mythtv setup - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on mythtv setup - Ubuntu ; Hello, I just installed mythtv finishing apt-get ... it errored: so i run again: /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid': Operation not permitted chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted Any suggestions? -- Xubunt6 "Xubuntu 6 just installed ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. mythtv setup

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  2. Re: mythtv setup

    * xubunt6 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Hello,

    > I just installed mythtv

    > finishing apt-get ... it errored:

    > so i run again:
    > /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

    > chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    > Operation not permitted
    > chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted

    > Any suggestions?

    sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Nothing succeeds like success.
    -- Alexandre Dumas

  3. Re: mythtv setup

    SINNER wrote:
    > * xubunt6 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> Hello,

    >> I just installed mythtv

    >> finishing apt-get ... it errored:

    >> so i run again:
    >> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

    >> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    >> Operation not permitted
    >> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted

    >> Any suggestions?

    > sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

    solves something, i get one error futher?:

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  4. Re: mythtv setup

    * xubunt6 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * xubunt6 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>> Hello,

    >>> I just installed mythtv

    >>> finishing apt-get ... it errored:

    >>> so i run again:
    >>> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

    >>> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    >>> Operation not permitted
    >>> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted

    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

    > solves something, i get one error futher?:
    >> sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >> Password:
    >> Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error:
    >> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication
    >> protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication
    >> failed

    Got me on that one, sorry.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Philadelphia is not dull -- it just seems so because it is next to
    exciting Camden, New Jersey.

  5. Re: mythtv setup

    SINNER wrote:
    > * xubunt6 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> SINNER wrote:

    >>> sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

    >> solves something, i get one error futher?:
    >>> sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >>> Password:
    >>> Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error:
    >>> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication
    >>> protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication
    >>> failed

    > Got me on that one, sorry.

    Thanks anyway. I will have a look on internet.

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  6. Re: mythtv setup

    xubunt6 wrote:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * xubunt6 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>> Hello,

    >>> I just installed mythtv

    >>> finishing apt-get ... it errored:

    >>> so i run again:
    >>> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

    >>> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    >>> Operation not permitted
    >>> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted

    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >>

    > solves something, i get one error futher?:
    >> sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >> Password:
    >> Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error:
    >> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
    >> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

    Try installing the mysql-gui tools (they are named something like that). I
    give you a better idea of what your option might be. Also, under the tools
    menu, check the show global options or something like that. The you can
    give various permissions to the owner of myth tv.

    I never got myth running (under Suse 10.2) but then I could never get it to
    recognize my tvcard as an ivtv device. Anyway, the above steps seemed to
    get me further along

    good luck!
    Ken D.

  7. Re: mythtv setup

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:50:26 +0200:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I just installed mythtv
    >
    > finishing apt-get ... it errored:
    >
    > so i run again:
    > /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >
    > chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    > Operation not permitted
    > chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Mythtv setup is very complex and is not easy. The authors of mythtv have
    made the various setup screens user friendly, but there are many potential
    problems which lurk in the background. I recommend that you fist follow
    the advice given here, also go to the mythtv forums and review the forum
    entries, and finally google for the specific problem you will inevitably
    have during set up.

    I must add that I have been using a mythtv dedicated linux box for about
    18 months now and once set up it is solid "if" the set up is absolutely
    and exactly correct. Otherwise, you are screwed.

    Gutes Gluke!

    Dave

  8. Re: mythtv setup

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:50:33 +0000, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:50:26 +0200:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I just installed mythtv
    >>
    >> finishing apt-get ... it errored:
    >>
    >> so i run again:
    >> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >>
    >> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    >> Operation not permitted
    >> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Mythtv setup is very complex and is not easy. The authors of mythtv
    > have made the various setup screens user friendly, but there are many
    > potential problems which lurk in the background. I recommend that you
    > fist follow the advice given here, also go to the mythtv forums and
    > review the forum entries, and finally google for the specific problem
    > you will inevitably have during set up.
    >
    > I must add that I have been using a mythtv dedicated linux box for about
    > 18 months now and once set up it is solid "if" the set up is absolutely
    > and exactly correct. Otherwise, you are screwed.
    >
    > Gutes Gluke!
    >
    > Dave

    A while back, someone started a Linux MCE project. I have checked the
    website a few times, but it doesn't seem to be moving along very quickly,
    and the website is pretty light on information (such as recommended
    hardware, etc).

