7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop - Ubuntu ; On 29 Sep 2007 07:07:25 GMT Moog wrote: > Heh. IE Tab. Now there's a blast from the past. I think Firefox's > popularity has reduced the need for that. I can't remember the last > website I visited that ...

  1. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On 29 Sep 2007 07:07:25 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Heh. IE Tab. Now there's a blast from the past. I think Firefox's
    > popularity has reduced the need for that. I can't remember the last
    > website I visited that required IE.

    For me only WindowsUpdate nowadays. Used to use it for Citrix Portals
    until I discovered the message about not having the Citrix web client
    installed was bogus.

    Also our own call logging system at work, the guy who originally web
    enabled it used VBScript on the front end. I re-wrote that in
    JavaScript and for the first few days sent all IE clients to a 500
    internal error page just out of spite :-)

    Bloody good invention though, if you had to view a site in IE then
    that saved having to open another window to do it. Great for testing
    web sites also although nowadays you need to test in IE6 and 7.

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  2. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Dan C wrote:
    > On 2007-09-28, CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Netscape 7.2 is obsolete. 4.7 (to me) is not, for mail/news. :-)

    > That's because you're an ignorant win-droid, and don't know what you're
    > talking about.

    Posting from Windows 98 doesn't make one an "ignorant win-droid"

    > Fix your non-Netiquette-compliant signature block, dufus.

    Subscribing to a service that adds lines to one's sig block
    is not a failure to comply with "Netiquette"

    Lighten up, Francis.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns
    it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... He is full of
    murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having
    come by their ignorance the hard way.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

  3. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Who Cares? wrote:
    > I think you are made blind to a specific problem by your knowledge of
    > Linux. My guess is that you have been using Linux for a while and the
    > current version is much simpler and more intuitive than earlier versions
    > that you have been accustomed to. So using it seems ultra-easy to you.
    > Linux is NOT as simple as windows for the unskilled.

    It's not as simple as Windows for the skilled.
    But neither is it as crappy as Windows, so I put up with it.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    There are some ideas so wrong that only a
    very intelligent person could believe in them.
    -- George Orwell

  4. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Aaron wrote:
    > they can not say M$ Windows is a single entity - Vi$ta has (at least) 5
    > editions: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, & Enterprise.
    > That is not even counting the previous flavors of XP, Win9X, NT, etc.
    >
    > I have very little experience with Apple (so I may be wrong) but it
    > seems to be a more unified OS - you get what they have, period!

    I guess it depends on exactly what you mean. With Windows, you
    have to dig a little (not a lot) to find out what the differences are.

    With Mac OS, you have two purchase choices: client and server.
    But during install, you have the ability to turn on or off
    quite a few optional components, which are usually clearly identified.

    > I plan on trying Ubuntu on an ancient computer soon. An AST Adventure
    > which kinda/sorta ran Win95. It has an AMD K-5 processor, 128 MB RAM,
    > 1.2 GB & 6 GB HD's. If it works I will let my grandkids use it, that way
    > they can learn on a stable OS. I doubt I would even want to try any
    > newer windoze version, it had trouble with its OEM.

    Again, I'm not sure what that last line means. Windows 2000 is the
    first almost stable version (if you either stay off the net or
    fix Bill's really STUPID default settings). After that, their
    failed attempts to out-do Apple, and their too-successful attempts
    to control the user make Windows 2000 the only version I don't hate.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    Heroes, Heritage, and History

  5. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    Moog wrote:

    > Roger Merriman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    > >> <...>
    > >> Want to play games?
    > >> Buy a fcuking console.

    > > if you like the games that console's do well yes, if not console's a
    > > poor choice.

    > Comsoles all have their unique sets of games too. I still think that
    > you're better off with a Wii, X-box, PS3, PSP or whatever over trying
    > to run windows games that aren't particularly impressive when
    > coompared to the current console games anyway.

    depends on your genre, console's at least last i looked and quick flick
    still seems to back that up. ie Strategy and few others are not really
    console strenghts.

    roger
    --
    www.rogermerriman.com

  6. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:59:34 GMT
    Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Posting from Windows 98 doesn't make one an "ignorant win-droid"

    Doesn't exactly give you street cred either.

    > Subscribing to a service that adds lines to one's sig block
    > is not a failure to comply with "Netiquette"

    Adding your own sig to make 2 is. He could so easily change his news
    service, or remove his sig.

    > Lighten up, Francis.

