4 GB Ram? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 4 GB Ram? - Ubuntu ; I just got my additional 2 gig memory in the mail today and of course promptly installed it. I was wanting more memory to more easily support a virtual machine for windows as I still have some Windows software projects ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. 4 GB Ram?

    I just got my additional 2 gig memory in the mail today and of course
    promptly installed it. I was wanting more memory to more easily support a
    virtual machine for windows as I still have some Windows software
    projects I need to maintain. This will keep me from actually having to
    boot into windows to do so. =)

    Now my motherboard is an Asus P5WDG2 Professional that supports up to 8
    Gigs of RAM with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.

    The only thing is, Ubuntu only sees 3 gigs. Now I realize the upper part
    of addressable memory can be taken up by PCI devices and my video card is
    quite hungry in that regard. However, I was wondering if there is a way
    to get Ubuntu to see all 4 gigs. I checked the bios and all 4 gigs are
    available there.

    I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    instead which is the one I am using.

    But since this motherboard supports 8 Gig with an Intel CPU, there's got
    to be a way to actually do this somehow. Anyone know something I don't? =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:32:43 -0500
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    > discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    > little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    > instead which is the one I am using.

    The 64 bit will work with Intel CPUs as well despite the name.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  3. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > I just got my additional 2 gig memory in the mail today and of course
    > promptly installed it. I was wanting more memory to more easily support a
    > virtual machine for windows as I still have some Windows software
    > projects I need to maintain. This will keep me from actually having to
    > boot into windows to do so. =)
    >
    > Now my motherboard is an Asus P5WDG2 Professional that supports up to 8
    > Gigs of RAM with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.
    >
    > The only thing is, Ubuntu only sees 3 gigs. Now I realize the upper part
    > of addressable memory can be taken up by PCI devices and my video card is
    > quite hungry in that regard. However, I was wondering if there is a way
    > to get Ubuntu to see all 4 gigs. I checked the bios and all 4 gigs are
    > available there.
    >
    > I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    > discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    > little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    > instead which is the one I am using.
    >
    > But since this motherboard supports 8 Gig with an Intel CPU, there's got
    > to be a way to actually do this somehow. Anyone know something I don't? =)

    Google knows....

    http://www.linux.com/feature/119287

    http://sudan.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=484222

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  4. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:32:43 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > I just got my additional 2 gig memory in the mail today and of course
    > promptly installed it. I was wanting more memory to more easily support
    > a virtual machine for windows as I still have some Windows software
    > projects I need to maintain. This will keep me from actually having to
    > boot into windows to do so. =)
    >
    > Now my motherboard is an Asus P5WDG2 Professional that supports up to 8
    > Gigs of RAM with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.
    >
    > The only thing is, Ubuntu only sees 3 gigs. Now I realize the upper part
    > of addressable memory can be taken up by PCI devices and my video card
    > is quite hungry in that regard. However, I was wondering if there is a
    > way to get Ubuntu to see all 4 gigs. I checked the bios and all 4 gigs
    > are available there.

    You need the 64 Bit Kernel to address 4GB of RAM.

    > I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    > discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    > little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    > instead which is the one I am using.

    Untrue. AMD64 is the correct kernel for your CPU.

    > But since this motherboard supports 8 Gig with an Intel CPU, there's got
    > to be a way to actually do this somehow. Anyone know something I don't?
    > =)

    Use a 64 Bit OS. 32 Bit OS' do not address 4GB of RAM.

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    Stephan Rose schreef:

    > I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    > discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    > little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    > instead which is the one I am using.

    The AMD part in the name tells us it uses an instruction set originally
    devised by AMD who had the first working 64bit processor on the market.
    Intel was wise enough to stick to the now existing protocol hence their
    64bit processors run the same AMD64 binaries.

  6. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Now my motherboard is an Asus P5WDG2 Professional that supports up to 8
    > Gigs of RAM with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.