    It would be nice if these guys were moving along. The OS looks
    fantastic, and I would definitely build a box for it, if I knew what
    exactly to include...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  9. Re: mythtv setup

    Ken Dere wrote:
    > xubunt6 wrote:
    >
    >> SINNER wrote:
    >>> sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >>>

    >> solves something, i get one error futher?:
    >>> sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >>> Password:
    >>> Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error:
    >>> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
    >>> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

    > Try installing the mysql-gui tools (they are named something like that). I
    > give you a better idea of what your option might be. Also, under the tools
    > menu, check the show global options or something like that. The you can
    > give various permissions to the owner of myth tv.
    >
    > I never got myth running (under Suse 10.2) but then I could never get it to
    > recognize my tvcard as an ivtv device. Anyway, the above steps seemed to
    > get me further along
    >
    > good luck!
    > Ken D.

    "> I never got myth running (under Suse 10.2)"
    Thanks! ;-)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  10. Re: mythtv setup

    Joe wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:50:33 +0000, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:50:26 +0200:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I just installed mythtv
    >>>
    >>> finishing apt-get ... it errored:
    >>>
    >>> so i run again:
    >>> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >>>
    >>> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    >>> Operation not permitted
    >>> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Mythtv setup is very complex and is not easy. The authors of mythtv
    >> have made the various setup screens user friendly, but there are many
    >> potential problems which lurk in the background. I recommend that you
    >> fist follow the advice given here, also go to the mythtv forums and
    >> review the forum entries, and finally google for the specific problem
    >> you will inevitably have during set up.
    >>
    >> I must add that I have been using a mythtv dedicated linux box for about
    >> 18 months now and once set up it is solid "if" the set up is absolutely
    >> and exactly correct. Otherwise, you are screwed.
    >>
    >> Gutes Gluke!
    >>
    >> Dave

    > A while back, someone started a Linux MCE project. I have checked the
    > website a few times, but it doesn't seem to be moving along very quickly,
    > and the website is pretty light on information (such as recommended
    > hardware, etc).
    >
    > It would be nice if these guys were moving along. The OS looks
    > fantastic, and I would definitely build a box for it, if I knew what
    > exactly to include...

    Thanks for the advice to look into mythtv websites.
    "... otherwise you are screwed."
    1st reply posting: "I never got myth running (under Suse 10.2)"
    2nd reply posting: "... otherwise you are screwed."

    Oh dear, what do i feel hopefull to get mythtv running ... ;-)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  11. Re: mythtv setup

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 17:56:53 +0200:

    > Joe wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:50:33 +0000, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:50:26 +0200:

    >>> Mythtv setup is very complex and is not easy. The authors of mythtv
    >>> have made the various setup screens user friendly, but there are many
    >>> potential problems which lurk in the background. I recommend that you
    >>> fist follow the advice given here, also go to the mythtv forums and
    >>> review the forum entries, and finally google for the specific problem
    >>> you will inevitably have during set up.
    >>>
    >>> I must add that I have been using a mythtv dedicated linux box for about
    >>> 18 months now and once set up it is solid "if" the set up is absolutely
    >>> and exactly correct. Otherwise, you are screwed.
    >>>
    >>> Gutes Gluke!
    >>>
    >>> Dave

    >> A while back, someone started a Linux MCE project. I have checked the
    >> website a few times, but it doesn't seem to be moving along very quickly,
    >> and the website is pretty light on information (such as recommended
    >> hardware, etc).
    >>
    >> It would be nice if these guys were moving along. The OS looks
    >> fantastic, and I would definitely build a box for it, if I knew what
    >> exactly to include...
    >>

    > Thanks for the advice to look into mythtv websites.
    > "... otherwise you are screwed."
    > 1st reply posting: "I never got myth running (under Suse 10.2)"
    > 2nd reply posting: "... otherwise you are screwed."
    >
    > Oh dear, what do i feel hopefull to get mythtv running ... ;-)

    mythtv is VERY complex and the setup is quite daunting. I recommend that
    you read the entire mythtv manual and the various web sites. You will not
    have the capability to do the channel guide any longer, evidently the
    "provider" of that free service put a halt to it a couple months ago. So
    don't both trying to set up the tv guide part. Remember to start out
    simple .. just get one thing working and fully checked out. Then go on to
    the next part of mythtv. There are many parts of mythtv which will break
    each other or at least impede the overall operation and that is why "fine
    tuning" is essential. In my case, I finally deleted the mythtv install
    from the dedicated media box which I was building and replaced the
    operating system with BeOS. That fixed everything. However, BeOS will
    only run on older machines and there is virtually no support; the BeOS
    forums are dead and you have to do a lot of do it yourself work. However,
    again, BeOS is very intuitive when in a multimedia operation, and
    blindingly fast even on a 100 Mhz machine if it is the one and only OS.

    We worked with a Windo$e media player pc for awhile, and while it worked
    out of the box, so to speak, there were many, many compatibility issues
    and the system insisted phoning home every so often and then crashing with
    a BSOD -- in other words, the usual Window$ behavior when it encounters
    something it can't deal with.

    Please, I don't want to discourage you from using mythtv .. but I do want
    to make sure you understand that you might have to spend several hours,
    with beer breaks in between, to get it going 100%.

    HTH, YMMV, LSMFT

    Dave

  12. Re: mythtv setup

    What about Geexbox? Have you tried it out yet?

  13. Re: mythtv setup

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 17:56:53 +0200:
    >
    >> Joe wrote:

    >>> A while back, someone started a Linux MCE project. I have checked the
    >>> website a few times, but it doesn't seem to be moving along very quickly,
    >>> and the website is pretty light on information (such as recommended
    >>> hardware, etc).
    >>>
    >>> It would be nice if these guys were moving along. The OS looks
    >>> fantastic, and I would definitely build a box for it, if I knew what
    >>> exactly to include...
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the advice to look into mythtv websites.
    >> "... otherwise you are screwed."
    >> 1st reply posting: "I never got myth running (under Suse 10.2)"
    >> 2nd reply posting: "... otherwise you are screwed."
    >>
    >> Oh dear, what do i feel hopefull to get mythtv running ... ;-)
    >>

    > mythtv is VERY complex and the setup is quite daunting. I recommend that
    > you read the entire mythtv manual and the various web sites. You will not
    > have the capability to do the channel guide any longer, evidently the
    > "provider" of that free service put a halt to it a couple months ago. So
    > don't both trying to set up the tv guide part. Remember to start out
    > simple .. just get one thing working and fully checked out. Then go on to
    > the next part of mythtv. There are many parts of mythtv which will break
    > each other or at least impede the overall operation and that is why "fine
    > tuning" is essential. In my case, I finally deleted the mythtv install
    > from the dedicated media box which I was building and replaced the
    > operating system with BeOS. That fixed everything. However, BeOS will
    > only run on older machines and there is virtually no support; the BeOS
    > forums are dead and you have to do a lot of do it yourself work. However,
    > again, BeOS is very intuitive when in a multimedia operation, and
    > blindingly fast even on a 100 Mhz machine if it is the one and only OS.
    >
    > We worked with a Windo$e media player pc for awhile, and while it worked
    > out of the box, so to speak, there were many, many compatibility issues
    > and the system insisted phoning home every so often and then crashing with
    > a BSOD -- in other words, the usual Window$ behavior when it encounters
    > something it can't deal with.
    >
    > Please, I don't want to discourage you from using mythtv .. but I do want
    > to make sure you understand that you might have to spend several hours,
    > with beer breaks in between, to get it going 100%.
    >
    > HTH, YMMV, LSMFT
    >
    > Dave

    Thanks.
    I'll give it a shot ... and i might shoot at it aimed: to shoot at it ...
    ;-)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  14. Re: mythtv setup

    Dogma Discharge wrote:
    > What about Geexbox? Have you tried it out yet?

