7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop - Ubuntu ; * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu: > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:03:55 GMT > Wes Groleau wrote: >> Moog wrote: >> > I agree Wes, you seem to have missed the winky smiley thing at the end >> > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 95 of 95

Thread: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

  1. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:03:55 GMT
    > Wes Groleau wrote:


    >> Moog wrote:
    >> > I agree Wes, you seem to have missed the winky smiley thing at the end
    >> > of the sentence.


    >> > There is absolutely no way I wouldn't fully test cross browser before
    >> > implementation.


    >> Perhaps our anger at the most popular browser being the absolute worst
    >> of the top twenty makes it hard for us to recognize humor associated
    >> with that fact. :-)


    > Especially when there's another thread concerning ****ibank's site that
    > oh golly, works in IE but not in anything else.


    I can add to the list. Chase's site will come up fine, any attemtp to
    sign in fails if you use firefox, IE works *shock*.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Anyone who has had a bull by the tail knows five or six more things
    than someone who hasn't.
    -- Mark Twain

  2. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:40:16 +0000, SINNER wrote:


    > I can add to the list. Chase's site will come up fine, any attemtp to
    > sign in fails if you use firefox, IE works *shock*.


    Must be a config problem Sinner, it's always worked for me in Firefox
    (signing in and all features) - Fedora Core 3, Ubuntu 7.04, and now
    Sabayon 3.4a

    Frank

    --
    "Life is not a spectator sport" - Jackie Robinson

  3. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    * frank wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:40:16 +0000, SINNER wrote:


    >
    >> I can add to the list. Chase's site will come up fine, any attemtp to
    >> sign in fails if you use firefox, IE works *shock*.


    > Must be a config problem Sinner, it's always worked for me in Firefox
    > (signing in and all features) - Fedora Core 3, Ubuntu 7.04, and now
    > Sabayon 3.4a


    Config? It dosent even work under Windows, any suggestions?

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    My father was a God-fearing man, but he never missed a copy of the
    New York Times, either.
    -- E. B. White

  4. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:40:16 GMT
    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    [snip banks with sites that only work in IE]

    > I can add to the list. Chase's site will come up fine, any attemtp to
    > sign in fails if you use firefox, IE works *shock*.


    Abbey was the same, although that's not the reason I told them to stick
    it up their arse. :-)

    Banks, who'd have 'em? They lend you an umbrella, then ask for it back
    when it's raining.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  5. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    In response to SINNER 's post. I thought everyone should know:

    > Config? It dosent even work under Windows, any suggestions?
    >


    uh dont use windows??? *grin*

    --
    Chris

  6. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    > * Roger Merriman wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > >> Consoles are going to be replacing PC games in the near furture. Its
    > >> easier for programmers to deal with known, unchangeable hardware then to
    > >> code for everything available.

    >
    > > that is line rather that has been around a while, but doesn't seemed to
    > > have happened, though it might, but i think that it's unlikely the pc
    > > game market is massive. i don't see it going any where, any time soon.

    >
    > Consoles have come a long way since the Atari 2600. I am still of the
    > belief, that given the choice a gamer would like to sit on the couch in
    > front of that new 60" TV with the massive surround sound system and play
    > and if the console can deliver the same or better level of graphics and
    > sound they would easily switch rather than be stuck on the path of
    > upgrading hardware endlessly. Console graphics are awesome and getting
    > better everyday. One or 2 more generations of Consoles and the
    > developers will be moving to the newer, better platform. I say 5 to 7
    > years left in the PC Gaming market at best.


    consoles have been close to pc's or better in terms of graphics for a
    while, some games yes are much better, on the couch, but others are not,
    for some games mouse and keyboard are better, and you don't hog the TV
    for so long.

    as long as you have pc's you'll probably have games, i think personally
    that the gaming pc's death is rather like the paperless office.

    roger
    --
    www.rogermerriman.com

  7. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    NEWS@wodger.demon.co.uk (Roger Merriman) writes:

    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> * Roger Merriman wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> >> Consoles are going to be replacing PC games in the near furture. Its
    >> >> easier for programmers to deal with known, unchangeable hardware then to
    >> >> code for everything available.

    >>
    >> > that is line rather that has been around a while, but doesn't seemed to
    >> > have happened, though it might, but i think that it's unlikely the pc
    >> > game market is massive. i don't see it going any where, any time soon.

    >>
    >> Consoles have come a long way since the Atari 2600. I am still of the
    >> belief, that given the choice a gamer would like to sit on the couch in
    >> front of that new 60" TV with the massive surround sound system and play
    >> and if the console can deliver the same or better level of graphics and
    >> sound they would easily switch rather than be stuck on the path of
    >> upgrading hardware endlessly. Console graphics are awesome and getting
    >> better everyday. One or 2 more generations of Consoles and the
    >> developers will be moving to the newer, better platform. I say 5 to 7
    >> years left in the PC Gaming market at best.

    >
    > consoles have been close to pc's or better in terms of graphics for a
    > while, some games yes are much better, on the couch, but others are not,
    > for some games mouse and keyboard are better, and you don't hog the TV
    > for so long.


    Consoles have almost never been better than a PC. IN fact lets make that
    "never". More convenient to use yes, but certainly never as
    powerful. Top end video cards for the PC are orders of magnitude more
    powerful than the things in consoles. People are running games at double
    resolution of consoles at many frames per second more.

    >
    > as long as you have pc's you'll probably have games, i think personally
    > that the gaming pc's death is rather like the paperless office.
    >
    > roger


    --
    To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.
    -- Robert Heller

  8. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Hadron wrote:

    > "Who Cares?" writes:
    >
    >> I have run Synaptic several times. It does not do a thing with Netscape.
    >> Netscape is not listed anywhere in the files Synaptic displays. I have
    >> found no facility within Synaptic that can search the system and locate
    >> the Netscape files that I downloaded.

    >
    > This is a "should have" for Synaptic - an ability to search the path for
    > a user and list self installed stuff.
    >
    > A lot of apps have the usual ./configure, make , sudo make install tasks
    > but few uninstall properly often leading to garbage preceeding the later
    > installed version.


    So never use ./configure without --prefix


    Florian
    --

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

  9. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 02:10:01 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > * frank wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:40:16 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    >
    >>
    >>> I can add to the list. Chase's site will come up fine, any attemtp to
    >>> sign in fails if you use firefox, IE works *shock*.

    >
    >> Must be a config problem Sinner, it's always worked for me in Firefox
    >> (signing in and all features) - Fedora Core 3, Ubuntu 7.04, and now
    >> Sabayon 3.4a

    >
    > Config? It dosent even work under Windows, any suggestions?


    Well, my sinful friend, let's take a look:

    I'm on my Dell 470 Workstation running 64-bit Sabayon Linux (Ubuntu is on
    my MacBook Pro running 3 versions in VMs), with Blackdown's JRE
    v.1.4.2.03 in /usr/lib and Sun's JDK 1.5.0.08 in /opt. I've got Flash
    9.0.31.0 and 9.0.60.0_beta082207. I've also got Mozilla XForms 0.7.0.1
    as a browser add-on.

    Now, looking at the http://www.chase.com web page, where my "remembered"
    login is displaying username but not password, peeking behind the curtain
    I see the following page structures:

    http://chaseonline.chase.com/device.swf
    /ccpmweb/generic/multimedia/freedom_ctr_mrq_918_312x90.swf
    /ccpmweb/generic/multimedia/freedom_rt_mrq_918_260x150.swf
    https://chaseonline.chase.com/sitemi...s/formpost.fcc
    javascript:connect();
    ISO-8859-1 encoding
    etc.

    So, you should have a correctly installed and configured JRE, and Flash
    with shockwave and flash as MIME types, and probably XForms. But again,
    sinner, I've been able to access this account which I've had for many
    years through several OSes.

    Frank

    --
    "Life is not a spectator sport" - Jackie Robinson

  10. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    MCR illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 08:00:44 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> SINNER illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> <....>
    >>>> Heh. Personally, I'm waiting for a port of James Pond. Sheesh...linux
    >>>> sure sucks grandma. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Havent checked but was James Pond an arcade game?

    >>
    >> It was a platform game originally released on the Amiga.
    >>
    >>> What about MAME?

    >>
    >> I can't be bothered with Emulators due to sheer laziness. ;-)

    >
    > SDLMAME can be got here.. http://wallyweek.altervista.org/ ready for
    > ubuntu.. and for ROMs go to www.pleasuredome.org.uk.. now you cannot be
    > THAT lazy ;-)


    Heh.

    Thanks for the links.

    --
    Moog

    "Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the
    leather straps."

  11. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    in 17487 20071001 102434 NEWS@wodger.demon.co.uk (Roger Merriman) wrote:

    >as long as you have pc's you'll probably have games, i think personally
    >that the gaming pc's death is rather like the paperless office.


    or the paperless toilet.

  12. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 30 Sep 2007 07:58:22 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Heh. I was just being flippant fella.
    >>

    >
    > I'm going to start taking all your remarks as flippant, until told
    > otherwise :-)


    Please do.



    --
    Moog

    "Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the
    leather straps."

  13. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Wes Groleau illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> I agree Wes, you seem to have missed the winky smiley thing at the end
    >> of the sentence.
    >>
    >> There is absolutely no way I wouldn't fully test cross browser before
    >> implementation.

    >
    > Perhaps our anger at the most popular browser being the absolute worst
    > of the top twenty makes it hard for us to recognize humor associated
    > with that fact. :-)


    Quite. That is assuming there was actually much humour in the first
    place and it wasn't just a "bit of a rant at that f*cking browser".
    ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the
    leather straps."

  14. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On 2 Oct 2007 18:27:07 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > > On 30 Sep 2007 07:58:22 GMT
    > > Moog wrote:
    > >
    > >>
    > >> Heh. I was just being flippant fella.
    > >>

    > >
    > > I'm going to start taking all your remarks as flippant, until told
    > > otherwise :-)

    >
    > Please do.
    >
    >
    >


    If I said the next thing I'm going to tell is the truth, but the last
    thing I just told you was a lie, would you believe me?

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  15. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2 Oct 2007 18:27:07 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> > On 30 Sep 2007 07:58:22 GMT
    >> > Moog wrote:
    >> >
    >> >>
    >> >> Heh. I was just being flippant fella.
    >> >>
    >> >
    >> > I'm going to start taking all your remarks as flippant, until told
    >> > otherwise :-)

    >>
    >> Please do.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > If I said the next thing I'm going to tell is the truth, but the last
    > thing I just told you was a lie, would you believe me?


    Possibly. But then again, if you could give me a few hours, I'll just
    forget about it.

    --
    Moog

    "Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the
    leather straps."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5