    And that's the CPU you actually have in your motherboard, or ... ?
    Because if you use a Core (not a Core 2) CPU, your CPU is 32bit and
    you're out of luck.

    > The only thing is, Ubuntu only sees 3 gigs. Now I realize the upper part
    > of addressable memory can be taken up by PCI devices and my video card is
    > quite hungry in that regard. However, I was wondering if there is a way
    > to get Ubuntu to see all 4 gigs. I checked the bios and all 4 gigs are
    > available there.

    Use "dmesg | head -40" to see the kernel boot messages about your RAM.
    You will probably see something like halfway the page:

    [ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: 0000000100000000 - 0000000120000000 (usable)
    [ 0.000000] Warning only 4GB will be used.
    [ 0.000000] Use a PAE enabled kernel.
    [ 0.000000] 3200MB HIGHMEM available.

    With a 32bit system, you can't use the memory memory that's mapped to
    0x100000000 upwards. Well, unless you use a PAE enabled kernel, but I've
    heard PAE is a dog.

    So the solution is to use a 64bit system: 64bit CPU (Core 2), 64bit
    chipset, and a 64bit Linux. But ... looking at what you posted on
    9/16/2007 on 64bit OSes, I wonder if you want a 64bit OS ...

    > I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    > discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    > little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    > instead which is the one I am using.

    No, the so called AMD64 version works on Intel Core 2 CPUs too.
    So I wonder what the exact message was. If it was "Your CPU does not
    support long mode. Use a 32bit distribution." right after the Ubuntu
    splash screen, your hardware isn't 64bit, you can't run the 64bit OS and
    you can't enjoy the full 4GB.

    de Kameel

  7. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:27:44 +0200, De Kameel wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> Now my motherboard is an Asus P5WDG2 Professional that supports up to 8
    >> Gigs of RAM with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.

    > And that's the CPU you actually have in your motherboard, or ... ?
    > Because if you use a Core (not a Core 2) CPU, your CPU is 32bit and
    > you're out of luck.
    >
    >> The only thing is, Ubuntu only sees 3 gigs. Now I realize the upper
    >> part of addressable memory can be taken up by PCI devices and my video
    >> card is quite hungry in that regard. However, I was wondering if there
    >> is a way to get Ubuntu to see all 4 gigs. I checked the bios and all 4
    >> gigs are available there.

    > Use "dmesg | head -40" to see the kernel boot messages about your RAM.
    > You will probably see something like halfway the page:
    >
    > [ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: 0000000100000000 - 0000000120000000 (usable)
    > [ 0.000000] Warning only 4GB will be used. [ 0.000000] Use a PAE
    > enabled kernel. [ 0.000000] 3200MB HIGHMEM available.
    >
    > With a 32bit system, you can't use the memory memory that's mapped to
    > 0x100000000 upwards. Well, unless you use a PAE enabled kernel, but I've
    > heard PAE is a dog.
    >
    > So the solution is to use a 64bit system: 64bit CPU (Core 2), 64bit
    > chipset, and a 64bit Linux. But ... looking at what you posted on
    > 9/16/2007 on 64bit OSes, I wonder if you want a 64bit OS ...

    I figured I might actually play around with it a little bit.
    Bored...nothing better to do. =)

    >> I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    >> discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    >> little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    >> instead which is the one I am using.

    > No, the so called AMD64 version works on Intel Core 2 CPUs too. So I
    > wonder what the exact message was. If it was "Your CPU does not support
    > long mode. Use a 32bit distribution." right after the Ubuntu splash
    > screen, your hardware isn't 64bit, you can't run the 64bit OS and you
    > can't enjoy the full 4GB.

    I didn't get any message as of yet, I was just following the instructions
    on the download page which directs me to use the x86 version for non AMD
    CPUs. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  8. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 00:44:05 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:32:43 -0500
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    >> discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    >> little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    >> instead which is the one I am using.

    > The 64 bit will work with Intel CPUs as well despite the name.

    Ahh I wasn't aware of that, thanks. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  9. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 01:07:24 +0000, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> I just got my additional 2 gig memory in the mail today and of course
    >> promptly installed it. I was wanting more memory to more easily support
    >> a virtual machine for windows as I still have some Windows software
    >> projects I need to maintain. This will keep me from actually having to
    >> boot into windows to do so. =)
    >>
    >> Now my motherboard is an Asus P5WDG2 Professional that supports up to 8
    >> Gigs of RAM with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.
    >>
    >> The only thing is, Ubuntu only sees 3 gigs. Now I realize the upper
    >> part of addressable memory can be taken up by PCI devices and my video
    >> card is quite hungry in that regard. However, I was wondering if there
    >> is a way to get Ubuntu to see all 4 gigs. I checked the bios and all 4
    >> gigs are available there.
    >>
    >> I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    >> discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    >> little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    >> instead which is the one I am using.
    >>
    >> But since this motherboard supports 8 Gig with an Intel CPU, there's
    >> got to be a way to actually do this somehow. Anyone know something I
    >> don't? =)
    >>

    > Google knows....
    >
    > http://www.linux.com/feature/119287
    >
    > http://sudan.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=484222

    I asked google but didn't come across those, thanks. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  10. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 00:50:54 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:32:43 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> I just got my additional 2 gig memory in the mail today and of course
    >> promptly installed it. I was wanting more memory to more easily support
    >> a virtual machine for windows as I still have some Windows software
    >> projects I need to maintain. This will keep me from actually having to
    >> boot into windows to do so. =)
    >>
    >> Now my motherboard is an Asus P5WDG2 Professional that supports up to 8
    >> Gigs of RAM with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.
    >>
    >> The only thing is, Ubuntu only sees 3 gigs. Now I realize the upper
    >> part of addressable memory can be taken up by PCI devices and my video
    >> card is quite hungry in that regard. However, I was wondering if there
    >> is a way to get Ubuntu to see all 4 gigs. I checked the bios and all 4
    >> gigs are available there.

    > You need the 64 Bit Kernel to address 4GB of RAM.
    >

    >> I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    >> discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    >> little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    >> instead which is the one I am using.

    > Untrue. AMD64 is the correct kernel for your CPU.

    Then I think they should change the text a little bit on the download
    page because it's a little misleading (in my opinion) for non-AMD users.
    =)

    >> But since this motherboard supports 8 Gig with an Intel CPU, there's
    >> got to be a way to actually do this somehow. Anyone know something I
    >> don't? =)

    > Use a 64 Bit OS. 32 Bit OS' do not address 4GB of RAM.

    Well there is the ability to use Paging on a 32-bit OS to address more
    than 4 GB of ram, not 100% sure though if my motherboard supports it. The
    manual doesn't mention one way or another.

    Thanks,

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  11. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > I didn't get any message as of yet, I was just following the instructions
    > on the download page which directs me to use the x86 version for non AMD
    > CPUs. =)

    On http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download, selecting "64bit AMD and Intel
    computers" will lead you to a download URL for
    ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64.iso . Just download it, burn it to disc and boot
    from it.

    de Kameel

  12. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:23:27 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    >> Untrue. AMD64 is the correct kernel for your CPU.

    > Then I think they should change the text a little bit on the download
    > page because it's a little misleading (in my opinion) for non-AMD users.

    Historical revisionism isn't necessarily a good idea, and doesn't
    necessarily make things clearer. The i386 architecture is called that
    because Intel defined it (hence the "i"), not because i386 runs only on
    Intel. The AMD64 architecture is called that because AMD defined
    that particular 64-bit architecture, and some (most) Intel 64-bit
    processors use that same architecture.

    Or do you think only someone chinese can give you a chinese burn?

  13. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:40:44 +0200, de Kameel wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> I didn't get any message as of yet, I was just following the
    >> instructions on the download page which directs me to use the x86
    >> version for non AMD CPUs. =)

    > On http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download, selecting "64bit AMD and
    > Intel computers" will lead you to a download URL for
    > ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64.iso . Just download it, burn it to disc and
    > boot from it.

    Yea but that's feisty!! Feisty is so...old news.
    Gutsy is where it's at! =)

    The Gutsy image just finished downloading though so I'll go burn it now
    and play with it and see what happens. If it works it works. If it
    doesn't then it doesn't...no biggie.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  14. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    Mark South writes:

    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:23:27 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >>> Untrue. AMD64 is the correct kernel for your CPU.

    >> Then I think they should change the text a little bit on the download
    >> page because it's a little misleading (in my opinion) for non-AMD users.

    > Historical revisionism isn't necessarily a good idea, and doesn't
    > necessarily make things clearer. The i386 architecture is called that
    > because Intel defined it (hence the "i"), not because i386 runs only on
    > Intel. The AMD64 architecture is called that because AMD defined
    > that particular 64-bit architecture, and some (most) Intel 64-bit
    > processors use that same architecture.
    >
    > Or do you think only someone chinese can give you a chinese burn?

    I'd say it was fairly obvious to anyone that AMD64 is a misnomer
    regardless of history. I have seen this issue arise many, many
    times. People are not making up the fact that they are confused.

    Few, if any people know or care why its called AMD64.

    --
    El arte es una mentira que nos acerca a la verdad.
    -- Pablo Picasso. (1881-1973) Pintor español.

  15. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:32:43 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > I just got my additional 2 gig memory in the mail today and of course
    > promptly installed it. I was wanting more memory to more easily support
    > a virtual machine for windows as I still have some Windows software
    > projects I need to maintain. This will keep me from actually having to
    > boot into windows to do so. =)
    >
    > Now my motherboard is an Asus P5WDG2 Professional that supports up to 8
    > Gigs of RAM with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU.
    >
    > The only thing is, Ubuntu only sees 3 gigs. Now I realize the upper part
    > of addressable memory can be taken up by PCI devices and my video card
    > is quite hungry in that regard. However, I was wondering if there is a
    > way to get Ubuntu to see all 4 gigs. I checked the bios and all 4 gigs
    > are available there.
    >
    > I played with the thought of installing the 64-bit version but quickly
    > discovered that the 64-bit download is for AMD only so that does me
    > little good with an Intel CPU. It just states to use the x86 Image
    > instead which is the one I am using.
    >
    > But since this motherboard supports 8 Gig with an Intel CPU, there's got
    > to be a way to actually do this somehow. Anyone know something I don't?
    > =)

    If you are running 32 Bit Linux you need a PAE kernel. PAE is a 32bit
    addressing mode that allows the OS to see 64G. An individual thread is
    limited to 3G but that's not a problem in a 4G system since the OS is
    going to use some of the memory anyway. You could also install 64 bit
    Linux. The Core2 and AMD64 are completely compatible except for the
    virtualization instructions (VMware understands both so that's not an
    issue).

  16. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    Hadron schreef:

    > I'd say it was fairly obvious to anyone that AMD64 is a misnomer
    > regardless of history. I have seen this issue arise many, many
    > times. People are not making up the fact that they are confused.
    >
    > Few, if any people know or care why its called AMD64.

    I see we don't agree.

  17. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:

    > Hadron schreef:
    >
    >> I'd say it was fairly obvious to anyone that AMD64 is a misnomer
    >> regardless of history. I have seen this issue arise many, many
    >> times. People are not making up the fact that they are confused.
    >>
    >> Few, if any people know or care why its called AMD64.
    >>

    > I see we don't agree.

    So you think it is "obvious" that AMD64 is for the Intel chips too?
    Really? I certainly didn't when I went hunting for a 64 bit Debian to
    install.

    The issue comes up on a regular basis, so clearly people DO have
    issues. It's legacy now and possibly a name change is not for the
    best. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to mirror it to a more generic or
    Intel specific name to avoid these confusions.

    --
    "By golly, I'm beginning to think Linux really *is* the best thing since
    sliced bread."