    No, i will have a look at it. Thanks.

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  15. Re: mythtv setup

    xubunt6 wrote:
    > Dogma Discharge wrote:
    >> What about Geexbox? Have you tried it out yet?
    >>

    > No, i will have a look at it. Thanks.

    Geexbox is not "standard" in xu 606, does it work under it?

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  16. Re: mythtv setup

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:50:26 +0200, xubunt6 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I just installed mythtv
    >
    > finishing apt-get ... it errored:
    >
    > so i run again:
    > /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >
    > chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    > Operation not permitted
    > chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    While it doesn't help you with your current predicament, it might be
    worthwhile to wait a few more weeks and install MythBuntu when it is
    released. An unofficial Ubuntu variant with MythTV all ready to go, and
    support for most common hardware for the MythTV purposes... It is
    available now in Beta, but should be released shortly after Gutsy...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  17. Re: mythtv setup

    Joe wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:50:26 +0200, xubunt6 wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I just installed mythtv
    >>
    >> finishing apt-get ... it errored:
    >>
    >> so i run again:
    >> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >>
    >> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    >> Operation not permitted
    >> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > While it doesn't help you with your current predicament, it might be
    > worthwhile to wait a few more weeks and install MythBuntu when it is
    > released. An unofficial Ubuntu variant with MythTV all ready to go, and
    > support for most common hardware for the MythTV purposes... It is
    > available now in Beta, but should be released shortly after Gutsy...

    Thanks. I might just do that.

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  18. Re: mythtv setup

    Joe wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:50:26 +0200, xubunt6 wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I just installed mythtv
    >>
    >> finishing apt-get ... it errored:
    >>
    >> so i run again:
    >> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >>
    >> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    >> Operation not permitted
    >> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > While it doesn't help you with your current predicament, it might be
    > worthwhile to wait a few more weeks and install MythBuntu when it is
    > released. An unofficial Ubuntu variant with MythTV all ready to go, and
    > support for most common hardware for the MythTV purposes... It is
    > available now in Beta, but should be released shortly after Gutsy...

    Forgotten: does it work under xubunt 606 lts?

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

  19. Re: mythtv setup

    xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Joe wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:50:26 +0200, xubunt6 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I just installed mythtv
    >>>
    >>> finishing apt-get ... it errored:
    >>>
    >>> so i run again:
    >>> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
    >>>
    >>> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid':
    >>> Operation not permitted
    >>> chown: changing ownership of `/var/run/mythtv': Operation not permitted
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> While it doesn't help you with your current predicament, it might be
    >> worthwhile to wait a few more weeks and install MythBuntu when it is
    >> released. An unofficial Ubuntu variant with MythTV all ready to go, and
    >> support for most common hardware for the MythTV purposes... It is
    >> available now in Beta, but should be released shortly after Gutsy...
    >>

    > Thanks. I might just do that.

    Or...

    LinuxMCE

    A Media center linux based on Kubuntu.
    http://linuxmce.com

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  20. Re: mythtv setup

    Moog wrote:
    > xubunt6 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Joe wrote:

    >>> While it doesn't help you with your current predicament, it might be
    >>> worthwhile to wait a few more weeks and install MythBuntu when it is
    >>> released. An unofficial Ubuntu variant with MythTV all ready to go, and
    >>> support for most common hardware for the MythTV purposes... It is
    >>> available now in Beta, but should be released shortly after Gutsy...
    >>>

    >> Thanks. I might just do that.

    > Or...
    >
    > LinuxMCE
    >
    > A Media center linux based on Kubuntu.
    > http://linuxmce.com

    Thanks. But i cannot find on the site whether xubunt 6 lts is supported ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 just installed ..."

+ Reply to Thread