Updating FireFox - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Updating FireFox - Ubuntu ; On 29 Sep 2007 07:14:29 GMT Moog wrote: [snip .mov] > Quite. And like I said, I cannot remember the last time I viewed one. Unfortunately, my Kojak CheesyShare camera produces them if I want (silent/dark) video. -- You can ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

  1. Re: Updating FireFox

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  2. Re: Updating FireFox

    On 29 Sep 2007 10:52:23 +0200, Mark South wrote:

    > My own personal mission-critical machines are running Debian Etch
    > and Ubuntu 6.06 LTS for this reason.

    That sounds very pretentious. Do you work for NASA?

    --
    Chris Game

  3. Re: Updating FireFox

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:33:43 +0100, Chris Game wrote:

    > On 29 Sep 2007 10:52:23 +0200, Mark South wrote:
    >
    >> My own personal mission-critical machines are running Debian Etch
    >> and Ubuntu 6.06 LTS for this reason.

    > That sounds very pretentious.

    Only to you, and only because the word "pretentious" still amuses you.

    > Do you work for NASA?

    I failed to achieve the requisite level of cluelessness.

    You should apply, though.

  4. Re: Updating FireFox

    * johnny bobby bee wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Mark Rae wrote:
    >> So what's the "accepted wisdom", then...?

    >> Should I just wait for Ubuntu to update FireFox itself as and when it thinks
    >> it needs to, or should I try to patch it myself somehow...?

    > This vulnerability is very unlikely to affect Linux, so, stay put; wait
    > for the developers. If it were serious, it'd be patched by now. But you
    > can use both if you want, just download it from mozilla.com. It's simple
    > to install and update. Just remember when you get automatic updates from
    > Ubuntu, it won't include your (second version) firefox.

    A much better solution is to go here:

    http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/

    If you need the most current mozilla release.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    All generalisations are dangerous, including this one.

  5. Re: Updating FireFox

    In <46fe4de4$1_1@news.bluewin.ch> Mark South:

    [Snip...]

    > You should apply, though.

    Chrissie seems too wrapped up in Flat Earth Society proceedings for it:

    http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...f/FlatHome.htm

    To be clear: wintards like Chrissie are the FlatEarthers of our time. And
    it seems I haven't missed anything useful, after plonking Chrissie months
    ago (certainly, YMMV).

  6. Re: Updating FireFox

    On 29 Sep 2007 15:06:44 +0200, Mark South wrote:

    >>> My own personal mission-critical machines are running Debian
    >>> Etch and Ubuntu 6.06 LTS for this reason.

    >> That sounds very pretentious.

    > Only to you, and only because the word "pretentious" still amuses
    > you.

    So do tell us what your 'mission' is, and why the machines (note
    plural folks) are critical to it?

    --
    Chris Game

    "Everything that can be said can be said clearly."
    -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

  7. Re: Updating FireFox

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 29 Sep 2007 07:14:29 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    > [snip .mov]
    >
    >> Quite. And like I said, I cannot remember the last time I viewed one.

    > Unfortunately, my Kojak CheesyShare camera produces them if I want
    > (silent/dark) video.

    Hmmm. What's Kodak's Linux support like? ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  8. Re: Updating FireFox

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:06:17 +0100, Chris Game wrote:

    >>> That sounds very pretentious.

    >> Only to you, and only because the word "pretentious" still amuses
    >> you.

    > So do tell us what your 'mission' is, and why the machines (note
    > plural folks) are critical to it?

    That would be exactly none of your business. Feel free to FOAD.

  9. Re: Updating FireFox

    Trevor Best schreef:
    > On 29 Sep 2007 07:14:29 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    > [snip .mov]
    >
    >> Quite. And like I said, I cannot remember the last time I viewed one.

    > Unfortunately, my Kojak CheesyShare camera produces them if I want
    > (silent/dark) video.

    My older Konica-Minolta camera does the same.
    But I'm quite sure it does not add malware.
    Plus it does not require Quicktime to view it in Linux.

  10. Re: Updating FireFox

    Moog writes:

    > Mark Rae illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> Should I just wait for Ubuntu to update FireFox itself as and when it thinks
    >> it needs to, or should I try to patch it myself somehow...?

    > A categorical *wait* from me.

    Try Debian again. It will drive you mad with how "out of date" the
    stable is ... but then that is "stable"

    But one great thing about the repository management is pinning. I run
    Lenny but added the unstable repository links to my
    sources.list. Update. I can now see all the unstable files BUT my
    /etc/apt/preferences is set to prefer Lenny. Result? I can pick and
    choose which of the SID packages I install. For example I run the
    2.6.22.2 kernel on Lenny because its the only one which recognises my
    SATA system properly.

    http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

    Oh, and btw , Peter Koehlmann is a liar.

    AMD 64 Debian/Ubunbtu does not "just" work. Skype I never got
    working. Flash? Possibly some times with ia32. Java plugins? No such
    thing in 64 bit. Solution?

    Oh, just "chroot it". Easy you would think? Sure.

    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=12061

    Really, advice to anyone who isn't a top Linux guru - do not touch amd64
    with a barge pole unless you really know what you are doing.

    Just the fact that flash/java doesn't work properly is enough to disrupt
    your day if yo spend anytime at all on the web.

    BTW, despite my modern new system not working "out of the box" the
    Debian system is really cool and I'm now in Debian world. I think you
    tried it before Moog - try now from a Debian Lenny Business Card
    installer if you have a spare partition.

    --
    "I once witnessed a long-winded, month-long flamewar over the use of
    mice vs. trackballs...It was very silly."

  11. Re: Updating FireFox

    On 29 Sep 2007 18:33:37 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > > On 29 Sep 2007 07:14:29 GMT
    > > Moog wrote:
    > >
    > > [snip .mov]
    > >
    > >> Quite. And like I said, I cannot remember the last time I viewed one.

    > > Unfortunately, my Kojak CheesyShare camera produces them if I want
    > > (silent/dark) video.

    > Hmmm. What's Kodak's Linux support like? ;-)

    Better than its Kodak support!!!!!!!!!!

    Well, if I plug my camera into the USB I can copy off the photos in
    Linux same as in Windows, either using the Wizard thing or just a
    mounted volume.

    I only bought mine because
    a) My old 1.3MP Fuji was long in the tooth and I had to wind sellotape
    around it to stop the (4) batteries falling out.
    and
    b) I could just plonk it on my wife's Easyshare printing system as it's
    the same model camera apart from hers is slightly older and only 3.2MP
    (to my newer ones 4.0MP).

    Well, mine don't fit on the printing system, hers won't plug into a PC
    without it, WTF is easy about "Easyshare"? Kodak wanted £75 for a 1GB
    SDRAM whereas I got mine direct from Crucial for £20. No wonder
    Thunderbird thinks all their mail is scam. What rip off artists, I'll
    never buy Kodak again!

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  12. Re: Updating FireFox

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 22:12:03 +0200
    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote:

    > My older Konica-Minolta camera does the same.
    > But I'm quite sure it does not add malware.
    > Plus it does not require Quicktime to view it in Linux.

    No, I use any old player, Totem usually as that's default on
    double click. No need to install QuimSlime.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  13. Re: Updating FireFox

    Moog wrote:

    > Mark Rae illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Ubuntu newbie here...
    >>
    >> I'm running Ubuntu (not Kubuntu) 7.04 which I downloaded from here:
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download - Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop, standard
    >> personal computer, then chose the nearest location...
    >>
    >> So I've got FireFox for Web browsing and Nautilus for file management.
    >>
    >> The version of FireFox currently installed is 2.0.0.6 - however, I notice
    >> that 2.0.0.7 is available.
    >>
    >> But when I run the Update manager, it tells me that my system is up to
    >> date.
    >>
    >> Obviously, I can go to the Mozilla site and download FireFox 2.0.0.7 and
    >> install it separately, but is that the correct approach...? Doing that
    >> appears to install a completely separate copy of FireFox, just as if I'd
    >> downloaded and installed Opera or SeaMonkey or whatever...
    >>
    >> Is there a way to tell Ubuntu to update its "built-in" (or whatever the
    >> correct term is) installation of FireFox?
    >>
    >> Any assistance gratefully received.
    >>
    >> Mark

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > What I would suggest is leaving it at the current Ubuntu version
    > number.
    > Once the Ubuntu team have fully checked the code and specifically
    > supported it, then it will appear. The Ubuntu software repositories are
    > superb, and I would strongly recommend not attempting to install outside
    > of the repository system unless it's absolutely necessary.
    >
    > What do you get with the new Firefox? I don't think you get very much
    > more to be honest, so the benefit of putting the time and effort in of
    > getting the latest version is either minimal or none-existant.
    > Especially considering that it's likely to appear before long.

  14. Re: Updating FireFox

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > BTW, despite my modern new system not working "out of the box" the
    > Debian system is really cool and I'm now in Debian world. I think you
    > tried it before Moog - try now from a Debian Lenny Business Card
    > installer if you have a spare partition.

    I've no need to. I'm quite happy withe my mix of Ubuntu, Solaris,
    Fedora and Vista at present. I don't really fancy toying with Debian.
    I've got other things to play with.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  15. Re: Updating FireFox

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 29 Sep 2007 18:33:37 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> > On 29 Sep 2007 07:14:29 GMT
    >> > Moog wrote:
    >> >
    >> > [snip .mov]

    >> > Unfortunately, my Kojak CheesyShare camera produces them if I want
    >> > (silent/dark) video.

    >> Hmmm. What's Kodak's Linux support like? ;-)

    > Better than its Kodak support!!!!!!!!!!

    LOL. I'll steer clear then.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  16. Re: Updating FireFox

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 07:38:21 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Fixed in Firefox 2.0.0.7
    > MFSA 2007-28 Code execution via QuickTime Media-link files
    > (Critical: Vulnerability can be used to run attacker code and install
    > software,
    > requiring no user interaction beyond normal browsing.)

    Yea, on Windows. I don't think that applies to Linux too.

  17. Re: Updating FireFox

    Moog wrote:
    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> <...>
    >> BTW, despite my modern new system not working "out of the box" the
    >> Debian system is really cool and I'm now in Debian world. I think you
    >> tried it before Moog - try now from a Debian Lenny Business Card
    >> installer if you have a spare partition.
    >>

    > I've no need to. I'm quite happy withe my mix of Ubuntu, Solaris,
    > Fedora and Vista at present. I don't really fancy toying with Debian.
    > I've got other things to play with.

    Debian certainly is no toy. I probably will start a humongous thread by
    saying this, but I consider Debian the best GNU/Linux distro. I have
    Etch running on three boxes, and Sarge on ten.

    I have Fedora Core 1,3, 4 and 5, as well as Red Hat 5.2. Don't really
    care for their RPM idea. Same thoughts for the Mandrake 8 and 10 that I
    seldom use.

    I have no Vistas, and I want no Vistas.

    Now Solaris.... I tried to install it, and the install actually went
    fine. Except it couldn't find my NIC. So what good is a non-networked
    Unix box except for maybe a game box (and not many games for Unix I
    bet)? This was Solaris 10.

    Did you have any trouble with it identifying your NIC?

    --
    John

    No Microsoft products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

  18. Re: Updating FireFox

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 22:33:21 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Just the fact that flash/java doesn't work properly is enough to save a
    > huge amount of what would otherwise be wasted time out of your day.

    IFYPFY.

  19. Re: Updating FireFox

    John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> <...>
    >>> BTW, despite my modern new system not working "out of the box" the
    >>> Debian system is really cool and I'm now in Debian world. I think you
    >>> tried it before Moog - try now from a Debian Lenny Business Card
    >>> installer if you have a spare partition.
    >>>

    >> I've no need to. I'm quite happy withe my mix of Ubuntu, Solaris,
    >> Fedora and Vista at present. I don't really fancy toying with Debian.
    >> I've got other things to play with.

    > Debian certainly is no toy. I probably will start a humongous thread by
    > saying this, but I consider Debian the best GNU/Linux distro. I have
    > Etch running on three boxes, and Sarge on ten.

    I did try it some while back (as a few in here know) and found my
    knowledge at the time wasn't sufficient to get X started. Hence my
    life in Ubuntu. This distro actually got me through some of the
    hurdles I couldn't get over as a "advanced computer using newb".

    > I have Fedora Core 1,3, 4 and 5, as well as Red Hat 5.2. Don't really
    > care for their RPM idea. Same thoughts for the Mandrake 8 and 10 that I
    > seldom use.

    RPM's are fine. It's just when you see what else is out there that you
    start to wonder about yast and the like. The amount of dependency hell
    errors i've seen is eye watering.

    > I have no Vistas, and I want no Vistas.

    I didn't want any. I had no choice. I need it for accessing an
    accountancy package. FWIW, I don't actually mind the drm riddled pile
    of dog turd.

    > Now Solaris.... I tried to install it, and the install actually went
    > fine. Except it couldn't find my NIC. So what good is a non-networked
    > Unix box except for maybe a game box (and not many games for Unix I
    > bet)? This was Solaris 10.

    Sorry. I should have stated OpenSolaris. I actually got the Open
    Solaris Starter Kit Free DVD which, although taking a while to arrive,
    is very good.
    http://www.opensolaris.org/os/

    > Did you have any trouble with it identifying your NIC?

    Nope. It picked it up straightaway on one of the installation routines
    on the DVD I was sent. Realtek NIC here BTW.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  20. Re: Updating FireFox

    Moog wrote:
    > John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Debian certainly is no toy. I probably will start a humongous thread by
    >> saying this, but I consider Debian the best GNU/Linux distro. I have
    >> Etch running on three boxes, and Sarge on ten.
    >>

    > I did try it some while back (as a few in here know) and found my
    > knowledge at the time wasn't sufficient to get X started. Hence my
    > life in Ubuntu. This distro actually got me through some of the
    > hurdles I couldn't get over as a "advanced computer using newb".

    Of course you realize that Debian now installs GNOME as the default, and
    does the startx as a default.

    Perhaps you had too little RAM or video RAM?

    I fired up the old Slackware 10 box last evening to reply to a Slackware
    thread in this group. I had no idea what, if any, news client I might
    have installed.

    Slackware booted up fine, and pretty fast on the old 133 MHz Cyrix
    6x86-P166+GP, but when I entered "startx" it slowly loaded KDE. So slow
    that the HDD LED never went off, possibly due to spooling (the RAM)
    in/out of SWAP. I finally gave up trying to use KDE, and gave the box a
    shutdown command from another TTY terminal. It has only 48 MB of RAM,
    and a small 3.2 GB HDD.

    Something for a snowy night, when I run out of other projects.

    >> I have Fedora Core 1,3, 4 and 5, as well as Red Hat 5.2. Don't really
    >> care for their RPM idea. Same thoughts for the Mandrake 8 and 10 that I
    >> seldom use.
    >>

    > RPM's are fine. It's just when you see what else is out there that you
    > start to wonder about yast and the like. The amount of dependency hell
    > errors i've seen is eye watering.

    I had some encounters with Dependency Hell when using Fedora Core 1, but
    have not had any problems with the newer releases.

    Mandrake 8 was a lot of trouble, but that was back in the days when I
    liked being root all the time. I'd bet most, if not all of my problems,
    was because I wrecked the system.

    >> I have no Vistas, and I want no Vistas.
    >>

    > I didn't want any. I had no choice. I need it for accessing an
    > accountancy package. FWIW, I don't actually mind the drm riddled pile
    > of dog turd.

    I still have Win XP Pro on a couple of boxes, and some Win 98SE and
    Win95 as well. Mainly to have at least one of each for troubleshooting
    purposes to help others, by having a very similar environment to
    duplicate the trouble.

    Then there is AutoCAD. It requires Windows, so I will keep it around for
    that occasional AutoCAD need. Same goes for FileMaker Pro. I have a lot
    of databases, and haven't considered moving them over to some Unix-like
    OS database program.

    I do not use Windows on the Internet. Too tired of keeping all of the
    AV, anti-adware/malware/spyware programs updated, and running
    Microsoft's silly updates. Keeping it off of the Internet removes the
    need for such silliness.

    Same goes for the MacFarm here, except the SMTP/POP3 server does run on
    a Mac, behind wide-open router ports! I see 'em in the log now and then,
    trying dictionary attacks on port 25 from China.

    I could close port 110, since I never leave home anymore. Probably could
    also close port 25, since the majority of our e-mail comes from two
    ISPs, using Fetch on a Debian box.

    Personally, I believe all of the spammers and crackers should be lined
    up and shot. Is that politically-correct?

    >> Now Solaris.... I tried to install it, and the install actually went
    >> fine. Except it couldn't find my NIC. So what good is a non-networked
    >> Unix box except for maybe a game box (and not many games for Unix I
    >> bet)? This was Solaris 10.
    >>

    > Sorry. I should have stated OpenSolaris. I actually got the Open
    > Solaris Starter Kit Free DVD which, although taking a while to arrive,
    > is very good.
    > http://www.opensolaris.org/os/

    Maybe this is what I have? It was an offer about a year ago. Believe it
    was called their "Media Kit"? It was free and took a couple of months to
    arrive, getting here on March 3, 2007.

    Let's see....

    The DVD "jewelbox" cover says, "Solaris 10 Operating System 11/06."

    There are three DVDs.

    1. 11/06 Solaris 10 Operating System -- x64/x86
    2. 11/06 Solaris 10 Operating System -- SPARC
    3. Developer Tools

    The last one contains:

    Sun Studio 11
    Sun Java Studio Creator 2 Update 1
    Sun Java Studio Enterprise 8
    NetBeans 5.0

    >> Did you have any trouble with it identifying your NIC?
    >>

    > Nope. It picked it up straightaway on one of the installation routines
    > on the DVD I was sent. Realtek NIC here BTW.

    The computer I used (AMD Duron 1600) has a motherboard NIC. It is one of
    only two that I have with DVD drives. The other one (AMD Athlon 1200)
    has the Win XP Pro on a 160 GB HDD (C: 40 GB and D: 40 GB), and Ubuntu
    6.06 on an 80 GB HDD. I guess I could use the 80 GB drive, since I have
    Ubuntu 6.06 on this PC (AMD Duron 1800), which I use most of the time.

    Let me fire it up (Debian 4.0r1) and take a look to see what it is....

    john@Wintergreen18:~$ ssh wintergreen16
    john@wintergreen16's password:
    Linux Wintergreen16 2.6.18-5-486 #1 Thu Aug 30 01:46:45 UTC 2007 i686

    The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

    Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
    permitted by applicable law.
    No mail.
    Last login: Tue Oct 2 15:45:47 2007 from wintergreen18.my.net
    john@Wintergreen16:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [KM400/A] Chipset
    Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
    00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID
    Controller (rev 80)
    00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
    Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
    Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
    Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
    Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge
    [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II]
    (rev 78)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8378 [S3
    UniChrome] Integrated Video (rev 01)
    john@Wintergreen16:~$

    Guess Solaris doesn't like VIA, or the VIA VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78).

    john@Wintergreen16:~$ sudo shutdown -h now
    Password:

    The system is going down for system halt NOW!s/0) (Tue Oct 2 15:49:21
    2007):
    john@Wintergreen16:~$ Connection to wintergreen16 closed by remote host.
    Connection to wintergreen16 closed.

    [See how lazy I am; never leaving my chair at all!]

    Let's take a look at this box (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS):

    john@Wintergreen18:~$ lspci
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 740 Host (rev 01)
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual
    PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
    0000:00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS962 [MuTIOL
    Media IO] (rev 25)
    0000:00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus
    Controller
    0000:00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
    0000:00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
    [SiS] Sound Controller (rev a0)
    0000:00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0
    Controller (rev 0f)
    0000:00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0
    Controller (rev 0f)
    0000:00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0
    Controller
    0000:00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
    SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 90)
    0000:00:0d.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-7850 (rev 03)
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
    65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
    john@Wintergreen18:~$

    But no DVD drive (guess I could "rotate" them, or buy one since they are
    cheap). I really need a "portable" DVD drive, just for

    The AMD Athlon 1200 box (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS) has the other DVD drive.
    Here's its lspci:

    john@Wintergreen18:~$ ssh logia
    john@logia's password:
    Linux logia 2.6.15-29-386 #1 PREEMPT Mon Sep 24 17:18:25 UTC 2007 i686
    GNU/Linux

    The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
    the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
    individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

    Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
    applicable law.
    No mail.
    Last login: Tue Oct 2 15:54:17 2007
    john@logia:~$ lspci
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365
    [KT133/KM133] (rev 03)
    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133
    AGP]
    0000:00:04.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super
    South] (rev 40)
    0000:00:04.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    0000:00:04.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
    1.1 Controller (rev 16)
    0000:00:04.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
    1.1 Controller (rev 16)
    0000:00:04.4 Bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
    (rev 40)
    0000:00:04.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
    0000:00:0a.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax
    Modem
    0000:00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet
    (rev 10)
    0000:00:11.0 Mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20265
    (FastTrak100 Lite/Ultra100) (rev 02)
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11
    [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
    john@logia:~$

    Ah-ha! It has a D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10) on the
    motherboard. Since your Realtek worked, so should this one.

    I can do without this Ubuntu install, but maybe I'll save it, and
    repartition that 80 GB HDD, then install Solaris in the new partition. I
    have plenty of disk space (41 GB):

    john@logia:~$ df -h
    /dev/hdb1 75G 34G 41G 46% /
    varrun 379M 140K 379M 1% /var/run
    varlock 379M 4.0K 379M 1% /var/lock
    udev 379M 100K 379M 1% /dev
    devshm 379M 0 379M 0% /dev/shm
    lrm 379M 19M 361M 5%
    /lib/modules/2.6.15-29-386/volatile
    /dev/hda5 75G 38G 37G 51% /media/hda5
    john@logia:~$

    Now if I could only find my roundtuit.

    Did your Solaris install provide any GRUB or LILO? Seems like when I
    installed it, it didn't, but it was the first install on the new 250 GB
    HDD. I would think Sun believes Solaris is big and bad enough to not
    ever need another OS on the same computer.

    I'd certainly like to look it over, having tired from the BSDs. I set it
    aside last spring, guessing available software is limited, unless I want
    to search for something and compile.

    My plans were also wrecked when I had a minor heart attack on May 7th.
    When I told my VA hospital doctor on a regular semi-annual visit on May
    17, she immediately admitted me to the cardiologist people, who
    performed an angiogram that afternoon. They found a 90% and a 65%
    blockage, and the next morning they inserted two stents.

    The remainder of May and part of June, I had a severe allergic reaction
    to one of the many pills they give me. I woke up itching like crazy, and
    nearly tore off my skin. I resembled a lobster from all of the
    scratching. I suspect it was the Plavix, since it was removed for a week
    and then restarted in July, causing some itching.

    The July removal was because I had an appendectomy on July 6. I actually
    spent eight hours on July 5th in the VA Emergency Room, but they
    couldn't say I had appendicitis from the xrays and C-T scan. So I went
    home to drink a bottle of Mag Citrate, but returned at 0500 the
    following morning in more pain. By 1030 I was out, and they removed the
    appendix, plus cleaned out the poison that had burst more than 28 hours
    before.

    I remained in the hospital for a week. The surgeon removed some sutures
    the following Friday evening. I started leaking fluid from the 10 cm
    wound on my belly, so I was taken back to the OR on Saturday and knocked
    out again, while they resewed me. Then it was another week while I
    recovered, for a total of 14 days as an inpatient.

    When I got back home, there were around 2800 articles to read in this
    newsgroup!

    A month later he removed the three large sutures that were irritating my
    skin, and I started feeling much better. The whole month before I
    couldn't hardly sit, or if I did, I had pain getting up.

    He also informed me that the appendix biopsy had cancer on it. However,
    no chemo or radiation is believed to be needed since the cancer was less
    than 1 cm, and it was removed. Who knows? I could be hit by a Mack truck
    next week. ;-)

    So, after the most intense summer in my 62 years, I have somehow
    misplaced my roundtuit. I'll find it, so stay tuned for more soap opera.