    Are there two Arnold Epsteins in this company? :-)

    --
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    Stan Laurel

  7. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    On 2007-09-29, Moog wrote:
    > Roger Merriman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>> <...>
    >>> Want to play games?
    >>> Buy a fcuking console.

    >> if you like the games that console's do well yes, if not console's a
    >> poor choice.

    > Comsoles all have their unique sets of games too. I still think that
    > you're better off with a Wii, X-box, PS3, PSP or whatever over trying
    > to run windows games that aren't particularly impressive when
    > coompared to the current console games anyway.

    consoles have their place for sure - we have a couple of consoles.
    but we play a lot of multiplayer games so we have 3 boxes that pretty much
    only run games. we often have cables running out of windows and across roofs
    that connect the neighbours into our hub to play as well.
    never tried to connect the ps3 to the xbox but i expect it is a big pita.
    the consoles collect dust and solitaire is just boring.

    --
    l'air du temps

  8. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On 2007-09-29, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> That's because you're an ignorant win-droid, and don't know what you're
    >> talking about.

    > Posting from Windows 98 doesn't make one an "ignorant win-droid"

    Yes, it does, Mac-boy.

    >> Fix your non-Netiquette-compliant signature block, dufus.

    > Subscribing to a service that adds lines to one's sig block
    > is not a failure to comply with "Netiquette"

    Yes, it is. He has been advised on how to fix it numerous times, by
    numerous people, and refuses to do so.

    > Lighten up, Francis.

    Bugger off, Spaulding.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  9. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    * jane doa wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On 2007-09-29, Moog wrote:
    >> Roger Merriman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> if you like the games that console's do well yes, if not console's a
    >>> poor choice.

    >> Comsoles all have their unique sets of games too. I still think that
    >> you're better off with a Wii, X-box, PS3, PSP or whatever over trying
    >> to run windows games that aren't particularly impressive when
    >> coompared to the current console games anyway.

    > consoles have their place for sure - we have a couple of consoles.
    > but we play a lot of multiplayer games so we have 3 boxes that pretty much
    > only run games. we often have cables running out of windows and across roofs
    > that connect the neighbours into our hub to play as well.

    Xbox live takes care of that and you can go wireless.

    > never tried to connect the ps3 to the xbox but i expect it is a big pita.

    Yeah if PITA means 'Cant be done' you are correct.

    > the consoles collect dust and solitaire is just boring.

    Consoles are going to be replacing PC games in the near furture. Its
    easier for programmers to deal with known, unchangeable hardware then to
    code for everything available.

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    The computer is to the information industry roughly what the
    central power station is to the electrical industry.
    -- Peter Drucker

  10. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    Mark South illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 05:40:12 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Merriman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> if you like the games that console's do well yes, if not console's a
    >>> poor choice.

    >> Comsoles all have their unique sets of games too. I still think that
    >> you're better off with a Wii, X-box, PS3, PSP or whatever over trying
    >> to run windows games that aren't particularly impressive when
    >> coompared to the current console games anyway.

    > There is a school of thought that once one has frozen-bubble**, one will
    > never need another game :-)
    >
    > ** The man page says that it is widely believed to have delayed the Sarge
    > release :-)

    Heh. Personally, I'm waiting for a port of James Pond. Sheesh...linux
    sure sucks grandma. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  11. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    SINNER illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > Consoles are going to be replacing PC games in the near furture. Its
    > easier for programmers to deal with known, unchangeable hardware then to
    > code for everything available.

    Quite. Hence why I would prefer to use a console if I wass actually at
    all interested in games.

    Anyway. My PSP makes for a great little portable pr0n stash. Take it
    anywhere, fit it in the pocket, and it *looks* like you're addicted to
    ridge racer, wipeout pure, GTA and not "debbie does dallas". ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  12. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    Roger Merriman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Merriman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> > if you like the games that console's do well yes, if not console's a
    >> > poor choice.

    >> Comsoles all have their unique sets of games too. I still think that
    >> you're better off with a Wii, X-box, PS3, PSP or whatever over trying
    >> to run windows games that aren't particularly impressive when
    >> coompared to the current console games anyway.

    > depends on your genre, console's at least last i looked and quick flick
    > still seems to back that up. ie Strategy and few others are not really
    > console strenghts.

    Indeed. Has anyone got Eye of the Beholder to run on Wine. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  13. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 29 Sep 2007 07:07:25 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Heh. IE Tab. Now there's a blast from the past. I think Firefox's
    >> popularity has reduced the need for that. I can't remember the last
    >> website I visited that required IE.

    > For me only WindowsUpdate nowadays. Used to use it for Citrix Portals
    > until I discovered the message about not having the Citrix web client
    > installed was bogus.

    Hmmm. Don't you just use windows update on automatic? OR did you
    really want to install WMP 11 and an updated Brother driver that never
    actually installs correctly. ;-)

    > enabled it used VBScript on the front end. I re-wrote that in
    > JavaScript and for the first few days sent all IE clients to a 500
    > internal error page just out of spite :-)

    LOL. I was thinking of doing similar with our intranet.

    > Bloody good invention though, if you had to view a site in IE then
    > that saved having to open another window to do it. Great for testing
    > web sites also although nowadays you need to test in IE6 and 7.

    Bollocks to IE users. They're not used to seeing correctly formsatted
    pages anyway. They wouldn't knowe if it was "right" or not if it hit
    them square in the mush. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  14. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Moog wrote:
    > Bollocks to IE users. They're not used to seeing correctly formsatted
    > pages anyway. They wouldn't knowe if it was "right" or not if it hit
    > them square in the mush. ;-)

    It's very tempting to act on that attitude.
    But sometimes, some of us just have to "suck it up"
    and ensure we don't alienate fifty percent of the
    potential visitors.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    I've noticed lately that the paranoid fear of computers becoming
    intelligent and taking over the world has almost entirely disappeared
    from the common culture. Near as I can tell, this coincides with
    the release of MS-DOS.
    -- Larry DeLuca

  15. Re: (OT) Troll Alert

    * Moog wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Mark South illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 05:40:12 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >>> Roger Merriman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Comsoles all have their unique sets of games too. I still think that
    >>> you're better off with a Wii, X-box, PS3, PSP or whatever over trying
    >>> to run windows games that aren't particularly impressive when
    >>> coompared to the current console games anyway.

    >> There is a school of thought that once one has frozen-bubble**, one will
    >> never need another game :-)

    >> ** The man page says that it is widely believed to have delayed the Sarge
    >> release :-)

    > Heh. Personally, I'm waiting for a port of James Pond. Sheesh...linux
    > sure sucks grandma. ;-)

    Havent checked but was James Pond an arcade game? What about MAME?

    --
    David
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

    Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for
    word what you shouldn't have said.

  16. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    "Who Cares?" writes:

    > I have run Synaptic several times. It does not do a thing with Netscape.
    > Netscape is not listed anywhere in the files Synaptic displays. I have
    > found no facility within Synaptic that can search the system and locate
    > the Netscape files that I downloaded.

    This is a "should have" for Synaptic - an ability to search the path for
    a user and list self installed stuff.

    A lot of apps have the usual ./configure, make , sudo make install tasks
    but few uninstall properly often leading to garbage preceeding the later
    installed version.

  17. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    Wes Groleau writes:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On 2007-09-28, CBFalconer wrote:
    >>> Netscape 7.2 is obsolete. 4.7 (to me) is not, for mail/news. :-)

    >> That's because you're an ignorant win-droid, and don't know what you're
    >> talking about.

    > Posting from Windows 98 doesn't make one an "ignorant win-droid"
    >
    >> Fix your non-Netiquette-compliant signature block, dufus.

    > Subscribing to a service that adds lines to one's sig block
    > is not a failure to comply with "Netiquette"
    >
    > Lighten up, Francis.

    So, you're that stupid too?

    Think.

    Yes, we know the service adds the sig. No problem. BUT he then insists
    on adding another. result? Certain news readers can not properly snip
    his sig garbage.

    Solution?

    Rocket science. Really.

    Either get another free news service OR stop adding the second sig.

    --
    "I once witnessed a long-winded, month-long flamewar over the use of
    mice vs. trackballs...It was very silly."

  18. Re: 7 Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed On The Desktop

    On 29 Sep 2007 18:27:58 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Hmmm. Don't you just use windows update on automatic? OR did you
    > really want to install WMP 11 and an updated Brother driver that never
    > actually installs correctly. ;-)

    It was on automatic but unfortunately for me I use Access 2003 at work
    and SP3 has broken it so I have to turn off those updates otherwise it
    will get pushed on me again.

    > Bollocks to IE users. They're not used to seeing correctly formsatted
    > pages anyway. They wouldn't knowe if it was "right" or not if it hit
    > them square in the mush. ;-)

    Trouble is it may not work at all, a scenario:

    (air code)
    Click Me