7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop - Ubuntu ; "It is inarguably accurate to note that, while Linux is a success on the server side--Apache on Linux runs more Web sites than Microsoft's ISS, though the latter is gaining--the open-source operating system has been a dismal failure on the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95

  1. 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    "It is inarguably accurate to note that, while Linux is a success on the
    server side--Apache on Linux runs more Web sites than Microsoft's ISS,
    though the latter is gaining--the open-source operating system has been
    a dismal failure on the desktop. There are at least seven solid reasons,
    which I'll detail below, why Linux hasn't moved the needle beyond a
    single-digit desktop market share since it hit the scene in 1991, and
    never will..."

  2. (OT) Troll Alert (Was: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't BlahBlahBlah)

    In <46fa3f75$0$4973$4c368faf@roadrunner.com> Ralph Machio:

    [Snip...]

    Take your gawdforsakin bloggers' FUD to cola, fercryinoutloud.

  3. Re: (OT) Troll Alert (Was: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't BlahBlahBlah)

    Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In <46fa3f75$0$4973$4c368faf@roadrunner.com> Ralph Machio:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    > Take your gawdforsakin bloggers' FUD to cola, fercryinoutloud.

    Nope.

    alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk would be more appropriate

    COLA already has more than its fair share of nimwits
    --
    I doubt, therefore I might be.

  4. Re: (OT) Troll Alert (Was: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't BlahBlahBlah)

    Harold Stevens wrote:

    > Take your gawdforsakin bloggers' FUD to cola, fercryinoutloud.

    COLA doesn't want it, either. :-)

  5. Re: (OT) Troll Alert (Was: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't BlahBlahBlah)

    vbRAD has an opinion column on why Linux sucks as a desktop OS.

    "What brought this article on is availability of cheap PCs, sub $300 PCs
    from mass merchandisers like Walmart. These PCs are loaded with various
    Linux distros like Mandrake, for instance. The assumption is that these PCs
    are being bought by first time users (or maybe as a second PC) who are not
    computer experts or light Windows users. I've recently witnessed three
    instances of where these PCs were purchased, then the hard drive was
    reformatted and a copy of Windows was installed. I am sure there is more of
    that going on. The obvious conclusion here is that Linux for whatever reason
    did not pass the grade. Here are some reasons, in my opinion."

    I must say that I like Linux as a desktop OS, but it still has a bit to go
    before it takes off as a mainstream OS on the general user's desktop.

    "Harold Stevens" wrote in message

    > Take your gawdforsakin bloggers' FUD to cola, fercryinoutloud.
    >

    > --

  6. Re: (OT) Troll Alert (Was: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't BlahBlahBlah)

    "Peter Köhlmann" wrote in message
    >> Take your gawdforsakin bloggers' FUD to cola, fercryinoutloud.
    >>

    > Nope.

    Despite last week's article about running World of Warcraft on Linux with
    CodeWeavers' CrossOver, I can't help but feel a sense of despair when I
    think of gaming under Linux. It seems that over the last few years, with a
    few exceptions, things have gotten worse rather than better. Frankly, I've
    had it with gaming under Linux. It's not worth the time or the effort.
    The Tragedy of Loki
    You might remember that a while back a company named Loki Games tried to
    make a business out of porting Windows games to Linux. Loki had an ambitious
    idea and did deliver some good games for Linux. But could it pull it off?
    Could Loki show that there was a real market for games under Linux?

  7. Re: (OT) Troll Alert (Was: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't BlahBlahBlah)

    swen illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > vbRAD has an opinion column on why Linux sucks as a desktop OS.

    Well that's me sold. Well, it would be if I knew who the fycking hell
    vbRAD was.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  8. Re: (OT) Troll Alert (Was: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't BlahBlahBlah)

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:47:59 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > swen illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> vbRAD has an opinion column on why Linux sucks as a desktop OS.

    > Well that's me sold. Well, it would be if I knew who the fycking hell
    > vbRAD was.

    After a quick Google I came up with

    vbRad.com, a site about Visual Basic programming.

    I recently downloaded 3 flavours of Ubuntu tried 2 and did not bother
    trying the third as I was happy with Ubuntu Studio. Very little tweaking
    just had to get some codecs and load Pan with Opera and Thunderbird.
    (still can not make my mind up between Opera and Firefox so I found I like
    bits of both.) With no previous knowledge of Linux.
    Only time I now use XP is to use the MP3 ripper I have mentioned before.

    --
    Dave

  9. Re: (OT) Troll Alert (Was: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't BlahBlahBlah)

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:47:50 +0000, DaveT wrote:

    > Only time I now use XP is to use the MP3 ripper I have mentioned before.

    Grip does the job quite nicely under Ubuntu. So will Sound Juicer if you
    perform a little jiggery-pokery as can be found under the Linux Mint wiki.

  10. Re: (OT) Troll Alert (Was: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't BlahBlahBlah)

    DaveT illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:47:59 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> swen illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> vbRAD has an opinion column on why Linux sucks as a desktop OS.