  18. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    Hadron schreef:
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:
    >
    >> Hadron schreef:
    >>
    >>> I'd say it was fairly obvious to anyone that AMD64 is a misnomer
    >>> regardless of history. I have seen this issue arise many, many
    >>> times. People are not making up the fact that they are confused.
    >>>
    >>> Few, if any people know or care why its called AMD64.
    >>>

    >> I see we don't agree.

    > So you think it is "obvious" that AMD64 is for the Intel chips too?
    > Really? I certainly didn't when I went hunting for a 64 bit Debian to
    > install.
    >
    > The issue comes up on a regular basis, so clearly people DO have
    > issues. It's legacy now and possibly a name change is not for the
    > best. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to mirror it to a more generic or
    > Intel specific name to avoid these confusions.

    Now we agree.
    I've been around computers for many years and followed the development
    of processors, hence I do not find the present naming convention
    confusing at all.

    But I do agree it could be more transparent for a new generation when
    the name makes it clear this 'AMD' or 'i' refers *only* to the
    instruction set, not the hardware manufacturer.

    At least the download pages should all have a clearer statement to this
    effect.

  19. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:

    > Hadron schreef:

    >>> I see we don't agree.

    >> So you think it is "obvious" that AMD64 is for the Intel chips too?
    >> Really? I certainly didn't when I went hunting for a 64 bit Debian to
    >> install.
    >>
    >> The issue comes up on a regular basis, so clearly people DO have
    >> issues. It's legacy now and possibly a name change is not for the
    >> best. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to mirror it to a more generic or
    >> Intel specific name to avoid these confusions.
    >>

    > Now we agree.
    > I've been around computers for many years and followed the development
    > of processors, hence I do not find the present naming convention
    > confusing at all.
    >
    > But I do agree it could be more transparent for a new generation when
    > the name makes it clear this 'AMD' or 'i' refers *only* to the
    > instruction set, not the hardware manufacturer.
    >
    > At least the download pages should all have a clearer statement to
    > this effect.

    Then we totally agree. AMD64 is not clear for someone who is NOT
    familiar with the development of the instruction sets. e.g 99.99% of
    people who are looking for a distro.

    --
    Cuando canta la rana, buena semana.

  20. Re: 4 GB Ram?

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:07:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:
    >
    >> Hadron schreef:

    >>> So you think it is "obvious" that AMD64 is for the Intel chips too?
    >>> Really? I certainly didn't when I went hunting for a 64 bit Debian to
    >>> install.
    >>>
    >>> The issue comes up on a regular basis, so clearly people DO have
    >>> issues. It's legacy now and possibly a name change is not for the
    >>> best. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to mirror it to a more generic or
    >>> Intel specific name to avoid these confusions.
    >>>

    >> Now we agree.
    >> I've been around computers for many years and followed the development
    >> of processors, hence I do not find the present naming convention
    >> confusing at all.
    >>
    >> But I do agree it could be more transparent for a new generation when
    >> the name makes it clear this 'AMD' or 'i' refers *only* to the
    >> instruction set, not the hardware manufacturer.
    >>
    >> At least the download pages should all have a clearer statement to this
    >> effect.

    > Then we totally agree. AMD64 is not clear for someone who is NOT
    > familiar with the development of the instruction sets. e.g 99.99% of
    > people who are looking for a distro.

    Which also happened to include me. I might write software for these
    things but I surely don't worry about who names what how or why. There
    used to be a time when I kept up with all of that but these days, I'm
    just simply too busy to worry about it.

    I looked today and the Ubuntu download page actually does list Intel and
    AMD for 64-bit and is clear about that. But since I have fully switched
    to Gutsy, I didn't bother going there and went straight to the Gutsy
    download page where it isn't described as clearly.

    That said, the Gutsy 64-bit Live CD actually runs fine on my system but
    I'll probably wait until Gutsy goes live to install it. I'm going to do a
    clean reinstall at that point in time anyway so there's little point for
    me to reinstall now and then again in 2-3 weeks.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは