knoppix.
    > We connect to each other no problem. He has an account on mind and I
    > have an account on his PC. Whenever I transfer a file, lets say a 700MB
    > movie we get into a problem when the connection drops. I use gFTP and re-
    > connect and click on continue (as apposed to overwrite) and the machine
    > SEEMS to continue on as normal, until it grows to 750 or even 800MB.
    >
    > Any ideas how to avoid this?

    Yeah. Avoid using gftp, which is a buggy piece of crap.

    cheers,

    NK

  3. Re: gFTP problem

    On 2007-10-01, Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > MCR a écrit :
    >> Hi All,
    >> I have this rather irritating problem where I upload files (Movies) to a
    >> friends PC and the file size exceeds the original.
    >>
    >> I use Ubuntu (Now on Gutsy) and he has Debian bastardised from knoppix.
    >> We connect to each other no problem. He has an account on mind and I
    >> have an account on his PC. Whenever I transfer a file, lets say a 700MB
    >> movie we get into a problem when the connection drops. I use gFTP and re-
    >> connect and click on continue (as apposed to overwrite) and the machine
    >> SEEMS to continue on as normal, until it grows to 750 or even 800MB.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to avoid this?

    > Yeah. Avoid using gftp, which is a buggy piece of crap.

    Which software do you use for ftp?

    Andrew

    --
    'Name him not!' said Gandalf, and for a moment
    it seemed that a look of pain passed over his face,

  4. Re: gFTP problem

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 15:49:52 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    Snipped

    >> Any ideas how to avoid this?

    > Yeah. Avoid using gftp, which is a buggy piece of crap.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > NK

    Thanks. I assumed it was gFTP. Is there one you would recommend?

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  5. Re: gFTP problem

    On 2007-10-02, MCR wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 15:49:52 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    [...]

    >>> Any ideas how to avoid this?

    >> Yeah. Avoid using gftp, which is a buggy piece of crap.

    [..]

    > Thanks. I assumed it was gFTP. Is there one you would recommend?

    Well, I moved from gftp to ncftp. Very robust program that has never
    let me down.

    Andrew

    --
    'Name him not!' said Gandalf, and for a moment
    it seemed that a look of pain passed over his face,
    and he sat silent, looking old as death.

  6. Re: gFTP problem

    andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-10-01, Niki Kovacs wrote:
    >> MCR a écrit :
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> I have this rather irritating problem where I upload files (Movies) to a
    >>> friends PC and the file size exceeds the original.
    >>>
    >>> I use Ubuntu (Now on Gutsy) and he has Debian bastardised from knoppix.
    >>> We connect to each other no problem. He has an account on mind and I
    >>> have an account on his PC. Whenever I transfer a file, lets say a 700MB
    >>> movie we get into a problem when the connection drops. I use gFTP and re-
    >>> connect and click on continue (as apposed to overwrite) and the machine
    >>> SEEMS to continue on as normal, until it grows to 750 or even 800MB.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas how to avoid this?

    >> Yeah. Avoid using gftp, which is a buggy piece of crap.

    > Which software do you use for ftp?
    >
    > Andrew

    ???

    I downloaded (x)ubuntu iso's with gFTP 2.0.18, went fine ...
    but with XUbuntu ... LTS ;-) (Largefile Transport System) :-D

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  7. Re: gFTP problem

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:11:28 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > ncftp

    Thanks! I will give it a try

    --
    MCR
    MAME - History In The Making

  8. Re: gFTP problem

    MCR wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:11:28 +0000, andrew wrote:
    >
    >> ncftp

    > Thanks! I will give it a try

    You might also want to try plain vanilla ftp.

    user@local:~$ ftp my.friends.pc

    Then give the bin command to be sure you're sending in binary format.

    ftp> bin

    ftp> put filename.movie

    ftp> exit

    And you're done.

  9. Re: gFTP problem

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:32:54 GMT
    damon wrote:

    > MCR wrote:
    > > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:11:28 +0000, andrew wrote:
    > >
    > >> ncftp

    > > Thanks! I will give it a try
    > >

    > You might also want to try plain vanilla ftp.
    >
    > user@local:~$ ftp my.friends.pc
    >
    > Then give the bin command to be sure you're sending in binary format.
    >
    > ftp> bin
    >
    > ftp> put filename.movie
    >
    > ftp> exit
    >
    > And you're done.

    You can also add "hash" after bin so as not to stare a blank screen for
    too long if the file is large or connection slow.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

+ Reply to Thread