    >> Well that's me sold. Well, it would be if I knew who the fycking hell
    >> vbRAD was.
    >>

    > After a quick Google I came up with
    >
    > vbRad.com, a site about Visual Basic programming.

    Heh. Well, that's me sold then. ;-P

    > I recently downloaded 3 flavours of Ubuntu tried 2 and did not bother
    > trying the third as I was happy with Ubuntu Studio. Very little tweaking
    > just had to get some codecs and load Pan with Opera and Thunderbird.
    > (still can not make my mind up between Opera and Firefox so I found I like
    > bits of both.) With no previous knowledge of Linux.
    > Only time I now use XP is to use the MP3 ripper I have mentioned before.

    Interesting. I've found grip to do everything required, but I don't do
    over much encoding.

    Ubuntu Studio is an extremely promising project. I love some of the
    default graphics, although the overall default feel is a little too
    dark for me. If I hadn't already have been running Fesity, I would
    have no qualms about running Studio.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  11. Re: (OT) Troll Alert (Was: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't BlahBlahBlah)

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:25:32 +0200, Mark South wrote:

    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:47:50 +0000, DaveT wrote:
    >
    >> Only time I now use XP is to use the MP3 ripper I have mentioned before.

    > Grip does the job quite nicely under Ubuntu. So will Sound Juicer if you
    > perform a little jiggery-pokery as can be found under the Linux Mint wiki.

    I can not get Lame to record near the same sound level that all my other
    mp3s are at so I would have to turn any mp3s up if I used any Linux. The
    only way I have got a similar result is by recording the mp3 then putting
    it through Audacity to lift the levels and saving it again. Far easier to
    swap the OS over (caddies), the software to convert films to AMVs is XP as
    well so not much of a problem. The last time I had the XP caddy in use
    must over a fortnight ago and I will just need it to rip the odd CD I get.

    --
    Dave

  12. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    In article , George Peatty wrote:

    >No powerful evangelist for Linux
    >
    >I'm not sure this is necessary. I think more important is the need to get
    >Linux in front of the public, which requires a cause, not so much an
    >ambassador. Linux public service announcements, Linux news stories, Linux
    >product placements in movies, Linux in general mainstream conversation. That
    >seems to be more what is needed.

    I would like to suggest that Bill Gates is becoming an "evangelist for Linux"
    unintentionally.

    I am not a programmer, hacker, geek, or any other type of digitally inclined
    individual. I am a plumber by trade. I do like to own that which I have
    purchased and use it without seeking the permission of others. I have not
    purchased any windows product since WIN98 because I refuse to go where Bill
    Gates is heading. It has nothing to do with technical issues - to me it is a
    matter of my freedom to use my computer as I wish. Call it politics, call it
    religion, call it a contrary personality, call it whatever you want. I know
    that I am not the only person who feels that way. There are thousands and
    thousands, if not millions of people who don't like the direction Bill is
    headed.

    About five years ago I tried to install Linux on an old machine and was unable
    to make it work. I abandoned the project because making Linux work was simply
    more trouble than I cared to deal with.

    About a month ago I was handed a disk with Ubuntu on it. The software divided
    my computer up and installed Linux on one side while leaving windows on the
    other and all I had to do was insert the disk and select the automatic
    installation. I thought that was great.

    That was not the end of the problems however. If you read all the
    details in message headers, you know that I have sent this message from
    windows. I have a collection of software that came with Ubuntu, but I am a
    creature of habit and want to stick with the familiar. I tried to download a
    Linux version of Netscape 7.2 because I have been using that version for
    several years now. I have not been able to install it. I keep getting a
    message about a missing library when I try. I'm sure the problem can be
    solved, but I don't care to spend hours learning about technical issues when I
    can simply switch back to windows to use the internet.

    I did notice a distinct difference in the five years between my two attempts
    at installing Linux. The first time around, every time I mentioned to a
    friend that I was installing LInux, I had to explain what Linux is. In the
    intervening time I have moved a thousand miles from the first location and
    aquired a mostly new set of friends. My new friends are just as non-technical
    as my old friends but I have not had to explain to any of them what Linux is.
    So I would say that Linux has achieved a widespread recognition among the
    general public. That is the first step toward acceptance.

    I think the greatest problem holding Linux back is the need for technical
    understanding. The knowledge of technical issues required to make Linux
    work is still greater than that which is required to use windows.

    It is my opinion that LInux will take off like a rocket when the people
    providing software supply the software as packages containing all potentially
    required support libraries and other items so that installaton is entirely
    automatic. Most people don't want to think hard or search for answers. A lot
    of people are simply unable to comprehend the issues relating to computers and
    software, they need an appliance that works - not a challenge to overcome.

    With windows I install software as a simple point and click operation. Linux
    needs to be so simple that software can be installed by plumbers, house wives,
    truck drivers, school children, grandparents, salesmen, etc. When Linux gets
    to that simple a level of operation, windows will fade.

  13. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    who cares? wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > About a month ago I was handed a disk with Ubuntu on it. The
    > software divided my computer up and installed Linux on one side
    > while leaving windows on the other and all I had to do was insert
    > the disk and select the automatic installation. I thought that
    > was great.
    >
    > That was not the end of the problems however. If you read all the
    > details in message headers, you know that I have sent this message
    > from windows. I have a collection of software that came with
    > Ubuntu, but I am a creature of habit and want to stick with the
    > familiar. I tried to download a Linux version of Netscape 7.2
    > because I have been using that version for several years now. I
    > have not been able to install it. I keep getting a message about
    > a missing library when I try. I'm sure the problem can be solved,
    > but I don't care to spend hours learning about technical issues
    > when I can simply switch back to windows to use the internet.

    Your problem here is that you are apparently not aware that
    Netscape was a version of Mozilla, and that Mozilla has been
    superseded by Firefox (for webbing) and Thunderbird (for
    email/news), both available from Mozilla.com. However Ubuntu has
    checked and installed versions of these available, all you have to
    do is download them.

    Netscape 7.2 is obsolete. 4.7 (to me) is not, for mail/news. :-)

  14. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On 2007-09-28, CBFalconer wrote:
    > Netscape 7.2 is obsolete. 4.7 (to me) is not, for mail/news. :-)

    That's because you're an ignorant win-droid, and don't know what you're
    talking about.

    Fix your non-Netiquette-compliant signature block, dufus.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  15. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > who cares? wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> About a month ago I was handed a disk with Ubuntu on it. The
    >> software divided my computer up and installed Linux on one side
    >> while leaving windows on the other and all I had to do was insert
    >> the disk and select the automatic installation. I thought that
    >> was great.
    >>
    >> That was not the end of the problems however. If you read all the
    >> details in message headers, you know that I have sent this message
    >> from windows. I have a collection of software that came with
    >> Ubuntu, but I am a creature of habit and want to stick with the
    >> familiar. I tried to download a Linux version of Netscape 7.2
    >> because I have been using that version for several years now. I
    >> have not been able to install it. I keep getting a message about
    >> a missing library when I try. I'm sure the problem can be solved,
    >> but I don't care to spend hours learning about technical issues
    >> when I can simply switch back to windows to use the internet.

    > Your problem here is that you are apparently not aware that
    > Netscape was a version of Mozilla,

    Hang on. If he wants to run Netscape, then surely that's his choice.
    Also, netscape is most certainly still available and being developed.

    To "who cares",

    If you want to post the installation error you get, this group will
    attempt to help you get netscape installed.

    Also, it may be worth checking out the following link
    http://oss.tribe.net/thread/e5533145...7-bb6b9c11c693

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  16. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Moog wrote:
    > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> who cares? wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >>> familiar. I tried to download a Linux version of Netscape 7.2
    >>> because I have been using that version for several years now. I
    >>> have not been able to install it. I keep getting a message about
    >>> a missing library when I try. I'm sure the problem can be solved,
    >>> but I don't care to spend hours learning about technical issues
    >>> when I can simply switch back to windows to use the internet.

    >> Your problem here is that you are apparently not aware that
    >> Netscape was a version of Mozilla,

    > Hang on. If he wants to run Netscape, then surely that's his choice.
    > Also, netscape is most certainly still available and being developed.

    No, Netscape is no longer being developed. The open-source version
    was buggy until they dropped the 'complete system' attitude and
    broke it up into Firefox and Thunderbird. Netscape 7 was an AOL
    modification of the corresponding Mozilla anyhow.

  17. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 02:57:20 -0400
    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    > > CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > >> who cares? wrote:
    > >>

    > ... snip ...

    > >> Your problem here is that you are apparently not aware that
    > >> Netscape was a version of Mozilla,

    > > Hang on. If he wants to run Netscape, then surely that's his choice.
    > > Also, netscape is most certainly still available and being developed.

    > No, Netscape is no longer being developed. The open-source version
    > was buggy until they dropped the 'complete system' attitude and
    > broke it up into Firefox and Thunderbird. Netscape 7 was an AOL
    > modification of the corresponding Mozilla anyhow.

    Netscape is at version 9 now, I remember trying out 8, must be pulling
    itself up by its own bootstraps if it's not being developed anymore.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  18. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On 2007-09-28, CBFalconer wrote:

    > ... you are apparently not aware that Netscape was a version of
    > Mozilla,

    No, Mozilla was the name given by Netscape to its release. When
    Netscape was open-sourced, Mozilla became a separate entity and
    rewrote the rendering engine.

    > and that Mozilla has been superseded by Firefox (for
    > webbing) and Thunderbird (for email/news),

    True. But they are still Mozilla products.

    On the other hand, SeaMonkey is Mozilla's application suite, which
    is still being developed. It includes browser, mail client and
    Usenet client as well as an HTML editor.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  19. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > Netscape is at version 9 now, I remember trying out 8, must be pulling
    > itself up by its own bootstraps if it's not being developed anymore.

    Heh. Don't worry Trev. CBF is nutzoid.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  20. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:52:30 -0500, Stephen J. Rush wrote:

    > Provide .rpm and .deb packages and you have most of the Linux
    > market covered.

    Are you seriously telling us that all there is to distro management
    is the provision of some packages in a repository?

    --
    Chris Game

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast